Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watch out for those Walmart managers!

I use to work for walmart, hate the place, and thier lp watch everyone. Plus a lot of the managers are morons, wouldn`t fret over it.

I have worked in retail for a number of years off and on. If you knew what a problem theft is in big box stores, you'd understand that this guy was just doing his job. It's not just Loss Prevent employees that watch you, it's every sales person's job to watch customers to be sure they are not stealing. I have had to watch customers myself as a department manager in a large hardware store where I was manager of the sporting goods department. We always tried to be discreet as we kept an eye on those that might look suspicious to us. But it is our job to keep theft to a minimum. Personally, I'd approach some of them and ask if I can be of any assistance. You usually can tell by mannerisms, demeanor or other signs that they are up to no good.
    Theft in all stores cost all of us a ton of money each year. I can't fault a store that is trying to minimise it.
    I admit, I'd be put off, unnerved and feel uncomfortable too if I was shadowed like. Especially if I was shopping in the ladies department. I never got mad. If it bothered me, I'd just leave and think nothing of it.
    Sorry, I can't agree with anyone that thinks this guy was wrong to watch you. Again, he was doing his job.

I hate Walmart too. Worst thing that ever happened to the retail industry.they put many smaller mom and pop stores out of business. Low pay and regard for their employees. Unfortunately, I do shop there at times. I mean, where else can I buy coffee at 2 AM when I realize I'm out. But I do my best to shop elsewhere.
    I saw a feature program about them on Discovery Channel. They interviewed the CEO. What an arrogant, uncaring idiot he is. When asked why they did not pay their people better, his answer was brief, he basically said, "We don't have to."
    Last edited by BRANDYJ; 07-13-2013 at 03:09 AM.

Similar thing happened to me last year at CVS. I was buying eyeshadow that had the buy one get one half off deal. I noticed a man dressed in black confronting a man who was carrying boxes of goods near the entrance presumbably waiting for the best time to make a run. I don't know for sure. As he was confronted by the man who is either a security or cop who had a badge, I was watching them as the confrontation went on and then the man dropped the items and left. I thought it was over, but it was not.

The security approached me and said he had to talk to me, he told me that I had 3 guys watching me on camera and that I looked suspicious. I was scared and pulled out my CVS car and told him that I am a customer and he said if I needed any help he would get an associate for me and then shook my hand. I was scared, bitter, and angry. I bought my make up and left. I saw him at the cashier but he did not acknowledge me. I called the store number on the receipt to complain about the incident which they seemingly ignore.

If this ever happens again, I will use more words in the store and on the phone and speak to the store manager as well as file a complaint with corporate.

I've revisited the store twice since the incident and I returned proudly en femme. You should try the same when returning.
    I don't dress to impress, I dress to outdress

I have often shopped in the local Tesco store and have found the best approach is to be as at ease as possible , how many women shoppers look around to see who is watching them ? . I have only ever had one slightly bitter experience and that was in a Asda store who are affiliated with Walmart and that was more someone ignorance than the stores fault.

I would just say , get back into the store and be the most important person to them ............ The Customer !!!.

Write and complain if you feel uneasy about doing so in person , but you must let them know your feelings .

I have not been in a walmart for 7 years. I will never go to a walmart. I prefer JC Pennys and K Mart. I have shopped both and the so,s are helpful and very polite about letting me try on clothes, no matter what I bring to the dressing room.

I love the stores that have self service checkouts. In Oz there are quite a few stores (K mart for one) using self service now so you can buy what you want without having to hand it to anyone. Its a lot more relaxing. I bought 3 x nubras which i never would have done if I had to hand the to a checkout chick...Ellie

Hey, don't worry about Wal-Mart. They don't see how good you look in those outfits you buy like the government does when you post pics here.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Miller View Post
    You really could have played this one to the hilt. After making sure you could identify him you should have beat feet to the customer service counter and asked them to page the manager because you have been made to feel VERY uncomfortable by a STALKER! ..........
    Yes, this person was stalking you. You have no way of knowing he was a manager unless he was wearing a sign. I would have confronted him and asked him what his problem was.
    Instead of confronting him, you could have called the police.

This sort of behavior is not uncommon but it's usually in the small "Mom and Pop" stores. I had a black male co-worker years ago and he told me that every time he went in a Korean owned store, the owner would follow him around. I gave him the same advice I posted here; confront the person and demand to know why you're being followed.

Several people have posted that the guy was "just doing his job". Well, is his job to harass customers and make them feel uncomfortable? Do stores feel that everyone who enters is a thief or criminal? The've already put radio tags on all the merchendise so you can't leave the store without an alarm sounding (we, the customers pay for this BTW).

For a time, some of the stores had a person stationed at the door and after you stood in line at the register to pay for your purchases, they made you stand in another line while they rooted through your bags and checked everything against your reciept! I was often tempted to not wait in the second line, to just bypass that person and walk out the door, but never did. What could they do, arrest me? They seem to have stopped doing that in my area.

All of this is just another good reason to shop on the Internet and stay away from local businesses.
    Last edited by linda allen; 07-13-2013 at 08:19 AM.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Having been in Walmart and bought many a panty, bra and other nice femmie things I've never had this problem. However, if you post the question online "where do you get most of your lingerie from" so many will say Walmart as it has to be the number one cd store as the prices are right and they always have a great variety and change and add new things all the time. So I'd say that Walmart knows that they have a lot of us in their stores and really should welcome us. That said perhaps this person who you thought was a manager could have been interested in you as a cd and not as a thief. Your cart if loaded with nice femmie things would be a give away and certainly he didn't expect you'd just roll it outside without paying. My guess is you may have had an admirer and take his following you as a compliment.

Gold Member
    I tend to be more passive. I am out to enjoy myself and get what I need. Would I confront someone like this? Yes, as choice #2. I would return things or turn over my cart as it inconveniences me as I have to start all over somewhere else. But you can make them know that you either tagged them as a Loss Prevention or a creep. Hold up your phone and take a few shots. If they continue following, doing it again. I suspect creeps would be long gone as they don't want to be identified. Maybe some LP would leave because they aren't suppose to get ID'ed. So you are firmly left with LP that is persistent and doesn't care if they are seen. Then you only need to worry if you are actually doing something wrong, otherwise continue shopping!

This really sounds unpleasant. Being followed around so blatantly would be unsettling, even if you weren't shopping for ladies undergarments. I could imagine equal discomfort from a genetic girl being watched buying undergarments. Nevertheless, the path chosen here is probably the most realistic. Just move on with life. I'm hoping some of the suggestions proposed in earlier responses are mostly in jest, or are purely hypothetical. As far as I'm aware, this hasn't happened to me (I didn't even know these people existed until this thread).

- Becky
    "It's my life, it's now or never. I ain't gonna live forever. I just want to live while I'm alive. " - Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Simmons View Post
    I would have asked if I could help him. Put him on the spot.
    Beat me to it

Wherever I am, if I feel the service or products are bad or I am made to feel uncomfortable, I say you vote with your wallet (purse) and no longer spend your money in those places. There are several places that I won't go anymore because of this.

You could look the dick in the eye and wait for him to look away then say, "man some people have eye problems and should see the optitan here in the store."

I challenge them and if they are not condescending or pleasant I tell them I will file a complaint and ask for their name or identity.
    I have always got positive responses from head offices of companies.
    You do have to word your complaint carefully an state the "true" facts.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDYJ View Post
    I have worked in retail for a number of years off and on. If you knew what a problem theft is in big box stores, you'd understand that this guy was just doing his job. It's not just Loss Prevent employees that watch you, it's every sales person's job to watch customers to be sure they are not stealing. I have had to watch customers myself as a department manager in a large hardware store where I was manager of the sporting goods department. We always tried to be discreet as we kept an eye on those that might look suspicious to us. But it is our job to keep theft to a minimum. Personally, I'd approach some of them and ask if I can be of any assistance. You usually can tell by mannerisms, demeanor or other signs that they are up to no good.
    Theft in all stores cost all of us a ton of money each year. I can't fault a store that is trying to minimise it.
    I admit, I'd be put off, unnerved and feel uncomfortable too if I was shadowed like. Especially if I was shopping in the ladies department. I never got mad. If it bothered me, I'd just leave and think nothing of it.
    Sorry, I can't agree with anyone that thinks this guy was wrong to watch you. Again, he was doing his job.

I hate Walmart too. Worst thing that ever happened to the retail industry.they put many smaller mom and pop stores out of business. Low pay and regard for their employees. Unfortunately, I do shop there at times. I mean, where else can I buy coffee at 2 AM when I realize I'm out. But I do my best to shop elsewhere.
    I saw a feature program about them on Discovery Channel. They interviewed the CEO. What an arrogant, uncaring idiot he is. When asked why they did not pay their people better, his answer was brief, he basically said, "We don't have to."
    The problem is that statistically, most stuff walks out the back door, not the front. Employee theft overall is far more significant the customer theft.

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    Really? I would like to see the stats that back this up......

They don't know who you are buying for, could be your mother, not likely, girl friend or wife. Let the other people figure it out. Ain't none of their business.

Quote Originally Posted by Loni View Post
    should have walked over to him and said hold this for me a sec. then walk away leaving him holding a bra or panties on a hanger
    Or you could ask him "I'm looking for a 36C Playtex 18 Hour bra, could you help me?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Simmons View Post
    I would have asked if I could help him. Put him on the spot.
    Same here but I'm gg and I am creeped out by guys following me around so in the open store loud and clear "hey there can I help you ? You seem to be following me!
    Do not judge someone by what they wear . There's a person inside there!

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDYJ View Post
    The motivation of the guy is what matters. The fact that he was completely tactless is certainly an issue, perhaps a reason he shouldn't have that job.

But motivation matters. Was he profiling based on prejudice? That's discrimination. Consider your statement in the context where the only reason an LP associate is following a customer is because of their ethnicity. In this particular case, the white elephant in the room is was he profiling because it was a man in drab filling up a cart with women's stuff? Now, when it's me, I pick up the items and hold them to my body to size them and stuff, so it's OBVIOUS who I'm shopping for. I've even done the "put the bra on loosely over my clothes" thing. I've had customers leave the area when they saw me doing that, and that's a bit annoying, but I still don't know if they were repelled by me or if they were just done and their leaving was coincidental to what I was doing. I've also had SA's ask if I need help finding something, and one in particular told me a particular bra looked good with my eyes, but even they usually stay away when I'm with my wife. Those SAs may have been on LP duty for the moment, admittedly, but at that point they were doing their job correctly.

So if we assume the motivation was prejudiced profiling, then the guy was completely wrong to do that. If his motive was pure, he was just tactless. Either way, a polite rebuke would have been appropriate.

The best defense is a good offence. I would have walked over to him and asked, is there something wrong?, I'm sure this question would catch him off guard.

Hi, Another thought, you stated you were in drab, maybe he thought you were cute, but was a little shy and didn't have the nerve to approach. Which created an awkward moment for you and him. When I was younger occasionally gay men would try to pick me up, I always said "no thanks" Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Platinum Member
    I suspect the man was part of loss prevention, however, with poor training in being stealthful about it. I think most informs LP people would be sufficiently trained to recognize an older man buying women's undergarments is probably a cross dresser. I'd be more prone to scope out the cosmetic aisles where the teenagers hang out.

Recently I was exiting a local big box variety store and observed a young male dash out of the garden section with six or more pairs of pants under his arm. He hopped into a vehicle that was waiting for him. The car drove to another part of the parking lot instead of leaving the lot. I wrote down the license plate number. Then, the car moved further away with it headlights aimed at the store. The driver turned the lights off and on when another male exited the store to let him know where he was parked. Obviously, it was a crew ripping off the store. I went back into the store and told the "mini" manager what I saw, including a description and plate number and the exit the person used, so the security camera tape could track him through the store. What was the end result? I don't know! I'm sure the supposed LP person at Wal-Mart, so engrossed with an older man buying women's clothing, would never suspect the older man was a nice distraction while his cohorts made off with the high priced stuff.

Sorry but I have to chime in: First, it's highly unlikely that this man was LP for several reasons. Mode of dress is usually meant to blend in
    wearing jeans, sport shirt or whatever. There is one possibility of deviation however as in recent years a higher economic level of shoppers
    frequent Wal*Marts these days so he could have been wearing shirt and even tie to make like one of those shoppers. However motivation
    if he were an LP has nothing to do with it as by staring and being obvious is definitely not in their traning manuals so, yes he should be fired if he were an LP. Chances are that the motivation was for a reason we can only guess. I agree that he should have been peacefully confronted and a picture taken. The method followed in most large stores is that one or more employees man monitors of the entire store. Then, when something unusual is spotted they alert by phone to the floor plainclothes people to observe and follow to be sure that the object(s) are not dropped on the way out, for if the suspect does drop and then detained for even 3 minutes it becomes unlawful in every state. By the way the best LPs are women so they make up the majority of security. According to the last annual Security report put out by the Mass Retail Institute, and by all previous reports, internal theft by employees usually averages more than 7 times the loss by shoplifters! By the way, and this is sad but true, one of the major reasons that WAl*Mart became the major shopping place for over 60% of the public has to do with preventing unionization. With the exception of Wards and a few other non-union chains that folded or were swallowed up due to mismanagement, the unions understandably fighting for higher wages caused their demise. Yes, Wal*Mart does have the lowest margin of profit and the lowest average retail prices due to being able to paying the lowest wages. Right or wrong them's the facts.
    Julie