Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you/have you been offended if/when your SO suggested a new style of dress?

Would you/have you been offended if/when your SO suggested a new style of dress?

My post title says it all.

TIA for your thoughts.
    Susan GG

Me personally, NO. However, as we all know everyone is a little bit different. I would guess that many if not most would be happy to receive constructive criticism, in the form of helpful recommendations for clothes, makeup techniques, accessories, mannerisms to walk and act more like a GG. However, there are a lot here who do not have a communication process with their SO's. In those cases, it is sometimes hard to predict what reaction you may get. In a humorous, though oh so real way, it is like a man trying to answer honestly to his SO when she asks, "Does this make me look fat?"!

PS: I don't currently have an SO. But did before I started dressing.
    Last edited by AllieSF; 10-27-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Don`t have an SO.

As long as I am decently dressed under the law and no changes are made other than clothing, body hair removal, and makeup, and I don`t have to go out in public, the answer is no.

That said, I am a closet dresser with no plans to go out.

of coarse not my SO has great tastes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Having my wife give input to my dressing is always a step forward.
    Even if I do not agree I would accept it as a compliment and treat it as such.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Absolutly not. I gladly accept her advises because that help me to have a better look. Never been deceived. Thanks to my wife.

If I had a SO I would gladly welcome any suggestions

Banned Read only
    Not at all. I ask my wife for her opinion all the time and also the "why" of that decision. She never forces it on me, but she'll say x or y looks good and z does not because... There are a million subtle things about women and style that we are not close to and need to learn. Who better to tell us?

Sometimes a little sad, because i put a lot of effort into my femme look before i present it to Her, and wouldn't bother Her with any look i didn't really like, but i trust Her judgement as a beautiful GG.
    "You say, 'There's not a lot of me, left anymore- just leave it alone...'" (Tori Amos)

I think that would be a quality in a SO that I would want!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    If my fiancee had suggestions for me, I would see if they made sense, and if they did, I would do those. But I always have the final say when it comes to my appearance, and she seems to like my style anyhow.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

No, while I don't always agree with her style ideas for me, mostly she has a good eye for what I'm in to.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Not at all. it would suggest a new level of acceptance for me.

Absolutely NOT! Most of my fashion ideas either come from Mimi's advice or I run them by her for a "sanity check." She will often suggest things that I haven't yet considered and I've learned to pay close attention to what she says!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

No, I'm usually delighted!
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

No, always welcome her input. As said earlier in the thread, also shows a degree of acceptance.

I would not have been offended in the least. Everyone has their opinions and if my SO suggested this, I know it would have been said with kindness and consideration for me. She would just be being honest with me, and trying to look after me.
    Di

Not at all Ms Susan. My SO usually has very good tastes in outfits. The only thing we differ on is she says my breasts aren't big enough en femme.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Not at all , it reminds me a bit of the black dress red dress scenario
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Absolutely not! Actually neither my SO or myself would wear an outfit that the other did not approve of and think looked good on us.

My wife is very helpful with style suggestions.There is nothing I love more than going girly shopping with her - which we are planning to do in a month.

I would not be offended at all but there are some things which I wear as a fantasy thing which I would not even let her see. She is very supportive, but not opposed to have a cheeky laugh at my expense from time to time.

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    I would listen to what my wife told me, and see if it made sense to me. She has done it before, she also tells me that I wear things she would never wear but that I look good in them. She and I have different tastes but then we have different body shapes and can't for the most part wear the same things.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

Is the new national pasttime being offended, or worse, offended by proxy? If someone makes a suggestion as innocent as a new dress style and you get offended, you have a problem. I say this as someone who gets negative comments (disguised as suggestions) because I prefer an over-the-top style. Yes, my style doesn't pass well and I don't represent other out-and-about CDers in a positive light, but so what? You can take offense or get over it, as I do when it is suggested that I tone it down. So, take the suggestion as information or ignore it and move on.

My so's imput into dressing is very important. She has great style sence and any guidance is aways welcome.