Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is that???

Is that???

So I was looking at the Boy Vs Girl mode section the other day and it never ceases to amaze me just how different members look when comparing boy against girl.

That made me think of just how many posts there are from those hovering on the brink of going out concerned about being recognised when out as their femme self. Does looking at that section give any comfort for the first timer or are the demon voices still so strong that they overwhelm and still leave folks frightened that fingers will be pointed as they?re instantly recognised by even the most casual acquaintance?

I?ve written before about being at a social group, it was towards the end of the evening and I glanced at the changing room as two males appeared and I was instantly left thinking where the hell did those two come from. It took a couple of moments before I realised I?d been sitting chatting to both of them but as their femme personas, now changed to head off home.

I also wondered if a group of strangers were allowed to view one of us in femme mode, then to have us disappear, revert to male mode and to then be part of an identification parade with eleven other males, would we be picked out with any consistency?

I?ve come to the conclusion over time that even if we have only modest makeup skills and a half decent wig, we are sufficiently altered to make us difficult to spot, especially if in a busy place, by those who know us only in our male mode.

Trouble is, I don?t know if I?ve the courage to test out my theory. Any volunteers?
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Hey there Helen. I used to frequent a bar en femme when I was traveling for work. One night the bar was basically empty and I ended up talking tech shop with a guy next to me for a good while. One day I went to the same bar in male mode and he came over and said hi. Then says - I thought that was you. He picked me out, but had to think about it at least a little and we had been face to face for a long time when I was dressed up. So I think you are right about being difficult to recognize at least at a distance.

Sandi

Platinum Member
    I recently retired. This week, I learned that some of my former work associates were circulating pictures of me en femme to others in the organization. A few people contacted me to let me know this was going on. Each reacted with some skepticism that the person in the pictures was me.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    I recently retired. This week, I learned that some of my former work associates were circulating pictures of me en femme to others in the organization. A few people contacted me to let me know this was going on. Each reacted with some skepticism that the person in the pictures was me.
    More than one point made in this post, Kim.

I had the same thing happen when I first joined my old support group.
    Sitting in the meeting room I watched a few men come in and head to the dressing room. Some time later they reappeared and were then introduced to me since I was new. Of course they were introduced by their femme names and I'll be darned if I could relate who was who other than by height. Later seeing them back in male mode it was still a challenge to put two and two together.
    A nice wig, an application of makeup and a change of clothes and it's difficult for most to see someone they know under all that.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Figured that out years ago at my group too.
    I learned when I first went out people weren't looking much past the clothes so when they saw womens clothes they assumed the person wearing them was a woman.
    I was shoe shopping one day and my daughter and her husband were walking up the same aisle so I just kept on trying the pair of shoes on and they walked right past me.
    I put the shoes back and walked up the next aisle her husband was walking right towards me 4 feet away I just kept walking and never looked back.
    That was 2008 and neither my daughter or son in law have ever mentioned seeing me in girl mode.
    They are the accepting type with gay and trans friends so they would have said something I assure you.
    So my take is if you are dressed with make up and a wig and are dressed to blend even your best friend wouldn't recognize you.
    My ex wife said when she saw a pic of me I don't see a guy at all and it doesn't look like you just another woman.

So from my experience if you are worried about people you know seeing you don't be because they aren't looking for you wearing womens clothes so if they do see a glimpse of you the clothes will automatically trigger well that can't be (insert your name here) because its a woman.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 02-08-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Banned Read only
    Helen,
    I could never do the boy Vs girl mode on the forum , very few people know me in male mode , I much prefer it that way .

The first shock I had some twenty years ago was when I'd made a reasonable job of my makeup and slipped a wig on the man had disappeared , if I felt like that then to other people they might well struggle to recognise me .

I'm in that odd situation at the moment , half my painting group who have known me for some years now know me in both modes the other half have only met me as Terri but it hasn't proved to be a problem only one lady wondered why I wore a wig and didn't use my own hair , she soon understood why it would never work . No one has ever told me which they prefer or suggested I should go back to male mode , I take that fact as a sign they are comfortable with me , I'm not sure exactly what I expected but I do consider myself very lucky to have so many supportive friends .
    Last edited by Teresa; 02-08-2020 at 11:06 AM.

Banned Read only
    So far I have ran into two people I know "in the wild" and both of them recognized me.

Not to mention the staff at breweries, restaurants, bars, etc that I went to in male mode before coming out recognize me from before when I go there en-femme.

The real solution here is to just be prepared to own it, then you don't have to worry about it.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 02-08-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Banned Read only
    Roberta,
    Were you alone or with your wife ?

A while ago I related a story of meeting not one but two GGs who I had photographed their weddings , the first one now runs a tyre company and I needed a new tyre , I really had to spell it out to her before the penny dropped and then within a few minutes I met the second one at my Art Centre again I had to spell it out to her before she made the connection . More recently a lady who I knew years ago in our local Chamber Of Trade group joined the art group , she didn't connect until I reminded her who my brother in law was , as she knew him well .

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Roberta,
    Were you alone or with your wife ?
    One time with my wife and one without...

Maybe if you wear a long wig of a totally different hair color than your male hair you would have a greater chance of slipping by someone you know. But I don't wear a wig, the only thing different I do is part my hair on the side.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 02-08-2020 at 12:20 PM.

It depends on the individual. I’ve met several people in both modes that didn’t recognize me from the other. I’ve also seen girls that are very clockable.

It also depends on the observer. Some people will be better at picking that sort of thing out than others.

A few Halloweens ago I went to a party dressed to what I thought I pretty much looked like my male self. A few weeks later a family member was describing to me what a great party it was and that I should have attended, I told him I was there and when I described what I was wearing he didn't believe me. He called and asked my wife if we were there and how I was dressed. I thought I didnt look that different I guess I was wrong.

Helen,

I recently started a thread " How easy are you to recognize when dressing" that got 88 replies. I have been within five feet of a longtime former employee and his wife who all know me, face to face and they didn't recognize me. I've walked past other employees at car shows and they haven't shone any signs of knowing who I am. If you are not with someone they would associate you with (spouse or friend), or in a highly recognizable vehicle, or in a location they associate you with, your transformation will fool most people.

Roberta basically isn't transforming her appearance with makeup, wig, etc.. If I only parted my hair in a different way I would expect to be recognized.

Suzi Q

I'm new to this site and I must say I've been encouraged by your comments. Although I've been crossdressing on and off for 60 years I've only dressed in fem from the neck down in the closet. Lately I've become very interested in dressing completely and am in a unique situation. I'm by myself for the next month or so (my wife, who has no idea I CD, nor would she approve). She does not like to travel anymore and would rather stay home with the grandkids. I'd love to go out and fully present as Fran. I'm terrified but you ladies comments have given me more courage. I have purchased several wigs on line.... one I like the other not!
    The real challenge is make up. I had no idea all that is involved ( and still don't) and the skill necessary to make a good presentation. Other than some u-Tube videos and as you can see from my location I'm not in a city ( Denver is the closet @ 80 miles away) Not sure how to master that skill other than practice.
    The comments here have been very encouraging.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I've had it happen when people who only know one version of me, either male or female, have seen me presenting opposite of how they had come to know me. But both of those have been with or without a wig that's very different from my natural hair color. Now that I'm wearing my own hair more often when I'm out en femme I think it's more likely I'd be recognized.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Where is the Boy Vs Girl mode section?

Fran, really the ONLY way to master makeup is to practice practice practice. Youtube tutorials are actually a really good resource. But just watching won’t make you an expert.

My advice is to practice your makeup on a day when you DONT plan to go out. If you have plans, then you’re just adding extra pressure to yourself to “get it right”. Set aside a day when you can spend several hours sitting in front of a mirror doing your makeup, wiping it all off, then starting all over again. If you feel like you’re absolutely lost and have no idea where to even start, drop me a line. I’ve written extensive “basic makeup” guides for girls here in emails in the past and I’d be happy to dig one out and copy paste it for you. Keep in mind there are about as many techniques and styles out there as there are people putting in makeup, if someone tells you how to do something, try it their way, then feel free to tweak it and make it work for your specific features.

DEnver has I have been told, a great Make up studio, I am sure others here can chime in and give more details. I lived there 35 yrs ago and it had a pretty good cross dressing group and an active bunch of folks. Get out have fun YOLO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Charles View Post
    I've had it happen when people who only know one version of me, either male or female, have seen me presenting opposite of how they had come to know me. But both of those have been with or without a wig that's very different from my natural hair color. Now that I'm wearing my own hair more often when I'm out en femme I think it's more likely I'd be recognized.
    I think a lot of people don’t appreciate how transformative a wig can be. It can alter your face shape, complexion and coloring, etc. It really does make a HUGE difference.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vplshowoff View Post
    Where is the Boy Vs Girl mode section?
    It's in the Picture and Video Gallery as a sticky at the top of the heading.

Helen, I'm not sure about volunteering, but I have been in three situations when dressed where I have been very close to friends or acquaintances. First time I was going to the chemists attached to my local surgery and a neighbour couple walked by within a few feet, no reaction. Second time in a nearby town again just a few feet away, some long time friends, no recognition. Most recently same town in the supermarket and I came face to face with an old acquaintance, if he did recognise me he didn't say even when we sat together at a club meeting some days later.
    I think that you are right about the wig. My natural hair is cut shortish, and is brown in colour, whilst my wig is not quite shoulder length and silver grey in colour.

Aspiring Member
    Long ago, I found that merely removing my glasses makes me unrecognizable to more than half of my friends and family.

It astonished me how little it takes to become unrecognizable. I have walked right by several close friends in various venues while en femme and they never gave any hint of recognition. On several occasions each.

I go often to garage sales and have seen several people who know me but I remained unrecognized. I have even gone to a garage sale en femme, bought something, and then returned in drab with my truck to haul it away. No one gave any hint at all that they recognized me. A garage sale is a twofold challenge: look different enough that no one recognizes me and dress enough like the GGs my age that no one reads me, perhaps leading to recognition. Never had a problem.

I do wonder, though: Would my car give me away when en femme?

I NEVER go bare-legged! Kimberly A.'s Avatar
    Well, Helen..... As for me and as I'm sure everyone has figured out, I've overcome my demons about going out dressed. I mean, it is just SO fun and exhilarating for me that I HATE having to put Kimberly away for two weeks straight.

As a line in one of my favorite songs says: "I'm entitled to overcome"..... I think we all are. LOL
    My YouTube channel: Kimberly A.

A wig does makes a big difference in our
    appearance.

I also wear some non prescription glasses
    I've bought from Amazon.

I think that makes me look more feminine and
    less recognizable.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Renea View Post
    A wig does makes a big difference in our
    appearance.

I also wear some non prescription glasses
    I've bought from Amazon.

I think that makes me look more feminine and
    less recognizable.
    I?m actually the opposite of you. I wear glasses normally in my day to day life but while dress I don?t wear any. I think I?m way cuter without glasses and if you ever saw anyone that always wears glasses without them then they look completely differently! Like they are missing a part of their face.