Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double-Busted

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.

Double-Busted

Well, I may be out to a few more people at work.

While browsing this site (Yes. I know. At work. Dumb) a few guys came into my office to get a couple of questions answered. This is pretty normal. My son was hanging out with me at work one day and said, "Geez! Your office is like Grand Central Station!" What can I say? It's either my sparkling personality or I have the answers to people's questions (most likely the latter).

Normally when this happens I either hide my browser window or do a command-key sequence to slip another window on top of it. This time, I must not have. I didn't notice anything odd - I had an electrical engineer sitting on my desk in front of my monitor and a mechanical engineer nearby. They got their answers and left. A technical writer soon came in asking questions about an upcoming hardware project. We chatted for awhile and I happened to turn to my monitor. What did I see? My pretty face smiling at me from the screen (I had just responded to a post). I quickly covered it with another window and our chat continued.

He was playing with my iPad, and I didn't give it a second thought - that is, until he said, "Oops" and looked at me quizzically. I raised my eyebrows and he turned the iPad towards me. Wanna guess what was on the screen? The front page of deal old Crossdressers.com! Yikes!

I cocked my head quizzically and said, "Hmm." I didn't say anything, and he went to a new page to show me the new pictures on his Flickr album. Nothing further was said. We crossed paths 3-4 times more that day, either in my office or in is cubicle. It didn't seem weird, but we'll see.

Life is funny, isn't it?

Kathi

Quote Originally Posted by Kathi Lake View Post

While browsing this site (Yes. I know. At work. Dumb)
    You're a nerd! You of all people should know how risky that is...even the methods that I know that can be used to bypass monitoring might not work if there's hardware monitoring installed.

We chatted for awhile and I happened to turn to my monitor. What did I see? My pretty face smiling at me from the screen (I had just responded to a post). I quickly covered it with another window and our chat continued.

He was playing with my iPad, and I didn't give it a second thought - that is, until he said, "Oops" and looked at me quizzically. I raised my eyebrows and he turned the iPad towards me. Wanna guess what was on the screen? The front page of deal old Crossdressers.com! Yikes!
    Yikes! Though it might be even worse if he found your Kathi pictures on it.

No browsing the site at work! Unless, of course, you reboot your PC with a Live Linux distro and then use X11 Forwarding over SSH to your Linux box at home. That'll stop any software monitoring they have installed on windows and any monitoring at the network end, though they can still tell you're SSH'd to an outside address.

Course, it won't stop a hardware keylogger, and any sysadmin worth his neckbeard and suspenders will have disabled CD/DVD/USB booting.

Veronica Rogers
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

YOur pretty well out when your out and about...and I know work is a whole different issue, but you seem to be able to handle it pretty good and you and I know that people don't seem to bothered by it as much as we (as well as others who CD) have perceived it would be beforewe go out to people...example is if we go for a makeover...we tend to perceive all kinds of embarressment before we do, it only to find it it was a non-event...oh there may be whispers, and some looks but I know your really cool with your dressing from previosu posts and threads so you'll do OK with this new "revelation"...LOL
    Discovering the female self aka "Bitch with an Attitude"

O.O

Oops..Well,he didnt freak out which is a good thing I guess.We try to be careful but things happen...Like today at work when I was showing a guy whos also a childhood friend my new camera..Why does he have a funny look?..Oh..My nails are long and shiny...Well,he thought I was strange before anyway.Didnt stop him from talking to me though
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kathi,

You are so "out and about" and a kind of role model for many of us...

I think this is your next phase of out?

Yeah I know we all make mistakes, but.... some mistakes we make are for a reason?

Love all your postings... I wish! So are you in the next stage? rhetorical... no need for a direct answer!

Kaz xx

Hold on, you have an iPad?, cool!

I have a friend who, like me, is very computer literate and one night he was at my house and asked me to check a web site to show me something. I typed in www. and in Internet Explorer it auto-completed with www.crossdressers.com in the address bar.

Nothing was or has been said but I do wonder, was I caught? He must have seen it but maybe he didn't realise what it was. Maybe a website selling CROSSbow hunting dress/clothing?
    If I hear anything remotely that relates to Crossdressing my ears prick up, but I do wonder if others aren't in tune so much as us and that they simply don't pick up on these things.

. . . Life is funny, isn't it?. . .
    Well that's ONE way to look at it.

Life is funny--sort of. Well, once the ice is broken, it is hard to re-freeze; once the bell is rung, it can't be unrung.
    I've had a few of those mistake--not in my office--but with mail sent to my fem address and name ("Oh, who is that? It must be someone who used to live at this address. Mmmm?")
    Your situation is a reminder to me to be extra cautious at work.
    warmly, Linnea

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Its Good that you were Cool,calm and collected about the whole Situation,A less Confidant Person could have handled it all wrong.
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Gold Member
    This wasn't like at your Army job was it?

Girl you really do need to be more careful with these things, I mean if it was in your army office, It can't lead to much good.

I don't know how the army is these days, I got out in 96 (general discharge) and was not CD'ing at the time.
    I remember there were a few of us frequenting a gay club and a few of the NCO's knew about it but didn't say a whole lot, mostly a mild joke here and there.

Yeah I would not risk anything, I am thinking you are almost eligible to retire from the Army?
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Kathy, When I saw the title of your post--"Double Busted", I expected a post about a girl with two pair of breasts.

Jodi

Truth, Love, Freedom Angiemead12's Avatar
    They monitor all websites we log in at the office so no browsing there! I do browse via iPhone alot over the cell network though.

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    Well that's ONE way to look at it.
    Kim, for an eternal optimist like me, it's the only way to look at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    This wasn't like at your Army job was it?
    Nope. I was only Active for 4 1/2 years. The last 25 have been in the Reserves. Translation: They don't own me anymore, they just rent me for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    Kathy, When I saw the title of your post--"Double Busted", I expected a post about a girl with two pair of breasts.
    Ha!! I totally didn't think of that. Wow, I need to get my mind back in the gutter more.

Kathi

Junior Member ErikaLadyoftheDesert's Avatar
    Kathy: In your avatar you look amazingly hot and confident, roll with this, be you and embrace your originality. Yesterday I was at a conference with about 75 of my peers, I was wearing my very feminine earrings and still had a bit of mascare on, although I was dressed in drab, I was softing it up as much as possible, of course I was wearing panties also. I wish I was bold enough to walk into my place of work totally as Erika, it is a dream. Someday.

You already have a "mom" and it appears you have plenty of "drill sergeants" around, so giving you "advice" is the last thing you need, lol.

You are obviously an astute and skilled person that has a solid background in the perils of computer data sharing. It suggests to me that you have some conscious or unconscious agenda of slowing revealing yourself by gradually leaving more and more doors "open" that you know should be locked to protect your privacy.

Sounds like you are sliding into the space you really want to occupy, with little baby steps. Good luck, it is a forest full of mine fields at the place we work. But hey, what's new. Many times, the best you can expect, is to make em' stab you in the front instead of the back, right? lol

Good Luck

HaveFun/BeHappy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Geez, what a misleading title, I came in expecting.... well nevermind

Getting too complacent is the easiest way to get busted but hey, nothing bad has happened and hopefully nothing bad will so look on the bright side, you are that much closer to being able to dress at work lol.

Sorry to hijack your thread Kathi but how do you like your iPad? I can PM if you want.

Anyways, you are brave for posting on this site at work. That is something I could not do, at least not yet, I'm still working on the coming out part. I'm sure your co-workers have seen stuff like that before and really don't think much about it.
    Merry

HRT since 2009

Oh Kathi . . .

Wasn't it just last week or so when I started a thread in which I asked, "Does your femme self come up with sneaky little ways to toss 'him' out? Perhaps by showing up at inconvenient times? Or maybe by engaging in feminine mannerisms when 'he's' trying to be 'all guy?'" and someone with a name a lot like yours replied, "I don't think I really have a male or a female side. I just have me. She integrates with me and I integrate with her. There is no he. There is no she. There is no we. There is only me."?

Ummm, and just a little bit before that I remember starting another thread in which I asked, "Have you ever noticed that being a crossdresser can sometimes make for some strange days?"

And once again there was a woman with a name a lot like yours who responded with some very powerful advice, "That's kind of where I was going. People know. I guarantee it. It's not just the acrylics. It's not just the long hair. It's not the clothes and the body that is obviously feminine (unless they make guys 4-inch wedges - which would be very cool). What it is is the reason why you are accepted wherever you go, however you present yourself. You accept yourself. Barbara, you are one of the most gender-fluid people I know. You seem to have the ability to "shape shift" as you call it by adding or removing articles of clothing/makeup in order to fit into a category that you have created. I will step outside the boundaries of what I usually do and give advice. All I have to ask is this; are those boundaries totally necessary?"

And she continued, "As I said, the people around you - the people you know in various 'spheres' - already know Barbara, just as much as they know your male persona."

Well, I have to tell you, Kathi, your advice to me made me stronger. I'm still not out to the whole world, and I have no plans to completely change that, but I took your advice to heart and acted on it, going places and doing things I hadn't done before, and it was wonderful!

I'm still leading my vida loca lifestyle, but your advice has made a difference in how I feel about me.

You see where this is going, don'tcha girl?

Hugs,
    Persephone.

(P.S. - In all fairness, I am retired, and while your skill, talent, problem solving ability, and "can do" attitude obviously make you invaluable to your employer, they are always aware of your representation of the company in front of its clients).
    Last edited by Persephone; 04-25-2010 at 03:50 AM.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Kathi -- This is a situation where you are going to have to roll with the punches and just wait it out to see what happens next.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

It happens! If you get comfortable with it and aren't in full hiding mode, you get sloppy. I've lately been shopping at work, usually on my lunch break. Friday, one of the supervisors was strolling thru with another tech. He went to ask me a question and then noticed I was eating lunch. He said "Oh don't bother him, he's eating lunch......and shopping for dresses!" I'd been looking at Cache' and had a page full of dresses up on my laptop. Oh well....
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaMoonlit View Post
    You're a nerd! You of all people should know how risky that is...even the methods that I know that can be used to bypass monitoring might not work if there's hardware monitoring installed.

Yikes! Though it might be even worse if he found your Kathi pictures on it.

No browsing the site at work! Unless, of course, you reboot your PC with a Live Linux distro and then use X11 Forwarding over SSH to your Linux box at home. That'll stop any software monitoring they have installed on windows and any monitoring at the network end, though they can still tell you're SSH'd to an outside address.

Course, it won't stop a hardware keylogger, and any sysadmin worth his neckbeard and suspenders will have disabled CD/DVD/USB booting.

Veronica Rogers
    All I understood was Nerd.......

From your title I said Oh....its a short one like really short, then I said to myself naaa can't be it's a Kathi Lake post. Well my first impression was right on the money. Not sure why I knew it was but it was not the normal title you would use I guess. Weird EH. Liked the story by the way. I think your so well like there that if you came to work fully dressed up that they would all be fine with it. And I think they would all not be shocked , one or tow but I think from reading your stories that they know or suspect something by now. Good luck and have fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC].....................100% Authentic Canadian Cross-dressing Truckdriver!!!!!!!!!

(((((((((((((((((((("I LOVE BEING A CROSSDRESSER")))))))))))))))))))

Link to My 20th high school reunion http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...d.php?t=112976

If you don't like my (honesty) well TFB.

Men are just a single celled orgasm , In a petri dish held by a woman. (Gene Simmons)

In fairness Kathi, browsing anything CD related in Grand Central is a little bit silly isn't it?
    Samantha -x-

Gold Member
    Well Kathi, what I am thinking is that you have been posting about inserting more of Kathi into your regular life (make-up, etc). So how much of this are you doing at work? If it was a stealth amount to where your were thinking that it would go unnoticed, I would think that it, combined with seeing the site, would make even a dense person perk up.

It seems that you are somewhat comfortable (or maybe better worded, not concerned) with coming out to some people at work as I think back to the admin threads. So is coming out a little more what you want? Is it not what you want, so this is a little disconcerting? Or is it, Que Sera Sera and life is good?

And just to be sure, you don't have some special pink iPad, do you?

I wish for it all to go the way you want it to be!

Who is the HE? I can only assume that it is a co-worker. If that is the case, then yes you are busted.
    Michelle

Most people don't seem to add two and two. And in a professional work environment people generally will not hassle you, except maybe a small joke... If the tech writer says anything, just say...hey you were the one surfing there, not me... and the other two guys probably didn't recognize your image. The only concern I ahve with work is the logs they keep and some do-gooder might report your web surfing as inappropriate or something.
    Chickie