Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mis-fitting room

Mis-fitting room

Here's a photo of me trying on a dress at the store's fitting room. I tried a few longer ones before this and when I stepped out of the fitting room to look at myself in the three way mirror, a SA was just clearing out another room and as soon as she saw me she burst into uncontrollable laughter. I smized and went back inside to try another dress but only after taking a good look at myself.

After I changed into the next one, it's zipper got stuck and I couldn't pull it down and after five minutes of twisting and contorting myself into weird and tiring postures, I gave up and stepped out of the room to get help. Needless to say, the only person there was the same SA just doing some housekeeping. I asked for help and she got the zipper down all the way after wrestling with it a bit, but without laughs time. I thanked her politely and went back to change into another one. The dress in the picture was the one I eventually bought.

The SA got a story for her friends and I bought the dress. Win-win!
    Attached Images Attached Images

So what was so funny why the SA burst out laughing

Seeing a guy trying on dresses in the store for the first time probably. She seemed new.

Platinum Member
    It could have been worse. The SA could have screamed in a negative way. I would hope the employer would have told the staff it was not uncommon for cross dressers to try on women's clothing.

Do not discount that her laughter might have been of the nervous type, notably by a young, perhaps naive and perhaps new SA. Although I have not gone out into the community en femme, I have on many occasions tried on womens clothing in a stores fitting room ... no reaction from the SAs whatsoever.

First off, that is a nice looking dress. Second, it is good you saw the bright side of this. To say that it was a "win-win" is a great and positive attitude to have about the event. But even better is what you didn't say about it that I admire most about this. To say that the SA had a story to tell her friends, and you think of this as a win-win, shows you don't real care that she laughed at you the first time. All too often, we worry about what others think but you stood proud, had the courage to try on other outfits, and then ask for help. Kudos to you! You are an inspiration to me!!

I like the dress, it fits you well. Thanks for sharing.

I also like the dress and the outfit. I looks great.

But the laughing by the SA was not good. However, if the SA was young it is understandable.

That's a great looking out fit. You wear it well.

Reality Check
    Young or not, the SA should not have laughed at you. That was rude and disrespectful.

Me, I would have left and gone to another store.
    Krisi

My feeling is, we need to cut people some slack. She was surprised, she laughed. But when you needed some help, she helped. I think you are right. Win-Win.
    Last edited by April Rose; 03-17-2022 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spling
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Looking at that dress and how you presented yourself in it, I can't for the life of me see what was so disturbing about that visual that would have led the SA to erupt into uncontrollable laughter. Did she have multiple tattoos and piercings, hair dyed green and artificial nails the length of talons? If so, maybe you should have reacted in kind. Funny how society condones all manner of outrageous dress and hairstyles within a cis-gender context, but a man in a dress will still often elicit a very negative reaction.

Good on you that you "owned it", did not flee the store in panic, actually engaged with the SA by having her help you with the zipper, and making this a teachable moment for her. This is how we gain acceptance...one "convert" at a time.

An exciting and intoxicating experience. You handled it well. It?s wonderful to try on dresses in a store. Even better if they are CD friendly. I used to visit one regularly The SA validation and understanding made me return again and again until it sadly closed down.By the way your dress is gorgeous.

Nice outfit. The boots work well with it.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Junior Member Stephanie Voorhees's Avatar
    I'm with Krisi on this one. I absolutely wouldn't have given them a single penny of my money and quite possibly would've had a word with the manager.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    My guess is she was amused by the boots and leggings with that dress?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Prazia, I'm sorry the SA laughed. You look good to me. I have seen SAs laugh at a crossdresser, but only after she left the store.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I've had people laugh in my face several times while en femme. It did make me feel bad, or annoyed, the first few times. But I've gotten so I just don't care anymore. If getting clocked or laughed at is part of the price I have to pay for being myself, well so be it.
    What do I do on days when I don't crossdress? I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    Young or not, the SA should not have laughed at you. That was rude and disrespectful.

Me, I would have left and gone to another store.
    What she said! No excuse for that at all! I would have let her and the company know it too and never set foot in that store ever! (I tend to hold grudges for looong time!)

I agree with others on leaving, not spending my money there and letting the company know. That is not something these stores want happening
    Crissy

I don't know, the laughing was not appropriate but I think I would have preferred the laughing over a look like she seen a vampire of scared look. It sounds like it didn't bother you because you kept on trying on more dresses a almost in a "who cares she laughed I'm going to try on dresses and have fun" attitude. You made it a positive situation that I believe you won, you tried on dresses in a store dressing room that I could only dream of doing and you got a beautiful dress too.
    A few years back I was in a mall and I had to walk threw a big department store to get to my car, I went threw the ladies department and my eye caught a slip. I wanted it so bad but I started walking away, I stopped myself and insisted I get the courage to buy this slip. I get the slip and I stand in line in the ladies department determined to buy it, when I got to the the teller and I but the slip down she instantly grabbed the slip and threw it in a basket behind her and asked if she could help me. I told her I was buying the slip that she just threw in the bin, she grabbed the slip but not before looking behind me and giving a disapproved look at the women in line behind me. I asked her if there was a problem with me buying a slip, she had her head down not looking at me and answered "no sir". I paid and she never looked me in the eyes the whole time and still till today I wished I would have completed to her boss. I think I would have taking her laughing more then that dirty disapproved look. I also respect you so much to have that cofidence and courage to do what you did. You should be very proud of yourself and most of all enjoy the dress.

The laughing is not good but ignorant people don't really think if they are hurting someone.

Quote Originally Posted by April Rose View Post
    My feeling is, we need to cut people some slack. She was surprised, she laughed. But when you needed some help, she helped. I think you are right. Win-Win.
    I agree, we have no idea how they were raised, and their influences. I think the sa learned not to laugh the 2nd time and she did help you when you were literally stuck.

I have to disagree with many of the other posters on this thread, and say that I think the SA's laughter was a good thing.
    When you say she broke out in uncontrollable laughter, I get the impression that she saw the funny side of the situation - and completely accepted it!
    Please correct me if I am wrong in my assumption.

I see it as a win-win-win-win situation.
    You got service from an SA who saw the funny side of the situation and accepted you as a valued client, and you got a lovely dress.
    She got a good story to tell, and a valuable lesson in how to successfully sell stuff to members of our community.

Everyone ends up happy!

A member of staff laughing at you is unacceptable. Staff are supposed to be trained in diversity awareness, so they should be prepared for the possibility of TG customers. However, you handled the situation with great dignity which was the best thing to do, so good for you.
    The outfit is nice as well.
    "The only way is onward. There is no turning back."