Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble finding heeled sandals that are comfortable.

Trouble finding heeled sandals that are comfortable.

I’ve bought two pairs of heeled sandals because I like the way they look. However I’ve not had good luck with the comfort of them. I can’t wear either pair for more than an hour and my toes just start to hurt something awful.

One pair is 14th & Union brand that I got from Nordstrom Rack, the other is Avenue brand that I bought off ebay. Both are 13W.
    Does anyone have any suggestions, comments or am I the only one who has had this problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting. Is it your toes themselves or more the ball of your foot? Do you have problems with other heels? Close toed shoes?

It's the toes. I have other heels that I can wear without a problem. I have a pair of 4" pumps, and two pairs of ankle boots with 2" heels that are not a problem.

try Aerosoles they are very comfortable.

That's funny, I was going to post about some exquisitely comfy sandals I bought this weekend at the Saks outlet. They are "Penelope" by Kate Spade. The only problem is that I don't know if they go up to a size 13.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Well, of course we all know that not all shoes are the size they say they are. But since you got these from two different places, I'd look at the commonalities. They both have a design that puts straps just over your metatarsal -- how do those straps fit? Part of their job is to keep your foot from sliding forward, but maybe they're doing too good a job. Do they leave a major indent after you've worn them for that hour? It could be the toe pain is a reaction to surface constriction further back on the foot. If you knock the back of your heel against something to move the shoe further forward on your foot when it starts hurting, does that relieve the problem any?
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat (aka Jennie) View Post
    Well, of course we all know that not all shoes are the size they say they are. But since you got these from two different places, I'd look at the commonalities. They both have a design that puts straps just over your metatarsal -- how do those straps fit? Part of their job is to keep your foot from sliding forward, but maybe they're doing too good a job. Do they leave a major indent after you've worn them for that hour? It could be the toe pain is a reaction to surface constriction further back on the foot. If you knock the back of your heel against something to move the shoe further forward on your foot when it starts hurting, does that relieve the problem any?
    Yes when I knock the back of my heel to move the shoe forward that does relieve the problem, but only temporarily. And yes the straps do leave major indents.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    That's funny, I was going to post about some exquisitely comfy sandals I bought this weekend at the Saks outlet. They are "Penelope" by Kate Spade. The only problem is that I don't know if they go up to a size 13.
    Kate Spade doesn't make size 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Paige Dehart View Post
    try Aerosoles they are very comfortable.
    Aerosoles doesn't make size 13 either.

Thanks to everyone. Any one else wear size 13 wide heeled sandals that are comfortable?

Just keep trying on more shoes until you find a pair that's comfortable. It's one of the general problems with women's high heeled shoes; they aren't designed for comfort. Ask any podiatrist what they think of heels (other than they can get rich doing surgery on middle aged women's feet due to all the wrong shaped shoes they have worn throughout their lives!).
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

The problem with that is there is only one place within 20 miles of me that actually carries 13 wide, and that is Nordstrom Rack. I have been there probably 15 times and only twice was I able to find something I liked that actually fit. Granted, I'll keep trying. Just thought that maybe someone might say something that I haven't thought of yet.

Have you tried a 2 inch or 3 inch heel, that changes the pressure of the shoe bindings. There are numerous online sites that offer free returns in any size. Guess you can't use online shoping, in which case find an avenue store, NR is too iffy for large sizes. Do you really need a 13w? Some makers 12 or 12w may work and some 14's are way off and too narrow for male feet. Also narrow your search down to comfort shoes, they add extra cushioning. Also slingback designs often will offer a different feel on the foot. Worst case, go with a wedge. they are harder to find, but difficult to match comfort
    All my dreams pass before my eyes with curiosity

How did that happen ? Samantha2015's Avatar
    maybe try ball of foot pads to keep your feet from sliding forward in the shoe, also good for extra cushion.
    Hugs
    Samantha

For me I can't wear any thing that put pressure around my ankles without haveing pain throughout my foot. Might be along those lines for you with the straps. Side note took me weeks to figure out why in Las then a few hours work boots were killing my feet.

I love my Clark's heeled sandals they do 12w not sure about 13w

I love my wedge heeled sandals.. 3" and they look cool. The trouble with buying shoes is that we should try them and walk around before we buy... as not all shoes suit our feet and walking gate. My wife never felt comfortable in heels. I love wearing them. My current partner loves 'Fitflops'. Life is a journey and sometimes you have to discover on your own. What works for me may not work for you. But try wedges!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

I have had the same issue, but finally (after many tries) found a pair that are truly comfortable, but good looking as well. I love wearing these around the house doing chores. These are made by 9-West and are "caserta platform sandals." Good luck in your search!
    img-thing.jpg

Those sandals are designed to be worn barefoot. If you are wearing them with hose, that is the cause of the problem. If you are wearing them with hose, try them barefoot.

jodi

Try Torrid shoes they have large sizes and come with a wide width. I have several pair and love them. I am a size 13 w also. Marshalynn

Banned Read only
    Alana,
    You could say welcome to the Cders World, many shoes look lovely but can't be worn for long periods. Many women can't wear peep toe shoes. In my case the straps would fall across my arthritic joints in my big toes, despite that I would still go out in them. My steel capped work boots hurt me as much and I know which I'd sooner be seen wearing .

Teresa,
    Are you saying you would prefer your work boots? Lol

The straps on sandals are made to fit the contours of the female foot which is generally not as wide proportionally as a man's. That is why in many cases the strap the goes over the pinky toe is too tight. Unfortunately this usually doesn't happen right away. Shoes that start out feeling great turn into torture devices as things stretch and the foot creeps forward. The good news is that the "last" that shoemakers use is not the same from brand to brand. I've purchased some Franco Sartos that fit my anatomy perfectly, and some stretchy strap sandals from Target that work also. As others have said, you almost have to just try different brands to see and buy everything you can find. You also might try the sticky pads that go into the ball area to keep your foot from moving forward as much.

Keep in mind too that even though you are a 13 wide, the shoes may not be. Every manufacurer sizes differently. I wear anywhere from a 7 to a 9 1/2. The shoes may just be a half size too small.

One other thing to try: They make shoe stretchers specifically for high heels, and the toe area can be adjusted with small spacers in a specific area. I've used it on several pair that seem to fit fine except for one little place.

Banned Read only
    Bobbi,
    I've never come across steel toe capped heels, that would make an interesting combination ! No I hate my work boots, but sometimes I don't have a choice .

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa85 View Post
    Have you tried a 2 inch or 3 inch heel, that changes the pressure of the shoe bindings. There are numerous online sites that offer free returns in any size. Guess you can't use online shoping, in which case find an avenue store, NR is too iffy for large sizes. Do you really need a 13w? Some makers 12 or 12w may work and some 14's are way off and too narrow for male feet. Also narrow your search down to comfort shoes, they add extra cushioning. Also slingback designs often will offer a different feel on the foot. Worst case, go with a wedge. they are harder to find, but difficult to match comfort
    Both of those that I have are 3" heels. I've not tried a 2". If I find some that I like I'll try them out. Thanks for the ideas. I can do online shopping but don't like to have to pay shipping to return items I can't wear. I'll look for those that offer free returns. As far as an Avenue store is concerned, the closest one to me is over 60 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by bridget thronton View Post
    I love my Clark's heeled sandals they do 12w not sure about 13w
    Nope, no 13's.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    I love my wedge heeled sandals.. 3" and they look cool. The trouble with buying shoes is that we should try them and walk around before we buy... as not all shoes suit our feet and walking gate. My wife never felt comfortable in heels. I love wearing them. My current partner loves 'Fitflops'. Life is a journey and sometimes you have to discover on your own. What works for me may not work for you. But try wedges!
    Wedges are on my to try list.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaAnne View Post
    I have had the same issue, but finally (after many tries) found a pair that are truly comfortable, but good looking as well. I love wearing these around the house doing chores. These are made by 9-West and are "caserta platform sandals." Good luck in your search!
    Nine West also doesn't make 13's

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    Those sandals are designed to be worn barefoot. If you are wearing them with hose, that is the cause of the problem. If you are wearing them with hose, try them barefoot.
    jodi
    Yes I do wear them barefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalynn View Post
    Try Torrid shoes they have large sizes and come with a wide width. I have several pair and love them. I am a size 13 w also. Marshalynn
    Torrid does have some 13 wide sandals. Sadly they don't offer free shipping returns. So they would be a gamble. But I'll keep them in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaBMarie View Post
    The straps on sandals are made to fit the contours of the female foot which is generally not as wide proportionally as a man's. That is why in many cases the strap the goes over the pinky toe is too tight. Unfortunately this usually doesn't happen right away. Shoes that start out feeling great turn into torture devices as things stretch and the foot creeps forward. The good news is that the "last" that shoemakers use is not the same from brand to brand. I've purchased some Franco Sartos that fit my anatomy perfectly, and some stretchy strap sandals from Target that work also. As others have said, you almost have to just try different brands to see and buy everything you can find. You also might try the sticky pads that go into the ball area to keep your foot from moving forward as much.
    Good ideas, thanks. Your comment about the straps over the pinky toes being too tight reminded me of a shoe stretcher that I have in the back of my closet somewhere. I'll dig it out and try it on these sandals I already have. And Franco Sartos does make some shoes in 13, but not wide.

Silver Member
    I have also bought shoes because I liked the way they looked and have regretted buying them. Yours have somewhat high heels. That alone can cause downward pressure that could hurt your toes. Try lower heels, and see if that helps>