Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossdressing as an art form

Very Part Time Girl Melissa Anne's Avatar

Crossdressing as an art form

Does anyone else look at crossdressing as a form of art? I think that some part of the enjoyment that I get from dressing comes from being able to go through the creative process similar to a painter or sculpter. A painter takes a blank sheet of canvas and creates somthing beautiful or unique. A sculpter takes a block of clay or marble and creates something beautiful or unique. When I dress, I take a very average looking guy and try to create something beautiful with my femme look. This is not the only reason that I dress but it seems that part of the desire and enjoyment comes from the need to be artistic and create something beautiful from something pretty plain and average. Being able to capture this with photography only adds to the fun and the desire to try to improve my "artistic skills". Anyone else have similar thoughts?
    Melissa Anne, PPTG
    (Professional Part Time Girl)

Art & Dressing

I most definately think this is an art form, an ancient one at that. I'm proud to have any talent in this arena. It's hard for a lady like me to pull off a convincing job. But my "talent" drives me to do better every time. This has been in me forever just like music! I'm in the Arts in my professional life . I guess it's all wired to my brain or heart. Who knows, I'll just keep going. Peace, Charlene

Oh! Most definitey Melissa Ann! I see crafting myself into the feminine as Deborah (Debutante) in so many ways... and this opens up beauty, connection to art, and many other feminine aspects. It's a beautiful and wonderful thing... transforming of oneself... not to be feared at all!
    --------
    Love your woman within...

Know thy self -- Be your true self......

Yes I often look at it that way! I believe using all the tools available to produce a beautiful result for GGs and Cders is very much an art form!

Kelsy
    Born female intended

" Don't die with your music still in you!"

I agree Kelsey -- that if we do the transformation well, getting in touch with that elusive but beautiful 'feminine being', or 'being feminine', inside us -- and presenting well with clothes, make-up et al, that GGs (and others) will respect our efforts, and that we will have better connection with them. This will put aside any thoughts of abusing the feminine, or for selfish erotic behavior.
    It does take time to get there... but it is so wonderful when you do!
    --------
    Love your woman within...

Know thy self -- Be your true self......

Ohh yeah!!! It is art.. Expecially the makeup.. I love to compete in makeup contests... I'm the only guy.. And though I've never won.. I did come in second and never in last!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Female impersonators

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa Anne View Post
    Does anyone else look at crossdressing as a form of art? I think that some part of the enjoyment that I get from dressing comes from being able to go through the creative process similar to a painter or sculpter. A painter takes a blank sheet of canvas and creates somthing beautiful or unique. A sculpter takes a block of clay or marble and creates something beautiful or unique. When I dress, I take a very average looking guy and try to create something beautiful with my femme look. This is not the only reason that I dress but it seems that part of the desire and enjoyment comes from the need to be artistic and create something beautiful from something pretty plain and average. Being able to capture this with photography only adds to the fun and the desire to try to improve my "artistic skills". Anyone else have similar thoughts?
    One of the earliest names of crossdressers was female impersonators, mmmhh ....who is an impersonator? Encarta define "to impersonate" as:

1. mimic: to mimic the voice, appearance, and manners of somebody else, especially in order to entertain

2. act a part: to pretend to be somebody else, especially illegally in order to deceive

I think crossdressing can rightly be refered to an art.

My photos are art... Or at least I like to think they are
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Something clicked in my wife's mind a few years ago and she simply defined my crossdressing as my avenue to art. If that is what it takes, and it appears that it is, I am happy with it. [/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am a licensed Cosmetologist (hair stylist, not cosmonaut), work as a hair and wig stylist, makeup artist and permanent makeup artist, dressed as you see in my avatar and albums.

My web site www.apparentlyfemale.com

I have over 2,500 pictures on my Flicker site located at http://www.flickr.com/photos/9315394@N02/

...................Anyone else have similar thoughts?
    Yes very much so, and I'm very curious to see what I can accomplish with makeup here very soon as I bought up the whole makeup rack in October at the FD store

My SO did my face years ago and I wasn't to happy with it, but that was with her mild colors and her idea of how I should look.
    Now I've got multi colors, a choice of blonde hair, all types of crazy lashes and lipstick colors that are bright to work with.
    I think I'll pull it off but I'm not kidding myself, its gonna take a lot of practice.

Definitely an art

Yes, and the aim, as in all art, is partly enjoyment, partly discovery.

To excel in any art one needs great example, technique, talent, and resources. I know that I have learned here from all of you by your example (in some cases so admirable as to be almost paralizing, as being a painter and admiring a Rembrant), my techniques have gotten more than one tip, my talent (if any) has become more sure of itself, and I have increased my resources (not just by adding to my closet). Thanks to all, mistresses of this ancient art!

Valerie

Art form

I very much feel like I am creating something prettier.
    Hugs, Carole

Anyone else have similar thoughts?
    A friend of mine certainly does..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOjwVXpsE8E
    http://www.leahtrue.co.uk/intro.htm
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

Without a doubt I consider it an Art Form! In my case maybe not great Art, but still superior to a velvet Elvis or dogs playing poker.....

But for now I am in the process of priming the canvas so to speak. Am tired of Jackson Pollack size works, and am ready to move on to portraits.
    Last edited by DameErrant; 01-15-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Why not?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Non Nobis Domine, non Nobis, sed Nomine tua da Gloriam!"
    "Science without Religion is lame, Religion without Science is blind." Albert Einsten.
    "Champagne for our real friends, and real pain for our sham friends!" Irish American Toast.

I agree that it's an art form but the real transformation comes when we finally realize it's the person who makes all the difference and not necessarily what we look like.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

No i do not have an artistic bone in my body , and it shows ( but i enjoy it just the same)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

I see makeup more as a craft, possibly plastering. Trying to cover over the cracks.

Former Member
    Yes it is a form of art! A way to express my limited creativity in a way that is pleasant for me to look at.

ABSOLUTELY - I love the challenge of trying to turn an old male body into a lovely lady - it truly is an art form
    JoAnne Wheeler

can you zip me up please? Petra Bellejambes's Avatar

Art, without doubt

And in large part, my favorite and one of the oldest and most enduring forms. Its theater. Or theatre for my friends hailing from elsewhere.

A good deal of what we (or rather I, I don't want to make assumptions) do is rehearsal for moments when the curtain comes up.

When the curtain opens, even if it takes decades, it is performance. And that is as Art as Art gets.
    Blogging like a woman possessed at Voyages en Rose.
    Happy dressing, and happy everything else! Petra

For me, crossdressing is a very creative and artistic experience. When I'm in full makeup, I spend time in the mirror trying to work and enhance my female image in facial expressions, the way I stand, motions and gestures, etc. It is an art and I enjoy trying to improve my skill in it. Part of the art is in the photos, as mentioned. It's fun trying to get just the right pose and expression captured in a photo. In the dozens of photos I have of me all dressed up, I think did pretty good in a few. I hope to increase the number of good photos next time.
    [SIZE="3"]Tired of all the lies and misconceptions about crossdressing?
    Separate fact from fiction and learn the truth
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="1"]My wife loves ALL of me, not just my man-side. Will you?[/SIZE]
    My informative and fun website | flickr photos | YouTube videos.
    Things to consider when preparing to come out to your wife.
    The unique story about coming out to my wife.
    Meet the official Babes of myCDlife

Yes I consider it an art form. Don't people hang art somewhere? If that is the case, then perhaps I should retract my opening statement.

Babette

Quote Originally Posted by Babette View Post
    Yes I consider it an art form. Don't people hang art somewhere? If that is the case, then perhaps I should retract my opening statement.

Babette
    interesting take on it

People tend to admire art, so I'm going with that aspect of it.
    [SIZE="3"]Tired of all the lies and misconceptions about crossdressing?
    Separate fact from fiction and learn the truth
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="1"]My wife loves ALL of me, not just my man-side. Will you?[/SIZE]
    My informative and fun website | flickr photos | YouTube videos.
    Things to consider when preparing to come out to your wife.
    The unique story about coming out to my wife.
    Meet the official Babes of myCDlife

In my case it is kitsch art
    Last edited by monika; 01-14-2009 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monika View Post
    In my case it is kitch art

Ok Monika ,whats that ???? S/B with you GGart my friend