Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The flipside: what if your wife doesn't want anybody to know you're TG?

The flipside: what if your wife doesn't want anybody to know you're TG?

I posed a question what to expect if you want your SO to keep your TG status secret and if it was fair. Now, what if your SO doesn't want anybody to know?

I can understand their thinking as being with one of us reflects on them too. There is a stigma attached and right or wrong it is there. If you're in the closet I'm not sure if it's a big deal. If you're out and about it gets more complicated.

In my case my wife and I discussed it and she doesn't want anybody to know even though she is okay with it. So far I'm not out to anybody but her so it wasn't difficult for me.

So have you had this discussion with you SO?
    If you're out and about how do you keep it a secret?
    Do you respect their wishes?

In my case I go out of town dressed where nobody will know me.

I'm with you. My wife said she wasn't going to tell anyone and I certainly won't except for my crossdressing.com friends.

We sometimes kid about it like we're getting ready to go out and I'm dressed in male mode and starting out the door but I've "forgotten" to take my boobs off.

We were discussing the reaction of a friend the other night to my newly pierced ears and I said "I should have worn my boobs, then he wouldn't have lept talking about the earrings."
    Last edited by linda allen; 09-01-2012 at 06:31 AM.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

One of my wifes greatest fears is that her family will find out.....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I can relate to that. It's also one of my greatest fears, I have no idea how they'd handle it. It does put pressure on her for sure.

My wife doesn't like to keep secrets. The fact that she knows about me being tg puts an enormous burden on her. She is perfectly fine with it but is adamant about not going out in public or telling any family about my secret life. They most definitely would not accept it. It is not a perfect solution, but it is not a perfect world either.

Platinum Member
    I think one should respect and be considerate of your wife's views. That doesn't mean she dictates the policy...it means that both parties reach a level of consensus before telling someone.

I think that this is understandable position. She may be worried about how it would affect you, in addition to how it reflects on her. There is a great deal of unknown on how family and other friends may react. So I would agree with this request and go to where I felt I would not be recognized/

Quote Originally Posted by Marleena View Post
    ....... In my case I go out of town dressed where nobody will know me.
    I did that a few times when my wife was out of town and before I introduced her to my dressing. She is out of town again now but I don't feel so much like going out now. It's kind of like I would be betraying her trust (That sounds strange, but that's how I feel.)

I didn't really go "out of town" but I live outside a city so I went to the tourist part of the city where it's not likely that I would meet anyone who knew me. The biggest difficulty was getting in and out of my house and neighborhood. I managed by underdressing, then changing in the car in a parking lot and changing back to "boy" mode again in a parking lot. It was a lot of trouble and of course, it's difficult to do a good job in a car.

I need a better wig before I can consider myself "passable". Also some "girl" glasses if I can't be wearing sunglasses.

At some point I would like to be able to go out (in another town) dressed with my wife by my side as two woman friends on the town. One can only hope.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

I can relate to that. It's also one of my greatest fears, I have no idea how they'd handle it. It does put pressure on her for sure.
    When you tell someone your secret you drag them into your closet......
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Banned Read only
    I certainly agree with the idea that who to be out to should be a mutual decision, since it affects all family members. In our case, my wife and I have a young son, and we have to think about how he might be stigmatized when he goes to school for having a CD dad (if I was out).

How do we keep it a secret? So far, any out-of-the-house activities have been support group meetings, socials, and TG conferences. Events specifically for the TG community. If I do any shopping or travel in the "real world", it'll have to be far from home. And coming and going from the house can be tricky.

The only people in our life, my SO and me, that she or I care about keeping it a secret from in her grandchildren. We think her youngest daughter might already know since she may have seen something left out by my SO a few years ago. But it is never discussed. They are both very private people. Beyond that neither me or my SO have talked about who not to tell or to tell. We are also into the Dominant/submissive lifestyle and she is as concerned about that remaining a secret as much or more then my being a CD. If she chooses to tell anyone about my being a CD, I trust her completely on who and why she feels the need to tell. We are private and careful with what we do. So it's a none issue with us as we understand the need for privacy and secrecy from certain people.

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    I think one should respect and be considerate of your wife's views. .
    That's the foundation of a good marriage. Of course it goes both ways. My wife does things that I wouldn't choose to do but it makes her happy so I don't try to change her. She probably would rather not come home and see me in a skirt and boobs but she doesn't try to change me.

She said she wouldn't embarass me by telling anyone that I wear women's clothes. I didn't ask, she brought it up.

I just go with the flow on who my wife wants to know. She is actually pretty cool with it. When I first told her she was bery distrought. She called her mother and talked to her about it. Her mothers reply was "that is all" like so what is the big deal. I think that helped my wife deal with it alot.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

My wife strongly disapproves. She hates the idea that a neighbor or friend might find out about my "hobby". And she hates it when I told our kids and a neighbor, and store clerks about me. Most people don't tell other people--but you never know.

My wife and I both agree that it stays with us. I don't go out dressed and don't want to. As for "going out" we usually rent a secluded vacation home and while there I may meander around outside. Other than that, she provides me all the "being out" fulfillment I need just by supporting and sharing Misty's existence in our relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferR771 View Post
    My wife strongly disapproves. She hates the idea that a neighbor or friend might find out about my "hobby". And she hates it when I told our kids and a neighbor, and store clerks about me. Most people don't tell other people--but you never know.
    Jennifer, I'm not judging you, but don't you think you should have cleared it with your wife before telling your children, a neighbor or store clerks. You might not feel ashamed or embarrassed about them knowing, but clearly it effects your wife.
    No way would I ever tell her kids, grand kids, or neighbors without her approval. I have never told store clerks and don't plan to. I know she would not like the neighbors or her family knowing, so that will never happen. I'm not sure how she would feel about that, but I don't think she would care. Now I'm gonna have to ask her.

As with so many of our discussions, there are no right or wrong answers here. Some of us are more open about our dressing, most of us are less so. Our wives may be concerned about others knowing about us, or our being embarassed (or worse) when dressed in public, and that's perfectly understandable. My wife used to be that way. Now that we are more open about it, and I'm out to a number of people, it isn't an issue. Once we were having dinner with a friend and she noted that I cd (I think our friend had as a question about my pierced ears). The response: "No big deal".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Lucky !

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post

This is my only Wish ? Do you think it would keep them away ? If so I am GOING TO TELL,,,TELL,,,TELL, An then all is right in the world ,,, I use this stuff to my Advantage not there's ...... LOL You just cant shock me into submission ,, You gotta have something to fear for it to work . Long ago in another life I was Terrified to know end thats a FACT ,,, But after along an drawn out bit of soul searching an finaly coming to grips with all this maddness its all good now ,,,I just laugh it off ,, I carried it for the first part of my life an gave it away ,,, So they can do what they wish with ,,If they choose to hide it or tell the world its not my burden to bare anymore . So here ya go world ,,,Do what you will will with ,, You can spread it out or throw it away not my call anymore ,,,I Retire !! Gave up ,,, Gave out ,, Gave in ..
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Cook View Post
    As with so many of our discussions, there are no right or wrong answers here. .
    I think there is a "right" answer here and that is that we should all respect our spouse's wishes and feelings. If that means not walking around the neighborhood in boobs and a wig, we should respect that. If it means not telling outsiders or family members, we should respect that. It goes both ways.

So have you had this discussion with you SO?
    If you're out and about how do you keep it a secret?
    Do you respect their wishes?
    In my situation, my wife doesn't want others to know, and I also share this view. This is something I do for my own enjoyment and I don't see why others would need to know. I have told one other friend and she was very accepting, but I don't expect that same response from everyone.

Crossdressing may not be as big a part of my life as it is for others here, so it may be easier for me to keep it hidden. I usually don't go to places where I know I might run into someone, I mostly shop just a town over, and my wife has yet to go out with me at night so chances of me getting recognized are slim.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    My wife totally hates that I am TG. Just the fact that I am sends her into depression and night long crying bouts. What makes it worse for her is that she understands this is something I must do. It has been so short a time that she cannot cope with the two trains of thoughts.

To the point. No one must ever find out or she will be devastated. I support her in this. To this end, I cannot dress at home when she is gone and leave the house. We have a garage, but she will not let me chance the neighbors seeing me drive away. i am free to drive to another town and get a room and dress. What a wonderful way to spend money...not. so I am closeted

A recent breakdown last weekend may add more considerations, but that is a problem still under discussion. We will see.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Aspiring Member
    My wife also doesn't want any one else to know. It's not a problem for me beacuse 1- We live really quite a way out on the sticks,so we have lots of privacy for excursions out into the yard,2- My wife loves my lifestyle,and allows unimited indoors dressing, so 3-I can dress up amost any time I please. All in all I'm very happy that I told her years ago!

Banned Read only
    My wife does not approve of my cross dressing. She knows I engage in it when she is at work. Sometimes there is a tell tale sign of the day, such as, she finds a panty I forgot to store away or one left in the washing machine or dryer. I know she would not like it if my cross dressing became public. Before I retired I had great fear mt cross dressing could become known to my employer. In the neighborhood? Well, after thirty plus years in the same house we still do not socialize past a brief conversation on the street. I think my wife would not like to deal with her family and friends knowing. I know my new nosy neighbors in the next door rental house spotted me en femme in my back yard. That was two months ago. So, time will tell if it become general knowledge among neighbors and further. I think those neighbors who know me would not really care.
    The only times I ventured out en femme have been when my wife visited out of state. I went for walks in safe quiet neighborhoods in the evening. I actually got bored. Kind of been there, done that attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    I think there is a "right" answer here and that is that we should all respect our spouse's wishes and feelings. If that means not walking around the neighborhood in boobs and a wig, we should respect that. If it means not telling outsiders or family members, we should respect that. It goes both ways.
    Well said Linda. If we don't respect our SO's wishes and comfort level, how can we expect them to respect our need or desire to dress at all. Ignore their wishes will only end up with both parties hurt and perhaps...alone.
    As a couple our decisions clearly are not our own. Our SO's are part of who and what we are and the way people perceive us.

Banned Read only
    My wife has said that she will not out me but if I want to tell anyone, she'd be ok. So it's on me. To date, only she knows and that is how I expect it to go forever. I have no desire to tell anyone else. It sure would make things easier if I did come out. Then she and I could go out locally.