Thread: " A boy's life"

" A boy's life"

November 2008 www.theatlantic.com has an article about a young boy who felt he should have been born a girl and discusses the situation. good read. http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/20081...ender-children.

Maybe some day there will be more known about what truly is in our brains at birth. I have read about chemical imbalances,but I don't really know much about this. Wonder if any post mortem studies have revealed significant findings in transgendered individuals?

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    I have read that a lot of the TG conditions are congenital---The embryo being exposed to some substance or hormone at a critical stage of its development. --As opposed to being a genetic thing. Although in some cases we might be looking at a genetic factor in the MOTHER that causes her endocrine system to get "out of wack" when she is pregnant. This is likely to affect more male babies rather than female, as "female" is the default mode, brain and body wise, and male develoment is more complex and critical. Female babies are more rarely affected.

The TG baby wouldn't have "TG genes" as such. But it would likely inherit genes that would affect the pregnancy conditions in female descendants, that could result in TG offspring.