Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Female or male DR.

I prefer a female doctor, at least the one I go to now will unhook my bra for me if need to!

I use to have a male DR... I did not like him all that much and apparently he did not like me to much either...because he transfered me over to another Dr ...who is Female of course..I like her a lot better and we get along great. But to my horror she is has gone on leave for 6 months and her office scheduled me to go see DR Butt head next week for my yearly physical....I can tell this is gonna go really well cause i got to ask him to schedule me for a mamogram...

Joann

My doctor runs his hospital's LGBT friendly clinic. I actually met this doctor some time prior at a trans support group meeting and went to him when I needed a new primary doctor

My dermatologist is female. My attorney is female. My dentist is female.

I also had a female doctor for 2.5 years when I went back to college for degree #3 (B.A. psychology). But she moved out when she accepted a Professor position at another University in a different state…hehehhee (she was a Ph.D type of “Doctor” ).

The only “reason” I can imagine having to advise my physician of my CD interests would be for hormones, breast implant surgery , or similar procedures…which I do not plan to pursue. If I did elect to take that path I would prefer female. But the final selection would be decided by credentials and expertise…not gender.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My preference has always been for a female doctor. When my current MD joined the practice I had a checkup and then handed her some pictures of Sally. I said "I don't know if you have a box for this to check off in your computer but this is me". Thought in the long term that my GP should know what issues I have, both physical and mental. She has been wonderful!
    Sally

Silver Member
    I have had both, and in general prefer a female, but usually end up stuck with a male.

I told my family doctor when I was in my late teens I was a TV, and he a surprisingly good understanding of transvestism (and claimed to know a few himself.) I did not tell my 2nd doctor, I didn't feel comfortable talking to him about it. He did lock onto my lack of body hair and I told him my girlfriend preferred me that way (which was kinda/sorta true at the time.)

One thing I will say is that I have found younger male doctors (and dentists, therapists, healthcare providers in general) have a much better bedside manner, listen better and tend to be more empathetic than their older counterparts. The older ones also tend to have that "type A" personality going on, and I just can't stand that BS, especially when I am vulnerable; I suspect that is one reason cisgender males avoid going to the doctor as well. Of course, there are exceptions, but I found it to be a general rule of thumb.

My male Internist knows, doesn't seem to be an issue for him, but in your scenario, I would choose a female just cuz!

Personally, I don't care what gender, race, or religion my doctors are.
    Two out of three of my original Drs (I have to see a lot more for different reasons now) are in Who's Who of American DRs. They are the best in their fields!
    I have been with my Orthopedic Dr for 33 years and he has never once said anything about my hair-less body.
    I have told several nurses about being a cross dresser and have never had any negative reactions.
    The last time I was in the hospital, I was on-line here and asked the nurse if she wanted to see the real me.
    I showed her my profile pic and she just said, your a cross dresser.
    She then asked if my wife knew.
    I said that Jean is the one who took the pic.
    So, to answer your question, it makes no difference to me.

I would prefer a male doctor,but being a veteran whose healthcare is provided from the veterans administration,I never have a choice,we get stuck with whoever is up,veterans hospitals are teaching hospitals,and we always get students,who are still in college and when they make a serious mistake,we have no recourse.
    Drink up me heartys,yo ho!

Kate

Silver Member
    Famale Dr for me in that situation, I would find it so much easier to discuss with a lady doc

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    My current general practitioner is male and he is terrific. My interest is communication and ability, not gender.

tina

Platinum Member
    I prefer going to a female primary care provider. I don't make any attempt to hide my panties or the tan line from my thong, but I honestly don't think that she really notices or cares what my dressing habits may be.

I'll prefer a female doctor, IMHO females normally have more acceptance about CDing than males.

The last time I needed to select a doctor, I selected a female one. It was not because of anything CD related, but because I needed a prostate exam. Female doctors have smaller hands.
    Phoebe

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I have a female doctor and she does not know .... and I am very happy about that! If I "had to" tell a doctor then I would be more comfortable telling a female one.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I currently have 4 doctors! Hey, when you are my age you have problems!! My Primary doctor, my Endochronologist, and my Urologist are all male. My Cardiologist is a beautiful female! All 4 of them know I CD, and don't care. They get paid no matter what I am wearing, and that is all they care about, other than my health. I choose my doctors by what they know, not about how they will think of me being a CD!! That is my business, not theirs!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Both the physicians I see regularly are female, and I prefer that. My current young female primary is very open and curious about my CD'ing (and bodyart and all the rest) and we have good conversations about it. I never felt I could be that open with male docs, especially the previous primary I had, who was kind of a cold fish in many ways.

- Diane

Neither.

It's funny, really. When I was a kid, my dad used to tell this story about a city in California, not too far from where I grew up. One year, before I was born, all the doctors in the city went on strike -- and the death rate DROPPED. I used to think he was full of crap, but not only was he right, it's not the only time it's happened.

I avoid doctors like the bloody plague.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    In the UK, you register with a doctor (even in a large practice) but don't necessarily see him/her for treatment. I am registered with a very nice male doctor with a good bedside manner, but for my Gender Dysphoria I see one of his partners who is a lady. I find it easy to talk to her and like the fact that at my first visit she told me that I would be the first person she has helped from day 1 (she has had patients who came to her already in transition) but that if I was willing she would like to undertake the journey with me.

I registered with this practice when I came back to England, One year later I got a letter from them saying roughly "We were wondering if you are OK as you haven't been to see us" Unfortunately, I can't get the same letter again as I now have to go there several times a year for blood tests, diabetes clinic and support for my transition.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe Reece View Post
    The last time I needed to select a doctor, I selected a female one. It was not because of anything CD related, but because I needed a prostate exam. Female doctors have smaller hands.
    Hi Phoebe!
    Miss you!
    The first time that I saw my urologist, he wanted to check my prostate.
    I said "show me your hand"!
    He held his hand up and asked why?
    I told him that I don't bring the prostate up with my primary DR because he has short fat fingers!
    I said he would be OK.
    He has long thin fingers.
    I thought that he was going to crack up!

a bit nutty
    My doctor is male. I never felt the need to let him know about my crossdressing and I don't have any "tells" that would expose it. I rarely see him (except when it's shot time for the kids). He's a nice guy so I think he'd be fine with it. He gets paid the big bucks regardless of what I may wear.

Ginger

I go to a female primary care doctor and have for 11 years. The first time I went in for an annual check up I was completely shaved. While examining she asked if I was a swimmer? I replied no, I just can't stand body hair and prefer to shave and that was that. We chatted about how there is a trend now for men to shave, wax or laser hair from their bodies. I've been there in the years since when I haven't been shaved and she has commented "gave up huh?" Knowing that it is a lot of work to maintain. It's kind of a running joke between us. Bottom line, I prefer a female doctor regardless of shaving or not.

Just finding my way.... StaceyJane's Avatar
    I just made an appointment with a female doctor for HRT.
    The clinic I'm using gave me a choice of doctors one female and the other......
    Well another female so really not much to decide there.
    Stacey

I'm not a doctor, I just play one on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wob7zmvVTb8

My doctor is female. But don't read too much into it. She's our family doctor and a good friend.
    And incidentally, a fine doctor!

Thanks for all the posts. We all know that in a way it does not matter on a professional level if it's male or female, but this thread confirms my thought that a lot of us have it easier talking to a female DR.

I have a new male dr and to be honest I think he is a bit strange .so I agree also with a lot of you about patient/ DR relationship, asci would never dream about telling him.

Now all I need to do is book an appointment with the female DR.

Thanks all