Thread: full tilt boogie in Austin

Smile full tilt boogie in Austin

went shopping & dining en femme tonight in Austin. I don't remotely pass. Imagine Geraldo Rivera dressed as a hippie chick, and you're really close--except my voice is deeper, & I'm about 6'1" in heels! I wore my URU maxi skirt and matching cloak--dark purple sil & linen textured panels--with my dark purple suede boots, a big dark brown suede leather purse, my brown ribbed silk turtleneck that fits like a glove--showing off my fully-filled 38B chest--and a 5-strand necklace with metal & glass beads & copper plates. I look great--or at least the clothes do! I started at Buffalo Exchange near the University Campus. It was crowded. I had to park in the back and walk around the block to get into the store. On the way I exchanged smiles with several young ladies. Browsing in the store, a male SA asked if I was "ready to try on", and directed me to the dressing rooms. A nice boy with big teal earrings, but otherwise in drab, it seemed, asked how many items I had, gave me a tag with that number, and indicated the dressing rooms with "this way, sir". I tried on dresses ith not much luck, only one possible fit. Buffalo Exchange caters to a young, fit crowd at U Tx, apparently. Back to the racks for pants & found lots of winners--brown linen slacks, black stretch jeans & white boot-cut jeans I can wear into the office (and then change to look-alike drabs on arrival), a pair of short-shorts for workouts, and a pair of grey Zara heavy cotton suede knickerbockers that fit perfectly and look so femme with my boots that I just couldn't leave them. Very reasonable prices, too. Then on the way to the check out I picked up a pair of necklaces--al little black beaded choker with a carved ivory frog medallion (kiss me--I'm really a princess!) and a strand of natural-wood beads in various odd shapes. I chatted with the girl at the check-out, and then strolled out like little Black Sheep, 3 bags full. Then drove to Mother's Cafe, because I had promised myself a good Vegan meal. It was crowded as well--more to come!

Smile the rest of the story

again had to drive around the block to park & then walk back. Lots of people waiting on the bar/entry. I added my name --Lainie, of course--to the list, and was told it would be a 15 minute wait. Turned out to be half an hour, time to people-watch an skim the latest issue of "The Onion". Then a waiter smiled & led me to a booth. The waitress put down chips & salsa and sensitively offered to take them away--to which I agreed, no will power. I ordered a glass 'Lady Bug Red, Old Vines' so-called because the organically grown, pesticide-free was a bug-friendly blend of mostly Zinfandel. Appropriate for an Old Lady Bug like me, and it fit my order of a cup of roasted red poblano pepper soup and entree of BBQ Tofu, with sides of black beans (a Texas staple, y'all yankees might know) and sage mashed potatoes. The tofu was blended with peanut butter and covere with fiery sweet barbecue sauce. As good as any BBQ I've ever had, even as abeef-over. The mashed potatoes were grey, but I had faith enough to taste them, and the delicate sage was superb. I bantered with the waitress about room for dessert, admitted that I did want another glass of wine, but was content to stop at one, and ordered the vegan blueberry pie. Very nice--sweet as could be, and yet spicy. with a crust that must have been shortnin' bread. Absolutely the best vegan restaurant ever!
    ... and nobody said a word all night about how I was dressed as a girl, until now, when I am telling you. Tomorrow a tour en femme through th hotel check out, an art gallery or two, and then change back to drab for the drive home to my wife, who still prefers to remain in denial.

wow Lainie,sounds like your plate was full--literally! Austin seems to be a great city,and I'd like to visit there someday.Congratulations on representing us girls in such a positive manner!
    "And if you want some fun, sing Ob-Bla-Di-Bla-Da!"

I love Austin best of all the Texas cities - it is a very liberal town

JoAnne Wheeler

There used to be a great friendly lingerie shop in Austin called The Bizzare. I was down there on business, and walked in, in drab. The owner asked what I was looking for, and she showed me all the options, I ended up buying almost everything suggested, after her suggestion of trying it on, and her bringing me a red wig. Talk about pink fog.
    Have fun down there, and remember, Keep Austin wierd.

Way to go!
    I often have people ask me where they can shop in Austin. My answer is "Anywhere you like". Austin is VERY friendly and has well earned reputation for accepting the diverse.
    I'm so glad you had fun and enjoyed your time here.

Thumbs up and finally a remark on my wardrobe...

As predicted, I went out again Saturday morning--to the lobby of the hotel for coffee, to several art galleries on 5th & 6th Streets, an antique shop, vintage clothes store, and a restaurant, for a couple of hours in total, crossing streets at traffic lights without causing any car crashes. Chatted about the art with several of the gallery staff. Bought a nice weathered bronze crab from the guy who ran the antique store. Tried on jewelry & hats with the lady in the vintage store. She said I looked like a Musketeer in one, and seemed to enjoy putting necklaces on me. I bought one--beautiful strand of irregular mother-of-pearl beads with a shell annulus pendant and 7 strands hanging from that. A bit overdressed for a Saturday morning, but grannies in purple dresses can get away with that. By that time it was warm, so I dropped my shawl in the car as I went into the restaurant. The shiny, heavy necklace between my breasts rather emphasized them under my silk turtleneck. Ordered at the counter, chatted with the young chef/cashier. He admired my wallet! It's brown canvas, with embroidered details: the word "Vintage" and several logos that look retro. I told him I bought it in Holland, which I did, but didn't add that I wanted an alternative to my unadorned guy wallet with the hip-pocket curvature, when I was en femme.

Austin is really, really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
    Austin is really, really cool.
    Indeed it is! My SO and I were there a few weeks ago and had a wonderful time! We poked around some art galleries, and also spent time in secondhand book shops! There is a TG friendly bar, 'Bout Time, TxKim recommended which was also great fun.

Maybe Austin will become an alternative mecca to L.A. for CDers?
    Reine

I have heard a lot of good things about the Buffalo Exchange and I am definitely going to have to check it out.

A couple of other touring musicians told me I should keep Celeste out of Texas. I got my fist gig in Austin, and realized I should have come en femme. Can't speak for the rest of Texas, but if I return to Austin, I'll be in heels and a pushup! Great town, and great people, and oh my...what great musicians.- Celeste

Maybe I will have to visit Austin next time, I would have thought it would be redneck territory.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

WOW!!! awesome adventure.Yes Austin is a great place i live here i dont go out much but they dont bother you when out and about enjoy .

Wow....saw that the first post was back in 2009!! Very cool.....and sounds like Austin is a great place to be enfemme AND a musician!!