Thread: Wonderful Day Out - Getting more comfortable

Gold Member

Wonderful Day Out - Getting more comfortable

A few months back, I had told my daughter, Suzie Q GG here, about my dressing and she not only was immediately supportive, but she wanted to start attending Tri-Ess meetings with me. The very first meeting, she became friends with one of the members, Dawn, and they have been planning on a shopping trip for all of us (this includes my wife, RedGG). Dawn is from Idaho, so I applaud her efforts in coming down for meetings. Some of you from Phoenix and Houston may know her as she visits your area and sometimes makes meetings.

Anyway, Saturday became that day. For me, it started in usual fashion where there was a plan in place and then right as I am ready to leave the house, my younger daughter (doesn't know) woke up and started watching TV which blocked my exit. But we reached into our bag of tricks and got out and on our way. We picked up my daughter and headed to where Dawn was staying to get her. As soon as I pulled up, I had to laugh. Right in front of Dawn's room (it was an outside entrance) was a trailer. I went to the door to get her and joked about the trailer being full of clothes and then she let me in and just maybe it wasn't a joke. But Dawn was looking fantastic and out shined me as I was in my usual casual to blend the best I can. Sorry, I have no pictures of Dawn to post. First, I don't have her permission to post anything. But in a feat of good planning, all of the pictures were on her camera and I bet everyone of me has her in it too. So when I got home, I took a couple of "12+ hours after getting ready and having my hair wind blown a lot" pictures. So I don't usually do good pictures, and these are probably no exception. I put them up in an album in my profile.

So off we went with a plan to go to a Tanger Outlet Center in Park City. For those that don't know about Park City, it is a ski resort, has a lot of the richer actors/actresses with places out there, and is home to Robert Redford's Sundance Film Festival. So it is a tourist trap and a place for those with a lot of money. But it is also busy which is what I wanted. I have been out before, but mostly to a movie, small chores, small stores, haircuts, etc. Nothing too jam packed.

On the drive up, we did a lot of talking and I found that this trip was on Dawn's bucket list. That felt great because I have been leaning on others so far, so it felt good to help someone else get out. Well, in typical fashion for me, the nerves starting climbing as we got closer. Of course that only means one thing once we arrive....bathroom stop! We went to the end of one strip and there wasn't a unisex bathroom, but being at the end it wasn't busy. Cake walk. Then we go on the attack and the nerves are gone.

We probably should have looked at the store layout and picked a better spot as we were in an area where the stores were pushing our budget or they were generally geared towards teens (or the Oshkosh store for kids). But each store got scanned heavily regardless. It was funny when we got to the Leggs-Hanes-Bali-Playtex and there was talk about whether to go in or not and I said, there are two crossdressers here, of course we are going in! We also stopped at a Coach store as I have heard a lot about those purses here. Not to be surprised, the least expensive one was $109 and one on clearance was $259. Just a bit outside my price range.

As we walked around, I couldn't help but look for reactions. I did notice some looks that were just checking us out, some that clocked us but just smiled, and the must for every trip out. It seems I always have one of these. Dawn was in heels and needed a break, so I kept her company at a picnic table while the GGs tried on some stuff. A lady walked by and broke her neck looking my way and as her husband was walking in the next store, she was jamming her finger into his shoulder trying to get him to look. I gave her the usual big smile. Once she was inside, she came over to the glass to stare and I gave her another smile and a small wave.

Well, we reached a point where we had only gone through about a quarter of the stores and my daughter was running out of time and had to be home. So we used what was left to go to a sushi bar. It was fairly busy place and thoroughly enjoyable, but a non-event otherwise. Even though it was getting later in the day (a little green in the face) we still got referred to as ladies by the waiter as we did all day.

So off went to take Suzie Q home and after doing that, we decided there was more shopping blood left in us and headed to Kohl's. Lots of shopping here and the group piled up on some tops, jewelry, and a dress. At this point, I was being made from 2-3 racks away, but who cares. Not an impolite person in the bunch. And this trip was a steal as I had printed a 15% off coupon before going and I noticed a cashier using a $10 off coupon over and over for everyone. Score!

But that was the end of the day for us. The main score for me was a pair of Nine West Black Satin 4 in Pumps for $15. The stores we went through just didn't have the kind of outfits I was looking for. Everyone found some good purchases, so that worked out good. For me, another bit of growth as it was the first time in such a crowded area; first time I talked to other people outside of SAs while out; and the first time shopping with another CD while we were both dressed (I have been out with Kathi, but that was before I was out dressed at all). Dawn is bubbling over as she had a wonderful time and ready for more. That made it worth it by itself. I am sure we will go back out and attack more of those stores soon.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    What a great day.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Sue, what a wonderful, exciting day - for you, for Dawn, and for your wonderful daughter!

It sounded like an incredible day. I'm glad you put lots of excellent detail into the description of it. I also can't wait to see the cute stuff you bought! I hadn't thought of going to the outlet mall - I've only shopped at the boutiques in Park City. I'll have to try them. Who knows, maybe I can find a factory-second skirt or pair of pants that will fit my freakishly long legs!

Again, thanks for sharing your wonderful day with us. It has been so wonderful to see your confidence increase each time. Like I told you from day one - whether you're clocked or not, have the attitude that you're supposed to be looking that gorgeous - because you are!

Kathi

Heartwarming story Sue. I can only imagine that someday, if the stars align just right, that my little girls will know me and accept me. That is but a dream but still, it's all mine. Your story gives me hope.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)