Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: a sure cure for Crossdressing

If the image in the mirror doesn't look ridiculous you are doing well!

I hate looking into the mirror too. The one I use cuts my head off as it it hung too low, that helps!

For me, my body shape is very much other than a woman's, even with help. I can't ever look anything like what I would like to look like. At home, that's not a problem.

However, how I look paralyzes me in going out in public. I don't want to look like a clown in public, but there's really no hope of looking like anything other than a clown. A few months back, I bumped into a couple in a store where the male of the couple was crossdressed with zero attempt to pass. I spoke with them for a bit, but made no comment about his appearance. Internally, I felt he looked silly, and it made me even less hopeful of ever going in public amongst people because I don't want to look like that.

The camera can be a cruel friend. There were a couple times I dressed up, looked in the mirror and was very pleased, but then that darned camera showed off every little flaw. I have often wondered what is the more true image: what I see in the mirror or what the camera sees. Still, by clever posing and lighting, I have made the camera a little more forgiving and rather like what I see. Like Karren, I keep the awful pictures to remind me what NOT to do -- sometimes it just doesn't work.

Audrey, Admittedly the camera and mirror are not my friend, but I do enjoy dressing just the same. Nothing will stop me.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

A large ring light can help hide wrinkles. So can taking photographs when the light outside is very diffuse, like under an overcast sky with the sun well hidden by clouds.
    The "golden hour" after sunset is another time when the light is great for hiding wrinkles and blemishes. Once in a while there will be cloud overhead that reflect the sun right after sunset and the sky will light up.

The higher the latitude the more time you have after sunset to take photos. Hawaii is so close to the equator that there isn't much time between sunset and the sky going dark.

Marion

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    I still think I look pretty good----BUT if seen from THE RIGHT ANGLES. I can look like a GORILLA from the back. THIS is why I depend on taking VIDEOS instead of still shots. I can find poses and angles where I look good and snip individual frames. I can't get away with single shot poses---The planned snapshots just do not work---I depend on the "happy accidents" with the video.----And get my singles THAT way.

After a make-up lesson with my SO last weekend she suggested taking some photographs. Audrey, you're absolutely right, but it wasn't so much my look but my male build (far more T-shaped than 8) that the camera highlighted. I'm not cured. Not yet. In fact encouraged to practice/experiment more with make-up and to explore shooting from more flattering angles.

I just don't look at myself in the mirror nor do I take pictures. It's all about the clothes for me and how they make me feel. I love the flow of a skirt, whisping my hair away from my face, the dangle of my earrings and bracelets and adjusting my camisole or slip straps as they often slide off of my shoulder, (all by design). It's all a very tactile thing for me and those are the things that give me the most pleasure and make me feel the most feminine.
    In terms of the visual, I love plunging necklines with a pretty bra (with cleavage) and seeing my legs in thigh high stockings, no mirror required. I just look down and really, that's a pleasing enough view for me.
    Once I am on my own again, a few short weeks, I intend to get back into makeup which I have really enjoyed in the past...
    The most common form of despair is not being who you are. - Soren Kierkegaard

the only thing I do not like about a ring light is because it gives you a ring of light reflected of your eyes.

If you could see what the first picture I have of myself dressed as a woman; you would cringe! I've worked at it since 2007and I've gotten better! So can you!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Yes! When I began dressing 25 years ago I almost quit after the first year. Because I so hated seeing my ugly, old, man face on a fairly nice looking female figure!

Then, I tried on a mask one Halloween and that changed everything!

Now, I'm a 78 y/o man and am very pleased with Sherry's looks. As u can see from my avatar!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryAverageGuy View Post
    but we can look good even without looking like women.
    Totally agree. I think well fitting and chosen women's clothes can look great on a bloke, especially if not overweight. Some of my favourite photos of myself are as a man in a frock. And I have some particularly nice ones in hybrid mode. I'd love to post them here. But, of course I'd be fully recognizable.
    Last edited by char GG; 02-16-2022 at 06:16 AM. Reason: I know you are teasing but we don't want others to comment on this

I think I pass pretty well (my opinion), I dont get stared at or even a second glance from the sales assistants, that doesnt mean theve not clocked me, but it does give me confidence in what I see in the mirror after putting on my makeup makes me smile, thats of course when I get my makeup on satisfactorily, sometimes yes I see a man in a wig, so I add extra makeup, change my wig, there thats better, my smile is back.

I get the same way sometimes when I look at pics of myself but I would never let that stop me. If there ever was a "cure" I wouldn't want it. I know I'm not perfect*and I will probably never pass but I still love getting dressed. It is part of me and it's here to stay. Even the most beautiful people in the world might look at themselves and probably only see the flaws. We have to concentrate on the positive.*

Platinum Member
    Not really a cure, but I do feel the same way at times. I am one of those people who tends to dwell on my own flaws (and too often those of others). I am fortunate to have some trusted GG friends who swear that they always give me honest opinions on my appearance. Their assessments are much more positive.

Debbie, one solution is to set up a mirror somewhere behind the camera if you are using a remote to trigger the camera. Then you check your pose and look in the mirror and when all is acceptable to you take the picture. But beware, in the mirror you have immediate feedback and your brain can still interpret the reflection a bit differently than it is while the camera takes what is there. The two can still be a bit different, but with practice you can get the two pretty close. Using this combination can also help your body learn what certain looks and poses feel like which eventually brings the two together more closely. The downside is it is a lot of work and takes time and a lot of practice.

Reality Check
    I use the camera as a "tool" to improve my ability tolook like a woman. For example, the camera told me that I needed hip and butt padding. The camera has told me that several clothing items that looked good on the rack in the store don't look good on me.

The camera shows me what other people see when they lookat me. A mirror doesn't do that.
    Krisi

Aspiring Member
    I am a 240 lb muscular man who has been called ruggedly handsome by several women.

This is not a good look for women. I will never pass nor do i even want to try. Just having fun.

One time my wife startes laughing when she saw me dressed. I laughed. And we proceeded to have a great time in bed.

If i went by the mirror, i would never get dressed.

I know I don't look great in pictures, but i feel good, and that is fine with me.
    Julianna Frances

I quite like the horror of photography. I look through my efforts to present myself well and, although there's the occasional success, there's a lot of brutal images that are actually quite interesting. I think that comes through experimenting and not being so quick with the "delete" function. You can find interesting things in bad photos at a later date.

I just take my glasses off when I am dressed up. Problem solved ; )

Sandi

Platinum Member
    I totally agree. The mind's eye sees what it wants to see. What you realize I also realize in male mode. When I do have the opportunity to be en femme I stay away from mirrors. We have one full length mirror that is visible from the kitchen if the door to that room is left open. I can see myself working at the stove and countertops doing meal preparation, baking and washing dishes. From afar no imperfections appear. Those pictures are what others see. Yikes!

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    I find that the mirror gives a more accurate view of what you really look like. A photo can be set up to look good. I trust the mirror. If I don't like the look I change it before taking pictures and then take multiple shots and then post the best ones. Am I disappointed that I don't look exactly like a woman? Sure I do, but I look damn close, IMO. I consider myself an illusionist at times as I think I look totally different as a man. If you're not going out in public then it doesn't really matter, again IMO. I would never go out in public looking like a man in a dress, I used to but I've progressed. It really depend on what you want out of your cross-dressing, is it just the clothes or do you want to present as a woman. And if you're not happy with your appearance then there are things that you can do to improve it. It's all up to you. Some will never progress beyond the man in a dress and that's cool if that's all you want. Sometimes our desire to look a certain was doesn't mesh with reality. It happens to me all the time when I see an outfit I want and then think " I don't have the body for that ". Anyway just be you and if you're not happy with the reflection in the mirror, do something to change it.

Peace & Love
    Gerri

I just take pictures from the neck down. Then I look like I am 35. When I see my face I am an old lady.
    Just a girl fronm Long Island, NY .... always looking to meet others from my area.

I feel I look fairly good after I've done my makeup, ect. and look in the mirror. I'm in my late 50's, so I'm not trying to look like I'm 25. The camera of course is a whole other matter. I've never been all that photogenic anyway, but the camera seems to either show every wrinkle and flaw, or I feel I look a bit goofy. Only one in maybe 8-10 pictures I feel look good enough to keep..It gets harder as you get older for sure!

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Michaels View Post
    So true. I have one photo I like. The mirror casts a positive image but that damn camera!!!
    I couldn't agree more!