Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who among us is a Crossdresser Only?

The terminology is a mess. In an ideal world we'd be able to get everyone to sit down, say what they did and wore and thought and felt in nice short simple everyday words, and then having collected everyone's feelings and experiences we could come up with some terminology to fit that. But no, we have words with multiple meanings. It's a common problem...

There seem to be at least three meanings for "transgendered", for example. 1) people who identify wholly as female if XY, or wholly as male if XX, who live as their preferred gender 24/7 or who are thinking seriously about it or who would if circumstances permitted. 2) anyone who's anywhere on the "transgender spectrum", who cross-dresses (or similar) for any reason whatsoever. 3) people for whom cross-dressing is not (or not entirely) a sexual fetish or "I just like the clothes", but they don't necessarily want full full-time womanhood (or manhood, for FTMs), even if it was convenient for them. Possibly also people who don't crossdress but who have the feelings of not entirely identifying with their birth gender might fit in here.

I've seen "transgendered" to refer strictly to group 1, or to group 2 (of which 3 and 1 are subsets) or to group 3 (of which 1is a subset). There are also a variety of words that seem to be used for 3-but-not-1, "genderqueer", "androgyne", "bigendered". There are various things you can do with two genders - you can switch between the two, display both at once, tastefully blend them together or try to eliminate them completely, and this can go on in how you dress, what you do with your body or go on purely in your head, perhaps you might have a male and female persona which you switch between. Finding which of these fits which label is beyond me.

There's also genderf*k, which as far as I can tell seems to consist of displaying strong male cues and strong female cues (e.g. breasts and a beard) with the pretty much explicit intention of messing with people's heads.

So now it seems there are at least three uses of "just a crossdresser" - for people who are 2-but-not-1-or-3, for people who are 2-or-3-but-not-1, for people who are any of those three but aren't planning on hormones or SRS.

Getting people to stick to one definition of "transgender" or "crossdresser" or "only a crossdresser" seems nigh-on-impossible to me, too many people have invested too much in their labels, there isn't an authority that's going to be credible with everyone, it's just a non-starter.

Now someone will do doubt point out that my 1, 2 and 3 are just as much of a mess as the old terminology, and I won't argue with them. I just made those numbers up to make a point.

Me? I like to think there's something feminine (when I'm feeling brave, female) about me, and crossdressing is an expression of that, rather than just a desire for pretty clothes or a sexual thing. The feminine came first, the CDing later. But I don't CD all that often, I feel rather more male than female (when I'm feeling hard-headed, 100% male, although not particularly masculine), and I'm still exploring what all of this means to me and what my true feelings are. Whether that makes me transgendered or not, "a crossdresser only" or not... you can answer that for yourself, I've caused myself too much angst in the past trying to answer those questions, so I'd rather not worry about those things.

Only?

Myself. A crossdresser only thank you.
    The only body change i'm interested in is ditching some weight. Like that's different from anyone else?

Brenda

Heroine of Silmaria Elsa von Spielburg's Avatar
    Goddammit, I'm getting real good at losing long replies to a few missed keystrokes. Fail.

So, it boiled down to:

- I have no desire to transition.
    - My real 'want' to dress comes from things that my brain perceives as the ultra-feminine: lingerie, underthings, dresses, makeup and the like.
    -I worship the female shape, figure, and clothing, and want to get as close as possible, while still retaining a few key male bits. It started, and will always remain at heart, as a bedroom fantasy of mine and my 'defult' setting is undoubtedly male.
    - I'm looking forward to exploring it with my wonderful GF as two ladies in bed, while still enjoying the male-female sides of it. The best of both worlds.
    - I do love to dwell on the style and dress of it all, and at times will think for a while about dressing without the bedroom in mind (though the train of thought usually ends up there).
    - At times it does feel like a sliding scale, instead of an on-off switch in my brain, with other expressions of my CDing that I enjoy (playing an RPG under a female-me avatar).
    - So, whatever label you want to slap me with: transvestite, cross dresser, moose... groovy. I'll enjoy what I enjoy.
    Last edited by Elsa von Spielburg; 02-21-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MissElizabeth View Post
    Dressing in my home is all I have any desire to do. No going out, transitioning or anything of the like.
    Thats pretty much it for me too. I have gone out dressed up a couple times for halloween, but thats it. I have no real interest in going out dressed.

Count me in, that is all I am and it is all that I want to be.

Thumbs up

I don't know what i am but i do enjoy doing it, when i am doing it.

Geneva

"Labels" really cause confusion. I am en femme nearly everyday and sometimes for more than a day at a time. I go out en femme on average at least once a week but I am not "out" to friends, neighbors or most of my family (some "know" but that is all). I thourghly enjoy the time that I spend en femme. I have no plans to take hormones or even live full time as a woman.
    I do not like the phrase "just a crossdresser" as I find it a bit condescending. I think of myself as a crossdresser even though I try to be "lady-like" whenever I am en femme. Am I "transgendered"? Maybe, it depends upon what defintion is used. Does it matter? To me, not really!
    Hugs, Carole

You got me Stephanie. I love to wear womens clothing and wear them more often than I do male clothing. Matter of fact I do not own any male undergarments other than four pair of boot socks. I can see over 200 dresses without counting or exagerating. I have boxes of jewelry, including clip ons that I never wear (pierced). Even in male mode I wear fem jeans, underdress, Mascara, clear polish, and jewelry (necklaces, earings, and bracelets). i dress every night wether I'm alone or with friends (GGs that know).
    Put a little lipstick on you'll feel better

Quote Originally Posted by Sewing_Sophie View Post

There's also genderf*k, which as far as I can tell seems to consist of displaying strong male cues and strong female cues (e.g. breasts and a beard) with the pretty much explicit intention of messing with people's heads. .
    Yeah, that's how I feel about it too. I really don't like it for that reason. I feel like even the name is intentionally divisive because frankly a lot of people are still put off by profanity. I wear skirts as a guy because I find them comfortable, not because I'm trying to be in people's faces and "freak out the normies, man!"
    -------------------------------------------------
    ~Riley
    Check out my trans themed standup on YouTube!

My Tumblr Blog

I love to crossdress but I have no desire to become a woman. Why should I, having the best of both worlds.

yup, that's how it started... now I am less sure...

xx

Crossdresser, as far as I know.

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    In order to keep things as simplistic as possible in describing me on where I choose to reside on the gender continuim. Even though I might not fit all definitions of it. I choose to identify as a Cross Dresser.
    [SIZE="3"]MUSCULAR GIRLS ARE PRETTY!!![/SIZE]

Current Inspirational Song-"Running Free"- Kissin Dynamite

M-E-A-T, M-A-C-H-I-N-E, MEAT MACHINE!, MEAT MACHINE!!!
    The Governor for President 2016!!
    All I want for Christmas is an Anita Model Synth

I don't know, does this mean when I wear a leather Jacket and boots do I want to be a cow?
    I do not!! Claim to be an expert on any topic, when I post a new thread or reply on any thread my imput is strickly that of a crossdresser. Not to offend Gay people , Transexuals or any other life style, I am only commenting on one of my own.

Crossdresser here

I am just the average crossdresser and no desire to go any further. Love the clothes, make up and shoes.

I’m a crossdresser.

I’m perfectly OK living the workaday world as a male. But away from the job, I love the feel of a dress or a skirt and blouse, with classic pumps or cute sandals below. At bedtime I feel it’s absolutely essential to put on a frilly, feminine nightie. This isn’t a passing fancy; CD has been part of me since childhood. I like my appearance when I put on a little makeup and polish my nails. And I’m ever conscious of trying to present myself with feminine mannerisms when dressed - - - the way I walk, talk, sit, eat and such,

Nevertheless I don’t see myself as transitioning, of going “24/7”, of taking hormones, or going down the path of no return to SRS. YES, I’ve looked at those possibilities. NO, that’s not me; not where I need to go.

In short, I don’t want to BE a woman. I want to be LIKE a woman.
    Daisy

General nuisance AliceJaneInNewcastle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewing_Sophie View Post
    There seem to be at least three meanings for "transgendered", for example. 1) people who identify wholly as female if XY, or wholly as male if XX, who live as their preferred gender 24/7 or who are thinking seriously about it or who would if circumstances permitted. 2) anyone who's anywhere on the "transgender spectrum", who cross-dresses (or similar) for any reason whatsoever. 3) people for whom cross-dressing is not (or not entirely) a sexual fetish or "I just like the clothes", but they don't necessarily want full full-time womanhood (or manhood, for FTMs), even if it was convenient for them. Possibly also people who don't crossdress but who have the feelings of not entirely identifying with their birth gender might fit in here.
    In spite of all of this, when I was actively editing on wikipedia, there was only one reliably referenced meaning for transgender, and it was between your numbers 2 and 3, being everybody on the trans-gender spectrum except those who dressed only for "transvestic fetish" reasons (eg wearing pantihose or high heels for sexual stimulation).

In spite of other meanings being used colloquially in some places, that meaning was the only one that was actually documented.

I cross dress because I like the clothing. I don't try to present as female because I don't look female and really, I have no desire to be there. It's my own little secret that there are times when I can wear what appears to be men's clothing and in reality it's female.
    But in my world, a guy dressed in female clothes isn't accepted although there are some in my city who dress as female and are accepted as what they want to be - a women.
    I'm not into titles - but crossdressing sounds better to me than transgender. I like being male and have no real desire to be anything else. So, I'm just a crossdresser.

Count me in the strictly recreational crossdressing catagory. I have no interest in passing.

My only CD excursions outside are in the winter so that my enhancers are concealed by my parka. I like the feel of the bras and slips, but I am not interested in anyone else noticing.

OK you caught me. I freely admit that I am a Crossdresser. It took me 50 years to come to grips with that though. Love the clothes and the way they feel and love the illusion of being a female without being one. I love my male life too much to think of anything like transitioning, but can certainly understand those who feel that need.

just wondering, if they would be making dresses, lingerey and other stuff, same feel, same look, but in mens departement , would you buy it there, would it be the same feeling?

Gold Member
    Yes...I consider myself a crossdresser, tho I like to do more than just simply wear feminine attire. I also love the challenge of completely transforming myself to appear female, but I'm not interested in any kind of transition.

I find that its not just in the dressing but I do like to have a full transformation if possible which to me includes bodyshaving and make up ,wig and accessories.I do like to be a guy and do the male things but wish I had more of an opportunity to fully dress and venture out just occassionally.

Just a plain old, run of the mill, everyday crossdresser.......

After years of my own personal struggle with change and transition within myself, I am happy to admit that I am a crossdresser. Just happy to wear my girly things when I can, which is not really very often. I could psychoanalyze this if I chose to, and allow the wonderful creators of the DSM-IV and the great labels that came from it a few ego strokes but those guys heads are way to big anyway, and what do they really know. Let others delve as deeply as they want into the why's, because it is not going to change me.
    Enjoying the softer side of life!