Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving in heels in UK

Driving in heels in UK

Please, can any of our UK sisters tell me whether it is illegal to drive in heels? Someone told me it was, although I find it difficult to believe as so many GG's do regularly.

I have never heard that it's illegal.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I would think it likely that if it was illegal, that the following UK site would have said so:

http://www.safermotoring.co.uk/appro...n-driving.html

Quote Originally Posted by safermotoring.co.uk
    The sole of the foot can become trapped underneath the pedal whilst raising your foot to change gear. Wearing mules, flip-flops and other shoes without adequate ankle support can lead to the foot slipping off the pedal or missing the pedal altogether. High heels are not advised for similar reasons. These dangers can cause accidents if you don't have enough time to recover the situation.

A 2005 survey conducted by Norwich Union Motor Insurance in the UK found that flip-flops are the most dangerous item of driving footwear. Of the 1000 motorists questioned, three-quarters said that they found it challenging to drive in flip-flops, yet a quarter admitted to regularly driving in them.

I don't think so !

I am not from UK, but if women were not allowed to drive with heels, is it mean that 90% of women in UK would have to drive bare feet or carry a flat pair just for driving ?
    Suzanne

I doubt that anywhere in the world there are any laws regulating footwear while driving. My idea is to get to point A and return safely. Hi heels, loose fitting footwear MIGHT create a situation leading to an accident. Best to err on the side of safety and wear something comfortable but safe. I have a pair of slippers with a slight cover on heel that keeps them from slipping off. I use them a lot..

Quote Originally Posted by DAWNB View Post
    I doubt that anywhere in the world there are any laws regulating footwear while driving.
    Barefoot

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    driving a motorcycle barefoot is prohibited in Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    In Brazil, CTB Article 252, IV prohibits, "Driving the car...using footwear that does not hold firm to the feet or that compromises the use of the pedals."

On the other hand, I did chase postings far enough to find that driving barefoot is NOT illegal in Scotland, contrary to claims from a shoe manufacturer.

I hope not wouldn't want you go get busted. and I don't think it could be Ive heard here in the U.S. it's Illegel to drive bear foot Maybe you can find out on line hun. Don't just go by what people say.
    Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Angie G View Post
    Ive heard here in the U.S. it's Illegel to drive bear foot
    No, that is incorrect. There are no US states in which it is illegal to drive bare foot, with the exception of motorcycles in Alabama. See the Barefoot article I referenced earlier, or do some googling.

Quote Originally Posted by MsPriscilla View Post
    Please, can any of our UK sisters tell me whether it is illegal to drive in heels? Someone told me it was, although I find it difficult to believe as so many GG's do regularly.
    Hi Priscilla, i am in the uk and often drive while dressed, but take it from me unless you are talking about a 1" heel anything higher (and I usually wear 4" heels) is an accident waiting to happen, i take a pair of slip on flats to drive in, much more comfortable too
    Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by Janie Gunn View Post
    Footwear laws (in Aust) is something that I've never given any thought to, I dont think there are any, and dont care anyway.
    Area by area official letters for Australia can be found at this link:

http://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/foru...1&c=1&t=100178

The others are similar to the one I quote here, except the others have less or no emphasis on the issue of accidents caused as a result of different footwear.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicmpc
    TAS - Tasmania

24 Feb 2003

Dear Dr Maddison,

I refer to your correspondence questioning whether it is illegal to
    drive a motor vehicle in Tasmania with bare feet.

I can advise that it is not an offence to drive with bare feet in this
    State. However, charges may result if an accident occurs as a direct
    result of the foot of a bare-foot driver slipping off the pedal of a
    vehicle.

The charge of "Drive without Proper Control" would be considered if
    the accident was attributed to the driver's lack of footwear.

Yours Sincerely
    (Signed)
    David Llewellyn MHA
    MINISTER FOR POLICE AND PUBLIC SAFETY

I never heard that it is illegal, but it sure is hard on both your feet and on your shoes - I buy women's driving shoes or shoes with 1/2 to 3/4 inch heels to drive in - much more comfortable and at the same time is still very feminine
    Love,
    JoAnne Wheeler

It's certainly not illegal to drive in heels in the UK - you can, however, be prosecuted (for not being in full control of your vehicle) if they cause an accident - as you can be if you drive in bare, or stockinged, feet, because apparently you then can't brake as hard...

It will also mean your insurance pays out, even if it wasn't your fault?

http://www.safermotoring.co.uk/appro...n-driving.html
    http://forum.sofeminine.co.uk/forum/...-barefoot.html
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

As far as I am aware it is not illegal. Driving in bare feet however is, even socks or tights are classed as bare foot driving I think. I don't drive in heels, never have, never will. I did once reversed my car off the drive wearing a pair though. It didn't cause me a problem, but I could never forgive myself if I drove any distance and then caused an accident and it was down to what I consider non sensible foot wear.

I always wear trainers or my work shoes (standard men’s leather loafers), if I am going for a drive then I will wear my driving trainers, a pair of Puma Speed Cat’s a nice unisex trainer, not manly but not particularly girly either.

Women’s Speed Cats

Men’s Speed Cats

See pretty much the same, though I was lucky and got the men’s ones (big feet ) that look the same as the women’s.

And for you lucky girls that have smaller feet (UK8 or less)

Future Cat, Women’s these are cute.

Amelia xxx.
    Last edited by Amelia Moxon; 01-06-2009 at 04:55 PM.

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar

Me, I tried driving in heels.... only a few times. It felt unsafe, the accelerator seemed remote to my touch and the big power was lurking. The brake felt as tho it needed to be really pushed and that was power assisted.
    The other me used driving shoes - flatties to you - and the me you know did too. Never mind prosecution, I minded my own personal safety. There were, after all, two of me to look after.
    ~Samm
    'Kerriana "Samantha.....i feel like I'm hearing her through fractured glass.. She makes sense if you kinda squint"

It's not illegal anywhere to drive with shoes on.... It's illegal in some places to drive without shoes... and if heels are shoes.... then by defination... you must wear heels if you drive else you might get arrested... Right?
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Talking This post got me to laughing...

Back in my rodeo days I used to have my spurs wired onto my boots. Try driving in spurs! Didn't take long for me to start carrying an extra pair of boots to change into. Don't think I will even try driving in heels. I can barely walk in them!!!
    Mostly a "manly man" but sometimes I really am overcome with an inner desire...

PVC Crazy Member iwearstockings's Avatar
    don't be ridiculous its not ilegal, but it is stupid, youcant properly control a car in heels I've tried!
    be safe change into normal shoes when driving!
    Peace through superior dress sense..

in aus. in most states anyway it is ilegal to drive bare footed of all things.
    my ex gf was a ballroom dancer and was caught short shoe wise and drove bare foot. puled up by cops doing licence check and he said he should book her for it. she showed him the only shoes she had and agreed bare was safer than the heels she had. he let her off with a warning. so here legal to drive in heels. ilegal to drive bare foot :|
    go figure mind you this was 15 years ago lol

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia Moxon View Post
    As far as I am aware it is not illegal. Driving in bare feet however is, even socks or tights are classed as bare foot driving I think.
    What is your citation on the illegality of driving barefoot in the UK? Cuz that claim disagrees with the citations I've already posted, which say that driving barefoot in the UK is not illegal.

It's NOT illegal to drive barefoot in the UK or drive wearing heels.....However, if you're driving is in any way impaired due to inadequate footwear you can/will be done for driving without due course and attention and/or dangerous driving.......

I've driven in heels (4in) and find that my driving position changes to accomodate the change in foot position, for comfort and safety.

I would say that you're only illegal driving in heels if you can't control them.
    Samantha K
    It's so hard being me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="1"]Now I shout it from the highest hill,
    Even told the golden daffodil.
    At last my hearts an open door,
    And my secret love's no secret anymore.
    [/SIZE]

See Sams pics at;
    http://cid-b4480c99b9b4cdd9.skydrive...e.aspx?lc=1033

I keep a pair of unisex looking sandals in the car. More comfy and safer, in drab or femme modes, and nobody questions why they are there.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tess-leigh View Post
    What is your citation on the illegality of driving barefoot in the UK? Cuz that claim disagrees with the citations I've already posted, which say that driving barefoot in the UK is not illegal.
    I was told that it was not legal to drive bare foot in the UK by my driving instructor years ago, but after a little research it turns out it is legal to drive bare foot, just not reccomended by many.

Though note:

[Law RTA 1988 sect 4]

Before setting off. You should ensure that
    * you have planned your route and allowed sufficient time
    * clothing and footwear do not prevent you using the controls in the
    correct manner

* you know where all the controls are and how to use them before you
    need them. Not all vehicles are the same; do not wait until it is too late
    to find out
    * your mirrors and seat are adjusted correctly to ensure comfort, full
    control and maximum vision
    * head restraints are properly adjusted to reduce the risk of neck and spine
    injuries in the event of a collision
    * you have sufficient fuel before commencing your journey, especially if it
    includes motorway driving. It can be dangerous to lose power when
    driving in traffic
    * ensure your vehicle is legal and roadworthy
    * switch off your mobile phone

That was taken directly from the government website.

Reading between the lines it basically means, you can wear heels but if there is an accident and your footwear caused you to loose control then you will be prosecuted.

Amelia xxx

Ahem... *points up to post #13*
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki B View Post
    Ahem... *points up to post #13*
    The one that repeated the link from post #4?