Thread: Go out and be carded

Go out and be carded

Has anyone gone to a bar or something and been carded? Just thought that might be kind of a weird moment

I have been carded not only at a bar but a grocery store when I used my credit card,but my picture on my drivers licence has me dressed with make-up and my hair down.So I guess it doesn't count if I was dressed for my licence.Still fun though!

I never went out en femme until the only question about my age would be about the senior citizen discount. I've checked ID's in bars and this issue never arose.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

I'm thinking that I'm going to go get a new D/L photo in about 3 or 4 mo nths when my hair is long enough to style MORE femme..

They card everyone here....gray hair or not, they card.
    Scottie
    You must dare to disassociate yourself from those who would delay your journey... Leave, depart, if not physically, then mentally.
    Go your own way, quietly, undramatically, and venture toward trueness at last.

-- Vernon Howard

GypsyKaren
    I get carded a lot for this and that, I just tell them I look a wee bit different now, never had any problems.

Karen

Banned Read only
    There are many cities where it is a local law that people MUST show legal ID to get into a bar or nightclub. Where I work at the Warfield and Fillmore if you want a bar stamp you will show ID, even if you look 142. Its too important to take a chance with.

I love being carded. It's always cool to get a double take from the Bouncer. The best one I ever was at a lesbian bar in Detroit. The girl checking IDs looked at mine, then looked at me and just said "Impressive".
    "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. "

- Anais Nin

Just a woman, period joanlynn28's Avatar
    Yeah, when I do get carded, than I have to explain that I am going through transition and just havn't gotten my new id yet. No one has yet to complain about it, they just say have a nice time miss. Now I want to get carded so I can show them my new license with my correct photo and gender marker on it.
    Joan Lynn

Just a girl stranded on her little red island amongst a lovely sea of blue.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, for those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    Dr. Seuss

I went out dressed for the very first time (except for halloween) a few weeks ago. I hit a few malls and was feeling great, with no reaction at all from anybody. Feeling bolder, I picked up some panties and a blouse from a JC Penny store.

I had to wait in line to pay, then paid with a credit card. The machine told me to present it to the salesperson to have the signature checked, and I knew I was in trouble... I had never signed the back of the card!!

She saw the card wasn't signed and asked me for some form of positive ID. All I had was my dirver's license (with a photo that was obviously me in 'boy' mode. I handed it over to her and she didn't even blink. Just looked at it, looked at me, said 'thank you' and handed it back.

After that, she finished checking me out and even made a nice comment aboutt he color of the blouse I had chosen as she folded it and put it in the bag.

I was thrilled... I may have been 'caught', but it didn't matter, the world didn't end!
    In a society in which it is a moral offense to be different from your neighbor your only escape is never to let them find out.
    -- Robert Heinlein

This is adapted from my blog - apologies for cannibalizing (again!) but it is entirely on point with this topic:

Last month in San Francisco I went out shopping while en femme. Among other places, I went to the Macy's in Union Square. Another Macy's, another MAC counter for some much needed re-supply. And then up to lingerie...

Most of you probably know my bugaboo about CDs obsessing with passing. But let me tell you that I apparently passed with flying colors, at least with regard to the sales associate who helped me. After a lot of browsing, I picked up a nice Natori set and another nice Felina set. I went to check out with this same SA.

We had been chatting for quite a bit (so she was hearing my voice and probably had noticed by now that I was about a foot taller than her) as she helped me out and rang me up. I gave her my credit card and she asked for my license. I figured no big deal, as she plainly has figured it out by now. I gave it to her ... and she did an unbelievable double take. I thought it was sooooo funny! She was very polite, and really quite sweet. But it was neat because it was quite clear that she must have at least thought me transgendered. And she said "you really let your hair grow out!" Which is nice to hear when you are worried about how your wig looks.

Upshot: if you are transgendered and are upset by the whole issue of producing ID that reflects an inconsistent gender, I get the point and you have my sympathy. On the other hand, if you're a CD and get carded, have fun with it. If that is the first instance where they figure out your differing genetic gender, congratulate yourself on a successful run, and you can probably figure that this is a person who should have no problem dealing with you as a woman!

Erica
    For photos on flickr, my user name is cd_erica_f

Yes ... I've been carded a few times at bars and restaurants. Narry a second look! They just look at my liscence, mumble "ok", and hand it back. I was a little nervous the first time. But now it doesn't phase me so much. I was with my SO the first time, so that helped give me some courage.

I once confused a bouncer when going to a school disco.

Haha! He just said, "Fair enough, mate" -- but took a nice double take before letting me in. xx

[size=3]Hugs xx[/size]

[size=2]"You don't have to be fat to be a lady", Sophie 2006[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Hey, those are nice shoes, but they'd look better in my pants! ... I mean..." Robot Chicken, 2006[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"He's just said a word we don't understand! And he's won at scrabble with it!" - Eddie Izzard 1998[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Head over heels is fine, unless you're in stilettos." -The Beautiful South, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"Forgive me. Let live, me." - Antony and the Johnsons 2005[/size]
    [SIZE="1"]"We walk amoung you..." TransAmerica, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=3]THREAD SUCCESSFULLY HIJACKED[/size]

I was carded last weekend when I purchased a gift for my wife, as I was paying by credit card. I was completely dressed en femme, and my DL picture shows me with a beard, lol. Nothing was said by the SA. It was a fantastic feeling. And no I didn't blend in, as I was in a skirt, hose and heels where as almost every gg was in pants. Then when you add in my 5'15.5" height in heels, I did kind of stick out. But I never experienced anything negative, that day. I did get a positive comment from a young gg, she smiled and said "looking good" to the two of us. My friend blended in better, as she decided to wear jeans.

Helen in OK

A new picture of me from last Saturday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley_Katlyn View Post
    Hiee everyone

about 2 years ago, I was with a small group of friends - all totally en femme. We decided to hit a gender friendly club in Tacoma, Wa., about an hour away. As we walked up the stairs into the bar, there was a girl checking ID's...Without a moments hesitation I pulled my drivers license out of my purse and presented it , along with my photo - in FULL beard, to her. Without missing a beat, she glances at it - then me - and says "must be your twin brother?", to which I responded "we're very close, but I wouldn't call us 'twins'". She laughed, handed me back my license and waved us thru...

And so it goes

Ash

OK I did not know Tacoma had TG friendly places but I think we will have to go there!!! Tell me it's not downtown though or on South Tacoma way??

I'm bout 45 mins away.
    Scottie
    You must dare to disassociate yourself from those who would delay your journey... Leave, depart, if not physically, then mentally.
    Go your own way, quietly, undramatically, and venture toward trueness at last.

-- Vernon Howard

Just a woman, period joanlynn28's Avatar
    I must ad another time that I did get carded the doorman looked at my ID than me and said damn I was going to ask you out on a date, I found that odd considering the doorman was working outside a well known homosexual bar in town, who would have thought that they had straight employees there.
    Joan Lynn

Just a girl stranded on her little red island amongst a lovely sea of blue.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, for those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by kspntyhoselvr_04 View Post
    Has anyone gone to a bar or something and been carded? Just thought that might be kind of a weird moment
    Never
    Once bitten, always smitten

Semi Sane innocent angel
    Ok the very first time I got asked for ID was during halloween
    . I'm all dressed up and I left my flash card at home. I had to stop in at walgreens real quick. Now i'm just sure ever bodyu now i'm a guy in a dress, but guess not. Some 19 year was working the counter. I pay with a credit card and he askes for ID. well he just about wet his pants and freaked out. guess he didnt know. this is what i was wearing

I went out to a bar/club last night and soon as i walked in I was allready prepared because theres no avoiding it so when i handed the bouncer my ID all I did was smile proudly he said this is you I said yes, he said have fun. So I went to the bar to order a carona and all of a sundden a tap on the shoulder mam the the bouncer at the front door will like to see you. So I walked over there and and all he wanted to know again was is that really me so after I told him I promise he said I just had to ask cause you look great he apalogized and again said have a good time.

In Georgia (and some other states) there is a simple solution to the problem of being "carded". Here you can get a state issued ID card that is separate from your driver's license. All you have to do is get dressed the way you want for your ID, go to the driver's license office, tell them you want an ID card, show your driver's license, pay your money, get your picture taken, and about 15 minutes after you started the process you get handed an official state issued ID card. They don't care how you are dressed. Take a look at this thread for more detailed info on when I got mine last year: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=15706

I have gone back to the driver's license office near my home several times recently while accompanying CD friends who were getting their ID's. I took a friend there last Friday and the girl at the reception desk started asking me about the one I accompanied the month before. We had a lot of laughs just talking with the people who work there.

The ID card is very useful. I often use mine for picture identification when paying for something with a credit card (if I am enfemme at the time).
    Phoebe

Carded various times

My first time was many years ago in Salt Lake City, there you had to be a member of a club in order to buy liquor. Since it was a gay bar, no real problem. It seems that many of the clubs in Chicago require it as well, although no matter how I look I couldn't be close to 21. When I am out of town I really don't worry about it, I couldn't ever go out regularly in my home town. A number of my co-workers are gay, they are out in the open and I know about them, none of them know about Tiffany.

I get carded a good amount. When using my guy credit card while out shopping enfemme perhaps about half the time I get asked for ID. I just show them my guy ID.

Here is a picture of me at a BP station buying beer, the attendant behind the counter is holding my 'guy' ID since they have to ask for ID in Georgia when you buy beer or cigs.
    Attached Images Attached Images