Thread: I stumbled across this is a Comic book forum

Smile I stumbled across this is a Comic book forum

The following is part of a conversation between two guys on a comic book forum. I thought the comments were interesting... What do you girls think?

Transvestite - Wants to appear as the opposite sex.
    Transgender/transexual - Wants to BE the opposite sex, often to the point of surgical alteration. Or more accurate possibly, believes they ARE the opposite sex, just in the wrong body.

Well, to clarify, I understand transvestite as someone who gets sexual pleasure from wearing women's clothing. Although, as I understand it, passing for a woman in public is the transvestite holy grail.

Wikipedia has a more refined definition. I thought the "holy grail comments seemed on the money" That is to say- I would love to "pass"! Anyhow, Wikipedia has a picture of Eddie Izzard on there "Transvestism" page. Interesting read, check it out =)
    Last edited by Ria; 11-28-2010 at 06:19 PM.

I'm more interested in the context of the conversation and how it came about and what the attitude was in regards to it instead of just knowing what their versions of the definitions are.
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

Smile Context

They were speaking of a renowned professor at a university that wore a skirt to school and has integrated skirt wearing into his professional wardrobe. Apparently people just don't care about it, students and teachers alike respect him no matter his clothing choice. So cool!
    Last edited by Ria; 11-28-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Aspiring Member
    That's really cool about the professor setting a new "trend" :P

I have to disagree with their definition of transgender though. I prefer Wikipedia's definition: "People who were assigned a sex, usually at birth and based on their genitals, but who feel that this an incomplete description of themselves."

I love it when people try to put a label on us....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

People like to put everyone into a group or stereotype, the fun is not conforming and not fitting into these pre defined groups it blows their minds.

Complex Lolita...
    "Well, to clarify, I understand transvestite as someone who gets sexual pleasure from wearing women's clothing. Although, as I understand it, passing for a woman in public is the transvestite holy grail."

[SIZE="2"]I’ve heard the exact same definition for “crossdresser,” namely a male who derives sexual pleasure from wearing women’s clothing – it all depends which explanation you decide to adopt and believe, and these inaccurate definitions keep rolling along, year after year. BTW, I do not get sexual pleasure from wearing women’s clothing, and yet, I am a transvestite. Go figure…

Also, I have no desire to pass FOR a woman in public – she can pass for herself, as far as I’m concerned. I wish to pass AS a woman in public, OK?
    [/SIZE]

Silver Member
    Were they talking about Dale Miller, the professor from Arkansas?