Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you answer a census or survey honestly?

I see that many ppl arevoicing their opinion about the government and it's ability to keep quiet but I have to say that a long as we as a group continue to hide who we are we will not be able to be counted for anything and we will never be accepted. So no matter how we feel about the government ( i don't really trust them either) we have to show that we are here we have a voice and we need to use it.
    Be yourself society doesn't know that there is no such thing as being normal.

If you can't find the silver lining make your own.

Carbon-based Member eileendover's Avatar
    And in the end, we'll find out that all of our personal information, from government sources, credit card companies, and any company that gives you "points" for buying stuff, is ultimately owned by Google in its secret mountain fortress.

It's amazing how paranoid we as a group are...

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Nowakowski View Post
    I’m concerned about sharing my information with anyone.

Census information is protected by law, and everyone who works for the census must swear that they will never disclose any personal information. Penalties for any employee who might share that information are severe: up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. By law, the Census Bureau can’t share your information with anyone — including other federal agencies and law enforcement. Your information is safe.

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/about/whole.php
    I currently work for the Census Bureau, as a crew leader in the field, not just some clerk making phone calls. The privacy laws are taken VERY seriously, and the briefs I give to administrators of facilities with multiple residents at one location (group living quarters such as military barracks, hospital wards, assisted living, nursing homes etc) mention confidentiality THREE separate times. If any census worker releases any information, they are -immediately- fired, and the process starts for legal action against them. I can't even report if I find a meth lab at a location without this happening, the only things I can report are direct dangers to myself or another census worker going to the location to visit, like if the person at a location was threatening.

Quote Originally Posted by mklinden2010 View Post
    The idea that the census bureau, the census workers, etc. will keep things confidential "because it's the law" is just too funny.

The government will hire anyone with a pulse from my community to go around and knock on doors. They're the same people, talking about the same people, that they were yesterday.

So, no. Not hardly... Until they build better people I won't be building better answers.

As for the data collected, by any means... There's very little that's collected that can't be culled and back-tracked right to your front door, by one means or another.

I prefer to be mostly "out" in my personal life... But, anyone who wants to keep some of their private life private would do better to forget about having one.

Ha-ha-ha.

Too funny.

Governments of the people, for the people, and by the people respecting individual privacy....

For goodness sake, they had to pass a FEDERAL law to dis-cour-age people from yakking. That doesn't mean they won't anyway.

Is there anyone reading this who drives faster than the speed limit - "sometimes"?

Governments, and rules, by the way, are subject to change.

But, the information in the files isn't....

"Got cha!"
    The people hired go through a background check and sign forms saying they won't disclose that information, so another deterrent is also the charges of perjury if you willfully disclose unauthorized information. You aren't even hired if the background check doesn't come back clean, and there is a LOT of competition for these census jobs. Census data is released to the public, yes... but after 72 years, as per United States Code, Title 13 (Sections 9, 141, 193, 214, and 221) and Title 44 (Section 2108). http://2010.census.gov/2010census/privacy/index.php Click there to read the laws.

As for the questions involved on the census itself, it's very short: http://2010.census.gov/2010census/ho...ctive-form.php click there to view the form and questions involved. If you leave stuff blank, someone will call, then attempt to visit the residence. If the census is unable to contact you, they'll ask neighbors. Also not -everything- on the form is required. The form for the group quarters section is different, and is considered complete if any 3 of the first 5 questions are completed. (There are 7 total questions on that form, the last 2 are "Do you live or stay in this facility most of the time?", and "If no, where?") Those first 5 questions are:

*Name (Last, First, MI)
    *Sex (Male, Female; Mark ONE box.)
    *Age and date of birth (either answer determines this question to be answered)
    *Are you of Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish origin?(race is different)
    *What is your race?

You can answer -any- 3 of those questions and the form is considered complete and no other contact is taken/required.

If you need a reason other to complete or participate in the census other than just being required by law, every person in their community accounts for approximately $1400 EVERY year that their community gets in federal funding, distributed between state and local governments (which maintain your roads so you can drive without pot-holes as well as other things), and local organizations like homeless shelters, food banks, and other charitable programs.

Jesse
    "Good things come in small packages." -Unknown
    "If people ask, they're normally open and accepting to the answer, no matter what that answer is." -Me!

I don't trust the government to give them any more information than I have to.

Karen Sue

That depends on a lot of things. If I were in the same room as someone who don't know about my CD'ing I would never do it.

If I were alone or together with my partner and knew I could trust the anonymity of the survey I would not have any problems telling them I was a crossdresser, provided the survey met my requirements for filling out surveys which are that unless the survey is done for a good purpose (like academic research) I'll only consider answering it if I get something out of it myself.

1. No
    2. Considering my social/family circle, less than 1%. Overall... < 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

Aspiring Member

Some informative answers, but...

I think the question had to do with answering a census that asked about crossdressing, and, discussed speaking with a census worker.

There have been several very good posts about the law and the rules... But, in the interests of full disclosure, I've passed all those FBI checks, etc. and done the same or similar surveys.

And... I remember who told me what, where they live, what they plan on doing next, etc.

And, so, I haven't "ratted" anybody out - yet. But, put a gun to my dog's head and I might change my mind. Or, have a meeting and tell me about the "new" policy I have to follow - or, I loose my job, my security rating, and any helpful references...

So, when you think about it, it hardly matters then what "the rules" are when the stuff hits the right fan.

Keep that in mind... It's not paranoia, it's wisdom.

Don't answer if it feels like the wrong thing to do. It's your job as a citizen to manage your government.

Silver Member
    I am absolutely amazed at the hatred for this country and it's government that I am reading here. This is the greatest country in the world. It's also the most free country in the world. Who among all you nay sayers would willingly go live in a foreign country or think that life would somehow be better under a different from of government?

Yes, we have problems. Yes, there is lots we could do better. But honestly guys, where would you rather be?

Stephie

I not only would, I am anxiously awaiting the census so that I can. My wife expects no less from me either. "Aint gonna lie"
    Well behaved Women rarely make history

Hard to say....

Some days I ain't even honest with myself! But, at least I am honest about my dishonesty!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    I am absolutely amazed at the hatred for this country and it's government that I am reading here. This is the greatest country in the world. It's also the most free country in the world. Who among all you nay sayers would willingly go live in a foreign country or think that life would somehow be better under a different from of government?

Yes, we have problems. Yes, there is lots we could do better. But honestly guys, where would you rather be?

Stephie
    I have no hatred for this country, and I don't see that here. What I do see, and what I believe as well, is a distrust of our elected officials and most especially a distrust of the unelected and unaccountable officials that are being put in charge of more things with each passing day most notably unelected, unaccountable appointed czars with no oversight.

I love my country. If I didn't I wouldn't have given them 10 years of my life and the medical conditions that went with it. I have lived all over the world and would live no where else.

As for what information is needed for the census, see Article 1, Section 2 of the Constitution. A full accounting of the people is required for apportionment of districts, electoral votes, and whatnot. What they do not need is any information above and beyond this and have no business even asking, much less collecting it. So in my case this information will not be provided. Seriously, if they want then they can search for it and find it elswhere, but I will not volunteer it, it's absolutely none of their business.
    If I had any idea that therapy, hair removal, hair transplants, doctors and medications were so expensive I would have planned to be rich first.

General nuisance AliceJaneInNewcastle's Avatar
    I started this thread as a spin-off from the question of whether us TG people (including those crossdressers who reject the current definition of TG, which includes them) are obliged to out ourselves to an SO or potential SO.
    http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...d.php?t=127574

I predicted that many would lie and pretend not to be transgendered. Sadly, as can be clearly seen in this thread, I was right.

I also commented on the fact that the more closeted a person is, the more pessimistic they tend to be about acceptance by SOs. It seems that there is also a correlation to government paranoia, in the USA at least.

So in summary, if someone made a genuine attempt to measure the number of TG people within society in order to help remove the stigma and improve the provision of support services such as legislative reform, counselling, public education campaigns, etc, an overwhelming majority would lie or fail to answer the questions, thus indicating that there was in fact no need for those improvements.

This leaves me wondering whether many here like being part of a marginalised minority and wouldn't like crossdressing to be more socially acceptable.

Aspiring Member

Been there, did that. Love the T shirts...

>>Who among all you nay sayers would willingly go live in a foreign country or think that life would somehow be better under a different from of government?

I have and I would. The good ol' USA isn't everything good and wonderful that there is... Many countries offer freedom, safety, the rule of equal law, etc. Only a fool would think this is the best there is of everything. Fools are dangerous.

>>Yes, we have problems. Yes, there is lots we could do better. But honestly guys, where would you rather be?

G-u-y-s?

Your gun rack might be missing a huntin' cap or two....

If you don't get out much, at least take a Carnival Cruise or two before you disparage every other country on the planet with your, "USA - USA - USA" chants.

Other countries win gold medals too.

No way, that is not anybodys business except mine & the ones I choose to share it with.

Tammy's Transsexual girl. Joan Merrie's Avatar
    Yes, I would answer, MtF transexual. Because thats what I am.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tammy and me, not your usual couple
    :JoanMerrie:Yes I admit it I'm a trans rabbit.
    Simply me.

i would take the survay.for me i really dont care much.i have no problem saying that im just a mtf crossdresser.it would be fun to know how many of us there are in the world.we could never get a true number cuz i believe there are more of us in the closet than there are willing to admit to who we are.
    just a florida girly girl...................................what in the world can make this brown eyed girl turn blue(roxette)