Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: piercing ears worth it?

I got mine done for my 52nd birthday, and wish I had gotten them done years ago. I get about 1 or 2 comments a week at work from people who finally notice them and I just tell them it was a midlife thing, they make a joke, I laugh, and that is it. One other good thing besides what has been mentioned is that my wife will now buy me earrings for presents, instead of me only buying them for her, LOL. Go ahead and do it........................Stephanie

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    You might want to read my one-year retrospect that I posted about my experiences.

I've had mine done for quite a few years (done about age 38 now 56) have three holes two on the left and one on the right and wanting too get one more on each side. Its on my bucket list.

I think I had it done 11 years ago. I also got a small tattoo on my ankle. Both were considered "gay" or "effeminate" at the time. You could have one ear done ( and make sure it was the correct side because it was a flag) but not both so when I had both done people asked why? I said, if I was going to have one why not both? That ended that and now men with both is the "norm". I have many earrings and I would not go back to clip ons.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Not sure where I am yet Jay Cee's Avatar
    Your ears, your money, your life. Go for it. It's so common these days that it won't ellicit too many comments. It's totally worth it, just for the variety of earrings you'll have access to. Just make sure to keep the studs in, and keep the piercings clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Misti View Post
    Don't know yet, but it sure is on the top of my Bucket List, though!
    DITTO!!!!!!! I want to get mine done very badly but in the business I am in, I can't wear them at all. I am never home long enough for them to stay in and not close up before I can put them back in. I have been told just taking them out long enough to work say a 12 hr shift is too long in the first 6 weeks. But one day I hope.
    Sara

Aspiring Member
    To IamSara and to all; I am a volleyball coach and several of my high school players and my club players get their ears pierced at an inappropriate time (during the season) and they are not allowed to wear them warming up or during a match. If they are caught by the referees (and they look for jewelry, even belly button when their jersey flies up) I am charged with a time out. Therefore I instruct my girls to go to Claire's or Icing and get several of those plastic stud inserts. I think that 1/2 dozen costs less than $10. Unless you get about 6 inches from the ear and are looking straight at it they are virtually invisible. Additionally a small dab of concealer over hole and stud really makes it hard to see. In the past 3 years, over 60 matches a year combined, I have not been charged with a delay of the set timeout.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Shy Girl View Post
    But it would be a little cool, I just don't know.
    Ask any girl here who has worn a pair of pierced 4" hoops and you'll get your answer.
    YES...do it!

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
    Your ears, your money, your life. Go for it. It's so common these days that it won't ellicit too many comments.
    Jay Cee, when you got yours done, how did things go on your job?

I was considering getting my entire head pierced but none of the shops seem to offer this service. Wonder why not.
    Crysten

"Addicted to Victoria's Secret".

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    [SIZE="4"]Okay, so I'll go a little against the grain here. I don't have pierced ears and am not planning on getting them pierced. I like the 50's styles and consider myself a 50's throwback. I love clip-ons and modify earings I like to clips. It's very important to adjust the tension of the clips for your ears. It's pretty easy to do, but scares some people.

Ladies in the 50's wore clip-on earings. I love the feeling of long dangling clip-ons.
    [/SIZE]

i had both my ears pierced when i was 21 on my birthday. was the best decision i ever made! i highly recommend getting them pierced,the feeling of wearing long dangling earrings or huge 4 inch hoop earrings is sensational! i wear diamond studs in guy mode and usually huge hoops in danielle mode!

I'm 55 and just had mine done about 4 days ago. Had them done by needle in a piercing and tattoo place that was all government certified. No problems. The studs slide around nicely and they are all clean so far.

I have no regrets. They look great and if someone says something, I'll just smile and say "you think they look nice, you should see my other one" and watch them wince.

And No, I only had my ears done. :-)

I'm going to have mine done in a couple of weeks. Now, the "involuntary piercings" that I've had were never any fun, and quite painfull. (Nail gun misfires!)

Oh yeah, it feels really good, I wear zero gauge plugs in both ears which are more comfortable than 'traditional' earrings. I also have my labret and tongue pierced (14 gauge), I love both if them, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

I have double pierced ears and tow wear dangling or large hoops make me
    feel so feminine

I had mine done about three yrs ago when I was 62. The only problem I had was that was just before my granddaughter was born and when she was starting to get eye/ hand movement she thought the small hoops were great to put her finger in and yank after the second time and a very sore ear I took them out and figured I'd wait until she was older to do it again.

Aspiring Member
    I had mine done when I was twenty, I had the left pierced then had the right pierced a few weeks later. It takes about 6 weeks to heal, I never wear any in boy mode now so the holes are barely noticeable. It is nice when I dress though so I do think it's worth it.
    Be prepared for a few comments, but you could always take them out when they heal & just wear them when you dress.

I would say go for it, I was 63 when I finally got mine pierced and have no regrets. I wear my rhinestone studs 24/7 and only take them out when I want to wear something pretty along with pretty earrings.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Must be something about our '50's. I pierced one ear in college (the late '70's) and finally just did the other one a few months ago.(now 53)
    I get no questions, looks or remarks. Think about all the buys you see these days with both ears done, some with several earrings. The once that grate me wrong are the gauges, where they slowly add bigger and bigger inserts until their earlobe makes a hoop all by itself. Oh we all have quirks!

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marlacd View Post
    I'm going to have mine done in a couple of weeks. Now, the "involuntary piercings" that I've had were never any fun, and quite painfull. (Nail gun misfires!)
    Yow, Marla! Nail guns are DEFINITELY overkill for DIY piercing at home. I hope it wasn't a framing nailer...

I had both of mine done in my 30s, 30 years ago; no big deal. They use a device something like a hole punch that leaves the stud in place. One of mine started to get infected while it was healing, and I knew it would close up if I left the stud out, so I packed the hole with Neosporin and put the stud back in. End of problem. Thirty years later, they can be a little tricky to poke the wire through, but no pain or irritation, and few little things make you feel as girly as dangling earrings can.

Well I'm another who left it until 60! Had mine done 6 months ago, I've several sets of clip-ons but the pain of wearing them for more than an hour or so finally made me decide to 'go for it'. Made sure it was a respectable, clean and experienced beauty parlour. They used the gun method - fresh piercing head each time, scrupulously clean. Click, click, done. No pain, well perhaps nothing more than say an elastic band snapping briefly against you. Followed the cleansing advice fully before trying proper rings. No problems at all... My SO is not 100% but tolerates.* I don't wear my studs at work but usually pop them back in when I get home to keep the holes open or put proper rings or danglers in when I morph into Polly.

It's YOUR choice but I think the overwhelming response has been to 'go for it gal'

xx Polly

* Bless her, whilst I didn't get any earings for Christmas, she did buy me a lovely necklace and some pink lippy... (and she's helped me choose earings when out shopping)
    Last edited by Polly R; 01-05-2012 at 03:36 PM.
    On a journey from here to there. Mostly here but sometimes there....

I got mine done 3 years ago (29yrs old) , and have no regrets. i mainly wear silver or gold studs.

Yes pierced ears are worth having done. The choice of earrings is much larger also.
    TO OVER WEIGHT TO POST A PHOTO, MY wife tells me I look like I am pregnant

Smile

I've been lurking here for quite a long time and I always laugh when I see the pierced ear comments come up...I've had double piercings for almost 16 years...and I rarely get comments about them as it's not that big of a deal anymore to see men with pierced ears. I occasionally get comments about having double piercings, and that's it. No one cares!