Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Flying Pretty Brave?

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeannL View Post
    Is Flying Pretty Brave?
    Well .... my first, knee jerk, gut reaction, is - you bet it is! ... BUT .... if you think about it seriously, and obviously you have, you make some really good points and perhaps it is one of the safest places to go when dressed. I don't fly pretty (not yet) but I am a fairly seasoned flier (mostly long haul) and for sure, IMHO airports are one of the most busiest and nationality and culturally diverse places to be, and so you'd think people know this and realize that there's gonna be a lot of people all around them that are perhaps slightly different to them, certainly that's my perspective when I've been in SFO, Heathrow, JFK and Charles De Gaulle.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Banned Read only
    Ok, ReneeK, do tell...... Are you a member of the flight crew?

Michelle, Vegas sounds awesome! I am serious - lets set a dat, say Q1 2011, and do it. Girls and guys, what do you think? We can call it "Vegas Comfort"!

Let’s first look at the numbers. There are a lot of TG/CD/TS people traveling. In 2008 about 810,000,000 passengers traveled in the US. If half of them are male and 3% are TG/CD/TS (the middle of the ranges I see quoted), then about 24,000,000 trips are taken by us each year or about 65,000 per day. If 2% of us travel dressed, then there are over 1,000 of us in the skies each day. Of course, I have no way to estimate what proportion of us who actually do travel dressed but 2% may be low as I suspect that the proportion of pre-op TS traveling dressed is much higher. Obviously some of us don’t need to prosthetics when we travel and maybe should be included in these numbers. The bottom line though is that there are a significant number of males presenting as female traveling each day.

Leann
    Leann, one small correction. 3% of half of 810 million (or 1.5% of 810M) is only about 12 million, rather than 24. So, cut everything in half. You still make perfectly valid points, even if we are twice as rare as you thought.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by ReneeT View Post

Michelle, Vegas sounds awesome! I am serious - lets set a dat, say Q1 2011, and do it. Girls and guys, what do you think? We can call it "Vegas Comfort"!
    That would be a YES, Renee. I sit up front on the left side on the other side of the door. I always have a window seat. Vegas has my vote!!

Renee
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [SIZE="2"]Huggs, Renee [/SIZE]

Hi Leann, Elizabeth and I just flew to Boston and back to attend the Fantasia Fair in P-town. I did not have a stitch of male clothing with me and flew femme across an international border. They are concerned about only one thing, that your hair is your own, and that you can be identified by your picture. I was very apprehensive when we went to the airport and had to clear US Customs and Immigration (they have a station in Halifax to relieve the US side in Boston). They were most courteous, I was addressed as Ma'am and we were addressed as "Ladies" and I give them a lot of credit. I am past any apprehensions now and know that if you are confident, prepared to laugh at yourself and dress like a female would, they will treat you as such even though your passport might show you as male.

The greatest thing was that in Montreal (coming back) one of the Air Canada emplyees was a fully transitioned Tgirl. It made me happy.

This was an eye opener.

Kathryn
    Last edited by Kathryn Martin; 10-25-2010 at 08:08 PM.
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

Wow, I thought this tread was dead but several good points have been made in these new posts.

Kimberly, your point about the thugs is absolutely correct and the few that might don't want to get their parole revoked over some guy in a skirt!

For those who are worried about revealing themselves as a CD/TG/TS, I would suggest that they take head on. Just go up to the person (agent, TSA person, etc.) and when they hand them the ID say "Yes, I am transgendered." It disarms them immediately and allows them to go about their business without trying to figure out who/what you are.

Tricia,
    Good luck. I haven't been through the UK dressed nor through customs. Our thoughts are with you and our computer screens are waiting for your report.

ReneeT,
    You should check out Providence, New Haven or Westchester airports for cheaper fares. One of these days, you will find one and you will have your excuse. Be careful though, the parking at Providence and especially Westchester airports is pretty expensive.

Renee K,
    First of all thank you for getting me home safely. I do pay more attention to the safety information since Sully put the plane down just south of where I am right now. I assume that you work for the airline that has one of the hubs in Detroit. I used to work in Kalamazoo so there is a chance you flew a plane that had me aboard.

I have to say that all of the flight attendants have been very nice. I had one flight that I chatted with two of them for about 10 minutes waiting for the rest room to clear.

Everyone,
    So have you decided where we are all going? I am game. If you haven't flown pretty before, you can join us when we decide. Can you imagine what it would be like if a hundred or so of us showed up at the airport all at once to board our flights home? I would love to see it.

To those that have gone to SCC, does something like this happen when the conference is over? How many girls fly pretty to and fro?

Best Regards to all,

Leann
    Leann

Enjoy who you are but stay safe.

They have Diva las Vegas but we are going to have our seminar and outings. Hopefully by the time we go that I can lose a lot of weight and look half as good as you in a dress. We will just have to go mainstream the entire visit. I have a list of people in Vegas who will party like it is 1999. We will do so many things while there that it will take an entire book to tell the story, but you better leave a few things out. Cause I intend to get into some trouble while there. Thank goodness - what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.
    Michelle

If you want a funny book to read on the plane "coffee, tea, or me" is good ( about a different era ). I wonder if it's still in bookstores.
    [SIZE="3"]Gender is a state of mind[/SIZE]
    LGBTQ PRIDE
    As of Oct. 5th, go here to see my pics:http://www.flickr.com/people/fab_karen/
    A Yankee Doodle T-Girl
    proud of my President

Adventures in High heels Brenda2246's Avatar
    I am in for going to Las Vegas!!! I was just there with my girl friend (G.G.) and we went out to a club. It still hard for me to walk in public in drag, so I am not sure I up for flying yet, but I am working on.

When we went came back from the club and walked from the parking lot to the hotel thur the Casio I was afraid that everyone was looking at me, thinking guy in a dress. But my girl friend was thinking that they thought we were hookers! I should be so lucky! LOL
    Adventures in High heels [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Las Vegas is a GREAT place to be out and about, 24 hours a day! I think Diva Las Vegas isn't until almost summertime(?), and Q1 2011 sounds much preferable (ie, sooner!!). Maybe we could work out a charter flight, with Renee K acting as the Pilot In Command?? (g) -- OTOH, could we be setting ourselves up for disappointment? Las Vegas is also a place where a thousand of us could be together in a group, amid thousands of other people, and it's possible that NOBODY would take any notice at all!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda2246 View Post
    I am in for going to Las Vegas!!! I was just there with my girl friend (G.G.) and we went out to a club. It still hard for me to walk in public in drag, so I am not sure I up for flying yet, but I am working on.

When we went came back from the club and walked from the parking lot to the hotel thur the Casio I was afraid that everyone was looking at me, thinking guy in a dress. But my girl friend was thinking that they thought we were hookers! I should be so lucky! LOL
    Don't worry about what they think. Hold you head high, shoulders back and boobs out. If you don't pass then own the look - it's you. Have attitude because it will get you a lot further than looks anyday. Plus it doesn't fade with time.

Quote Originally Posted by DianeDeBris View Post
    it's possible that NOBODY would take any notice at all!!
    That's good and bad. It will depend upon how much attitude I want to expose the world too. usually I don't mind being noticed but we may not be the weirdest thing in Vegas. So we may just have to admit that we are ordinary there.
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by DianeDeBris View Post
    Las Vegas is a GREAT place to be out and about, 24 hours a day! I think Diva Las Vegas isn't until almost summertime(?), and Q1 2011 sounds much preferable (ie, sooner!!). Maybe we could work out a charter flight, with Renee K acting as the Pilot In Command?? (g) -- OTOH, could we be setting ourselves up for disappointment? Las Vegas is also a place where a thousand of us could be together in a group, amid thousands of other people, and it's possible that NOBODY would take any notice at all!!
    I think Diva Las Vegas is in April. Could someone here lets us know when it is. I think first quarter 2011 as Renee T suggested would be a great time.

Renee

After shoveling snow a few times, I will be ready in the 1st quarter
    Michelle

Adventures in High heels Brenda2246's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKAMichelle View Post
    Don't worry about what they think. Hold you head high, shoulders back and boobs out. If you don't pass then own the look - it's you. Have attitude because it will get you a lot further than looks anyday. Plus it doesn't fade with time.
    Thanks I will try that! I was just trying to walk, not fall down, and breathe! LOL But I am game to go out again!
    Adventures in High heels [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great posts. The only thing I would question is the statistics. Of course I'm just speculating, but I doubt that on any given day there are 1,000 dressed CDers in the air. I hope we get there though. It would be nice to think that people are likely to see at least one openly TG person at the airport on their next flight.

Personally, I look forward to my maiden femme flight. I don't get to/have to fly as much as I used to, so I don't know when that will be, but there is one problem I haven't solved yet. Like many of us, I cannot afford to be outed here at home, and I have seen someone I know almost every time I've been in our local airport. And too, many local flights involve a plane change in Dallas and it's not at all uncommon to see a familiar face at that airport too. To me, it would be kind of a spoiler to have to leave home as a guy and change in an airport restroom. So, the prospect of sashaying into the old home airport in a skirt and heels would involve a bit of risk -- and bravery.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn Martin View Post
    They are concerned about only one thing, that your hair is your own, and that you can be identified by your picture.
    The hair issue is news to me. Are you sure about that, cuz I haven't heard any of the gurls here mention any problems with wearing a wig? Is this an issue only on border-crossing flights? And what's the solution? I mean, would your have to take your wig off right there in line or what?
    Last edited by sherri; 10-26-2010 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sherri View Post
    Great posts. The only thing I would question is the statistics. Of course I'm just speculating, but I doubt that on any given day there are 1,000 dressed CDers in the air. I hope we get there though. It would be nice to think that people are likely to see at least one openly TG person at the airport on their next flight.

Personally, I look forward to my maiden femme flight. I don't get to/have to fly as much as I used to, so I don't know when that will be, but there is one problem I haven't solved yet. Like many of us, I cannot afford to be outed here at home, and I have seen someone I know almost every time I've been in our local airport. And too, many local flights involve a plane change in Dallas and it's not at all uncommon to see a familiar face at that airport too. To me, it would be kind of a spoiler to have to leave home as a guy and change in an airport restroom. So, the prospect of sashaying into the old home airport in a skirt and heels would involve a bit of risk -- and bravery.

The hair issue is news to me. Are you sure about that, cuz I haven't heard any of the gurls here mention any problems with wearing a wig? Is this an issue only on border-crossing flights? And what's the solution? I mean, would your have to take your wig off right there in line or what?
    They don't have an issue about a wig or at least not with me. But now I use my own hair.
    Michelle

. . . Kimberly, i am not nearly as pretty as you :-). I assume everyone knows i am a dude!
    Renee, you DO have a mirror right? I am NOT an prettier than you are my friend. When I travel or am just out and about, a LOT of people read me, and they read me long before I open my mouth so it's more than just the voice. That is kind of what I was saying though - you have to be able to accept and tolerate this if your going to fly.
    I think that there is another concept that I'm not really sure how to put into words - I think of it as "plausible deniability". If you dress appropriately, and act appropriately, then you you give people plausible deniability to accept you as a woman. In other words, even if we aren't perfect (and I'm a long way from there) if you make an effort in your appearance and demeanor, people are probably going to accept you, even if to some of them it is just "playing along".

. . . I have to say that all of the flight attendants have been very nice. I had one flight that I chatted with two of them for about 10 minutes waiting for the rest room to clear. . .
    I LOVE chatting with the flight attendants! That is often the funnest part of my day. They often greet me with genuine smiles and have often gone out of their way to chat with me. I think that in the two years or so I've traveled dressed, I've only run in to one flight attendant who really seemed a bit bent out of shape about me. All of the others seem to think it is a welcome relief from the same old same old.

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    Renee, you DO have a mirror right? I am NOT an prettier than you are my friend. When I travel or am just out and about, a LOT of people read me, and they read me long before I open my mouth so it's more than just the voice. That is kind of what I was saying though - you have to be able to accept and tolerate this if your going to fly.
    I think that there is another concept that I'm not really sure how to put into words - I think of it as "plausible deniability". If you dress appropriately, and act appropriately, then you you give people plausible deniability to accept you as a woman. In other words, even if we aren't perfect (and I'm a long way from there) if you make an effort in your appearance and demeanor, people are probably going to accept you, even if to some of them it is just "playing along".
    Great point Kim! I totally agree, it's worked for me.

Renee

I didnt even think flying while en femme was still an option with the new rules and regs. Now I hope to do it someday...

Where is this all going? Melinda's Avatar
    I fly fully in full femme mode whenever possible. Here's a couple thoughts/observations/experiences. If I put my breast forms in my checked bag it will get opened and inspected by TSA, happens every time. They probably look like some kind of gel/liquid explosive under xray. Exploding boobs! The last time I flew I wore a really loose skirt. They decided to pat me down because it looked bulky and I guess could have been hiding something. I'm standing next to the scanner with a male TSA agent shouting "female pat-down needed!" I thought it was great but then I've gotten over being shy. If I have to use the bathroom DIA (Denver) rocks because there are family restrooms everywhere. Other places it's in and out as fast as possible. I haven't had any issues withe fellow travelers yet but small children make me worried because I don't want to frighten the parents. I assume I'll be read and always worry that some parent who is ignorant about our situation will decide that I must be some kind of pervert. Still, all that security around and lots of good anonymity make the airport and plane my favorite place to get to be Suzy. I usually go ahead and go to the rental car agency for my car then to the hotel and check in, handing everyone my male ID as needed and no problems yet.
    who wants to be normal? Not me!

-Susan

Kathryn,
    Good job going international. I suspect any issue (of which I have never heard) with a wig, must be an international issue.

Sherri,
    My numbers were what ifs that seemed plausible. You can dispute them but this thread has brought out a few members who I was unaware was flying. So there are more out there that we think and remember, this forum has a very small percentage of the total TG population participating. the bottom line is that we are not rare, uncommon maybe, but not rare. Given the reaction of most people I come in contact with at the airport, most have seen one of us before.

Kimberly,
    You have got it right. If you act like a women, expect to be treated like a women then most will treat you like one if you are presenting like a women.

Renee T and Kimberly,
    Cut the c**p. You are both good looking and better than most (including me) and I suspect that you both get read at times The key is that you both enjoy being out and about and we all look forward to your adventures.

Melinda,
    Didn't know you were a member of the club. Glad to know that it is a big club that is getting bigger.

Renee T,
    Can you get some of those plastic wings they give kids? We need to get some, paint them pink and hand them out to the members of our flying pretty club

Leann
    Leann

Enjoy who you are but stay safe.

Can you get some of those plastic wings they give kids?
    I believe they stopped handing those out maybe twenty years ago, when they switched over to chopping them up and putting them into the salads; and even that was back when they were handing out "food!" (g)

YYEEESSS several day in vegas I'm in for that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76795368@N07/

International Men Can Wear A Dress Too Day, Tuesday, May 15 2012

Just made my reservations to join the High Flyer's Association when I head out to Vegas on November 17th for two days and evenings of fun,and I hop, games. I am looking forward to checking another item off of my ever-growing Bucket List.

never have flown yet..dont worry about passing even though i hate the concept many seem to dwell on..i dunno..vegas is always fun..i am just not sure i can take more then 5 hours enfemme..thats seems to be my limit and time to go back to guy stuff....