Thread: An odd question. Anyone here self employed? Mor of a financial, tax question.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

An odd question. Anyone here self employed? Mor of a financial, tax question.

This will probably bore most of you, but I’m thinking about getting a small business license.

I buy all of my clothes exclusively online. I’m very much in the closet so I never shop out in the real world for my femme clothes. Over the years, I‘ve created a very large collection. So much to the point that my femme wardrobe is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than my guy wardrobe. Yes, its been a VERY expensive endeavor... I‘ve been able to find the majority of stuff I want to buy online, but it’s really difficult to find clothes in my size and style that I’m looking for. I‘Ve found some independent small retail websites that occasionally have things I want, but it gets VERY expensive quickly. I get the majority of my wardrobe from eBay as some sellers make the clothing themselves and are willing to make some customizations to fit my larger frame, but it’s almost always at a cost... and again, it’s s very time consuming to locate these few sellers that are willing to do this amongst the millions of sellers out there. Plus, as eBay has gotten bigger and bigger over the years, the truly good deals I could find several years ago from sellers are almost nonexistent. The fees have gotten higher and higher so the price points have gone up too. For example, I used to be able to find multiple auctions for Pleaser high heels in a size 12/13 and the ending price would end up being around 15-20 dollars. Since the listing fees are so much higher now, there are almost no auctions for pleaser heels anymore unless they’re re used and/or damaged and VERY difficult to find my size as there are SO many other dressers looking for them on there as well! Now most are fixed price listings that are the same price that I would find on any other website. Essentially, the heels I could buy for 15-20 bucks then are now 50-60 dollars now if I’m lucky.

I’ve also found some independent sellers online that offer some clothing that I DESPERATELY want, but they are wholesalers and I have to have a business license to buy from them. I already have a full time job, that I’m obviously going to keep, but its strictly 40 hours a week and I do have some extra time here and there where I could run a small business part time. I‘ve done some extensive selling in eBay quite successfully as well so I’m actually familiar with the entire process... although its always been done “off the record”. I also like the idea of some extra income helping offset my dressing/shopping costs. Also, theres so many more options to get customizable wholesalers out there as well.

But truthfully, I’m mainly doing it because i would have access to a lot more clothing that I love. I understand I’d have to pay for the license in my state and I’d have to keep records of orders sales... I also know I’d have to buy in bulk but I could easily fill my wardrobe and then sell the remaining items online.

So, in summary, would it be worth it? I’m not sure of the tax filing implications, fees, costs, etc... and any miscellaneous pros/cons that I’m not aware of?
    Last edited by SHINY-J; 11-23-2019 at 01:25 PM.