This year for the first time in 7 years I will not be alone on Christmas day, some years ago I joined a support group for single expats alone in my area it served its purpose until I got on my feet and built the life you all know I now have. The secretary of that group and I kept in touch after I left and over a period of time I found out that between 1975 and 1981 I worked alongide her brother who has since died I also learned she lived about an hours drive from me in England.
Now we come to this year and my friend who did not know I dressed and at the same time I was a trifle worried as to who got to know about me so when she Skyped me I was careful to be in drab however one day she said "is that nail polish" and I replied yes can I come over and see you there is something you need to know and three days later I went over and told her everything, her reply was "so what people should be able to be themselves".
From that day on when I visited her I dressed and at the same time we discovered a French restaurant doing English style fish and chips. having now become comfortable with being dressed even more so the fish evening approached and I asked her "trousers ( meaning drab ) or skirts" and she said skirts of course! and so it was,I had had lunch at this restaurant many times but not as Bobbi so this was a new thing for the owners We arived and absolutely no batting of eyelids no second looks no questions nothing just total acceptance and so it was for everytime since right up to the present day. about a week ago I was asked are you going to be alone for Christmas and I told her yes to be told would I like to share Christmas with her and her daughters family who live right next door.
I also mentioned about dressing as well and she said why not I have told my daughter all about you and her partner knows and they are ok with it but I don't know about about my grand daughter and boyfriend. Anyway this afternoon I asked again about dressing for Christmas and found out that grand daughter and boyfriend also had been told all about me.
By the way I had bought a Christmas skirt just for local wear and once finally I asked again about dressing to be told " of you course you can you bought your Christmas skirt and I want to see you in it".
So for the very first time A) I will be haveing Christmas lunch with a close friend but most importantly B) I will be dressed in front of three people who have never seen me dressed before and have only found out I dress a few days ago and C) I will be dressed specially for Christmas and be part of a party of 6 people including myself.
A whole pile of firsts for me but for these people all of them to take me on board some of them knowing very little about me will be a big thing. I am sure they will ask me hoards of questions and of course they will get the proper answers. Its only a few days away now but already I am feeling excited and ready for this new stage in my life.