Our son is in a relationship with a very lovely woman. After a year of them moving from dating to sharing an apartment we had never met her parents (and, of course, they had never met us).

A few months ago our son and his GF started planning a chance to meet. They asked me, would I be more comfortable meeting the parents as a man or as a woman? After consideration I though it might be easier if they met me as a guy and told "the kids" of my decision. So "the kids" picked a venue where I'm only known as a woman!

I said, "If we go there, I have to go as Barbara, not as a guy."

"That's fine," they said.

Hmmmm, I was boxed in.

Plans were made and her parents were both invited and told about me (with my consent).

A couple of days before the event her parents suddenly backed out. The excuse was that her father had had a very rough week with lots of travel and would be too tired.

A few weeks later the meeting was rescheduled. This time on more neutral turf, a generic little restaurant pretty much equidistant from everyone.

I though about it and decided that if "the kids" had suggested female before I was going to be myself this time. Our son and his SO both agreed.

The week was a flurry of activity. Our son and his SO briefed my spouse and I on the likes and dislikes her parents have. In many ways, religiously, politically, etc. they are nearly polar opposites to my spouse and I. And, as I found out later, they were briefed as well. So everyone was on their best behavior.

Since the venue was casual, I chose a simple black pleated skirt, a purple and white top with an open U-shaped neckline, and casual 3" wedge sandals.

We were heading for the restaurant when we received a text from our son that he and his SO were caught in traffic and were a few minutes late. We texted back that we would wait somewhere and pulled over about a block away. In a few minutes our son texted that they were ready to arrive so we headed over. The other parents were in front of the restaurant as we pulled up, finding a parking space right in front of the place. As we were parking our son and his SO pulled into a space right across the small street. So we walked up together and introductions were made.

We headed into the restaurant and were seated promptly. Her mother took the lead and soon we were all in very pleasant conversation about topics on the approved lists. Even her father, a rather quiet kind of guy, joined in and, over dinner, we all had a good time!

As we left my spouse initiated a hug of the woman of the other couple and it ended with all of us exchanging hugs. Everyone was relaxed and comfortable.

The young woman walked her parents to their car while our son remained with us. She walked back to where we were because the car she and our son came in was right across the street from ours. She told us that her parents had really enjoyed the evening and looked forward to being with us again, apparently something they repeated to her a few days later as well.

The four of us, our son and his SO, my spouse and I, stood there for a minute. Then someone said, "It's stilll early, want to go to a movie?"

And the four of us headed to the theater.

Hugs,
Persephone.