Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you talk to yourself OUT LOUD?

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    Heck yes I talk to myself. I live by myself. Who else do I have to talk to? I realize that it is a bad habit to get into, but I rather enjoy the fact that I always win the argument.
    You do? That's amazing, I only ever seem to win about 1 in 3 when I'm talking to myself
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by sara.s View Post

btw how is this CD related?
    This is how I felt it related to CD. I copied this paragraph from my OP (above) for you.

"One of those explanations is that it is a common soothing technique employed by “lonely” people to interrupt the silence, so they do not feel so “alone”. This got me curious about our group. There are many accounts of feeling “alone” or “lonely” attributed to the “isolation” factor attached to crossdressing. So I wondered if “talking to yourself out loud” might be a popular coping mechanism in our group."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't talk very much, period. I do talk to my snowshoe cat who follows me around when I'm working in my orchard. He talks to me so it's only polite that I answer him.

Only if I am practicing an affirmation! From what I've learned affirmations should be said in a normal or loud voice to make the body and unconscious mind to hear and act on it. Call me silly, but this is what I've read.

Crazy thought, where do these ideas come from? It's fun to hear the answers though. LOL
    Trudy Evonne Monroe

I can promise you this: beauty - comes from the inside not the exterior surface. Beauty is not something you put-on...it's something you bring out. Many sisters get so caught up in trying to improve their appearance that they fail to enjoy the pleasure of becoming beautiful. ¨Renee Reyes¨

Oh yes, I talk to myself a lot. I debate myself. ;D

Sometimes I do talk to myself.. especially if I am really frustrated.. it would be something like where the heck are my keys. or something like that.. (as if that would help lol) but it does happen..
    New facebook page feel free to add me as a friend. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...00003349942987

Chewies sister-moulted!
    Oh goodness - yes !
    I swear at myself , moan about the next doors , people cutting me up driving , bring the question of wedlock in the persons parentage , the weather , the lot !! Makes me wonder , if I'm doing it now , what the hell will i be like when I'm old n frail ?
    Mind you .....at least I've given up throwing rocks at full moons .........

Yeah, I do occasionally. I've lived alone a lot as an adult, and I think it stems from that. But I am always cognizant of what I'm doing and find it somewhat amusing.

When I was a tiny kid, I rarely had other kids to play with until around age 4 or 5, and being an only child, I lived in my head, a lot, back then. I'm not sure if I talked to myself back then, but it wouldn't surprise me. I still tend to live in my head now, which I am trying to change because I tend to spend way too much time in there.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

I don't... and I get really nervous when I see a grown man talking to someone who is not there and skipping down the sidewalk...as well as the guy yelling at someone to get out of his thoughts in the park...

...maybe the occasional humming to yourself or working through a calcualtion out loud is normal.
    Chickie

every day. But I don't always like my answers.
    Angie

neat thread! do I have to answer?

Banned Read only
    Yes, and it is usually the best conservation I have all day.

I talk to myself a lot. I also answer myself. I debate both sides. I am critical of myself. I have problems but they are my problems.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    While driving I tend to yell "you F#*ing A$$hole" a lot! At work I'm always taking to someone or something whether they are there or not. At home I'm a good listener!
    I don't go to work, but other than that I'm with Karren. My bride may disagree with the good listener part, but I really don't talk much at home. I wonder why?
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by eluuzion
    (1) Do you talk to yourself OUT LOUD?
    (2) If you do, to what degree do you do it? (Seldom, a lot, constantly, etc.)
    [SIZE="2"]Just a few minutes ago I was typing a letter to my cousin, and I was having a “conversation” with her (out loud) as I wrote it. I kept wondering if my sister could hear me downstairs. Later, I was printing a few photos to stick in the letter, and, while the printer was noisily doing its thing, I kept walking up and down the nearby hallway, talking to myself, or my other “self,” much like a friend would talk to a friend. I’m a Gemini, if that’s relevant at all…

This site has really exacerbated my penchant for talking out loud. I’ll go to bed and think, “Oh, good – nothing to write about tomorrow.” Of course, as soon as I wake up in the morning, I’m going over a response to a thread or a post, verbalizing out loud what I’m going to write. I’ve had times when I’ve spoken whole thread OP’s to myself, forcing me to get up and type the darned thing before I forget it! In this way, talking out loud is a valuable tool – years of secrecy have allowed me to go virtually undetected, but I slip up from time to time…

My sister also talks aloud, and my father did the same thing, so maybe it runs in the family! I can’t say I do it constantly, but I talk to myself a lot. Nobody’s around, you know…
    [/SIZE]

Yeah, I talk to myself too (sometimes not very politely!). It's one of my mechanisms for solving problems and arriving at solutions.
    I am careful where I do this of course, although today, people would probably think you were on the 'phone to somebody.

Nicola

Oh fantastic I'm not the only one.

I've done it all my life so much so that my husband and family have to ask sometimes if I'm talking to them.

Thank God for bluetooth !
    Presh GG

[ So it does definately go beyond the limits of CD or liveing alone ]

I Love Speaking, Singing Off to the Park I HAVE A BRILLIANT TYME. oops caps sorry.What started as??? I really can't remember has branched off to a wonderful
    way to sort my thoughts out..I find It can be a walking Prayer. Very interesting. This Morning Iwas Holding Court over my Changes-Good Nor Bad
    I Believe I read This A while Ago when The Internet came to being...See Me Mum Said Son????hehe That is Bad. Please Hun don't speak to yourself in front of (me)
    Now This Daughter Has Debated herself-Open up My Emotes in Awesome ways--Learned Just from this mallish change...How Kule--Sorry Mum.....This has Zero with being a Girl 100% about being Self smart--Peace---

I've done it all my life, the conversions are always fantastic.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

If something is bothering me and I am alone, I have yelled at the top of my lungs what I was thinking. I've found this to be very theriputic. Beats yelling at someone, usually my wife, and making things worse.
    May everyone you love-love you
    Kimberly Ann
    www.flickr.com/photos/kimmie487

I am convinced that my wife cannot formulate a thought without saying it. We're in the car: "that's a nice house....that sign is a pretty yellow color..... that's an ugly car......that nurse is smoking -she should know better....etc." It drives me crazy. So I tune it out. Then she asks me a question. I don't know she's talking to me, and she gets peeved when I don't answer. I guess I can't win. But we're pushing 18 years together.

The only time I talked to myself was in college. I had a learning system utilizing flash cards. I discovered that (like reading notes ..."yeah, I know that"...when I really didn't) preparing flash cards and testing myself helped me learn (only applicable for certain subjects). BUT, unless I said my answer out loud (making a verbal commitment) before flipping the card over, it didn't work. I looked at the answer and said to myself "yeah, I know that". If I said it out loud, it kept me honest.

I do sing to myself a lot. Others would not want to hear me.

Ok, this is not along the lines of things I generally share but, given the thread thus far I guess it's relevant so, here goes....

Yes, I do verbalize my thoughts out loud....more often than I realize. It's very difficult to control even though I know it annoys people around me.

The going theory is that I have an abnormally high communication rate in my brain....a remnant from being a grand mal eplileptic as a child.

I have been testing as having "high abstract reasoning" capabilities as the OP alluded to and, as I understand it, this was predicted by my childhood neurologist.

Perhaps not surprisingly, the problem seems to get worse if I am involved in solving a complex problem or am stressed and/or fatigued.

Over the years, however, I have learned that I can mitigate the problem by putting on some headphones and setting the MP3 player to some good environmental music. For whatever reason, it seems to make it easier for me to keep from involuntarily verbalizing my thoughts.

So, I mention all of this mostly to reinforce that, yes, it's a real thing....
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -- Mark Twain

Josie on Google Plus

Josie's Flickr Photostream

Dual Spirits (My Blog)

Silver Member
    Yes, I verbalize my thoughts out loud when I am alone and always have. I used to do it in front of others when I was young (I was not properly socialized as a very young child) until I finally realized people thought I was weird for doing it.

Yes, I am very analytical in my thinking (one reason I was drawn to technical work.) I also had/have, to some degree, an "ADHD" type mind (they didn't call it that when I was a kid.)

Yes, I am lonely, and generally have been my entire life.

Gold Member
    I not only talk to myself, but I lose arguments to myself.

Really, I do it mostly when it is a focus thing. One instance might be when I get mad at myself for a mistake. The other is usually for something like a sport where I go through the mental checks of the execution.

Well there was "me,myself and I" and now add "Diana" in the mix...guess who wins! Women!