Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smile, don't nod...

Smile, don't nod...

I had lunch yesterday (in drab, unfortunately, since I was coming from work) with three LOVELY ladies I met on this forum. They were so sweet and gave me TONS of great advice and encouragement. There were several things I had heard before and read about here (but it absolutely never hurts, and is always appreciated, to hear them time-and-time again!) but there was one that I had never heard before:

"Always smile, don't nod. Guys nod. Women just smile."

I have spent a lot of time people-watching at public places and I had never noticed this difference until it was pointed out to me yesterday. And sure enough, as soon as I got to work today, I caught myself nodding a friendly "good morning" to my co-workers. I'M A NODDER! So I have yet another habit to break before I go out in public en femme.

It's such a small detail and it got me thinking about what else I need to be mindful of. What other small details should I be looking out for?
    I'm so far back in the closet that I'm finding Christmas presents!

"Women often don't seem to have a problem with us, as long as we're not romantically involved with them of course." - goofus

GOOD ADVICE - I will always remember that
    JoAnne Wheeler

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar
    Don't grin, smile

~Samm

'Kerriana "Samantha.....i feel like I'm hearing her through fractured glass.. She makes sense if you kinda squint"

Crossdressing Curmudgeon TommiTN's Avatar
    Our male habits are so hard to break sometimes, especially if we need to maintain a male persona for whatever reasons.

"It's such a small detail and it got me thinking about what else I need to be mindful of. What other small details should I be looking out for?"

Obviously be mindful of your walk. I do OK in heels because they practically force you to take smaller steps but I catch myself walking like a guy sometimes if I'm wearing flats. Keep your arms closer to your hips than you proabably do in guy mode and turn your hands out slightly. Also, GGs use hand gestures and facial expressions in conversation much more than men do. When you sit perch on the surface rather than just plopping down on it the way guys do and be sure to keep your knees together even if you're wearing pants. There a zillion other little things that we can pick up by observation and there are some CDs on feminine deportment available. Obviously the secret is to observe, pratice and internalize. Critiques by other more practiced sisters such as you got are also a great help.

"How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice! Practice!" (apologies to Henny Youngman)
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Yeah!! Its amazing how women smile and when they smile.. Took me a long time to master that (mistress that?). But once I did.. I can't stop smiling... When a local CD friend met me for the first time last summer... He walked right up to me in public.. I asked how did you recognize me in drab... "The smile"

Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I never thought about that before, and I think I nod. Hmm I'm thinking I should work on that...

OMG I'm a nodder!!!! I have observed the GGs and they always smile it is always so sweet. I'll have to correct my abhorant habit!! have you observed how men and women differ when they stand when it's a bit chilly outside!!? women stand legs clamped together with their arms folded under their breasts. and men stand with hands in pockets kind of slouchy!!
    check it out

Kelsy
    Born female intended

" Don't die with your music still in you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsy View Post
    have you observed how men and women differ when they stand when it's a bit chilly outside!!? women stand legs clamped together with their arms folded under their breasts. and men stand with hands in pockets kind of slouchy!!
    You're right! Good observation! Although so far I don't have to worry about that because I only own skirts but I'm on the prowl for a good pair of jeans. Yes, I can just see me stuffing my hands in my pockets and nodding at everyone!
    I'm so far back in the closet that I'm finding Christmas presents!

"Women often don't seem to have a problem with us, as long as we're not romantically involved with them of course." - goofus

Great now I have to amend all my posts where I said "just smile and nod" when confronted. SO I suppose spitting on the sidewalk is out too?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    Great now I have to amend all my posts where I said "just smile and nod" when confronted. SO I suppose spitting on the sidewalk is out too?
    Yeah, and ...AHEM... scratching certain areas too...LOL!

Smile and wave, boys....Smile and wave!
    Jackie

Your right! I always knew this, but never really stopped and thought about it. I never had a woman nod to me. I have to stop nodding!
    So I like dressing like girl. BIG DEAL!

Thank you (I wrote with a smile rather than a nod) for this nice little tidbit of advice. I'm going to work on it because I'm a nodder too.
    warmly, Linnea

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    the female version of the "smile and nod" is "smile and tilt"
    - Natalie

P.S. that's what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R where eliminated.
    -Mitch Headburg

"If you think you think outside the box, you're trapped in one"
    - M.C. Paul Barman

Banned Read only
    Yeah! The nod is a hold over from when men always bowed to women or superiors. You'll note that when you greet your boss or your minister, you usually nod, but they dont. They know that they're socially above you. If they do nod to you, its in a patronizing way.

Good observation, Cassia. Thank your friends!

Another male habit .. apparently ...

In the car at traffic lights, a man will pick his nose! . . you never see a lady picking her nose!
    Mirani - [meer-rahn-nee] Beauty to Behold; to "See" beauty

Hmmm . . . never noticed that the nodding was male thing. That women smile in greeting, yes, that men nod, nope - hadn't caught that.

Ugh.. I had read somewhere else that nodding was a 'tell-tale' giveaway. Yeah, I'm a nodder to. I've actually been TRYING not to, and I keep catching myself. The smiling, goodness, I need endless practice. I have been changing my wave, greeting, and been working on smiling as much as I remember, but it just seems like every significant smile feels too forced... *shrug*

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar

When I was a young girl, the given way of picking things off the ground was a must to know.
    Get alongside of the thing, bend at the kness and reach down for the thing that you wish to pick up.
    Sounds like a man thing...... it is the way of old men if you bend forwards. Keep the thing at your side

~Samm
    'Kerriana "Samantha.....i feel like I'm hearing her through fractured glass.. She makes sense if you kinda squint"

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Great tips thanks.

Thanks

I never thought about this. I'll have to pay attention & see if I'm a nodder.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

There are so many thing we do as men that we don't think about. How we walk, stand, Arm placement, how we sit plus others it's hard to get them all girly.
    Angie

Smile

Please remember that as GGs we have been doing this all of our lives, and we still get it wrong sometimes. I think that the best way to smile is to remember that you are out there dressed and proud and a very natural little smirk may appear that makes your eyes twinkle as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirani View Post
    Another male habit .. apparently ...

In the car at traffic lights, a man will pick his nose! . . you never see a lady picking her nose!
    no but I did see one putting on pantyhose you never see a man doing that

Not so new... well sorta GINA-CD's Avatar
    This is sooo true... felt stupid when I found myself nodding while reading this post...

I know I smile when I read most of Karren's posts though....
    I'll be ready when I'm ready

A man's got to do what a man's got to do. A woman must do what he can't.Rhonda Hansome

Theres no time to lose, I heard her say
    Catch your dreams before they slip away
    Dying all the time / Lose your dreams
    And you will lose your mind. / Aint life unkind?
    Ruby Tuesday, The Rolling Stones

It takes a lot of time and work to undo the nodding thing.

Also important, women almost always smile when they make eye contact, even accidental eye contact, with other women, but almost never smile at a man (One of my GG friends said, "Of course not! Smile at a man and he thinks its a come-on.").

Here's one for you -- men tend to wash their hands by interlacing their fingers, women seem to mostly wash with their fingers closed, as if washing with mittens on.