Thread: What I see in nature

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar

What I see in nature

Spring is upon us here in the northeast, and I have noticed several things...with a new perspective.

I saw a pair of cardinals...the male was bright red, while the female was much more subdued and reddish brown.
    Wild turkey males (gobblers). will strut and fan out their beautiful tail fan, their heads turn bright red, and their feathers are irredescent to impress the females, which are pretty much plain looking.
    Peacock males also have beautiful plumage, and brightly colored tail fans, where the females again are rather hum-drum.
    The tropical fish I see when scuba diving are much the same, males are more colorful than the females.
    And the list goes on and on.
    My point is this: at what point did humans decide to reverse nature and have the females be the decorated (through the use of makeup), and brightly colored (just one look in the men's vs. women's clothing section and you can see this) gender of the species?
    Maybe we are actually doing what nature intended and all the men in drab are doing it all wrong!
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

In nature..... Males are pretty to attract females.... Females are drab so they don't draw attention and get killed by predators!! Since we don't have predators.... We changed nature long time ago... If you as a male become pretty.... Your going to go back to nature. And attract a lot of predators! Lol.
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Platinum Member
    Different species use different strategies. Be grateful you're not a male bighorn sheep! Mating rituals can be such a headache!

Being a nature nut myself, I've observed this too. Makes sense to me.

I've heard of a tribe in Africa ( the Wodaabe) where the men were judged in a competition of beauty, although their beauty competitions are becoming rare now due to changing values and outside influences..

I also recall that in the city of Juchita´n in the Mexican state of Oaxaca, the society is a matriarchal one, and transgendered sons (muxe’) were considered to be a good thing and encouraged, although again, modern western values are doing away with the tradition. There are other traditions where the flamboyant, feminine males were accepted or even valued, but it seems those traditions are being rapidly destroyed in today's world.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

Why do adult men have facial hair while women do not? Perhaps it has to do with the human species primordial mating habits. The only direct relationship between humans and the African lion is that both are mammals. The male lion has its prominent mane while the lioness has none. Biologists suggest that a lion's mane is a gender signal for other competing males or attracted females. Modern humans seem to be trending away from most males displaying some or all of their facial hair. I suppose our species has found other replacement signals.

Babette (Roar)
    Someone else's imagination is a terrible thing to waste.

Humanities greatest adaptation is our cleverness. We do not need bigger teeth or claws to obtain food or protect ourselves. We use our inventiveness to come up with complex prosthetics to enhance our bodies. an animal skin becomes a second skin allowing us to move into colder climates. A sharp rock becomes a bigger better "tooth" or "claw" attaching the rock to a stick extends our reach etc. It makes sense that people would over time find ways to use inventiveness to secure a better position in the increasingly complex social orders "invented" to increase a populations likelihood of survival. For thousands of years woman have had to "work around" men where as men simply do what they want because they are bigger, stronger and more aggressive. In the process woman would have to invent their own ways of improving their and their offsprings chances of survival. Improving ones appeal to the opposite sex improves ones chances of finding a mate with a better social status. Mens social status is based on prowess not looks, whereas a woman's appeal (to men) is her looks. Obviously this is a highly simplified explanation and many things could factor in to change the dynamic however I DO think my theory holds water. though modern humans have all but removed themselves from natural evolution our bodies and instincts would take thousands of years to catch up to our current level of sophistication. Basically sexually speaking much of our instinct is an adaptation that was useful 10,000 years ago but may be a detriment today.

Aspiring Member
    My all-time favorite gender-themed song, from Hair:

I would just like to say
    That it is my conviction
    That longer hair and other
    Flamboyant affectations
    Of appearance are nothing more

Than the male's emergence
    From his drab camouflage
    Into the gaudy plumage
    That is the birthright
    Of his sex

There is a peculiar notion
    That elegant plumage
    And fine feathers are not
    Proper for the male

When, actually,
    That is the way things are
    In most species

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    In nature..... Males are pretty to attract females.... Females are drab so they don't draw attention and get killed by predators!! Since we don't have predators.... We changed nature long time ago... If you as a male become pretty.... Your going to go back to nature. And attract a lot of predators! Lol.
    Take me back to nature! Bring on the predaters! I'm all perttied up and ready to go! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Be glad your not a black widow spider. You only get on crack at sex, then your dead. Daviolin
    [SIZE="6"]
    [/SIZE]
    A CD AND HIS WARDROBE, ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daviolin View Post
    Be glad your not a black widow spider. You only get on crack at sex, then your dead. Daviolin
    Or a praying mantis...after sex you get your head ripped off!
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

Great post and your so right wish society would follow natures example, I would love to dress and not worry

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Blame it ALL on civilization, Pretty! Check out primitive human societies from the past or where they still exist. See which U think r prettier, the males or females? (That's assuming u can tell the difference!)
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!