Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living and dressing in-between gender 24/7

Living and dressing in-between gender 24/7

Hello there!

Let me first introduce myself!

I am a longtime cross dresser from the Netherlands (38 years old) with 2 young kids and lovely SO who is accepting who i am (without wigs and makeup since she hates 'fake')
    I Adopted a 24/7 androgynous look, not overly femme stuff like pink, jewelry and makeup but still, the clothes all come from the women's department.
    Since my job is creative people think it's part of being the creative guy so they seem to be ok with it (slightly gay probably but i don't care).

But here's my doubt / question:
    The androgynous outfits are satisfying my inner self most of the times
    but sometimes i simply also want to wear 'that' beautiful longline cardigan on top of my skinny jeans and basic top because i just like it style wise.
    and that's the point where my GF says, THAT VEST is a giveaway, especially to her sister or brother in law who are around very often.

The problem is...
    To be honest, of course i just want to wear it and have my family in law notice my true self.
    But i explicitaly don't want to be seen as a cross dresser (nor does my girlfriend in any way),
    I guess i just want to be seen as the guy with a large feminine side who happens to like a lot of women's things because.. it's who he is

Are there others feeling the same way?
    What is your approach to it?
    i am so interested!!!

X.
    Jenn.
    Hello Boy Hey Girl!

Hey Jenn

I wear a lot of girls clothes most of the time and mix between male & female fashion
    I enjoy the range and style that you get with female clothes, plus I like the cut I.e. Female T-shirts look better on my body than a male T-shirt.
    Because I mix it up, not that many if any really notice what I'm doing... At the end of the day fashion or your look is up to you

KD

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Jennifer I feel your pain. I work in a predominantly male work place and live in a small rural area. I would love to adopt a more androgynous look but I dont feel that it would be overly accepted, especially for my age and because everyone that knows me only knows me as my male self. I have adopted a somewhat femme/unisex hair style but it seems I am like you and want to take it a few more steps but just dont know how.
    Erica

Reality Check
    People expect other people to be male or female, not somewhere in between. Birth certicifates have only those two options. Drivers licenses, employment applications, etc., are the same.

You are legally free to wear whatever you want as long as it covers your private parts but if you deviate from what's expected, you will create problems for yourself. Are you ready and willing to deal with these problems? If so, go ahead and wear your obviously female clothes. If not, keep it private or go where nobody knows you.

First of all welcome Jenn!

Nice to have another Dutch girl with us here... I personally believe you have the most lovely GGs in Europe in the Netherlands...

I can't say I feel the same way but I applaud your vigour in dressing how you feel... To me, it seems like you are already 90% the way to being just on the girly side of androgynous - is it really difficult to push that extra 10%...? I don't ask that and assume it would be, but I have had a fair bit of exposure to creative agencies and I've always thought that pretty much anything goes... and a cardigan wouldn't be seen as outrageous...?

And it's super you have such an understanding SO - and perhaps your compromise is more for her feelings than anything else, which is absolutely fine too - compromise is essential in any relationship, I believe...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Could you take the cardigan along to work and put it on only there? Your "work family" would see it but not your "marriage family". A compromise.
    Hugs,
    Ellen

I just want to be my true self, like you, I do dress full, when I can, the rest of the time, I underdress, panties, and bra, with enhancers, make-up, even on Saturday and Sunday, when I go ride my horse, I have on my make up and a bra top an enhancers. It not for anyone but me, I am no longer hiding, I no some of my student and co-works have noticed, it's out in the open how could they not, have even had one student ask me in class if I had on make-up. Had students and co-works, comment on my nail. These last two years, I have never been happier, because I am me now, not hiding.

Well since i work at home, the hiding part isn't the problem, the showing who i am is
    And this cardigan below is just a example of how far i would go (not further since i have no need for that in public,
    The question is, should i tell my family in law I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN or should i just do it and see what happens?

@Katey, thank you! i think that 10% to me, is the cardigan a full giveaway?
    @ Krisi, i understand you, i understand my alpha male friends would not be able to deal with me in a dress and wig. Therefore this intermediate solution..
    my highly feminine me

Below.. THE! cardigan and a look i am after (without the blonde color of the hair

that sounds great Annalise! Since i can't be a full women due to lot's of reasons i am probably in a different zone a mix is even more confusing..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 09-19-2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Merged- please use the edit button
    Hello Boy Hey Girl!

Banned Read only
    It seems to me that you want the world to change its collective opinion on what a cross dresser is. That is not going to happen. If you don't to want to be thought of as a cross dresser, then you can't cross the line.

The only way that change can be affected is to cross the line. Consider men wearing earrings or women wearing pants. It is the only way to make progress. If we don't take steps then things will be the same 20 years from now. Did you ever wonder why men's fashion looks the same as it did 100 years ago?
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

You are so lucky having an open-minded partner.
    Girl me

i want to cross that line, the thing is... should i tell my sitter in law or just put on that cardigan en see what happens
    Hello Boy Hey Girl!

Reality Check
    Men's fashion does not look the same as it did 100 years ago. Get out a history book and look at the photos. One example that comes to mind is hats. 100 years ago men wore hats. Today they don't except for some who wear baseball caps backwards.

100 years ago men wore pleated trousers and leather shoes. Today they wear jeans and sneakers.

Jennifer, if you cross that line you will find that you cannot cross back. Think seriously about this before you do anything you may regret later.

I went thru' a brief andro phase. By the end of it, I was wearing all women's clothes and jewelery, carrying a purse, and had a women's hairstyle. I caught a reflection of myself in a mall window once, and said what the hell, all I was missing was the makeup, who was I trying to fool that I was a guy?

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Morgan View Post
    i want to cross that line, the thing is... should i tell my sitter in law or just put on that cardigan en see what happens
    If you don't care what people think, then wear a dress if you like. It's no one's business as to why. But in your earlier post you stated that you did NOT want people to know you are a cross dresser and your girlfriend had the same opinion. You can't have it both ways.

I have a great site for you! There are a lot of clothes on this site which most people would consider feminine in style. I love it though because these people think outside the box. Check em out and let me know what you think! Oh, the nice thing is that if anyone calls you out about it, you get to say... Hey, it was made for guys!

http://www.goodinthebox.com/men-polo...Csqo.pinterest
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The longer I walk down this road I call a journey, the more I realize that it's not about passing or not passing. It's about being true to myself and being able to look in the mirror and say to my reflection... "Perfect"

These clothes are cool Alycat!

So i guess the general advise is to stick to male clothes in male modus or... be a cross-dresser out in the open..
    there is no inbetween because people will see you as a crossdresser anyway when wearing several womens clothes as a guy?
    Hello Boy Hey Girl!

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Hi Jennifer. My opinion is a bit different than some others.

There is a bit of an in between zone.

Just because you do some things that are traditionally seen as feminine does not mean that everyone will see you as a cross dresser. I have done bits and pieces of things over the years, and no, everyone has not simply assumed that on occasion I just dress up fully as a woman.

But there does appear to be some sort of tipping point with some people. In coming out to some friends recently it was revealed to me that some people had no idea and others were waiting for the day that I was going to tell them that I wanted to transition.

For example, I was sure that everyone would know that I was a cross dresser when I started wearing my nails painted 24/7. But no that is not the case. In fact one of my good male friends told me that he had no idea that I cross dressed, he just figured I liked to paint my nails and that was it! Funny. But one of my female friends asked my wife, when I showed up at their house wearing 100% female clothes, but no makeup, wig, bra, or breast forms, when I was going to transition. Her husband though, did not think anything of my clothing choices.

Maybe it is kind of like this experience - I was part of a backpacking class once. I brought my "tent partner" over to my house to get ready for our trip. When he left I asked my wife what she thought of him. She told me he was very nice, and that he was very gay. The thought of him being gay had never crossed my mind. It had never occurred to me before my wife said something. Eventually he told me that yes he is gay.

So I suppose that if one wants to look and see, maybe the signs are there, but not everyone is going to look and see, because to them it really just does not matter. For some, they will look and see any deviation from traditional maleness as cross dressing.

My advice? Go for it. Wear what you want to wear. People are going to talk, no matter what you do.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Morgan View Post
    there is no inbetween because people will see you as a crossdresser anyway when wearing several womens clothes as a guy?
    Uh...obviously. There's no secret way to dress in women's clothing if you're a man. (The pictures posted here just strengthen this argument if you ask me) The clothes are different and people will notice. I think, from what you've written, that this is what you want? You want your family to know about this part of you? But your GF doesn't agree. Am I right?

First thing I'd ask is WHY you want anyone else to see you dressed? And then I'd ask if you can see what support you have with your accepting partner? Do you really want to pass her comfort level? There are no rules to crossdressing. There is no progression unless you allow it. There's no guaranteed better life ahead whether you do or don't. And I can tell you from my experience that a girls tee doesn't fit/feel/look any different to a boys. So why does it feel different to you? That's an important question to ask yourself.

You and YOU alone are ultimately in control of this. All I can suggest is to choose wisely and look very hard at your GF and how much she means to you. Relationships can survive this but only when both people are on the same path. x
    Last edited by Tinkerbell-GG; 09-21-2014 at 07:54 AM.

Banned Read only
    Hi Jenn,
    I would say at your age with a supportive wife and two young children you have a fairly good balance with your CDing, as least you're not in the closet and solitary confinement like I was at your age.
    Some couples do have have a good relationship with sharing androgyous clothes if you're the same sizes and you partner doesn't mind, it's one way of dressing and being plausable to other people !
    We all know that CDers end up wanting more !

Hi Tinkerbell,

To answer the most important question :"why do you want anyone else to see you dressed".
    To me dressing is not about becoming someone else or showing off, it's about being me.
    I would never 'offend' with inappropriate clothes, just casual stuff as shown in my posted pics.

About the girls tee,
    Agree, they don't fit better, but design wise, it's just more appealing to me.
    and it's a subtle way of accenting your femme side of course.

About my GF
    I will never ever overrule here feelings towards all of this love her
    and like Teresa mentioned, share some clothes is something already happening

@Nadine,
    You mentioned "showing up 100% female clothes"
    I find that an interesting thing, where that overly femme things like a dress or skirt?
    Hello Boy Hey Girl!

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    I went to my friends house wearing flip flops, a tank top, and shorts, my nails were also painted. All of which were bought in the females dept. the only overtly fem item, in my opinion, were the shorts. They are super frayed, and super short. Very obviously fem. I do that sort of thing frequently. But never a skirt or dress. Those are reserved for when I also have a wig and makeup on.

Silver Member
    You have an accepting girlfriend and seem to be able to wear what you want. You "problem" is wearing female clothing items in front of your in-laws.

Either don't wear them when your in-laws are around or wear them and don't care what they think.

If your wife is the reason you care about your sister and brother-in-law, then you should simply respect her feelings.

I am an androgynous dresser most of the time more so when on holidays.
    Usually I am a girl then.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

If your wife is the reason you care about your sister and brother-in-law, then you should simply respect her feelings.[/QUOTE]

Yes ofcourse, would never harm her feelings!

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    I am an androgynous dresser most of the time more so when on holidays.
    Usually I am a girl then.
    Is there a strict line for you? do you have clear sight on when crossing the 'line'?
    Last edited by Katey888; 09-24-2014 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts merged - please use edit post to add to existing post rather than adding a successive post...
    Hello Boy Hey Girl!