Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A really insane tarrot reading thing

Aspiring Member sarah_hillcrest's Avatar

A really insane tarrot reading thing

OK, so trust me, I'm a skeptic, I'm science based, I hate this stuff. Yet sometimes it feels like fate is trying to tell me something. It's happened one other time, after lunch at a Chinese restaurant I was thinking about crossdressing and my fortune cookie literally said, "You should get in touch with your feminine side." No joke.

Last night my wife wanted to try these oracle cards she bought long ago and had never opened, called "Earth Magic" She's all into hippie stuff, and the art on the box was like super hippie style. She read the directions shuffled the deck then told me to think of a problem. I immediately thought, "Well my problem is I want to be a woman," She said not to tell her the problem then shuffled the cards and laid out 5 in a cross as the directions indicated.

"Now tell your problem," she said. I told her I didn't want to, but she said the cards wouldn't work if I didn't announce my problem before the first card. I started to make something up, but she could tell and said, "Don't lie,"

"OK, I want to be better at being a woman," I said.

She looked me in the face and said, "Well that's definitely a problem,"

1st card represented the problem, it was NEW MOON, the booklet explained that New Moon means it's time for a change, to renew something that has been neglected. Of course it didn't escape me that the moon is a traditional symbol of the feminine.

2nd card represents a Subconscious influence that I'm dealing with, that card was THE RIVER, a boundary that must be crossed. the book explained I was fighting against the current of my life and must surrender the flow.

3rd card represents a conscious influence that I'm dealing with, that card was THE OCEAN, the ocean tells us we must move with the ebb and flow of life and that we can't get obsessed with something. "You are fighting the ebb and flow of your own feelings" It seemed to me these card were more or less saying the same thing, but both were completely accurate.

4th card represents what is required for the resolution of my problem, it was MUSIC, the book explains that music means weaving together the various aspects of your life into harmony, finding symmetry and balance. It didn't escape me that Music showed two beautiful women playing instruments, and that I had recently been working hard to develop my singing voice.

5th card represents the resolution of your problem, it was THE RAINBOW, yes I kid you not, the resolution of my problem was a freaking rainbow. The booklet explains that the rainbow marks the beautiful resolution of a cycle, the end of storms and the birth of a new time of peace. That I should bless my problems and hardships and let them go.

Wow, I mean, is that not creepy.
    Last edited by sarah_hillcrest; 07-12-2019 at 05:37 PM.

It's creepy alright. But isn't real life creepier?

No. It’s really not that creepy. Everything it said was super generic and could apply to anyone’s life. These things have exactly as much power as YOU GIVE them. TRUST me it’s all trash. My wife worked as a phone psychic.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    You are falling to the classic draw into tarot cards.
    The whole thing is extremely generic just like horoscopes.
    Be careful and don't put much stock in any of that.

Albuquerque, NM (SE of there in mountain foothills)
    I too got a "You should get in touch with your feminine side" cookie fortune once. A work in progress!?

"Trust me I'm a skeptic" erm no. No you're not. Otherwise you'd more readily subscribe to coincidence + sweeping generalisations = whatever the hell you want it to mean, rather than ever mentioning 'fate'.

That statement btw is one of the first lines of defence of full on believers. It's ubiquitous. Along with the likes of 'I'm science-based' whatever that's supposed to mean.

I met and married a woman I'd never met, who lived 4500 miles away. A Depeche Mode fan in East TN no less. Spooky? No. Fate? Erm no. Simple weight of numbers. There are 7 billion people on the planet. There are way more unlikely couplings than my own.

That's skepticism. Your post is what's known as apologism.

You guys are harshing my buzz, LOL. Seriously I know it's total BS, it's my mind projecting what I want to see on the things laid out in front of me. Is it fun and harmless? I guess, I mean I haven't bought a set of spirit crystals yet.

Quote Originally Posted by abbiedrake View Post
    "Trust me I'm a skeptic" erm no. No you're not. Otherwise you'd more readily subscribe to coincidence + sweeping generalisations = whatever the hell you want it to mean, rather than ever mentioning 'fate'.

That statement btw is one of the first lines of defence of full on believers. It's ubiquitous. Along with the likes of 'I'm science-based' whatever that's supposed to mean.

I met and married a woman I'd never met, who lived 4500 miles away. A Depeche Mode fan in East TN no less. Spooky? No. Fate? Erm no. Simple weight of numbers. There are 7 billion people on the planet. There are way more unlikely couplings than my own.

That's skepticism. Your post is what's known as apologism.
    You're obviously much smarter than me, I had to look up apologism, which then made me feel even dumber since I understand the term generally in context of Christian Apologetics. I'm science-based means that I like to frame my reference of reality through objective facts and empirical knowledge, except for when I'm slightly drunk and playing fortune teller with my wife. Anyway, East Tennessee is great, but Depeche Mode can stay in England.
    Last edited by sarah_hillcrest; 07-11-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Platinum Member
    OK, so what does your wife say? If I was you I'd go shopping for a new dress or two before the aura disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    OK, so what does your wife say? If I was you I'd go shopping for a new dress or two before the aura disappears.
    Well that's been kind of joke today, lets just say she has taken every opportunity to remind me that the "fates" think I need a rainbow.

Well now, given that your wife is somewhat credulous that does present a unique opportunity. I suggest seizing on any remote piece of hokum that might hint at the idea you should dress more. 😂

Start drinking tea and claim to have read it in the leaves. Next time you gut a chicken be sure to remark on how the giblets pointed towards a state of heightened feminity in your immediate future. Horoscopes should likewise be exploited to their fullest wacky potential.

The next time you buy a femme outfit claim the crystals made you do it. 😁

Now that's good advice, but I have no clue how to gut a chicken or even find the giblets LOL

Banned Spammer
    Speaking of giblets where are they in a chicken and what do they do exactly?
    I assume you Brits raise chickens behind your flats or what ever they call them.
    When Brits say flats I think of shoes then wonder WHT is he talking about then remember its living quarters.

Platinum Member
    Giblets, for the uninformed on either side of the pond, are the gizzard, heart and liver. Jeez, hasn’t anyone cooked a thanksgiving dinner?
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I recently had a Tarot reading too. I don’t believe in magic powers, mystics, Magic eight balls, Ouija boards, Nostradamus , etc. I was bored and had the reading on a spontaneous whim. I had what seemed a confusing array of cards and the reader said she didn’t understand but we engaged in a discussion and in a epiphany she was able to explain them all as meaning I should retire from work so I could travel and be with my wife. I’m at a point where that makes a lot of sense, though I love my career, and I’ve not only been thinking about this advice, but my wife is now enthusiastic about a bicycle trip in Europe.
    So, while this could have been accomplished by a Rorschach test, tea leaves or talking to a stranger at any bar, and I don’t think the cards hold special powers, the experience has helped me think more about my life decisions. And that is real, and worth the 25$,

I should have said 'when you gut a chicken and remove the McNuggets'. 😁

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Oh, this is so funny. But, I can relate. I went to a fortune teller.
    She was gorgeous and extremely well endowed.
    The first card said, "Eyes up here, Creep!"
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

I too have a deck of Tarot cards. I think it would be a nifty thing to do crossdressed.

Your spelling of the word gave me an idea: a deck of parrot-based Tarot cards. That would be an interesting novelty.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    I dressed as a Gypsy Fortune teller for Halloween once, a few years back---I had a crystal Ball AND Tarot cards. ALL the ladies there wanted me to read their fortunes. We had lots of fun. Carl G. Jung said that there really IS something to tarot cards as they are coincidence/Synchronicity generating tools that can create Synchronicity (Meaningful coincidences) between the questioner and the interconnected universe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MarinaTwelve200; 07-12-2019 at 01:26 PM.

Like professional football and a host of other diversions, as long as we use tarot cards for entertainment purposes, no harm, no foul.

Banned Read only

California Dreamin Michaelasfun's Avatar
    Just stay away from Ouija boards
    Michaela

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by MarinaTwelve200 View Post
    I dressed as a Gypsy Fortune teller for Halloween once, a few years back---I had a crystal Ball AND Tarot cards. ALL the ladies there wanted me to read their fortunes. We had lots of fun. Carl G. Jung said that there really IS something to tarot cards as they are coincidence/Synchronicity generating tools that can create Synchronicity (Meaningful coincidences) between the questioner and the interconnected universe.
    Boom, now that's some straight up intellectualism! Love it!

Jung, who famously never said anything Stoopid ever?/irony (not sarcasm, my intention is not to wound. #TrynnaTeachTheWorldTheDamnDifference #SemanticNazi 😜.)

Banned Spammer
    You know why fortune tellers can't have babies?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Irving View Post
    Like professional football and a host of other diversions, as long as we use tarot cards for entertainment purposes, no harm, no foul.
    This is the problem. The people who understand it’s just entertainment don’t do it. You should hear some of the messed up questions my wife used to get asked as a phone psychic and those people put SERIOUS stock in what she said and were fully ready to make life-altering decisions based on her “information”.