Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venting / Oversharing Time

Venting / Oversharing Time

Ok, so I know it's not really fair to do this when I'm a very infrequent visitor to this community, but I've just got so much frustration building up that I'm going to pop if I don't share it somewhere. Y’all are a great community, but I’m not a very sociable person, so it’s hard for me to adapt enough to any new community enough to feel like I fit in here (through no fault of anyone here), or I’d have tried to come to y’all for support before now. I’m not sure if the purpose of this is just to get it off my chest, or if I’m asking for help too.

If you're willing to hang on for the ride, brace yourselves, it's going to be a bit of a long one, and by the end, you’ll probably have learned more about me than you probably want to know.

I've covered some of this in my few previous posts, but I'll go over it all again since most of those were months ago.

First, the labels: I consider myself a straight (about a 1 on the Kinsey scale), cis-gendered, cross-dressing male. My en femme name is Jamie. My wife has met Jamie, and is outwardly totally accepting of Jamie, although I can tell Jamie makes my wife a little uncomfortable to encounter in person.

Why do I CD? As far as I've been able to determine, there are three main contributing factors (aside from just "it's fun!"):
    1. 1) Physical insecurities. I'm not a bad-looking guy, but I'll never consider myself more than "average". With the right makeup and accessories though, I can make a damn fine-looking woman. It's a self-esteem boost to be able to look in the mirror and go, "Damn, I look hot!" now and then.
    2. 2) I don't have a masculine personality or appearance. Despite being straight, I've set off gaydar from miles away since high school. While I have zero problem with these traits in other men, I have yet to overcome societal conditioning with regards to my own self-image. If I can't be a "proper" man, maybe I can be a "proper" woman sometimes? Despite these feelings I have no desire to physically complete an MtF transition, nor do I have a desire to live my every-day life as Jamie, which is my where my logic in labeling myself as a cis-gendered man comes from.
    3. 3) Insecurities caused by a nonfunctioning sexual relationship with my wife. I'll expand on this later, as it's a huge reason behind needing to make this post to vent. TL;DR version: every time we have an unsuccessful sexual encounter lately, I'm exponentially more likely to break Jamie out of her box and give her a spin in the days after.

Now to the issues...

My wife is bisexual. This is not the least bit of an issue, in fact for the most part I love it. I've known this since before we even dated, as I met my wife when she was dating my good friend and landlady at the time. The part that becomes an issue is that about a year ago my wife came out to herself and not long after to me as being a very specific kind of polyamorous. She needs to have a romantic relationship with both a man and a woman to feel complete. She assures me that I am all she could ever want in a man... but she needs things out of a relationship (physically and to an extent emotionally) that only a woman can give. It sucks to find out that however satisfied that she may be with me as a man, that I’m still inadequate to give her everything she needs.

Now I know you’re thinking... if she’s OK with Jamie, what if she could get that from Jamie instead of another woman? Yeah we tried that. Not only did it not turn her on, it actively turned her off, while at the same time turning me on massively. The dissonance between the knowledge that it was her husband and the tactile/visual sensations just totally killed her “buzz” as it were. Oops. More on that part later.

So Jamie wasn’t going to magically fulfill my wife’s need for feminine romance. Ok. Time for the wife to find a girlfriend. I can’t lie, it wasn’t an easy pill to swallow, but I’ve mostly adjusted to it by now. She has a long-distance girlfriend that she’s very close to and has visited once. I’m about 90% ok with that. What I haven’t adjusted to is the imbalance that’s been created. She’s allowed a girlfriend because I as a man cannot provide the intimate feminine relationship she needs. However, I as her straight husband, cannot have a girlfriend because at that point there’s no getting around the implication that she was inadequate to fulfill my needs. Did I mention she’s also literally a textbook borderline personality disorder? The DSM-IV-TR requires a patient meet 5 out 9 criteria to be diagnosed as borderline. She’s a dead-ringer for 8 out of 9, lacking only the suicidal tendencies (thank heavens for small blessings). Again, more on the imbalance in our half-open marriage shortly... it all ties together I promise.

As if all that wasn’t enough, around New Year’s this year, my wife got lazy about renewing her thyroid medication and went without it for about two weeks. To avoid the graphic medical details, suffice to say this threw her hormones out of whack enough to eventually cause long-term (potentially permanent) nerve damage in her genitals. While she has recovered some since then, it’s still considerably more difficult for her to become physically aroused as well as much more difficult to achieve orgasm. As a man who needs sex to be a mutually enjoyable act, I find it very difficult to find satisfaction out of sex unless I know my partner is at least equally satisfied. This means we’ve gone from having great sex every couple weeks or so to one mutually unsuccessful attempt in the last two months.

My wife is keenly aware of the problems this is causing for both of us, as well as the fact that it’s pretty much her (admittedly accidental) fault. This makes it that much more impossible for me to even propose the idea of finding another partner, as it would pretty much destroy her if I admitted how much our lack of sex life is bothering me. Before this issue arose, I never would have had any serious desire to be with another woman than her outside of the occasional idle, “Hey she’s hot, I’d love to bone her” passing fantasy.

Which leads to one of the final reasons for my need to vent. I reconnected with my first high school girlfriend early last year (2011) some time. This wasn’t a problem until recently, in fact my wife has her friended on Facebook and thinks she’s pretty cool. The ex-gf is a psychological mess. Her numerous psychological disorders, not the least of which is disassociative identity disorder (multiple personalities), were well earned by a history of emotional abuse from her family and a string of abusive romantic relationships - one of which almost ended in her untimely death. I’m pretty much the only person in her life who hasn’t let her down at some point. Since we reconnected, I’ve pretty much been someone for her to talk to, and tried to help boost her shattered self-image as much as I can via text messages and instant messaging.

Our relationship was perfectly innocent on my part until I trusted her enough to show her some pictures of Jamie in April of this year (starting with the ones I shared on here when my wife and I went to the Gender Bender Ball fund raiser at our one and only local GLBTQ-friendly club). I expected acceptance (or at worst slight discomfort), and I was hoping for someone I could share that part of my life with. While my wife doesn’t mind Jamie, neither of us is entirely comfortable yet with Jamie being around in front of my wife, so I pretty much feel like I don’t have anyone to share Jamie with. I did not expect to find out when I shared the pics with my ex-gf (nor did she) that she would love the thought of doing girly things with me like helping me learn about makeup, shopping, stuff like that. And not only did the ex think innocent girl-time would be a blast, apparently she is also hugely turned on by the idea of not-so-innocent girl-time with Jamie. Oops number 2.

So now here I sit in the corner I’ve painted myself into. My sex life with my wife is somewhere between non-existant and hair-pullingly frustrating through little fault of my own (I realize I could put more effort into fixing it, but that’s where the hair-pulling part comes in). The very thing which turns her off, turns on both me and the only person other than my wife that I can share Jamie with. This other person is off-limits physically because of my wife’s insecurities, yet due to my openness, my wife is allowed to have a great relationship with her long-distance lover. I have no idea if she would be open to the idea of my having a boyfriend if our situations were similar and I were bi, but I’m not, so it’s really academic.

FML

Wow, I really don't even know what to say. I thought I had had problems but you just topped me.
    You're in a tough position, no matter what you do someone will be hurt badly. In some ways the relationship with the ex is the lesbian experience that your wife needs also, but you are not a woman. Also the ex is also damaged emotionally and dealing with two is alot to handle. Good Luck

Hi, Jamie! I feel a bit stupid posting because I really haven't a clue what to say to you. Of course the magic words "professional help" spring to mind, but I wonder how effective that would be. There are some serious problems here, and I wouldn't know how to handle them myself. My ex had and still has some serious psychiatric problems, and I never knew what to do about them. Professional help didn't help her.

I can certainly offer you my sympathy, if that will give you any comfort, but I'm afraid that's the best I can do. Hopefully somebody on this forum will be able to give you some helpful suggestions.

Best wishes, Annabelle

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Oh my I'm at a loss to even know where to begin.
    I feel really bad for you because my second ex was having a fling with a guy online and she even lied to me saying she was going to Texas to visit her best girl friend.(nice lady)
    for two weeks and it ended up being two months.I did snoop in her email history and figured it all out and was devastated to say the least.This girl was really screwed up.
    She was having thyroid problems too and had multiple personalities as well, satisfying her sexually was near impossible so I quit even trying.
    Your situation is far more complex and my heart goes out to you because it effects all people involved with no real clear answer or avenue to take.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Jamie, I hope the venting helped, and maybe putting it down in paper so to speak can help you. Like the others have said, it is very difficult to give advice. your situation is very complicated, as you said. I sense someone may be, or remain hurt, I hope it is minimal and you can work something out.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Im so saddened to read your post...you are in such a bind, and I don't even know where to start. You really need some time to think, don't be rushed into any decisions, and try to explore your own true feelings. Does your medical cover therapy...? it may be a good option for you, but of course, its always hard to find that right person to talk with. Dealing with your wife as well as your own feelings is going to be a tough one, because I see already that you don't want to hurt her, but you are being hurt by her...

Maybe your ex gf your wife and her long distance gf should all get together and discuss some mutual possabilites -- who knows?...............Debra

I would recommend you explore the possibility that you are transsexual because being sexually attracted to women and not to men does not preclude this.

I'm not married but believe that all relationships should have reasons for continuing that are life affirming because when they stop being this way than they become destructive to life.

Not wanting to hurt someone is different than being in love with them and being in a relationship with someone who has Borderline Personality Disorder means that there is a very strong possibility that you are experiencing a trauma bond similar to Stockholm Syndrome that you identify as love.

Sexuality is an important human experience and goes far beyond physical release and allows for a sense of connectivity to your own humanity through the humanity of others and this loss of connectivity can make you emotionally/mentally/physically sick unless you experience this connectivity through spiritual existentialism so feel a part of everything as a state of being but you cannot get to this place without first stepping out of the sickness.

Sex is important for your sanity and when healthy will bring you back to self and than outward into the universe.

The world is filled with many broken people but we each stay broken by being a part of anothers brokenness so never heal ourselves. To really be of any help to others you first must be coming from a strong loving place in your relationship with yourself that comes from extricating yourself from the sickness otherwise you cannot see the forest for the trees.

My only advice would be that you stop thinking only of others and start thinking about your own welfare because it is easy to lose the will to live when you don't so you end up dying but feel good about yourself while feeling like you have thrown your life away.

I would venture to guess that the only person capable of sorting through this complicated relationship conundrum is sex and relationship columnist Dan Savage, best known for his advice column called "Savage Love". He has a website, but can also be contacted through his column which appears in many alternative newspapers.

Dan himself is openly gay, but he also has straight, gay, lesbian and bi-, followers as well as adherents of all kinds of other alternative lifestyles coming to him for advice, and most of it is spot-on. Nothing shocks him and he will usually cut to the chase in the case of issues like yours, most of which he can analyze with an amazing clarity that gets to the heart of the matter despite all of the extraneous "noise" that often accompany these reader requests for help - and not unlike your own convoluted situation.

Give him a try - he might just be able to help you sort through all this. Then again, you also run the risk of him simply advising you to DTMFA, which is his trademark acronym for "Dump the Mother F*cker, Already" when all else fails, and there simply is no more common ground left for for a workable solution to a relationship impasse.

Sounds just like a mass of rationalizations to me.
    [SIZE="4"]Momarie[/SIZE]

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. It's late and I'm sleepy and on my phone or I'd make a much more in depth response. I'll get back here tomorrow to address the interesting thoughts many if you have provided me.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Two wrongs do not make a right. Don't cheat. If sex is more important to you than your current relationship, then get out of your current relationship before starting the sex.

A few years ago, at a bar one night, a hot young woman was quite taken with me, wanted me to meet her the next day, she would dress me up, do my makeup, she wanted me to go to her church with her, and sex was implied; It had been rather a longer time since I had last had sex than is the case for you. When she got up and went to the washroom, I asked her roommate (whom I had talked to a few times before) to explain for me -- and I fled. I got out of the situation that would provide the opportunity to cheat.

I would be a liar if I said that I had never felt tempted to cheat; and Yes, I did feel at times that I had "reason" or "justifiable excuse" to cheat. None the less, I plowed through the immediate pangs and then asked myself whether it is what I really want, and whether I really want to be that kind of person, and the answer to both questions is always NO for me. It isn't that I don't enjoy sex, but rather that my relationship with my wife is more important to me than sex is.

I did, at times, seriously consider breaking up with my wife and then trying to find a relationship that included a healthy amount (but not "lots") of sex. I decided that wasn't what I really wanted to do, but at least I would have been acting ethically.

If your situation is one that you find you cannot life with, then get out of the situation first. Leaving a situation that is dragging you down is respectable. Cheating is not respectable.

Hmm, a mix bag there... :-\

So, your ex is your ex why?
    I don't really want to know but, it is something to think about before you go on.

My understanding is that one sided open relationships like you are talking about are very hard to do. Where your wife is allowed out but, not you. All open, all closed, or controlled open to a single or small set of people seem to be the things that sometimes work... the one sided open appears to end bad most of the time.

So, your wife has a medical condition. ... Does she still see her girl friend? Still the half open relationship?

This is really a hard one to deal with and you probably should find professional help if you want to stay with your wife. Find someone who has experience with this sort of relationship... On the flip side... what part of you or in your past has you drawn to these people. I didn't understand it for a long time... about myself... that I was attracted to my wife for a fairly clear set of reasons... other than the physical. Knowing yourself in all of this would be a very good thing. I wish I could help... My only thoughts are...

learn about yourself and why you are here
    remember why you aren't with your ex
    think about the open vs closed

If your going mad and you may make a bad choice with a stranger which could be much worst than with your ex depending... TALK WITH YOUR WIFE.
    If you have problems talking / listening look up "imago dialogue" on the net and get a book or a vid and PRACTICE TALKING WITH YOUR WIFE!

Ok I'm going to break this up into a couple of replies so I can be sure to address everyone. First let me clarify: I do not intend to cheat on my wife with my ex-gf. As the ex lives about 100 miles away, this shouldn't be too difficult to avoid. I'm just miserable because I'm so sorely tempted to do so in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki A. View Post
    Wow, I really don't even know what to say. I thought I had had problems but you just topped me...
    Nikki, even not knowing what to say, thanks for posting your support. It helps, trust me!

Quote Originally Posted by Annabelle Larousse View Post
    Hi, Jamie! I feel a bit stupid posting because I really haven't a clue what to say to you.

I can certainly offer you my sympathy, if that will give you any comfort, but I'm afraid that's the best I can do.
    Best wishes, Annabelle
    Annabelle, thanks for the well wishes! My wife is currently in couseling, and my ex will be back in therapy as soon as she gets over the current temporary financial bind she's in. I'm not really sure therapy can help me with this, as most of the problem isn't originating with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Oh my I'm at a loss to even know where to begin.
    I feel really bad for you because my second ex was having a fling with a guy online and she even lied to me saying she was going to Texas to visit her best girl friend.(nice lady)
    for two weeks and it ended up being two months.I did snoop in her email history and figured it all out and was devastated to say the least.This girl was really screwed up.
    She was having thyroid problems too and had multiple personalities as well, satisfying her sexually was near impossible so I quit even trying.
    Your situation is far more complex and my heart goes out to you because it effects all people involved with no real clear answer or avenue to take.
    Tracii, that sounds horrible! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Thanks for giving me some perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Ella View Post
    Jamie, I hope the venting helped, and maybe putting it down in paper so to speak can help you. Like the others have said, it is very difficult to give advice. your situation is very complicated, as you said. I sense someone may be, or remain hurt, I hope it is minimal and you can work something out.

Barbara
    Barbara, thanks for taking the time to post your support! Getting it down on paper has helped a little bit. And yeah, there's no real way out of this without someone getting hurt, I just hope to keep it to a manageable level of hurt (whatever that means) for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria in heels View Post
    Im so saddened to read your post...you are in such a bind, and I don't even know where to start. You really need some time to think, don't be rushed into any decisions, and try to explore your own true feelings. Does your medical cover therapy...? it may be a good option for you, but of course, its always hard to find that right person to talk with. Dealing with your wife as well as your own feelings is going to be a tough one, because I see already that you don't want to hurt her, but you are being hurt by her...
    Maria, thanks for your support. As I mentioned earlier, my wife is already in therapy for her borderline personality issues, and I don't really see any way therapy can help me out of this one unless all three (four with my wife's gf?) of us were in the therapist's office at once, and that'll never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Debra Russell View Post
    Maybe your ex gf your wife and her long distance gf should all get together and discuss some mutual possabilites -- who knows?...............Debra
    Debra, yeah that was part of the discussion when my wife and I first talked about her finding a girlfriend, and the answer I got was effectively "This additional relationship would be for me, not us." Additionally, her girlfriend is also married (her marriage is open for her bi husband also though), and if I were her husband I would want some input before my wife added another man to the outside relationship, because that's a whole other bag of chips.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyJameson View Post
    I would recommend you explore the possibility that you are transsexual because being sexually attracted to women and not to men does not preclude this.

I'm not married but believe that all relationships should have reasons for continuing that are life affirming because when they stop being this way than they become destructive to life...
    Kelly, you bring up some good points. First, I'm not saying I'm not transsexual because I like women. I'm saying it because while I occasionally enjoy playing the role of a woman, at my core I'm happy being a man. Crossdressing for me is an escape from reality and also a self-esteem boost when I can see myself as attractive for a little while.

Second, I do love my wife very much. While I do have issues sometimes with putting myself first, I'm definitely not still in this marriage just out of fear of hurting my wife if I left. While knowing she's borderline means I can't say for sure she'd get over it if I did leave, she's an extremely strong woman, so I tend to think she eventually would manage to move on. None of her borderline issues were really apparent to me until recently when I started doing some reading on the subject at her request. Yeah she did stuff that annoyed me, but everyone does, and none of it was a big deal until this relationship change last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    I would venture to guess that the only person capable of sorting through this complicated relationship conundrum is sex and relationship columnist Dan Savage, best known for his advice column called "Savage Love". He has a website, but can also be contacted through his column which appears in many alternative newspapers...
    Leslie, thanks for the advice on where to get advice! I'll definitely look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Momarie View Post
    Sounds just like a mass of rationalizations to me.
    Momarie: I was expecting one of these posts at some point, so thanks for getting it out of the way. Can you clarify what you think I'm rationalizing? That I don't think I want to transition? That I'm looking for a reason to sleep with my ex? To be fair, yes, this entire post is "rationalization". I'm trying to logically sift through my situation, organize my thoughts, and find a "rational" solution, that ends up hurting everyone involved the least, hopefully with the help of some of the good folks of this community.

Quote Originally Posted by sandra-leigh View Post
    Two wrongs do not make a right. Don't cheat. If sex is more important to you than your current relationship, then get out of your current relationship before starting the sex...
    Sandra-Leigh, you're absolutely right. I don't want to cheat. I want to find a way to sort things out with my wife, where either our sexual issues with each other are resolved (or at least alleviated to a tolerable level to me), or I go outside our relationship with her blessing, or I find a way to deal with relying on my frequent visits to my good friend Rosy Palmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Maple View Post
    Hmm, a mix bag there... :-\

So, your ex is your ex why?
    I don't really want to know but, it is something to think about before you go on.

My understanding is that one sided open relationships like you are talking about are very hard to do. Where your wife is allowed out but, not you. All open, all closed, or controlled open to a single or small set of people seem to be the things that sometimes work... the one sided open appears to end bad most of the time.

So, your wife has a medical condition. ... Does she still see her girl friend? Still the half open relationship?...
    Diane, thanks for the food for thought. Oops, I just realized I also never clarified that my ex-gf was my first high school girlfriend, and I'm currently in my mid-30's so our romance was quite a while in the past. She broke it off with me literally to protect my life, as her ultra-psycho violent ex-bf was back in town and probably would have killed me had we confronted each other. Fun stuff, eh?

My wife is still very much in the relationship with her long-distance girlfriend. In fact her gf is coming down to visit us for 4 days here in about 3-4 weeks.

I really think I'd have been ok with the one-sided open relationship as long as my part of that relationship was still completely healthy. I was dealing with it decently for several months before the medication incident screwed things up.

I'm definitely NOT going to make a poor decision with a stranger. There are no worries there. Conversely though, I definitely don't dare let myself see my ex face-to-face until my issues with my wife are resolved or alleviated, or my hormones could well overwhelm my brain and heart that tell me not to be stupid and cheat.

I have talked with my wife, though not about my temptation with my ex. She is well aware of the strain that is on our relationship right now and that a large portion of that strain originates one way or another with her. That actually kinda compounds the problem, as it puts even more "pressure for success" on our lovemaking.

Thanks again for all the great input, folks!

I think the problem is a few unrealistic expectations in here. Your wife is incapable of having sex that stimulates her nerve endings in her genitals. That is something which you are either going to have to change how you are wired sexually (pretty darn difficult, but the most important organ for orgasm is the brain; I'm sure that you could convolutedly try something to that effect though it may take a long time).

Second unrealistic expectation: your wife can go outside the marriage to meet a need with another human being and you cannot. If that relationship is 90% distance and 10% in person, I don't see how much that matters that the other partner is considered a 'woman' and not a 'human.' Again, a difficult place to be - but sex is important and many straight guys are in open relationships. I think if she wants an outlet you should get one, too.

If the open relationship she has hinges on the fact that the other is a woman, and you just can't offer that, why can't you negotiate an open relationship where you are dressed? This is something you have discovered is massively a turn on for you and she just can't fulfil that. That's fine, you didn't ask her to when she married you and you discovered that about yourself when in the marriage just like she discovered she needed a boy AND a girl.

I do think you may want to still see a counsellor of some sort - as an impartial observer on the Internet I notice you seem to be a 'shining knight' type, attracted to women you can 'help save.' I have noticed that many of the men I have met like this in my life have some reason for this which (sometimes) can be negative and (sometimes) they are not themselves aware of.

Duchess of Eyeliner Erica2Sweet's Avatar
    Hi Jamie. It appears the corner you've painted yourself in has a few landmines strewn about. You seem very intelligent, so I suspect you know that your involvement with the ex, is ground that has to be treaded-on very lightly, or it could turn ugly fast. The last thing you need right now is to fall into bed with your ex. Even if it were to be with your wife's blessing, I think the repercussions would be life-changing in a very bad way in terms of your marriage.

In your post I see there are some issues you have with the imbalance of peripheral relationships you and she are allowed to partake it. If it were me, I would probably suggest to the wife to temporarily pause ALL external relationships until you and she set right what needs to be within the marriage. Then, take a look at how the rules for external relationships for you and she are structured, so it feels more BALANCED for the both of you. You two together may even decide that peripheral people need to go. Whatever. As long as the decisions here are mutual and communication is TOTALLY HONEST. Be thoughtful in choosing your words as well, but honesty is still paramount. The main point is to get some balance with regard to this issue, or resentment is going to build.

The absolute worst thing you two could do at this point is to fall into bed with peripheral people and ignore your feelings. I've seen this play out and it will turn into a s**tstorm of epic proportions if you do not heed what I write in this paragraph! Do NOT maintain relationships and have sex outside of the marriage unless there is agreement AND balance in terms of the rules in which you two are operating. Did I mention honesty?

One last thing: There are several relationship books out there from around the 1990s that talk about similar situations. They often suggest remedies that involve a changing of your philosophy regarding your relationships and adopt a philosophy of "living in the now" and "being in the moment" to absolve everyone of responsibility. This stuff is garbage that teaches people it's OK to act irresponsibly. It's crap and should be treated as such...
    Last edited by Erica2Sweet; 10-14-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Babeba View Post
    I think the problem is a few unrealistic expectations in here. Your wife is incapable of having sex that stimulates her nerve endings in her genitals. That is something which you are either going to have to change how you are wired sexually (pretty darn difficult, but the most important organ for orgasm is the brain; I'm sure that you could convolutedly try something to that effect though it may take a long time).

Second unrealistic expectation: your wife can go outside the marriage to meet a need with another human being and you cannot...
    Babeba, you're pretty much right on all counts. I guess I feel a little bit like I imagine some of the SO's/spouses of CD's must feel. I've given my agreement to this behavior, now I don't feel like I can go back on that agreement to any extent, especially when my wife is as fragile emotionally as I know she is.

As far as the origins of my "Shining Knight Syndrome", I think most of that comes from a few factors: being bullied growing up (not for effeminate appearance or behavior, but because I was your classic introverted dorky nerd), escaping that bullying by reading countless fantasy novels, and by being raised by parents who instilled the importance of treating women with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Erica2Sweet View Post
    Hi Jamie. It appears the corner you've painted yourself in has a few landmines strewn about. You seem very intelligent, so I suspect you know that your involvement with the ex, is ground that has to be treaded-on very lightly, or it could turn ugly fast. The last thing you need right now is to fall into bed with your ex. Even if it were to be with your wife's blessing, I think the repercussions would be life-changing in a very bad way in terms of your marriage.
    The absolute worst thing you two could do at this point is to fall into bed with peripheral people and ignore your feelings. I've seen this play out and it will turn into a s**tstorm of epic proportions if you do not heed what I write in this paragraph! Do NOT maintain relationships and have sex outside of the marriage unless there is agreement AND balance in terms of the rules in which you two are operating. Did I mention honesty?
    Erica, believe me I know the worst thing I could do right now is to fall in bed with someone else. I really think I would be ok with my wife having a girlfriend as long as the relationship between my wife and I were more healthy. Honestly, the reason I've latched on to my ex is because she is the first person I've come out to outside of the house. I actually intend to remedy that tonight in a small way, as a baby step towards coming out to some other folks that I might trust enough.

What I'm coming to realize I need right now are two things:

First and foremost a healthy sexual relationship with my wife. I'm not sure how to go about that, but I'm definitely going to renew my efforts in that area. Unfortunately although counseling is covered under our insurance, we can't really even afford the copays for her to be in individual counseling at the same time either I'm in individual counseling or we're in couple's counseling.

Secondarily, I need someone I can share the "innocent" part of Jamie with: the makeup advice, the shopping, etc. That means I need to either meet some new people or at least come out to a few more folks that I know I can trust. I'm starting down that road tonight.

As far as Jamie in the bedroom, I can't even be sure that's something that would be as much fun after the novelty wore off, so it's not worth risking my marriage on what could be just a brief fling of experimentation. Yeah I know, it's likely not "just a phase", but there's still a chance it could be. There will definitely be no outside sex on my part until after the wife and I are back on more stable ground in our physical relationship.

Hi again Jamie.

Sounds like you have the tools you need. Good luck to you. Feel free to message me any time. I'd be happy to reply or even bounce an idea off my lovely wife if that would be of help to you in some way.

One thing I should mention: Since my first reply, my wife has been searching for information on thyroid issues and potential permanent nerve damage and found nothing. I'm NOT saying someone is not being honest by any stretch. Its just that we see nothing to back up the assertion that genital nerve damage is even possible as a result of an untreated thyroid condition. However, my wife just noted that there are many anti-depressants that will cause female sexual dysfunction. http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/...l-dysfunction/
    Last edited by Erica2Sweet; 10-14-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Erica: It's telling me I can't send you a PM:
    Erica2Sweet has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    The first question that jumps out at me, Bob, is why r u married? Or, why r u staying married? A marriage without sex isn't a marriage in my book! Yet, u never mention considering separating, much less divorce! Beyond that, your post is like a bag of cats!

No way I would give u advice. Or, can even understand what you're going thru. Doesn't sound like dressing is one of your problems, tho.

My ex is bi. Found a girlfriend on the side without me knowing. However, when our sex life died, I knew we had serious problems! Therapy helped until my ex walked out of our last session. I never considered staying married to someone who had given up on us and live in a sexless marriage. We have 2 kids. Our splitting up was BETTER for them! This was all before I began seriously dressing. But, like u mentioned, me wearing a dress wouldn't have satisfied my ex's needs!

Have u considering separating?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    The first question that jumps out at me, Bob, is why r u married? Or, why r u staying married? A marriage without sex isn't a marriage in my book! Yet, u never mention considering separating, much less divorce! Beyond that, your post is like a bag of cats!

No way I would give u advice. Or, can even understand what you're going thru. Doesn't sound like dressing is one of your problems, tho.

My ex is bi. Found a girlfriend on the side without me knowing. However, when our sex life died, I knew we had serious problems! Therapy helped until my ex walked out of our last session. I never considered staying married to someone who had given up on us and live in a sexless marriage. We have 2 kids. Our splitting up was BETTER for them! This was all before I began seriously dressing. But, like u mentioned, me wearing a dress wouldn't have satisfied my ex's needs!

Have u considering separating?
    Wow, ok then! To the point! You're right, my dressing is not an issue, I'm very lucky where that's concerned. To answer your question, yes the idea of separation has crossed my mind (I'm human), but only briefly. In your situation, your ex had given up on the marriage, whereas I don't feel that either I nor my wife has given up. That makes it worth continuing to try. If I do reach a point where I feel like she's given up or I think there's just no chance of fixing things, then I'll seriously consider separation, but not before that point.

There is little I can add except that there is a lot of good advice here and your venting has helped you I think.
    Keep at it and you will resolve it in time.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    ...Have u considering separating?
    Giving up early is an exercise best left to the French...

When one person within a couple experiences a physical issue that results in lowered sex drive, I personally don't see how that's time to cut and run. When both partners value their marriage, it's usually best to try to work through marital issues progressively, as opposed to cutting one's losses and bailing out.

The content of the OP was not a "bag of cats". It is self-expression and an exercise in articulating and better understanding internal feelings. It's a beautiful thing...
    Last edited by Erica2Sweet; 10-14-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsBob View Post
    Erica: It's telling me I can't send you a PM:
    Fixed it moments ago. Sorry about that.