Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Number of CD People

Number of CD People

I have been watching the introductions today since I inserted my own introduction.

I am stunned at how many new introductions there are for just today.

Think about it, there must be thousands of us out there!

When you see people walk by, surely there are several men in the crowd who would much rather be wearing something pretty, but can't.

I have never seen a guy in public in a skirt, for instance. Why not? Are we mice or men!
    -Meri

Central Ohio

Single and loving it ;) alexis GG's Avatar
    Hi Meri
    I moved your post here to its own thread as I think it would be an interesting topic for members to discuss
    Long gone

Mice.. I am mouse hear me squeak.. I do think there just has got to be a greater number of cross dresser than shows here.. mostly you have to consider the fact that most guys who have urges to wear something other then regular men wear may not think that wearing that skirt means they are a cross dresser at all.. or those who dress in the name of fetish on a drunken Saturday night at a friends house who's girlfriend is passed out.. then there are those who don't know about this site.. or who just don't care to reach out on the internet.. I would say maybe a tenth of men who can reach out to this or other sites have done so.. maybe even less.. the true number might surprise people.. even those who say they would never wear a dress probably fantasize about it once in their lives... as far as wearing in public and not trying to pass:: I'd love to do that.. just slip a skirt and heels n hose on and not worry about passing... ultimate fantasy for me..
    This is what I mean by "every guy can look like a girl from the right angles".. this is one of the first pictures of me dressed up.. very vague look.. almost fem...

I agree with Carly, there must be many crossdressing men who never reach out in any way whatsoever, far more, I suspect, than those of us who do.

That said, I would guess that the biggest percentage of those of us who do reach out via the web, would view this as their only avenue of being able to share their love of things femme with others, leaving a relatively small percentage of girls who venture out in public in their finest.

Its no surprise to me that the sighting of a crossdressed man, in a public space, is a rather rare thing (depending where you live, of course). The social taboo attached to our art will prove a difficult one to break down, as it takes an awful lot of courage to leave yourself so wide open to abuse.

I wish I had more courage.........and a better figure.

Stay safe xx

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    Chances are very good that you have seen CD's or other Trans folks in opposite sex garb and just not realized it. There are people who "pass" very easily. Not the average for sure, but definitely not uncommon either. Also, try going to a alt friendly place (gay bar for example) and you'll have your "sighting" in no time

Just noticed this thread ... take a quick look:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...d.php?t=111969

They say that statistically (groan) that the CD population is 1 in 10 - I think that this proportion is a little is a bit generous - but there are a lot of us out there!

"A girl can dream and when you cannot dream there is always shopping lol!"

Only thousands? Conservative estimates would suggest hundreds of thousands in the USA alone...
    Nicki

[SIZE="1"]Moi?[/SIZE]

A girl...and I love it! Marisa_M's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cassandra2601 View Post
    They say that statistically (groan) that the CD population is 1 in 10 - I think that this proportion is a little is a bit generous - but there are a lot of us out there!
    As long as I know that's right.
    I have read statistics that mention about 10% of the world's population as crossdressers.

Of course it vary in different countries but that seems to be the average.

Not bad...isn't it?
    [SIZE="3"]Marisa[/SIZE][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"There are no ugly women, only lazy ones”

[SIZE="2"]Helena Rubinstein[/SIZE]

There is a huge closet for crossdressers. Most of us never venture past the closet door. We do not see very many crossdressers on the streets because they are rarely out and about. It is difficult to define what makes one a crossdresser, is it one who tried on a garment once, or one who is dressed 24/7 or someplace in between. There have been very few studies of crossdressers and fewer still that attempt to estimate our numbers.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

I always doubt these numbers about 10% of the population being crossdressers. But!! If you removed all barriers and made it easy to CD. Yeap you might get 10% that from time to time would CD.

I base that on some online games like Pirates of the Burning Sea where I saw around 10% or more of the guys in the games use female avatars. Its fun to be pretty!

But in RL its not so easy. Family guys might not be able to experiment. It cost money to buy cloths and makeup, its taboo and finally it takes skill to do it right!

You will only notice those that don't pass.

I went over to Japan to meet my girlfriend Last New Years. Saw several outfits that were bizarre like 80's punk bands. Sat down next to a really pretrty lady on a train once, She was impolitely using her cell phone, hearing her voice...I still wonder if it was a guy dressed. She sounded like a guy, and had the vocal ques of a guy speaking Japanese. You never know though.

I suspect several percent would be realistic.

Brina

After doing a quick search I found that the 10% figure for MTF crossdressing is a little exaggerated. This figure would probably include guys who have maybe once or twice worn an article of female clothing during their lives. Hardly crossdressing in the sense that we know it here!
    K.

Quote Originally Posted by meri View Post
    Think about it, there must be thousands of us out there!
    I'd say more like millions. As in more than one million or two million.

When you see people walk by, surely there are several men in the crowd who would much rather be wearing something pretty, but can't.
    It's frequently on my mind when I'm out in public. Is it the guy working the checkout line? Is it man walking down the street with a briefcase? Maybe it's that guy walking happily with his girlfriend, hand in hand... longing to wear HER clothes. Maybe the other guys are looking around wondering if it's me, too.

I have never seen a guy in public in a skirt, for instance. Why not? Are we mice or men!
    If I'm a crossdresser, I'm obviously anything I WANT to be regardless of the social taboo. Even so, going out in public en femme can be a dangerous game around here. I can be quite a mighty lion and then some... but it will do little good if I am attacked by a pack of hyenas. That is why I spend my time trying to change the game, rewrite the rules, and educate people. Won't happen soon enough, but I feel it necessary to do my part.

Welcome to the forum, btw.
    [SIZE="3"]Tired of all the lies and misconceptions about crossdressing?
    Separate fact from fiction and learn the truth
    [/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [SIZE="1"]My wife loves ALL of me, not just my man-side. Will you?[/SIZE]
    My informative and fun website | flickr photos | YouTube videos.
    Things to consider when preparing to come out to your wife.
    The unique story about coming out to my wife.
    Meet the official Babes of myCDlife

Taking a guess...

Gee, according to my math, if even 1% of the US population (305 million) are MTF CD inclined, (which I think is way too low and am guessing 3 t0 5% at least) would give us a CD population of about 1.5 million, roughly half the total population of Denver Metro area. My guess is probably closer to 3 to 5 million MTF CDs in the US who dress at some level when they can or really wish they could (do these count?).

But remember, my guess and a credit card will get you a Mocha Latte at Starbucks! But if we were playing horseshoes, I'd have a pretty good score. Still a lot of folks no matter what.

ChanDelle

Quote Originally Posted by Deidra Cowen View Post
    I base that on some online games like Pirates of the Burning Sea where I saw around 10% or more of the guys in the games use female avatars. Its fun to be pretty!
    How did you come to know the actual gender of the people behind the female avatars? There could be far more than 10% that never tell you. I've seen estimates from 10% to over 50% of Second Life female avatars are driven by men. My personal guess - and it's just a guess - is that the sex fantasy females, six feet tall with anorexic-thin waists and boobs the size of the Himalayas, are all driven by male players. But that's just because I'm an enlightened (yeah, right) guy who can't believe any self-respecting woman would want to objectify herself like that.

There have been several articles on the subject, and guys are cagey about their reasons. The most popular reason is "If I'm going to have to look at a person running around the computer screen for hours on end, I might as well look at someone attractive." I'm perfectly willing to speculate that they have more embarrassing reasons and obviously won't come right out and say "I always wanted to be a girl, so it's fun to pretend for a while" - but we're just speculating with no hard evidence of what anyone's motives are.

Ralph they were in my clan, guild whatever you call it. You can hear their guy voices on voicecomms (teamspeak) and heck they admit its them with the fem avatar.

I played as a guy in the guild but had an second acct for Deidra but I did not try to ever talk on voicecomms with my fem character. My biggest shortcoming is my voice! Dang it!

I agree with what you said about motives and not being sure...but regardless find it interesting that so many guys do go with fem avatars and yes they pickout sexy outfits and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    How did you come to know the actual gender of the people behind the female avatars? There could be far more than 10% that never tell you. I've seen estimates from 10% to over 50% of Second Life female avatars are driven by men. My personal guess - and it's just a guess - is that the sex fantasy females, six feet tall with anorexic-thin waists and boobs the size of the Himalayas, are all driven by male players. But that's just because I'm an enlightened (yeah, right) guy who can't believe any self-respecting woman would want to objectify herself like that.

There have been several articles on the subject, and guys are cagey about their reasons. The most popular reason is "If I'm going to have to look at a person running around the computer screen for hours on end, I might as well look at someone attractive." I'm perfectly willing to speculate that they have more embarrassing reasons and obviously won't come right out and say "I always wanted to be a girl, so it's fun to pretend for a while" - but we're just speculating with no hard evidence of what anyone's motives are.

Our Numbers

With the kind of numbers we are tossing about, we could effect changes in the attitude of the rest of the population -- if we were organized and out-spoken. We could come out of our closets and onto mainstreet anytime we feel like it.

Women crossdress on a regular basis, I have seen the same women go from all girly to workboots and jeans the span of a single day. There is really no reason why we can't have the same freedom. Yes, I know about WWII and the impact on their clothing, it's just a shame we don't have a similar event to cause a change for us.

Frankly, I believe that the restrictive and punitive nature of our Western culture is one of the reasons so many of us go to such extremes in dressing. If we were in a 100% loving and accepting culture, I would probably do little more than wear a skirt and decorate my nails. Why go through all the trouble of fully dressing?

If you accept that line of thinking, then we are all a little damaged by our culture.

Again, in my mind, the answer is balance....
    -Meri

Central Ohio

I suspect that we top the million mark, easily. Sure, we've got so many members, but there are so many visitors who lurk around here too (read but don't sign up or post).

Furthermore, I agree with everyone else who says that many of us don't reach out and there are even younger cds like me who never even heard of this site because they're using social networking sites instead.

Gender Variant Badger PaulaJaneThomas's Avatar
    Likely range is between 5% and 10% of the male population.
    Best Wishes

Paula

Warning: This product may contain Badger
    Every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed Badger.

"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
    - Tony Hancock

I'm a mouse. But can you say that to my face.LOL..... Go for it.LMAO
    I am Nobody-- Nobody is perfect so therefore I am perfect

There is always room for more friends in my heart

Jill

[qoute] I have never seen a guy in public in a skirt, for instance. Why not? Are we mice or men! [/quote]
    Anti-drama mice. I don't need any more aggravation in my life than I already have. Wearing anything feminine in my profession would just make everyone feel the stereotype is correct, that we're all gay. It's hard enough trying to convince women to date me as it is.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I have never seen a CD in public in a skirt or dress but I have seen several members of this forum from the state I live in.
    I did once see a CD at a Wal Mart once,she had a scruffy beard,breast forms,skinny jeans,and heels on,I smiled at her,and she smiled back,thats the only time I saw a CD in public.
    Drink up me heartys,yo ho!

Kate

Gold Member
    Where's the cheese!!!!! Just kidding!! It is interesting to note that since I've been on this site and have been developing my own style more fully, I do find myself looking around at other men and wonder if they're hiding a secret as well!!

I really don't see how ANY of the estimates can be correct. A closet is a very tiny place for CD's to hide in. I haven't received any census cards mailed out (at least I haven't received mine yet ) asking that question. And I haven't been addressed with a pollster at a mall yet. ( Then again maybe they just took it for granit that the man in the dress was a CD )
    Oh I know that they speculate - some using the old " but 1 out of 10 emergency room patients ....". But then who says CD's aren't enherintly better drivers or less clumsy so less of us end up in the emergency room!
    Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie B View Post
    This has been hashed over several times before, but you can't tell the truth too often, so here we go. Very approximate figures for USA and UK:
    • About 25% of men have cross-dressed at least once in their lives
    • About 6% have done it regularly at some time
    • About 2% are doing it regularly now
    • About 0.4% go out in public (CD meetings excepted)
    • About 0.1% go out and pass in public.
    This explains why we're at the same time very numerous and invisible. (Of course those who pass in public are also 'invisible', as are those who are so discreet you don't even spot them.)

Converted from percentages to raw numbers this means that in the USA and UK, 30 million men have cross-dressed at least once in their lives and two and a half million do it regularly today. Half a million of them go out in public dressed. However there's no knowing how long they spend out and dressed in the average week - it might only be a matter of minutes.

[And, puh-lease, don't anybody write in saying you "don't believe the figures" - produce better ones! Anyone who wants to can write to me privately about my sources - too long to mention here.]
    Hmmm....0.1% of the male adult population of California would mean about 13,000 guys have the desire + the looks to pass convincingly as women, sounds about right