Thread: We're 'Two Spiritied'- Native American acceptance

We're 'Two Spiritied'- Native American acceptance

I'll never forget a video I watched in Anthropology class while in college. It was a sex and evolution class and a Native American elder spoke about being 'two spirited'. He spoke very favorably about it and and talked about how it's accepted in their culture. They were revered and were often healers, medicine people, etc. It has always stuck w/ me.

I'm sure not all tribes/Native American people feel the same way, but at least it's addressed in their culture. Of course w/ colonization many Native American's probably side w/ our current society's viewpoint..

Read these articles for starters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Spirit & http://www.dancingtoeaglespiritsocie.../twospirit.php

There's lots of good info there. And it you want even more info, there's always a Google search I'm reading up on it now myself.

Just getting my feet wet Marie-Elise's Avatar
    My wife and I watched this documentary. I believe you can watch the whole thing for free online. Actually, after watching it, she said she has to watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
    My wife and I watched this documentary. I believe you can watch the whole thing for free online. Actually, after watching it, she said she has to watch it again.
    Thanks for the link, I'll definitely watch it. It sounds exactly like what I said earlier; accepted in earlier times but after colonization not so much. Looks to be riveting and a must see, thanks again.

Living Dead Girl Schatten Lupus's Avatar
    In many tribes yes. They held special positions in society, filled in for both male and female positions, and it was considered good luck to be married to one.
    Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein

Good point but being "two-spirited "is really the least of it. We are actually multidimensional beings having a physical experience. In that respect being CD or TG is merely the tip of the iceberg.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I have Native American ancestors. Lenape-Mohican, I seem to have taken after the Mohican side. I definitely have the hair. I used to have some regalia but it was stolen along with many other costumes by ignorant people.

Many times I dont have the time for Cding make up. But I do have the time to cross over the native culture bridge and paint my face with standard ladies make up in war paint themes.

Sometimes my best make up jobs turn out this way anyhow. All smeared looking.. But I still love it. When I have old make up. I just go crazy with colors and streaks all over my body. Its alot of fun as we are all many different colors.. Like the Rainbow.

There was an old lady, from the Cree tribe, named Eyes of Fire, who prophesied that one day, because of the white mans' or Yo-ne-gis' greed, there would come a time, when the fish would die in the streams, the birds would fall from the air, the waters would be blackened, and the trees would no longer be, mankind as we would know it, would all but cease to exist.

There would come a time when the "keepers of the legend, stories, culture rituals, and myths, and all the Ancient Tribal Customs" would be needed to restore us to health. They would be mankinds' key to survival, they were the "Warriors of the Rainbow".

There would come a day of awakening when all the peoples of all the tribes would form a New World of Justice, Peace, Freedom and recognition of the Great Spirit. The "Warriors of the Rainbow" would spread these messages and teach all peoples of the Earth or "Elohi". They would teach them how to live the "Way of the Great Spirit".

They would tell them of how the world today has turned away from the Great Spirit and that is why our Earth is "Sick". The "Warriors of the Rainbow" would show the peoples that this "Ancient Being" (the Great Spirit), is full of love and understanding, and teach them how to make the Earth or "Elohi" beautiful again.

These Warriors would give the people principles or rules to follow to make their path right with the world. These principles would be those of the Ancient Tribes. The Warriors of the Rainbow would teach the people of the ancient practices of Unity, Love and Understanding. They would teach of Harmony among people in all four corners of the Earth.

Like the Ancient Tribes, they would teach the people how to pray to the Great Spirit with love that flows like the beautiful mountain stream, and flows along the path to the ocean of life. Once again, they would be able to feel joy in solitude and in councils. They would be free of petty jealousies and love all mankind as their brothers, regardless of color, race or religion. They would feel happiness enter their hearts, and become as one with the entire human race. Their hearts would be pure and radiate warmth, understanding and respect for all mankind, Nature, and the Great Spirit.

They would once again fill their minds, hearts, souls, and deeds with the purest of thoughts. They would seek the beauty of the Master of Life -- the Great Spirit! They would find strength and beauty in prayer and the solitudes of life. Their children would once again be able to run free and enjoy the treasures of Nature and Mother Earth.

Free from the fears of toxins and destruction, wrought by the Yo-ne-gi and his practices of greed. The rivers would again run clear, the forests be abundant and beautiful, the animals and birds would be replenished. The powers of the plants and animals would again be respected and conservation of all that is beautiful would become a way of life.

The poor, sick and needy would be cared for by their brothers and sisters of the Earth. These practices would again become a part of their daily lives. The leaders of the people would be chosen in the old way -- not by their political party, or who could speak the loudest, boast the most, or by name calling or mud slinging, but by those whose actions spoke the loudest. Those who demonstrated their love, wisdom, and courage and those who showed that they could and did work for the good of all, would be chosen as the leaders or Chiefs.

They would be chosen by their "quality" and not the amount of money they had obtained. Like the thoughtful and devoted "Ancient Chiefs", they would understand the people with love, and see that their young were educated with the love and wisdom of their surroundings.

They would show them that miracles can be accomplished to heal this world of its ills, and restore it to health and beauty. The tasks of these "Warriors of the Rainbow" are many and great.

There will be terrifying mountains of ignorance to conquer and they shall find prejudice and hatred. They must be dedicated, unwavering in their strength, and strong of heart. They will find willing hearts and minds that will follow them on this road of returning "Mother Earth" to beauty and plenty -- once more.

The day will come, it is not far away. The day that we shall see how we owe our very existence to the people of all tribes that have maintained their culture and heritage. Those that have kept the rituals, stories, legends, and myths alive. It will be with this knowledge, the knowledge that they have preserved, that we shall once again return to "harmony" with Nature, Mother Earth, and mankind.

It will be with this knowledge that we shall find our "Key to our Survival".

Eyes alight with glowing hair
    all that fancy paints as fair
    she takes her fan and throws it
    in the lion's den..

Quote Originally Posted by lynn_lynn View Post
    Many times I dont have the time for Cding make up. But I do have the time to cross over the native culture bridge and paint my face with standard ladies make up in war paint themes.

Sometimes my best make up jobs turn out this way anyhow. All smeared looking.. But I still love it. When I have old make up. I just go crazy with colors and streaks all over my body. Its alot of fun as we are all many different colors.. Like the Rainbow.
    This made me laugh. Thank you for the link, Adrienne! This is really interesting.

I too have heard of this. It is pretty neat to read of too. People like us were actually highly regarded opposed to denigrated. How nice.
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

Banned Read only
    You may find this article of some interest

http://www.authorsden.com/categories...id=62&id=46603

Thanks for the added insight Schatten and Lynn. Another good link Jorja, it seems a lot of native cultures embrace us, or once did. Yes Pythos, how nice it'd be to be highly regarded...

Living Dead Girl Schatten Lupus's Avatar
    Honestly, the first time I heard of two-spirits, it was on a trans-related website, and I wasn't sure how accurate it was. And then I heard it from someone who is actually Native American. Can't get much more credible than that I don't think.
    Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein

*Kisses and Best Wishes* Wendy_Marie's Avatar
    Being that I have Cherokee Blood coursing in my veins..A fact I learned as a small child and practiced often growing up with members of the Cherokee nation visiting my home from time to time...
    This Two Spirited reference always intrigued me...I even once while still in my teens told one of my family friends who was raised on a Res in Oklahoma about my then unknown to me TG traits and he became very excited about it....I have a Cherokee name and my Great, Great, Great Grandmother walked the trail of tears from Northern Georgia to Oklahoma where she met and Married my Great, Great, Great Grandfather Enoch...and so my family name is listed on the Blood Scrolls.

I have researched this some in the past...and after seeing this post...I am rekindled to search for more information.
    [SIZE="3"]"I can't talk girl talk when there is a guy inside my head." Gracie Lou Freebush[/SIZE]
    Is this all that's left of my life before me. Straight Jacket Memories and Seditive Highs! No Happy Ending like they always Promised...There's got to be something left for me... And I Turn my Head and Stare into the Eyes of a Stranger.
    To those of you who consider yourselves to be "Cat People" I apologize in advance for I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythos View Post
    I too have heard of this. It is pretty neat to read of too. People like us were actually highly regarded opposed to denigrated. How nice.
    That in itself may be one of the greatest myths. In most tribes, they just "were". Some may have been shamans or healers but that would not be any more than others in the tribe. While many here may believe that
    two-spirited" persons were idolized and worshiped, it may not have been the case. In some tribes it would have been just like in the white man's world, either ignored or actually shunned. It also varies with the tribes function. Just like in current times parents would have tried to push the gender orientation to the more "manly" endeavors (or vice-versa in females) but if a two-spirited person was an adult they did not interfere. Others determined it by trials.

Survival was the goal of the tribe or family. A productive person would have been "accepted" no matter the role. Also understand that some tribes were matriarchal and a two-spirit there would whole a different role while others were patriarchal. Gatherer tribes the roles would be more blended over the hunter tribes. As many as 1/3 of the tribes may not have accepted TG's or homosexuality. It is less so with FtM (more females who took on male activities such as hunting and war) or lesbians although this may have more to do with who writes the story and how "out" these people were.

Using the words "two-spirited" may really mean different things too. It has been used to describe homosexuals as often as transgenders. The word Beardache (or berdache) may have come from a word the French used that was more akin to gigolo or male prostitute. Since most tribes did not really have a word for sexuality, gender became the catch-all

The main thing here is to not read more than is true into what you have heard. The people who write these accounts often come from a society that has a different perspective. Many of the tribes were long gone before anyone tried to write their history.

Most the words also were gender specific with more describing a MtF role over the FtM. There were in fact usually different words for these. My ancestors the Blackfoot had a word for FtM but I cannot find a MtF word. So I will take the Sioux Wintke
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Yes, I knew of this. I'm part Apachi.I have a chife and a medicine man in my linage. My name "Wynonna" is taken from the Native Am.... I means fist born daughter.

Ive heard of the dual-spirited indians and never really looked much into it. Im Apache indian as well, and my grandmother is like hard core hard core indian and she says some crazy things now and again, but i remember her waking me up every so often late at night staring at me smiling and saying your the one, your very special etc.. and i wa like okay grams go to bed trying to end the awkwardness. But then again that was around the time i started crossdressing (or as far back as i can remember doing it) She was actually the first perswon to allow me to dress up now that i think about it. But ne ways yeah thats some interesting stuff and i think ill have to look more into it. GReat Post and links Adrienne
    [SIZE="3"]"The Girl with no name now has a name,... Farrah Rose " [/SIZE]

My pleasure Farrah It's great to hear people w/ heritage taking part in this thread.

I hear you Lori, I appreciate your perspective on this. I think that history in general can sometimes be glamorized or misinterpreted. However, there's no question that TG people were addressed in most native cultures. It's not to say everyone accepted them and held them in high esteem, but there seems to have been more acceptance than European's current one.

Good Luck !!

Quote Originally Posted by Schatten Lupus View Post
    In many tribes yes. They held special positions in society, filled in for both male and female positions, and it was considered good luck to be married to one.
    I wished more GGs knew this