Quote Originally Posted by GretchenM View Post
I simply love your account of the event. It certainly evokes all the irrational fears that seemingly pop out of nowhere when one first goes out into the real world and not just drive around or go for a short walk in darkness.
I pulled this quote from my thread about my first time going out because it really had me thinking about how nervous I was (still am) and why.

I honestly don’t know how this will be received but I think it deserves some consideration.

Certainly some of our fears are irrational but there are a lot people who hate transfolk. And although a huge percentage of CDers are straight and even married, your average Joe and Jane Doe do not know that. They see what they believe to be a trans person, or a gay person or someone who is a deviant or fill in the blank. And if it’s the wrong person who thinks you’re a transperson things could get bad.

Transgender Day of Remembrance is in a few weeks. And it’s day of observation of trans folk who have been the victims of hate crimes. They were killed because of who they are. I don’t mean to be a downer with this post but I’ve read a few threads where gals go out and there was a real threat to be fearful of and I remember one thread where a member wrote of how she was terribly assaulted.

Gretchen, I’m really glad my post was encouraging. And if you can, I hope you can get out into the world as Gretchen some day very soon. Plan ahead. Run through that plan in your head a few times. Don’t forget to put on your boobs like I did. Be very careful. Go with a group if you can find one. And of course, have fun.