Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your male name

Your male name

How'd you pick your male name? What's the significance and story behind it?

I'm curious since, as you can see, I'm still just an ambiguous pronoun.

Thoguth about being Joshua for several months, then herd John on the telly and liked it (and remembered later that it was the male version of my birth name, but only after I'd started using it most of the time, there wasn't really much sugnificance in choosing it). Funny thing is, it now turns out my Dad had a son several years before meeting my Mum (that me and my brother never herd about) that is also called John.

Benjamin (my secon name) was picked out by my mum; she spent ages saying 'but I just don't think you're a John', which of cause I dissmissed as meening 'but I just don't think you're a boy' before anouncing 'I think you're more a Ben'.
    Mentaly unstable like a fox!

Transitional Journal on the FTM transitioning bord: A to B, via T

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...4faf/event.png

To be honest, I'm still looking for MY name.

First, I went by Charlie Joel - but then I became detached and even depressed by that name because too many screwed it over for me, and then ending -lie is the same as my birthname.

Then, I became attached to the name Caythan Jacob. Why, I'm not sure. I like the names "Nathan" and "Cathan" - but I know a few Nathans (and don't want to choose/finalize a name as MY name if it's a name of someone I already know. I'm weird like that I suppose) and "Cathan" seems like it'd be easily mispronounced, so I added the y in there myself to make pronunciation easier for others.

I would have made Caythan Jacob my legal name, but then my fiance started calling me "Cody", because he "doesn't see me as a Caythan". Cody isn't a bad name, but it's not MY name.

So here I am still on the hunt for MY name...Eurgh. I might have to branch out with the names now...I've been sticking with the C's and J's, to fit C.J. (from when I went by Charlie Joel.) It's kind of aggravating, and I hope I'm not on a name change ban yet? Plus I don't want to be slapped if I need to request another SN change... I really gotta think of an SN that isn't my name or initials

- C.J. (until MY name is found)
    Last edited by C.J.; 04-01-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: typo correction

I heard the name. I liked the name. I took the name.

Not all that interesting, but, it worked for me.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    I was going to go by Andy then Aaron popped out of no where and stuck.

actually, now that you mention it, I took on the name of Spencer because I knew I couldn't go thru life with my birth name. My birth name, although considered definitively female, has always been an androgynous name to me. The way I saw it since I was young: "Well, probably everyone else who shares my name is a girl, but I'm not a girl, so it's not a girl's name." My name to me was like "Alex" or "Jamie" or "Jackie". It was mine and since I was masculine, so was the name. Unfortunately, the rest of the world would never see my name that way.

So, I adopted "Spencer" and have learned to love it as my own. Though, I don't get offended when people who have known me for a while call me by my birthname (in fact, I've never asked them to switch the names), because I know who I am, and I know they know too.

I picked my name because my siblings are all named after popes/ saints.

When my dad asked me what my male name would be i said "Adrian, after Pope Adrian" and he nearly cried, cause he's so catholic it's crazy.

The only person who doesn't know about me is my nana, my dad's mother, it would kill her, i mean...really! She doesn't believe in anything that's outside the catholic religion, her whole life revolves around it, so i guess with her getting Alzheimer’s is going to be a benefit, she wont remmber my past. Other than that it's sad.

People ask me why i can be catholic with Pope Benedict saying the shizzle he's saying, easy...i just don't think about it! In my eyes, i'm a (semi LOL) straight male...easy.

Anyway, was thinking about several names, Nicholas, Andrew, Luke etc...but couldn't picture myself looking like one.

My sister Khiya (not real name btw) said i should have been named Lucifer, but i liked Adrian better
    [SIZE="3"]-Broken out of a window in hell-[/SIZE]

I kept the name my parents gave me as my male name since it is a male name already.
    I adopted Conrad as my middle name.. felt right, don't know how I came by it.
    Two monks were watching a flag flapping in the wind. One said to the other, "The flag is moving."
    The other replied, "The wind is moving."
    Huineng overheard this. He said, "Not the flag, not the wind; mind is moving."

[SIZE="2"]James. Everyone always called me James anyways since it's a quick version of my birthname, which is Jamie [& can obviously go either way.] If I ever picked anything different, which I wouldn't, I might tag myself as a Vincent. =][/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I actually wanted John, but my mother vetoed the heck out of it. So no being John for me. I've got nicknames that people give me all the time, but we'll see what I actually change my name to.
    Story of my life –>

My nickname is bascially the male name i have took on,its meainlyess unless you know me on a personal level and I dont have to explain things to much when people dont know my whole story of who I am.
    I dont want to find a full male name I can place on my deed pol its just finding one thats me enuogh to 1) hurt to many people close to me or 2) that i like and is me
    its all about you as a person
    people change thier names all the time
    trans or not
    so if you come upon someone who is really arsey with your name changes and try outs
    give up a finger and say on your bike
    names a name

My name in real life is female, but uncommon, so I'm comfortable going by it -- it's not one of those names, like Sally-Anne say, which everyone associates with femininity. My board nick is the name of a transmasculine character in a novel called The Friendly Young Ladies. I adored that book when I was about sixteen; it was the first time I had seen my feelings and experiences down on paper.

I really wanted to stick to my birth name so I adopted the name Kristopher Lawrence and usually go by Kris. It is easy for my friends to since it is a short version of either name. I kept as a K because then it is just like my female name starting with Kris ( it is Kristin) The Lawrence comes from the grandfather that my middle name came from (my mom had my middle name as laural to honor him). I also like Kristopher because my dad used to call me Kristopher Robin when I was little, and my siblings called me Krissy bear for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    When my dad asked me what my male name would be i said "Adrian, after Pope Adrian" and he nearly cried, cause he's so catholic it's crazy.
    I'm another Adrian

I just liked it... it was the first, and my favourite, on a short list of names I had when I called my mom to tell her I was choosing a male name... I was calling her to ask for her opinion, but before I had even told her that, or what the names on my list were, she said "I think you're an Adrian"

Quote Originally Posted by Ze View Post
    How'd you pick your male name? What's the significance and story behind it?

I'm curious since, as you can see, I'm still just an ambiguous pronoun.
    Took the name of one of my favorite uncles as his name started with the same first letter as mine did. Middle name just something that fit with the first.

Vincent has always been my favorite male names. Not sure why. I think It may stem from the fact as a child one of my favorite TV show characters name was Vincent.

And I Feel like a Vinny anyways :3
    -\/incent
    Keep your freak flag flyin'!

I'd rather you hate me
    For everything I am
    Than have you love me
    For something that I'm not.

Neat reading how everyone got their names. (Personally, I think Ze would be a kick*ss name for a guy.)

My girl name is Sally-James, although my birth name was Jaime. Seamus is the Irish form of James--a way to honor my heritage.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4serrus
    If you look like the laundry basket threw up on you you're doing it wrong.
    Do you know every thought that crosses your mind? To know the mind of many is to know the depth of the ocean. Where at? What era? Why? It is to ask of heaven, how many stars? Those near, those far, those seen, unseen, heard by whom, in darkness, alone, or in sunlight, beyond? How far? Who cares? Our creator, over all seasons presiding, knows each mind by name.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus_Jameson View Post
    (Personally, I think Ze would be a kick*ss name for a guy.)
    I agree, but I feel bad for stealing Leslie Feinberg's thunder. Ze worked so hard to create ambiguous pronouns, and then I go and try to take one of them for my name. Who knows...I may end up keeping it anyway.

Beware the beast in black The Gas Man Cometh's Avatar

Thomas.

As my birth name on my certificate is 'Tamsin,' it is an Olde English name from Cornwall. It's technically short for, "Thomasina."

Or, Thomas.
    [SIGPIC]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/LadyVIolence/biohazardSP.jpg[/SIGPIC]

+Brace yourself, for The Gas Man Cometh!+

Quote Originally Posted by The Gas Man Cometh View Post
    As my birth name on my certificate is 'Tamsin,' it is an Olde English name from Cornwall. It's technically short for, "Thomasina."

Or, Thomas.
    I chose Trey ( changed it legally a year and a half ago) because I liked it, and I thought it would be less offensive to My mother and easy for people to adjust to because it's not that far off from My birth name, which is Tracy....I picked Aidan as My middle name because I thought it went well with Trey, and Toni liked it and thought it was representative of My personality.
    Ever The Opportunist

None of you good looking gentlemen are named Kevin?(my male biological name) Hrmph! I see how it is!

Only kidding sirs
    Merry

HRT since 2009

Jacob is a name I chose due to a kid I use to play with in elementary school. Troublemaker to the core as I am. I thought it fit.

Everyone calls me Jake though.
    "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."- Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Stormgirl View Post
    None of you good looking gentlemen are named Kevin?(my male biological name) Hrmph! I see how it is!

Only kidding sirs
    Well that's my cousin's name so I thought it would be awkward. Though, my birth name is also another cousin's name, which is just plain dumb since we're twelve days apart.
    Story of my life –>

I just chopped off a few letters out of the middle of my given name...

I'm actually been thinking for a while about this, and I sure as hell have not come to a solid conclusion yet.

My given name is Lauren, and I am named after my grandfather (Loren) who passed away two months before I was born. Now, because of this I do not want to lose that connection. I am thinking of making my middle name "Loren" or Lawrence" so I can still keep his name with me. (thoughts on this?)

As for my first name, I've taken a liking to the name Benjamin. i still need to wait and see if it sticks enough in my head to keep