Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Are The Stereotypes True?

Comfortable to be me PortiaHoney's Avatar

Awww!

Quote Originally Posted by angelfire View Post
    I don't know if I think crossdressers as a whole are necessarily smarter than most people. I think as a group we are as diverse as any other, and as such have members with both high intelligence, and members with low intelligence.
    Are you trying to say we are just normal people??????????

I did an IQ test once. I was told I did well, just can't remember what the score was cause my memory ain't so good. CF doesn't rate either because I see those tests as a little bit biased towards particular skills base's (should that be basis?). Did the Mensa test too just to give it a go and scored ok. Couldn't find a Commonsense test though.

I was supposed to have the promising career, blah, blah, blah but couldn't decide which side of the fence suited me better. You might say, a bit distracted. Trying to decide if I wanted to live was a bigger concern than what I actually wanted to do with my life - what a waste of promise..... If I only knew then what I know now........ LOL

But, if you want to get into a bit of, my IQ's bigger than your IQ, that smacks to me of another form of competition. Seems a little out of place here though.

Nah, just kidding......... Have fun comparing.

Interesting premise though.

Portia
    Freedom to be an individual is all powerful

My doll collection is too big for my house. I can't even display them all now.

My IQ? Does a Master's Degree from The School of Hard Knocks count. LOL

I love movies and have about 3000 vhs tapes and 2500 dvd. Dam blue ray nw I am going to have to start all over again. IQ is 125. That shocked me I thought it would be low cuz, I was in dumb class from grade 7 to 12. I found out I had A.D.D. And lets see if I can spell this right, Disleksea. Oh well I tryed. I can't spell well or do math e.t.c. so there you go. HUGGS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC].....................100% Authentic Canadian Cross-dressing Truckdriver!!!!!!!!!

(((((((((((((((((((("I LOVE BEING A CROSSDRESSER")))))))))))))))))))

Link to My 20th high school reunion http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...d.php?t=112976

If you don't like my (honesty) well TFB.

Men are just a single celled orgasm , In a petri dish held by a woman. (Gene Simmons)

Smart ? & Collect Things

Well girls, I have no idea what my IQ is. I do have a BS Degree in Accounting and a JD in Law. I also have enough credits for a degree in Sociology. I was on the Honor Society in College in both Accounting and in Law School. I still do not know whether I am very smart. It really makes no difference in the long run - we still have this cross to bear of being transgendered (cross dressers) (MTF), whatever.

As far as collecting thing, I collect everything according to my spouse. I collect cameras, model cars, trains, Southern Gospel Music, Theology Books, John Deere equipment, and especially feminine clothing. (my panty collection is well over 300 pairs) My wife cannot understand why I have to have so much feminine clothing. I collect makeup, jewelry, dresses and especially shoes.

If I were really smart, then why would I collect all these clothes ?

Lost in the Pink Fog !

JoAnne Wheeler

Comfortable to be me PortiaHoney's Avatar

Try this way?

Quote Originally Posted by Christina W View Post
    And lets see if I can spell this right, Disleksea. HUGGS.
    Isn't it Slikdexsia? Doesn't that mean you can write with both hands?

Also, dyslexia has no relationship to intelligence, just poses a barrier to expressing it in written form and in the learning of written instructions. As a result, many gifted ADD and dyslexic kids get lumped into the wrong category just because they are more difficult to teach.

Spelling and Math are overrated - it's official. My neice brought home math homework and it had lots of spelling mistakes. Her teacher told her it's all about what is meant - not how it's spelled.

Portia
    Freedom to be an individual is all powerful

Never forget to dream Raquelle C's Avatar
    Hmmm... Collecting, no not me!

Cars (full size), Cars (models & R/C) & Shoes! Bahahahhahahah!

Gold Member
    I don't know how smart I am...
    Probably pretty stupid cause I have a degree and somehow still got stuck working a job where someone doesn't even need to speak English.

Collecting things?
    I just do not, I am not a junk person. If it is useless, it gets tossed out. I don't waste money on objects just to look pretty laying around the house and pissing away good money on them.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

So, if CD in general are highly intelligent, why don't more people do it? Has anyone thought that maybe we CD BECAUSE we're smart, or possibly that we're smart BECAUSE we CD? Either way, more people should start doing it, it obviously has great mental benefits. Either you get smarter, or you appear smarter, there's no downside!

(plus, maybe we could all get a litte more acceptance that way...)

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Galadriel View Post
    So, if CD in general are highly intelligent, why don't more people do it? Has anyone thought that maybe we CD BECAUSE we're smart, or possibly that we're smart BECAUSE we CD? Either way, more people should start doing it, it obviously has great mental benefits. Either you get smarter, or you appear smarter, there's no downside!

(plus, maybe we could all get a litte more acceptance that way...)
    Maybe it's because we are more openminded about things in general therefore we absorb knowledge faster and easier.

However, all this falls down until it is proven that the majority of Xdressers are, in fact, more intelligent.

I think I'm more pack rat than collector, a random array of junk that I refuse to get rid of for whatever reason isn't collecting, although much of the junk was accumulated during different collection phases (music cds, dvds, stamps (not sure what I was thinking here), baseball cards). Later in life my main collection was a ridiculous amount of makeup, which I now can't use (overstayed it's shelf life). And ironically, I don't part with that either.

As far as intelligence goes, I don't understand the question.
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

. Either you get smarter, or you appear smarter, there's no downside!
    Other than having the vast majority of people thinking we're completely nuts, of course!
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Wanna be a girl. Ibuki_Warpetal's Avatar
    I don't actively collect anything, though I was a packrat when I was younger. The concept seems wasteful, though I believe I fall under a different category as I have been "diagnosed" with a natural mental condition that separates me from the norms even more than what is apparent.
    As far as intelligence, some would say I am genius, others would call me a fool. They are both right.
    The last name is Warpetal.
    That should have been your first clue.
    No regrets.
    WHEN YOU FIGHT YOU CAN LOSE
    BUT WHEN YOU GIVE UP YOU'VE ALREADY LOST.

My SO always tells me I'm smart. I don't know for sure, have an AS and a BS. As for collecting YES I guess I collect a lot, tools, junk as SO puts it, a large femme wardrobe (got to cut down on shopping, running out of room to keep), brass lamps well you get the idea.
    Laura

Just an average girl Carole Cross's Avatar
    I am more of a hoarder than a collector, I have too much worthless junk lying around.
    To join MENSA you need to be in the top two percent, which I am with an IQ of 148, but I decided not to join.

After reading some of the post here I would say that being intelligent is correct. As far as collectors... Well I myself am not in any way a pack rat. I can't stand to have a bunch of junk sitting around. Now as for my intelligence.. I've been called a "Smart A**" plenty of times. LOL
    No, those are my Panties]

I like to collect cars. To bad they are so expensive! I have a 65 Shelby Mustang, 72 V12 XKE, and a 67 Stingray.
    Charlie

Let's see, as far as intelligence goes, I took an IQ test once and scored somewhere in the 130s (long time ago and I don't put a lot of stock in those things). I was in gifted and college prep classes in high school. I have a rather good memory (not quite photographic) but I do remember details about events quite well. And my wife constantly tells people I'm a genius .
    I've had several collections over the years (still have most of them in storage in the basement). Matchbox cars, model train stuff, CDs and coins. Now I just save things that I think will come in handy later on which my wife hates. So maybe I am a bit of a pack rat.
    My literary tastes seem to run to sci-fi,fantasy and Stephen King. When I watch TV, I like to watch a lot of educational stuff on Discovery or the History channel along with sci-fi and crime dramas which I like to try and figure out the who-dunit before the reveal at the end of the show.

So do I fit the mold or did I break it?
    If clothes make the man, I must not be one.

If men are from Mars and women are from Venus, I am definitely from Earth. Somewhere in the middle.

Originally posted by Inna
    If you find your self in pain, yet not able to stop the pursuit, rest assured, you are on the right path
    You may call me Dana B

Where'd you hear those stereotypes? I think the stereotype about crossdressers is that they're creepy or gay or perverts. But intelligent and collectors? That's not so bad.

I hate collecting things. I hate having tons of just stuff around. But I do have about 300 DVDs. I have 3 aquariums and a lot of cool fish. I used to have tons of CDs, but I converted them all to MP3s and sold most of them. It's great collecting stuff (like music or photos) that you can just keep on your hard drive. The only collections I have that actually take up space are movies, books, and artwork. I love just about any print by Frederick Leighton, John Waterhouse, Millais, Bouguereau, Godward, Renoir, Alma-Tadema, or Van Gogh.

But I suppose I should consider my clothes a collection. In that case, I'm totally out of control. It's actually pretty stressful for me having so many clothes everywhere. I have piles of clothes, bags of clothes, a closet full of clothes, clothes stuffed under my bed, and tons of clothes stuffed in my attic.

I took an IQ test that said mine was 147. I think that was around six years old. The whole concept of IQ is silly, though. If you were tested at 12 and were as smart as the average 24-year-old, you've got a 200 IQ. It doesn't mean you have the common sense of the 24-year-old. It doesn't mean you're logical or even rational. And you might test at a 200 IQ but never learn anything for the rest of your life.

Marilyn vos Savant was tested with an IQ of 228, and she's no genius. She displayed a total lack of understanding of probability by publishing an article where she showed that she had never heard of the Monte Hall Problem -- and then she went on to answer it incorrectly. She also married Robert Jarvic, who is another fake genius. He went to a medical school that lets anybody in, never actually practiced medicine, and he took credit for creating the artificial heart because the guy who did invent it let him have the patent. Not to mention that his artificial heart is useless -- it's the size of a shopping cart, not portable, and nobody ever survived more than a year and a half on the thing -- with a quality of life that would cause most people to prefer death.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by racquel937 View Post
    Marilyn vos Savant was tested with an IQ of 228, and she's no genius. She displayed a total lack of understanding of probability by publishing an article where she showed that she had never heard of the Monte Hall Problem -- and then she went on to answer it incorrectly.
    vos Savant's answer to the Monty Hall problem was correct, under the (reasonable) assumptions she was solving with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marilyn...y_Hall_problem

Quote Originally Posted by racquel937 View Post
    She also married Robert Jarvic, who is another fake genius. He went to a medical school that lets anybody in, never actually practiced medicine, and he took credit for creating the artificial heart because the guy who did invent it let him have the patent. Not to mention that his artificial heart is useless -- it's the size of a shopping cart, not portable, and nobody ever survived more than a year and a half on the thing
    He didn't go to medical school; he has a masters in medical engineering from New York University. I don't know whether they literally let "anyone in", but NYU has a substantial reputation:

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    For four consecutive years NYU has been ranked as America's "#1 dream school" by The Princeton Review.[5] NYU counts 31 Nobel Prize winners; 2 Abel Prize winners; 9 National Medal of Science recipients; 16 Pulitzer Prize winners; 19 Academy Award winners (more than any other American university);[6] Emmy, Grammy, and Tony Award winners; and MacArthur and Guggenheim Fellowship holders[7] among its past and present graduates and faculty
    Jarvik didn't invent the artificial heart from scratch: as is very often the case in science, he made important improvements to technologies involved in an idea someone had thought of long before. That's the way science works.

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Additionally, Jarvik was noted for a key contribution to the heart which involved using ultra thin membranes stacked to form a diaphragmatic surface with a graphite lubricant intermittently placed between the membranes.
    And it wasn't "a year and a half", it was 620 days, which is 1 year 8 months 12 days.

Quote Originally Posted by tess-leigh View Post
    vos Savant's answer to the Monty Hall problem was correct, under the (reasonable) assumptions she was solving with.
    That's very interesting. I'd always heard that she said that switching doors doesn't matter. Now it looks like she actually understood the question and got it right. Hmm!

He didn't go to medical school; he has a masters in medical engineering from New York University.
    Jarvik's Wikipedia page has been modified many times to make him look more competent. He probably keeps an eye on it himself. I can't even find a reference to his med school in the history section, but here's some info for ya:

http://www.answers.com/topic/robert-jarvik

After he graduated in 1968 with a bachelor's degree in zoology, his medical plans were thwarted by his grades, which were inadequate for acceptance in an American medical school. By Jarvik's own admission, he was rejected by about 25 different medical schools in the United States.

Disappointed but undaunted, Jarvik enrolled in medical school at the University of Bologna in Italy. He returned to the United States after two years ...

Through his work with Kolff, he was accepted into Utah's medical school. He finally earned his degree in 1976.

If you look around you'll see that University of Utah is the bottom of the barrel for medical & law school, and Jarvik still only got in because he had friends there.

Jarvik didn't invent the artificial heart from scratch: as is very often the case in science, he made important improvements to technologies involved in an idea someone had thought of long before. That's the way science works.
    Why are you trying to give him so much credit? He did next to nothing. He made one significant contribution to the artificial heart, but the heart itself was a failure! Sure, they kept a guy alive for 1 year and 8 months on it (and I sincerely apologize for saying a year and a half), but the artificial heart was a joke. That's why nobody uses it. It was totally ridiculous. It was enormous, and the "heart" wasn't exactly inside the patient! It was a massive machine and it needed two tubes that were each 3 cm in diameter (1.2 inches) coming out of your chest to hook you up to it (requiring tons of antibiotics). That sounds like a fun way to live for 1 year and 8 months!

I'm not sure why you have an agenda to say Jarvik's a smart guy and nit-pick little details, but come on...

I guess I sound like I have an agenda since I'm saying he's an idiot, but I'm just offended that he was constantly on TV selling heart medication a couple years ago. The commercial said, "Dr. Robert Jarvik, inventor of the artificial heart"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItwqWubgp7Q

... when he didn't invent the heart, anybody would rather have a baboon heart than his artificial heart, and he's not even licensed to practice medicine. I guess it's a dumb thing to brag about in the first place, though. Everybody knows that if somebody actually made an artificial heart that worked, there wouldn't be a few million people on waiting lists for heart transplants.
    Last edited by Raquel June; 12-06-2008 at 12:43 AM.

If there were a delete option that would be a lot easier.
    I collect eagles in many forms. Also an avid reader, though most of the time it's restricted to non-fiction; several magazines and at least 50 newspapers (on line) a day.

collector = pack rat

Coca Cola memorabilia, Hallmark Star Trek Ornaments, old technical manuals, international stamps (ebay shopping has bonus'), old fishing reels, random Matchbox cars and other mech minatures ... just off the top of my head.

There is absolutely no evidence that we are more or less intelligent than the rest of the population.

As far as intelegence goes, I guess I am o.k. but at the end of the day I really don't care. I am an engineer (fire protection engineer) and a P.E., so somewhere along the line I guess I ended up putting down the correct answers on a few tests

Yes, I am also a collector as many of you are. My collecting passions evolve from both my chosen profession and my other side, my femme self. I am a stamp collector and have two serious specialized topical collections in fire fighting and dance (ballet). I also collect fire apparatus/fire fighting books and dance (ballet) books. Finally, I have a pretty large and extensive collection of die cast fire trucks in all scales, mainly 1/64 scale. Of course, we will not speak of the collection of clothing in my closets and in my dresser drawers . I also like my toys which i continue "need" for projects around the house and these come from (in no particular order) Dewalt, Ryobi, Makita, and Craftsman. ----I am currently working on a rather large dispaly cabnit for my family room to dispaly all the fire trucks under one roof.

I read so much for work that I really don't read novels for pleasure. I do subscribe to and read frequently a number of professional journals and magazines related to my hobbies.

Sarah[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

"Sport is for men.......But Ballet is for women" ---- George Balenchine

I've never heard those 'stereotypes' before. Sounds like a CD version of an urban legend to me (smile). What other CD 'myths' are there?

But, since I just got back from a business trip, I'll play the game.

IQ - Doesn't matter. But, my wife and I were both card-carrying members of Mensa in school (forgive me it was a long time ago, I was young and shallow)

Collections - I collect lots of things ... toy soldiers, superman comics (yes, I really do), antiquarian books, books on film propaganda, propaganda posters, chess sets.

Hugs
    Susan