Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am much like a female in so many ways...

I feel like personally that although I need quiet time, that I do like a typical female need to talk about my problems and how to solve them. I find that it not only feels better, but I get the problem solved better by talking it over with other people, rather than thinking alone.

However, I maintain that gender differences are both natural and societal. Some male/female differences are biological, and are a product of the brain and hormones, while others are dictated by society. Being transgender, in the case of a CD or a TS (before starting HRT), we have a completely or partially female mind under the influence of testosterone. So we have a unique perspective in which we are shaped by both our gender identity (partial or complete or other varying degree of female) and testosterone. So it is not surprising that we might behave stereotypically female in some ways, and stereotypically male in others. Our male/female behavior may also change from circumstance to circumstance too.

Also even if we are TS and transition and go on HRT, we still had a male upbringing, and lots of male habits to unlearn. We many never truly unlearn it, although we can unlearn it.

And once again not everything to do with gender is biological either. It is socialized, and we have our own unique personalities on top of gender.

So a cis-gendered woman will, on average, think more femininely than a CD or a TS because they have a female mind, estrogen, and female upbringing, while a CDer or pre-HRT TS has a partial/complete female mind, testosterone, and male ubpringing, while a transwoman who has been on HRT and in transition for at least a year has a female mind, estrogen, and has hopefully unlearned lots of male behavior, but some male behavior may be leftover.

So I see there being four different components.

1. Male or female mind, and our mind may vary along the gender spectrum - we can't change this, although how we feel can change from day to day or time to time

2. Testosterone or estrogen - if you are TS and transition, than you can change this, but it can't be changed if you are a CD

3. Male or female upbringing - cannot be changed, although past habits can be unlearned

4. Personality - some of it cannot be changed, but it is also very fluid so our personalities can be changed to some degree
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Just my 2 cents... Its been my experience that women want to talk about their problems and have an empathetic listener, with no action. Men, whether cd or not, want to solve the problem, whatever it might be, its engrained into us to find a solution, whereas with females, its merely an expression of feelings and opinion. I know for certain, I have gotten on the wrong side of that discussion multiple times by coming up with solutions to problems that women didn't actually want to fix, just talk about and express feelings about.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sc0rp10N View Post
    I know for certain, I have gotten on the wrong side of that discussion multiple times by coming up with solutions to problems that women didn't actually want to fix, just talk about and express feelings about.
    Yep!! My H is a huge Mr Fixit and can never understand why it drives me insane when he tries to solve impossible probems. Sometimes it's imperative just to talk about something rather than solve it. Surely men feel this way sometimes, too??

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell-GG View Post
    Yep!! My H is a huge Mr Fixit and can never understand why it drives me insane when he tries to solve impossible probems. Sometimes it's imperative just to talk about something rather than solve it. Surely men feel this way sometimes, too??
    haha!!! Nope, sorry, first inclination is always to solve the problem, fix the leak, make it go away so we can focus on things WE think matter. Now, we DO understand that many of those discussions may be expressions of frustration or whatever, but we're hard-wired to try to fix them. It's just who we ARE.