Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long natural hair or wig?

Long natural hair or wig?

Hi all!
    I was wondering if most of the ladies here enjoy wearing a wig while dressed up or did you let your hair grow long?
    This year I have decided to grow my hair but I do not know if it is related to the fact that my crossdressing got ?worse? or not.🧐

My hair has been long for decades, but I still use a wig. Men tend to have distinctly different hairlines than women and long hair doesn’t really cover that up.

Banned Read only
    Hairline is a dead giveaway at this point in my life. Wigs all the way. Mid quality lace ups, always. The cheap stuff is quite Halloween and the expensive stuff is just not worth it to me.

Ladies. wig is ok for around the house. but don't always hide hairline when hair is on the gray side like this older girl.
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen

Banned Read only
    have long hair and love it. Sure my hair line is receding but I don't care what anyone says. A wig is just as big if not a bigger tell than a receding hair line.

I just cut my white hair back to shoulder length from where it was down to my shoulder blades. It's almost always in a pony tail or bun because it's very fine. I'd like to find the right products to get more body so that i could wear it down.

I guess I'd have a little curiosity about what i'd look like in a wig, but since I like my beard and intend to keep it, it'll stay just a curiosity.

Hi Gia,

I was considering investing in a wig this past April. Kind of a birthday present to myself. Then Covid hit and everything shut down. Since the hair salon's were closed I decided to let my hair grow out and see what happens. It's been about 5 months since I've cut my hair. I probably should visit the hair dresser and have it cleaned up a bit and at least get it out of my eyes. Unfortunately, being a bit of a germ-a-phobe I don't want anyone hovering over and breathing on me.
    - Robin

Because life is too short not to.

It's ironic ... I finally found a group of guys I fit in with. Funny how they all enjoy being one of the girls.

Wife: Why do you fold your panties? Me: I don't like my panties in a wad!

Aspiring Member
    I wear women's clothes for fun almost all the time we are now in lockdown - always skirts or dresses. I don't wear a wig. My hair is male and there is a bald spot on top. I find wigs uncomfortable and only wear them when I present as a woman in public. I had long hair in the seventies and it was dark and shiny and wavy, so that I was often taken for a woman until I spoke (I am talking about being dressed in normal male clothes). Alas, now my own hair is not only sparse on top, it is grey and shaggy and looks very untidy. It is also too long to wear comfortably under a wig but I will have to do that all day one day next week when I go on a trip as Susan with a GG friend. The wig is the only bit I am not looking forward to.

It?s wigs for me...more variety, and decisions...short, medium, long, curly, wavy or straight. Since I dress every day, I?ll sometimes change in the afternoon. I still smile when I pass a mirror.

I have to wear wig now as I am bald on top. Many years ago, early to mid 70's I had a full head of past shoulder length hair that I really liked. But the times changed and I began to find it was an impediment to me in terms of job and certain social situations, so I reluctantly cut it.

When I retired I grew it out again for a few years, bald on top or not, but I began to get a lot of breakage, and my wife hated it, and it just didn't have the look it once had. I threw in the towel and cut it again.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

That is a question only you know the answer to.
    I grew my hair. It is very fine and Silver not gray. I just had a trim last week, The girl cut the back to match the sides pretty much. I have hair reaching my shoulders and is curling up on the ends because of it.
    Ponytails and buns are fun. I wear them all the time. Even Man buns.

I bet a nice longish wig would be great. Where would I place it when it is not on my head? I would need a wall like Moira Rose.

Natalie.

Quote Originally Posted by Gia View Post
    Hi all!
    I was wondering if most of the ladies here enjoy wearing a wig while dressed up or did you let your hair grow long?
    This year I have decided to grow my hair but I do not know if it is related to the fact that my crossdressing got ?worse? or not.��
    Gia,

I wore wigs all the time and they more than covered my grayish hair with no problems, ever. Then I decided to let my hair grow out. I stopped wearing wigs when my hair was too long to properly hide/contain my longer gray hair and sometimes caused my wig to move around too much needing constant readjustments. Once I went out a few times that way, it was good bye wigs!! I let my hair get past my shoulders and to a stage where it really needed a trim and a little shaping due to thin , dry, and split ends. I got it dyed at the same time. My hair stylist did undertones using small squares of aluminum foil to separate some of the hairs so that the final product had some lighter streaks (like highlights, but with natural gray hairs). It has worked fabulously for me and my look. I love the way it grows out and just slowly gets lighter all over as the dyed hairs start to fade. So my recommendation is to let your natural hair grow long, assuming you have enough to make it all look good, and then start having it trimmed, shaped and even colored by a good hair stylist.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Allie

PS: Here are some pictures when I when I was still; not full time not out to anyone. I always thought that they must have suspected something, but they never said anything until much later when I came out to them. The one with the red top was my natural hair color at that time (salt and pepper), the one with the aluminum foils at first hair stylist appointment, one with the dyed and trimmed hair at Thanksgiving 2014, and the last one from way back in 2010 wearing the style and color of wig that worked the best for me. In January of this year I had my FFS and my receding hairline is almost non-existent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AllieSF; 07-29-2020 at 01:57 PM.

I prefer to wear a wig. Even when I had a mop of hair, and grew it out on several occasions, I would still see an obvious man in the mirror. The wigs take me somewhere else.

Banned Read only
    Gia,
    Real hair is never going to work for me even TSs sometimes have to accept the fact they still need a wig .

Wearing a wig everyday isn't a problem if you choose a good one , my wig is very light and breathable , in fact I'm not aware of wearing one anymore , it's part of my identity which I'm comfortable with .

Salt and pepper long hair. It is about a foot long, which means I can easily trim the split hairs.

Marion

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    I have always hated to wear a wig.. They are so uncomfortable to me.

So, a few years ago I deiced to grow my hair long again..What i mean by"again" is decades ago, I was a bass player in rock bands with long hair.
    I also now have straight cut bangs that covers my hairline and that was also not that uncommon back then for males in rock bands. Straight cut bangs can also also be very feminizing.

Now that I appear in public as a female more and more often... with my obviously natural long hair as it is, wearing either a dress ore a skirt, etc, no one gives me a second look.
    Being 73 years old helps also.....as older people are expected to do somewhat unusual things at times.
    Also males and females tend to look gender neutral in facial features as they get older.

BTW, I tie my hair back in male mode.. and wear my male eye glasses of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 07-29-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Aspiring Member
    I still have "lockdown hair" so it's the longest it's been since the 70s.
    Usually I keep it cut very short so it's easy for me to wear wigs over it. I find my own hair gets very annoying when it gets long, so I keep it short.
    I've owned about 6 wigs over the years.
    Three of them were pretty cheap and I could never get them to look natural.
    The next two were much better quality and once brushed into place, looked quite convincing.
    My most recent one is considerably better than any of the others and looks totally natural when on.

The picture of me is my hair. I agree with the receding hairline to point. I feel that I have a huge forehead but my wife pointed out how many women also have a large forehead. So that actually makes me feel better. I do have wigs, a couple were pretty expensive. So who knows what the future holds, so I'll be keeping them. But as long as I can grow my hair regular I'll probably not need my wigs anymore but will have them as backup.

I have my natural blond real hair and haven cut it in over three years now it?s down below my bra hooks in the rear. I?m lucky that it?s multicolour natural has like four different colors all mixed together the only thing is I always keep it that way and a natural part in the middle as I?ve always had a widows peak and it covers that aspect of it. My only thing I hate about it is I have like tons of hair at 68 but it?s always baby fine and I have to wash it daily otherwise it looks shabby. Keeping it freshly washed makes it look really full it?s just a tad on the flyaway look too have to use hairspray to keep it tamed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    My hair has been long for decades, but I still use a wig. Men tend to have distinctly different hairlines than women and long hair doesn’t really cover that up.
    It really depends. Yes, some foreheads and hairlines are a dead giveaway, but not always and like anything else you can work some magic to make it work.

I’ve wanted to grow my hair, my entire life...finally leverage the silver lining of Covid to get it done....it was already “time for a haircut” in January, but now it’s nearly a 12” on top and basically at bob length. My wife braids it and sometimes I wear low pig tails behind the ears. I’m definitely going for it. I’m going as long as I can before the pressure to cut..and when that happens, I’m only getting a trim so people (family/employees/friends) get used to it, and so far it’s working. Success for me will be when I can put it all up into a nice bun (no Halfback stuff) and or awesome pony. I think I’ll be there by end of year :-)

I’ve done wigs...but for me, it’s all about the real deal..I know many can’t do that, so I don’t take it for granted. Then again, I haven’t gone long w/my hair in 45+ yrs, so I feel like I deserve it. My wife and her friends are jealous, and that’s kinda fun too :-)

My hair is usually a chin length bob, I have a wig or two but I do not wear them often

Reality Check
    If you can grow your natural hair out long enough for a female hairstyle and that long hair won't be a problem in your male life, I say go for it.

For me, it's a wig. One of the advantages of a wig is the "disguise" factor. When someone sees a "woman" walking down the street with shoulder length dirty blonde hair, they are less apt to recognize the guy they know with short grey hair.
    Krisi

Most of us CDs wear wigs. I tried growing my hair a couple of times during the last few years. I gave up at about 5 inches long because it didn't look good, and it was hard to manage.

As a youngster I had hair down to my shoulders that nearly passed for female hair. Now days I can get my shorter hair to look rather fem. Dealing with the wind is the main problem with keeping hair in place. So it's wigs for me.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Aspiring Member
    Years ago I grew out my hair, and it was very long. I eventually found a job more geared towards my career so I took a few steps to look more presentable. Instead of lopping it all off at once, I had a little bit cut off every so often, and when I reached shoulder length it started to look like a woman's bob hairstyle. If you can grow it out, that would be best.

However, now that i am old, my hair is thinning and I can't grow my hair long anymore. So it is wigs all the way now.

There is nothing like having your own hair. Wigs can be a pain. Sometimes too tight, too hot, itchy, they move around, maybe too shiny and unnatural but that being said for many of us it is the reality.
    I would LOVE to grow my own hair shoulder length, have it styled into a pretty, feminine hairdo. The reality is my genes said no. There is that male pattern baldness and receding hairline which would scream male to those that saw it.
    The flip side is with all my wigs I can change my look to suit my whims. Blonde, or brunette, short or long, left, right or center part. Today am I cute and perky, or mature and sultry. Wigs give us so much flexibility and for those that are not out to friends and family they help disguise us where our natural hair would be what everyone would know us as.

For those that can do it, bless you and I'm so jealous.
    For those that can't, I feel your pain ... now where is my blonde pixie wig ...
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !