Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How should I come out to my mom/ added how did you come out

Kathryn Janos
    Quote Originally Posted by cindym5_04 View Post
    When I came out to her, it wasn't so much that I even wanted to. I was in my mid-20's and living at home and because I spent a lot of time in my room and not watching her same tv shows, she assumed that I must be on drugs. With my mom, you have to understand that we're all supposed to like exactly the same things as her no matter what- we're all supposed to be her clone. Anyway, one day she went snooping through my closet to find these supposed drugs (of which, I've honestly never touched drugs...ever!) and instead she found my boxes of heels, makeup, clothes, wigs, etc. When I woke up one Saturday morning, she called me into the living room and told me what she found- which in turn, caused my admission. My mom, with her skewed views on life, thought that me dressing as a girl was far worse than if I was on drugs, or if I was out raping women or molesting kids. Yes, you read right, CROSSDRESSING IS WORSE!! Go figure that one...
    Your mother wouldn't happen to be Rick Warren, would she?

Hi Alessandra,

Your Mum is your Mum and you are her son. Don't ever forget that that and cherish that relationship. Don't even try to dress in front of her for now. She will need time to accept what you are saying. My Mother phoned up the Samaritans when she heard! So keep it low key and develop it over time,

Good luck,
    I strut my stuff, I feel so proud,
    I need to shout, to scream out loud,
    I am Tricia I am she,
    I am who I want to be

http://tricia-dale.blogspot.com/

I agree with others that you should tell. However, this is not only hard to do, but you should be prepared with answers to some of the questions that others spoke of. Also, if you do tell her, you should be prepared for the worst case scenario. You know what that is----just check your own mind.

The question about whether to tell her is interesting. If you planned on cding in a more minor way, I would debate on whether she needs to know at all, except for the fact that if she does find out, accidentally, she could be more upset that you didn't trust her with this part of your life. It sounds like you are planning on more, and it's (or you want it to be) a big part of your life. So she is GONNA know, so best to be up front. On the positive side, she could end up being your biggest supporter, if not immediately, than over time. It sounds to me that since you do have a good relationship that you want to tell her, but may be just too nervous to do so.

Good luck, and best wishes.
    Last edited by Kelli Michelle; 01-26-2009 at 05:42 PM.
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.
    - Dolly Parton

Gold Member
    Well here is how I tell people if they don't already know, AND if it is a long time acquaintence-
    If they bring up the subject of CD or whatever, I will make a comment that suggests that I am also and they they usually ask "Are you CD....?"

Like this little chat I had a couple weeks ago with a now ex-friend -

Ex-friend - "...having a friend who is a crossdresser, that would be cool"
    Me - "Well you have one"
    Ex-friend - "Say what? You are a CD?"
    Me - "yes I am, and no I am not joking"

So maybe my approach is different but I don't bring it up with the "I have something I want to tell you" starter, I wait til it comes up and mention "By the way..."

That way you can tell people news without having to say it, they will ask you.

And my experience - With my real mom, my wife told her, and it didn't phase her one bit.

I would wait till some talk show was talking about cross dressing as a topic (springer nails this topic regularly) and then judge how she thinks of this behavior and decide if you should tell her..
    This is what I mean by "every guy can look like a girl from the right angles".. this is one of the first pictures of me dressed up.. very vague look.. almost fem...

Jerry Spinger--no way!!!

Carly's idea is good, if you can find one at the right time in the right place, but that would probably be difficult...plus the fact that Jerry's shows usually offer mere caricatures of whatever the theme of the day is---and those are usually most unflattering, to say the least. Use a documentary or some other show with an honest straightforward approach if you are so inclined, or rent a movie.
    The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.
    - Dolly Parton