Thread: So what percentage of males are crossdressers.

So what percentage of males are crossdressers.

I am amazed by the number of sisters i have on here. A huge cross-section of society from all over the world. There are girls of all ages, all professions and we all dress from underdressing to going out fully dressed to stores and restaurants. couple that with the fact of how many websites are devoted to girls like us, and gee, all the websites that sell breast form and things for mtf crossdressers. just think we're keeping the breastform and wig industries alive. i was amazed at just how many different brands and types of breastforms there.

so my question is, what percentage of males are mtf crossdressers.
    man, i feel like a woman

Platinum Member
    well, there are 300 million + americans alone. Half are male. So if 1% were CDers, that would mean 1.5 million. That's a pretty good siced market. But the real answer probably doesn't exist. Google could give you a better range of guestimates than any of us can.

No one really knows for sure but based on 70 years dealing with the subject and, as you did ,seeing the huge growth in resources, websites, etc. I ventured in my forthcoming book to be published this Fall (Never Climbed His mountain- Second Edition) that 4% or 6 million is a prudent number.
    Julie
    Last edited by Julie Gaum; 09-10-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: my bad

I remember reading a survey many years ago that said that 75% of all men had worn women's clothing at least once in their lives.
    IIRC the survey did go on to break that down to such things as fraternity pranks, and other non-choice situations as well as the by choice activities.

Counting the transgender population accurately would be nearly impossible without a total invasion of privacy. Is the man buying women's underwear a cross-dresser or is he buying a gift for his wife, daughter, or girl-friend?

Many transgendered men go to great lengths to keep their secret a secret. Many wait years, even decades, to tell their own wives.

And yet there seems to be a substantial market for erotica about cross-dressing and gender-play. They have gone from the rare articles in very restricted circulation magazines to easily obtained magazines like Penthouse Letters and Variations, and has gone mainstream.

Priscilla Queen of the Desert grossed $28 million.

To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything Julie Newmar grossed 43 million dollars

- even at $10 a ticket, that's 4 million people. And how many didn't see it in theaters, but saw it later, on DVD, or Cable?

Rocky Horror Picture sold 38 million tickets over the years.

MRS Doubtfire - 54 million tickets

Tootsie - 59.6 million tickets.

This would indicate that there are a LOT of men who may have at least THOUGHT about it.

Let's assume that only 1/2 of the Tootsie viewers were males. That would be almost 30 million men who wanted to see a guy in a dress.
    But remember, this would be only of the demographic of those who go to first-run movies - mostly younger. Older people tend to wait for the video or cable.

This could mean that at least 10% of the male population has considered the idea, and it could be as high as 50% based on the percentage of the total demographic.

Next, consider that this may only be the "cream of the crop", that there might be more who are still closeted, others who limit their fetishes to a few items, and others who enjoy it occasionally but it's not a major part of their lives. This could put the number of cross-dressers into the tens of millions, maybe even hundreds of millions worldwide.

Reference
    http://mrob.com/pub/film-video/topadj.html

I used to teach sex ed on the college level and the most accurate info I recieved was 3-5% of American men. Quite a large number.
    Dana Fleming

No one can do anymore than an educated guess, because of the hidden nature of the activity. I've never seen it on a Census form, and in all my years I've filled out a few. Even if asked, many would lie about it. But have you noticed, most women don't wear skirts very often, but the shops are still full of them, women have pretty much stopped wearing pantyhose, but there is just as many on the store shelves, who is buying all that stuff if the women aren't? It just does not matter to me just how many of us there are, as long as we are a large enough group to keep the manufactures putting out the good stuff, I'm happy with our numbers!
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

i have a feeling that every man would have tried women's clothing at least once, but only a small fraction would be willing to acknowledge that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tina B. View Post
    No one can do anymore than an educated guess, because of the hidden nature of the activity. I've never seen it on a Census form, and in all my years I've filled out a few. Even if asked, many would lie about it. But have you noticed, most women don't wear skirts very often, but the shops are still full of them, women have pretty much stopped wearing pantyhose, but there is just as many on the store shelves, who is buying all that stuff if the women aren't? It just does not matter to me just how many of us there are, as long as we are a large enough group to keep the manufactures putting out the good stuff, I'm happy with our numbers!
    Tina B.
    My guess is there are quite alot of us out there. In my world this is something I need to keep to myself because of the nonunderstanding of so many others about us.

So ask a breast form store, "What percent are sold in pairs?" How many sold per year? Then you only have to estimate how many of us are still stuffing our frontal anatomy with socks, water balloons, and bird seed? And then subtract those who have more than one pair.

Is anybody willing to stand outside a breast form store and count how many customers in one typical day leave with a big box?

Does anyone have sales figures for silicone gel? Is there a silicone marketing association?

Gold Member
    This question should be on the next Census form.
    Rader

I have a feeling that stores like Payless shoes have a pretty good idea. The size curve for woman's feet should be a nice normal bell curve. The amount the sales curve on the large end deviates from the size curve would give a pretty good idea of how many of those larger shoes are going to people with Y chromosomes. Isolate the data for a single large shoe size, interpolate it over the entire population and you could get a fair estimate of the number of crossdressers.

The same could be done for any other large size clothing sales and I have no doubt that large retailers do so. Unfortunately it is proprietary data that they are unlikely to share. As friendly as some stores are with us they really don't want that word to get out into the general population.

I'm not sure that breast form sales would be as accurate. Many woman do use two forms and many crossdressers buy forms from non-medical sources.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I heard results suggesting 1 in 20 men with a high probability of 1 in 7 being a more accurate answer. I have no idea, now, what the source of those figures is/was.
    It is a real eye opener that in a room of seven men one of them will be CD/TV/TG (of course if it is me in that room is is an absolute!!). It is even rumoured that the more 'macho' the occupation, the more that statistic holds good!!

I can also imagine that there are far more than expected. I have a feeling that many many men would like to be the other gender but most of them are afraid to express this wish.

100%..... most just don't want to admit it....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

This is easy. Michigan beat Notre Dame in front of 114,000 fans in attendance. Let's just get a stadium announcer at halftime to ask all crossdressers to raise their hands. Then do the math. The answer would probably be something like 0.0001 percent

Oh, yes. Can't pass up the chance to say "Hooray! ND loses again!"

Platinum Member
    Hi Cassandra, When the Goverment makes us register then we will have a good count.

Orchid

It really depends on your definition of a crossdresser. If you use the definition of a man deriving pleasure from wearing women's clothing, some studies have shown that's about 30%, at one time or another.

But if you're talking about full blown, heels, wigs, breastforms and clothing... my completely anecdotal thought is, much less than 1%. Why? Because I'm in my late 40s and I can count the number of crossdressers I've seen in general public, (outside of gay areas) on one hand. And I live in a big city.

Even considering the 70+% who never leave their house, we're VERY rare, like it or not.

Does it make you feel better to think our group is bigger? I don't need that "support". I feel more special thinking I'm part of a very elite group

Of guys who go as far as most of this forum i'm going to low ball it and say one in 50 . Guys who've just tried on women's clothing probably one in five.

Complex Lolita...
    Quote Originally Posted by cassandra54
    So what percentage of males are crossdressers.
    [SIZE="2"]In order to properly answer this question, you may have to define what a crossdresser IS. Since we can’t even agree on terminology on this site, I plead the fifth. Most likely a lot of people have tried on the clothes of the opposite gender, and they may qualify as “crossdressers,” even though their flirtation was brief and perhaps unrewarding. My own definition of a MtF crossdresser is an individual who takes the plunge, enjoys the difference, and keeps “doing” it against all the odds. Trying on female clothes purely for a goof is not true crossdressing, IMHO…

Therefore, I feel there is a VERY small percentage of males who are true crossdressers, and even fewer of them seek out their peers, compatriots (or what have you) and express their passion via words – I see the latter as an active reinforcement of a non-conformist lifestyle, and I must say it’s very pleasing to know I am squarely in the minority when it comes to human (male) existence…
    [/SIZE]