Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can losing weight become addictive?

Hey Nikki - it's definitely a fine line. I think as others have pointed out that it would be a good idea to see your physician and also understand what a good level is for your BMI. On the other hand losing weight can definitely be a good thing for a host of reasons. It comes down to figuring out what is healthy and at what point it becomes unhealthy.

I definitely know how you feel. I was 206.5 pounds at the end of December 2017 and I was definitely overweight. I weighed myself this morning and am at 182 so I have lost 24.5 pounds in a little over 10 months. It is amazing how good it feels and how much better my body looks. I keep a good regimen of exercise, yoga and I am also making much better choices when it comes to my diet. I have found what works for me. I plan to continue to lose more as my calculated BMI as of now is 27.7 and the normal range is 18.5-24.9 so I could go much further but my hope is to get to 170 as that was where I was at through most of my adult life.

Also not sure if it is an option but through work I get a full blood workup on an annual basis. I am definitely looking forward to seeing my the levels for cholesterol, blood glucose and levels pertaining to my heart, kidney, liver and thyroid among others. I hope to post some results later this year.

I would also highly recommend the Mayo clinics BMI calculator so you can get a sense as to what your normal range is.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...r/itt-20084938
    I have been circling for a thousand years,
    and I still don?t know if I am a falcon, or a storm,
    or a great song.

Rainer Maria Rilke
    https://www.flickr.com/people/170325405@N05/

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    I wouldn't call losing weight being addictive, but I might say losing weight can become a compulsive disorder. I have known many people who have suffered from OCD, and it usually has to do with obsessing about something. A good diet and exercise will cause someone to lose weight, but there is a limit to what is good, and what isn't. Medical professionals, or Fitness professionals can help an individual to find the correct weight zone for a person to live within. There are so many variables to consider, like bone size and bone density, so how is the average person going to know what the correct weight for them is. Muscle weights more than fat, so I person who is exercising and dieting loses fat and gains muscle at the same time. Muscle burns more calories, so the fit person needs more calories than the unfit person. There is also the point of just looking good, and looking anorexic doesn't look good.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Girlfriends...you have me a bit concerned about my weight loss since I'm vain in my appearance and I have OCD tendencies - I'm so much a perfectionist and want to look my very best. I'm happy with stomach but my calves are still too big. During the day, I frequently look at my legs and say to myself they need to be more slender. But, the wig boutique owner did say that my legs looked good. Maybe a bit thicker leg is ok. I know I have a sizeable thigh gap...but those dang calves....errr! Nikki...p.z. once I lose weight I have no trouble keeping it off b/c my appearance is so important to me that I'll do just about anything to look as good as I can. Until my recent desire and success in reducing my weight to 155 pounds, I was steadily at 165 pounds for well more than a year...it might even be going on two years.
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    If your weight is stabilized you'll be fine, Nikki. But, u need to realize your calves r 99% muscle. So, no amount of weight loss with affect them noticeably. The only way to lose that tissue is stop doing leg excersizes!

When I wanted a more fem figure I lost weight AND quit my gym!
    Because to me, muscles aren't fem!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Nikki, running has really slimmed my calves, I average about 20-25 miles a week and my calves have slimmed down nicely, no wide calf boots for this girl!

Quote Originally Posted by nikkiwindsor View Post
    I'm happy with stomach ... I know I have a sizeable thigh gap...but those dang calves....
    Yes, just be careful. I think you're fine right now but I'd be afraid you'll start to obsess on your calves and maybe you are not seeing them as they really are. It's not unusual for someone to see part of their body differently from reality. I think it's unlikely you have slender thighs and big fat calves... sort of like Popeye but with legs... I don't even know how you would do that on purpose if you wanted to

I did lose about 30 pounds this year, I did it 2 to 3 pounds a week and its normal. did not gain it back and did not lose more because I was at my ideal BMO.
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Calves are all muscle so not much you can do about that but I think the fact you have lost weight you notice the calves look bigger than they used to even tho they are still actually the same size.
    So please don't step off the deep end and obsess over them.

My doctor said not to lose any more weight so I now keep it around 108 pounds and eat more it it drops below that.

I'm going to try stop obsessing over my calves. And it's not what I want to hear that calves are all muscle and there is likely little I can to make them thinner. If true (and it likely is) I'm not happy. Losing weight just about everywhere else probably has made them look bigger. I think I'll give one last effort to see what I can do. I'll do calve stretches, increase my running distance and try bringing my weight down to 149 pounds but no further. I should hopefully will be content at 5'11" and 150 pounds and fingers crossed, at least more toned calves if they're not any smaller. Off to go running!

Banned Read only
    I can relate, because for me, that led to anorexia nervosa as a diagnosis. My idle weight was 130, but the catch was that it conflicted with my gender identity. The therapist said I was too small for my height, which is 5'9.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Nikki, it seems counter intuitive to me to think excersizing a muscle will make it smaller.

But, I'm happy to hear you're holding your weight at a reasonable 150 lbs!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

To clear things up...my present weight is 154 pounds...and if I continue to drop I'll stop at 149 pounds regardless of the size of my legs. I've read taht you may be able to make your calves more slender by running long distances at a slow to moderate pace. And supposedly stretching the calf muscles may help a little too. I'm not expecting any changes but we'll see. Fortunately, when wearing a maxi no one can see your legs... Nikki p.s. still hard to believce I started my weight loss regimen when I was 194 pounds. I've lost 40 pounds...never would've guessed that would happen.

Aspiring Member sarah_hillcrest's Avatar
    It's funny but I've heard that calves are one of the more difficult muscles to develop and that many body builders work hard on them.

I wish I had your problem, sadly I'm addicted to sugar and not weight loss. I was really disciplined with walking and eating right and lost about 70 pounds between 2011-2012 going from 300 to 225. When I hit 225 I just kind of got stuck, but I felt great. I managed to keep it up over the next several years but things have changed and I'm starting to gain back weight.

I wouldn't worry about your legs, I see women with every type of leg imaginable, and many seem to wish they had more tone in their legs.

Please see your doctor, as loosing so much weight in such a little span is not normal....especially that you were not really overweight to start with. I'm 6 ft tall and weigh between 190-195 lbs....just like you were.... I wish I could loose 15 lbs...but not more than that....

Aspiring Member
    Nikki, this doesn't sound like *normal* weight loss. You've asked an important question here, but really I think that you need to ask the same question to someone far more qualified than the general membership of this forum.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    It would be wise to consult your personal doctor and tell him everything going on with you.
    Sudden weight gain or loss can be indications of other issues so its best to speak to your doctor.

I'm fine...I just want to lose another 6 pounds

Aspiring Member
    I have been losing weight these last few months after being diagnosed with a raised blood sugar level. Here in the UK if its getting close to being diabetes Type2 the NHS offer you a place on a Diabetes Prevention Course lasting about 9 moths with regular meetings/advice etc.

For me no need to extra exercise as I get plenty anyway but have changed diet and in six months lost 8kgs, about 1.25st. Well pleased, although put back a bit last time I was weighed, and plan to keep going for a while yet as my weight will eventually level out.

Great benefits – more energy, golf better (!), and – of course – femme clothes fit better.

Vikky
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adventure before dementia

Aspiring Member
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few years back, based on an A1C of 7.4%. A1C is done via a blood test and measures your sugar average level over the last three months. It was recommended I lower my A1C to below 7% to avoid diabetic problems. Thus, I went on a diet and lost 35 lbs in less than a year, going from 185 to 150 lbs, now maintaining 150-155 lbs. A1C now just over 6%, which is good, no need for medication. And I feel and look a lot better. I'm 5'10. I don't diet now but watch what I eat, in moderation. I took the BMI test suggested in a previous answer and find 22 which is perfect for my weight and height.
    Based on my experience you're doing just fine, Nikki, if a bit overly concerned about your calves. I'd say relax and enjoy the slimmer you.

Ineke

Although a doctor's opinion is recommended, the ideal weight for a man who is 5 ft-11 in is 160 pounds. For my weight control I use an online program which specifies a precise number of calories intake to maintain a desired weight or the number required to lose a specific number of pounds per week. Exercise is included, but I find that calories intake is the most important. Importantly, it provides an evaluation of the total calories, proteins, fats and minerals as well as specific amounts for each food. Using this, honestly, every day where I input all of my food, is the only way that I can keep my weight to 170 pounds for 5 ft. 11in. As a result my figure is very nicely shaped. Since I enjoy two 5 oz. glasses of red wine every day, it is hard for me to get down to 160 pounds.

I seem to be stuck at 154 pounds...I must persevere!

Quote Originally Posted by nikkiwindsor View Post
    I seem to be stuck at 154 pounds...I must persevere!
    Nikki,

Forgive the unrequested advice: How long have you been at 154 lb? Is your desire (need) to lose 6 lb reflect your wish to say that you are under 150 lb? Why not spend some time at that weight rather than drive yourself to lose the 6 lb?

I think that 154 lb might be your comfortable weight for now. Maintain 154 lb for the winter and then see how you look and feel in the spring.

Nikki, I see no reason for you to lose any more weight, you have always looked great. I thought you legs were awesome all along!

I am with the others, time to really think about your weight loss, I am also concerned you might be taking it too far.

Pumped...thank you so much for the compliment and concern I just want to lose a little bit more weight and then I"ll stop. Nikki

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Kristen View Post
    Nikki,

Forgive the unrequested advice: How long have you been at 154 lb? Is your desire (need) to lose 6 lb reflect your wish to say that you are under 150 lb? Why not spend some time at that weight rather than drive yourself to lose the 6 lb?

I think that 154 lb might be your comfortable weight for now. Maintain 154 lb for the winter and then see how you look and feel in the spring.
    I've been at 154# for almost 3 weeks and this morning 153# when I got up. I do set goals and once set I strive to reach them. I think there's something magical for me to get below 150# and see if I can achieve less than a 30 in waist without a corset. Right now, my waist is 31 in. But, my calves IMO still look big Nikki

p.s. I feel good and healthy and when I go running I now feel like a gazelle. My bra rests comfortably and directly on my rib cage and back without any more fat in between. I always hated how my bra would press on my fat and cause small bulges - not any more. And my bandage bodycon dresses slip on so easily and the zipper purrs up effortlessly.
    Last edited by nikkiwindsor; 10-21-2018 at 06:10 AM.