Thread: Was it my imagination, or...?

Was it my imagination, or...?

O.k., so Last night I did a show for Gettysburg College in Gettysburg, PA. There were four other comics and I, one of whom was female.

I came on, did my set, talked about being a crossdresser, people laughed, done. Quite happy with the crowd response. There was another male comic, then the GG comic came on afterwards. She opened with something along the lines of "I have a REAL vagina." To which the crowd was like, "ooooooh."

The show was part of a presentation on diversity, and afterwards there was a group discussion with the kids on our comedy and how our different experiences shaped our outlooks. At some point she remarked "You all should have been in the car ride up with us. Especially me being the only (looks at me) REAL girl there."

Later on, I was relating the story of how a guy followed me home after a show one night. To which she replied (dead seriously) "I don't get it. I'm WAY cuter than you and this stuff doesn't happen to me!"

So my question is.. was I catching a bit of cattiness there? Is she threatened by me, or is it all in my head? In a way I took the "I'm way cuter than you" remark as a compliment because I feel like with most guys in dresses she probably wouldn't have even felt the need to make that comparison.

Pics of my outfit will be posted in the gallery shortly! :-)

Aspiring Member
    No, I don't believe that you were imagining anything. I think that she felt somewhat threatened by you (maybe because of who you are or perhaps you performed better than she) but nonetheless her comments were definitely put downs. Human nature being what it is when someone feels low they try to pull themselves up by putting the people around them or some unknown person down. She may have figured that you were the easiest target among the performers. Her opening remark was definitely catty and I would have replied later to her how much I enjoyed her opening remarks and that the only difference between the two of you is your plumbing and oh yes, and that you are not a b*tch! I would have added, cuter???? you don't have any mirrors in your house, do you?

You are a better person than I for holding your tongue. Congratulations on your performance and I can't wait to see your outfit.

It was just jealousy, you look great and some people can't handle that. Don't worry about it. just think that when you went home that night she was probably reeling, that is her problem not yours. big hugs Lucy.

Aspiring Member
    Violet: I'd vote for "catty" I experienced a bit of this from my Wife when I came out to her. She was a bit "guilty" about having let herself go a bit after 20 years of marriage.

Danielle

Can you say Me----ow? Knowing comics she was reaching for a cheap laugh. It sounds like it fell flat though. Hey if they all hit, stand up would be easy wouldn't it? My guess is she won't work it into her bit. I wouldn't ask her to be my second either. It is the easiest form of humor to attack someone, Ok almost as easy as self deprecation. How was the rest of her set? Sounds like she lost them on the first line to me Meee---ow
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

The avvy pic isn't me
    Diversity????

She must have missed the memo.

Idk if catty is the right discription but she definitely sounds like she had some kind if issue with you.

Aspiring Member
    The message I got was that she is hopelessly insecure. There was no call for her to call you out in that setting. She may have felt that you were invading the space she claimed as the "woman" comic and she took a shot at you (to keep you in your place?). She must have felt quite threatened by you to act in such a way.

I think her comments and the ones you have posted previously point to how well you are doing in presenting as a confident and happy T person.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

Girl underconstruction Paulette's Avatar
    Can we all say MEOW!! Violet as a comedian I am sure she is looking for an edge and the fact that you were carrying off the female comic role threaten her.
    Just and older girl trying to experience all that life can bring.
    "Life is not a dress rehearsal"

I wonder how someone with such a close-minded attitude landed in the midst of a presentation regarding diversity unless it was to demonstrate bigotry.

My vote also MEOW!
    I think her opening line should have been the c word instead of the v word. It would have fit her attitude better and would have probably been funnier.

well her comments do not sound like someone who was real happy with you. in this case, you were the REAL better woman. looking forward to your photos.
    This is a man's world, this is a man's world
    But it wouldn't be nothing, nothing without a woman or a girl
    —james brown

She would scratch you with her claws if she could!!! She is so jealous!!! You are doing great!

Silver Member
    Seems like you performed well and should not be concerned about a jealous comic who probably does not look as good as you do.

She may not have really meant anything by it, some people are just negative and always put down others. The main thing is, you are happy with your performance...she on the other hand will go home probably unhappy with hers and feeling like a looser. One thing I never understood about some comics is their inability to understand the crowd... at a diversity event, you probably want not to be the example of what's wrong in the world.
    Chickie

Sounds like her claws were out and she was scratching for attention.
    As a comic she probably didn't turn off her "humor" and thought she would get some laughs at your expense like they do at those "Roasts".
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I have to agree Violet. Your counterpart was jealous, scarred, and threatened by your presence and your performance. Trying to throw you under the bus was all she could come with? Being a former starving comic all i can say to her would be, "COME ON MAN!' Too bad she forgot that the purpose of all of this was to show diversity not to bare one's claws.
    If the clothes make the man then the makeup makes the woman.

One thing people like is camp humor.
    A CD being able to make fun of herself is akin to the Irish man telling Irish jokes the handicapped man talking about himself and the Pole telling polish jokes.
    The woman should have stayed with female or dumb girl jokes.
    You do not denigrate your fellow actors, it usually backfires.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I don't think you were imagining. She was - if not intimidated - somewhat less than accepting of you. I don't know why, perhaps its some deep seated prejudice against TG people. I guess even stand up comics participating in a diversity event can carry their own emotional baggage.