Thread: Chee do doctors just ask everyone about gender now?

Gold Member

Chee do doctors just ask everyone about gender now?

I know, I know, now that TG is out and about and everyone makes a big deal of it (except those of us who live it full time).

Anyways, last time i went to the doc maybe two weeks ago, there was some sheet to fill out asking about gender. Of course transgender was on there.
    So I put that yet STILL had to explain to the doctor that pap tests and menstrual cycles do not apply to me. Yeah a little awkward but she asked something MORE akward during the visit. More on that in a moment.

So my room mate's mom went to the doctor recently and they asked her if she was transgender. Oh FFS. My room mate's mom happens to be a GG and nothing about her screams "man".

Honestly though, the world is acting like this planet is being over run with TG. No, there are still very few of us out there. No need to turn the world upside down just yet.

So about the MORE akward question -
    OK so I am not embarrassed about my gender status. Ask away, I do not mind. BUT - recently i got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My doctor asked about my sugar intake. I flat out told her, "It is quite a bit, I am embarrassed to even say". She don;t need to know that most every day i drink about 4 to 8 cans of pepsi, one quart of kool aid, large glass of chocolate milk, eat 1/2 a pound of chocolate, perhaps some ice cream after dinner... I know there is other high-fructose junk but anyways.

On a good note, I have no cavities Bring on the Little Debbies!

So back to the point, do they just anyone and everyone now?
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Aspiring Member
    Your doc does need to know about all your junk food consumption so she can lecture you and scare you into a significant diet change! Hello diet pepsi and celery! You know you can go blind and have limbs amputated from diabetes right?

The more widespread TG stuff becomes, the better off we are. If they ask everyone, once most of the reactionaries get over it(or not), it just becomes another thing and the stigma is reduced, which is good.

If you want good results in life, in my opinion, you’re supposed to tell your doctor, therapist, and SO everything and anything they wish to know.

You’re looking at it as if your doctor is being noisey and it’s none of their buisness. But you need to realize they are probably just trying to help and are being thorough.

I believe there are more TS out there than you think. I wonder to myself how many trans in the past lived all their lives scared to come out in fear of violence and other forms of push back against them. The more accepting society becomes, the more people will come out of the closet.

Not sure why anyone would go to a doctor and then not answer the doctors's obviously health related questions. A waste of time and money and health resources.

Banned Read only
    Nicole Erin,
    It's getting like that in the UK . I went to book an appointment at my GPs dressed to get the arthritis in my toes checked, she asked me if I wished to have my registered name changed , I told her it wasn't a problem because I only need to change a Y for an I in my shortened version.

I attended the appointment dressed , the doctor quickly wrote the form for an X-Ray on my feet and then went on to discuss my gender issues , I was grateful but didn't expect it , so I told him at the moment I'm fine with the sitaution , so obviously I can expect support if I need it .

I would assume the doctor had an issue which is the basis for question or there would be no reason to ask
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

We complain about a lot on this sire here. One of those things is the lack of data on Transgender individuals and the other is the inadequate and misunderstood servicse from our medical care givers on trans medical issues. Thus, with all the new noise about transgender rights and celebrity coming out stories like Caitlyn Jenner, the medical practices are finally getting on board. I am not sure if they report the fact that they have one or more trangender patients, but being political correct, which in my opinion for this case is correct, they are noting it in their files, asking us how we want to be addressed and will put on our female or male names ion their files to do the right thing. All good for me and all my doctors now know and treat me well.

how would we know the answer unless the forum were full of the 99% non-trans?

Now, Nicole Erin, that sugar will sure kill yer early, whether diabetes or cancer or both. My grandfather died of diabetes, so as a family we're careful with sugar. There's no need to consume any refined sugars.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Aspiring Member
    California, leading as usual, recently enacted a medical sensitivity and awareness statute. I had total hip replacement surgery in May, and there was a brief form at intake inquiring about birth sex, preferred current status, and an open question as to anything else the patient would like to add about gender identity or expression. At first I thought it was just an enlightened hospital (rural community of about 70,000), but the nurse told me it was a new state law and pointed out a nearby poster explaining the requirements. My surgeon and the nursing staff discreetly asked what name and pronouns I preferred and scrupulously honored them throughout the two-day stay in the hospital. My Medicare and supplemental insurance are in my male name, and comprehensive identity change has become something of a minefield, so there's the official label for insurance and my choices for how they interact with me. I was a first for some of the staff, and they were uniformly curious in a sincere professional way, so I was able to educate them. I hope it makes it easier for those who follow. Surgery was four weeks ago today, and my recovery is apparently above average. Not dancing yet, but taking laps around the block with the cane and getting back to everyday tasks.

And Nicole Erin, I hope your list of daily sugar intake was tongue-in-cheek...

Silver Member
    No, they are not all asking. No-one in my extended family has been asked. Both my wife and I also moved to (2 different) new primary care physicians. Neither one asked. *I* brought it up with mine first, however, because I’m on HRT and have some obvious physical changes besides.

I like my sugar too, but my real vice is salt. I salt salt. I salt bacon. I’m known to simply eat salt on occasion. I.e., I like salt. But one of the advantages to regular blood tests to monitor HRT is the monitoring of electrolyte levels. My sodium level is smack in the middle of the normal range. My potassium runs high, but - wait for it - salt is necessary to balance that properly! Ain’t life grand?

BTW, although my PCP isn’t very experienced with trans people, only having had a couple of other trans patients in the last 25 years, being trans carries an advantage for once (yay!) ... at least with her. She says I’m “interesting” and “unique”, so she’ll remember me far better. So bring up being trans! I mean, you’re unique! You’ll have a 50-50 shot as a result. Either you’ll be memorable and cherished, or memorable and scorned. If it never comes up, you have nearly a 100% chance of disappearing into the patient crowd. See! Being trans is GOOD for health care ...

(I nearly convinced myself.)
    Lea

About a month ago, I went to a local clinic that specializes in women's health care. I needed a gynecological exam. Since it was my first time there, I filled out their standard new patient form. There were the usual fields that needed to be filled out, like name, address, phone, medical history, etc. What I found interesting was the field for "sex". The choices were: male, female, transgender male, transgender female.

When the nurse brought me back to the exam room, I mentioned the form and asked, "I noticed the transgender options in the patient info form! Do you have a lot of transgender patients?" She smiled and said that in the 4 years that she's worked there, I'm the first transgender patient she's ever seen.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly Preston View Post
    I would assume the doctor had an issue which is the basis for question or there would be no reason to ask
    I do not think anyone is going to mistake my room mate's mom for a male. She is like 5'2", and just NO male characteristics. If she is TG, she is REALLY passable.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor186 View Post
    Not sure why anyone would go to a doctor and then not answer the doctors's obviously health related questions. A waste of time and money and health resources.
    They took a vile of blood, they can see my "sugar" levels. What am i going to say that does not show up in the blood tests?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki_P View Post
    Hello diet pepsi and celery! You know you can go blind and have limbs amputated from diabetes right?
    The more widespread TG stuff becomes, the better off we are. If they ask everyone, once most of the reactionaries get over it(or not), it just becomes another thing and the stigma is reduced, which is good.
    So when I get to that stage, I will have to trust the person who brings my sugar drinks that it is actual pepsi.
    Let's be honest about asking if people are TG - There are not many of us. Asking EVERYone is like making a mockery of the situation. It would get to the point where EVERYone is some kind of "TG".

Quote Originally Posted by Acastina View Post
    And Nicole Erin, I hope your list of daily sugar intake was tongue-in-cheek...
    No, it was pretty typical.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirya View Post
    The choices were: male, female, transgender male, transgender female. When the nurse brought me back to the exam room, I mentioned the form and asked, "I noticed the transgender options in the patient info form! Do you have a lot of transgender patients?" She smiled and said that in the 4 years that she's worked there, I'm the first transgender patient she's ever seen.
    Now that list seems fair enough. BUT, just you wait, soon the "whack jobs" among out TG community will start protesting since the list doesn't include whatever made-up gender they are.
    The problem there is that if enough of them did that, sooner or later the question would be, "what chromosomes were you born with?" THEN they will have blown it.

But not before the list of genders includes "Transneuterist feminine LGBTQISBBQWTF"

Oh come on now, we already know some in the community invent labels that are "out there." I should go talk to my room mate about this.

So how do *I* define myself -
    I am a sugar addict who happens to present like a woman.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.