Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We are not Girls we are Gurls

Well I seem to have offended a lot of people in this thread... and all I can do is openly apologise... I have a young daughter, to me she is a 'young lady'... and it gets on my nerves when CD's say they are 'girls'... you are not, you are either young ladies, or women... that's how I view you... not girls... and gurls is just silly...
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

I am NOT a junior sob sob Edwina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;
    Hi Gurls how can you be a "girl" if you wasn't born as one so in Aussie we use the adopted term Gurl so you can wear Girls clothes but they go onto a Gurl so give me the comments
    But then again you call coffee with milk "a flat white"

"Grannie" Edwina

Banned Read only
    Just don't call me late for dinner. Or tucker.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Some can, some can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Croft View Post
    Well I seem to have offended a lot of people in this thread... and all I can do is openly apologise... I have a young daughter, to me she is a 'young lady'... and it gets on my nerves when CD's say they are 'girls'... you are not, you are either young ladies, or women... that's how I view you... not girls... and gurls is just silly...
    Grabbed Frame 197-1.JPG

Some of us can PRETEND to be girls if we like!

After all, aren't ALL OF US PRETENDING ANYWAY?

Personally, I don't care WHAT u call me, but aren't u splitting hairs here?
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 01-13-2009 at 01:41 AM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Personally, I don't care WHAT u call me, but aren't u splitting hairs here?
    How about barbie? and splitting hairs.. how so? we do have 'young ladies' do we not?
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Banned Read only

I'm a guy

You didn't offend me I perfer to be called a guy or a man...

« тнε тεмртяεss »
    you are either young ladies, or women... that's how I view you... not girls... and gurls is just silly...
    100% agreed. I HATE those terms...especially the latter... >_<;;

Quote Originally Posted by curse within View Post
    You didn't offend me I perfer to be called a guy or a man...
    Ditto me in on that one.

I do see two different things going on here when we talk labels like this. If you are a MTF CDer we are guys. And pretend to be what ever you want to be. If you are a MTF TS, well then I understand a bit more the wanting to mix your labels like woman with in a male body. And I am going to be like society and ignore all of the grey area in the middle.

I am just a guy to likes to clothe my male self with masculine and feminine clothing to match my masculine and feminine traits, personalities, and feelings. There is no one single label that fits that. Except for maybe MTF CDer.

kim
    joe in a skirt
    KimberlyS-CD
    joe in a skirt. Being myself not trying to be some other CDer
    Just trying to find a balance for my son and myself.

Standard disclaimer: Going out of the house was right for me, it may or may not be right for you. If you've got no desire to leave the house, that's fine, I'm not trying to push you out the door. But for those who've been yearning to do so, I just want to let you know the world may not be as scary a place as you think.

It wouold seem to be kind of whatever you want. I kow GG's that call then=mselves girl, gal, - actually don't hear a lot call themselves women. I kind of like the term gurl because when it is spoken it sounds like girl. I don't attach any nrgatives to the term at all. The term "girl" does not connote, to me, any negative or insult. Instead it seems cute and I'd rather be called that than some of the terms I have heard used for women. Relax ladies. Life's to short. Chill.
    Dawn

I bet spell check is having a breakdown with this thread. Lets keep it in jest so we all can have a litle fun.

Stephanie Michelle

I am just a man who prefers to wear female clothing for the beautiful feeling it gives. I don't like to be called a girl, gal, gurl,lady or woman except when somebody defers to me calling me 'Ma'am' when I'm in female mode and 'pass' which unfortunately doesn't happen often .

Just a guy in a dress here, LoL
    WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects, or any other purpose - YOU DO NOT HAVE MY PERMISSION To Use Any Of My Profile Or Pictures In Any Form Or Forum Both Current And Future.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaytojillian/

Well, call me anything but "late for dinner." After all, all girls, gurls (or guys) just love to have lu-unch (as Weird Al would say).
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Those of us that have a femme side to their personalities will never really be female, but we derive some comfort from expressing that inner femininity in whatever ways we are able. Part of that comfort, for many of us, comes from use of feminine pronouns when we are en femme. In that mode, it is very hurtful to be referred to as "a man in a dress," which is sadly common even among supposedly supportive SO's.

Is jabbing the needle in just because that's "how you view us" really necessary?
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]Bobbi Joseph
    sig removed - against forum rules

Quote Originally Posted by BobbiJ View Post
    . Part of that comfort, for many of us, comes from use of feminine pronouns when we are en femme. In that mode, it is very hurtful to be referred to as "a man in a dress," which is sadly common even among supposedly supportive SO's.

Is jabbing the needle in just because that's "how you view us" really necessary?
    from a GG viewpont it is extremely hurtful to be continually told that we are not dressing in "THE CORRECT MODE FOR FEMALES" and this happens time and time again from CDR's, and many cdr's on here refer to themselves as " A man in a Dress " I know Debs does
    I allow myself to set healthy boundaries ..... to say no to what does not align with my values, to say yes to what does.
    Boundaries assist me to remain healthy, honest and living a life that is true to me

Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    from a GG viewpont it is extremely hurtful to be continually told that we are not dressing in "THE CORRECT MODE FOR FEMALES" and this happens time and time again from CDR's, and many cdr's on here refer to themselves as " A man in a Dress " I know Debs does
    "Correct mode for females?"

That had GOT to be one of the most hypocritical things a CD could ever say.

If we seek the freedom to express our inner selves in ways not considered "appropriate" for men by society, then we must also allow that women have the same freedom to dress in any manner THEY see fit.

Isn't the whole point of all this that "correct modes" are artificial constructs that serve only to restrict us from expressing who we are?

If any given CD wished to refer to themselves as a man in a dress, that is his choice. That doesn't mean it's okay to use the same term on those if us that don't.
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]Bobbi Joseph
    sig removed - against forum rules

I have been call several things on here so far and not one of them sounded anything like "Girl or Gurl "
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

As my Dad used to tell us when we were young, 'fight nice kids'

Well in Australia, you might ge a GURL, but in the SOUTH part of the USA, we like to call ourselves GIRLS and Southern BELLES and we love to be FEMININE
    Judy my thoughts,
    JoAnne Wheeler

I believe sometimes it's very difficult for anyone who wasn't raised as a female to understand how certain words, stereotypes, or unrealistic societal expectations affect women. The term girl, no matter how you spell it, is often used in conversation to lessen the value of a woman. Maybe it's not even a conscious act, but the ramifications of it are not lessened according to level of intent.

Personal experience: I was invited to a private networking event by a professor. He invited six of us, his star students, to the gathering and took time to walk each of us around and introduce us to the professionals present. Each time he introduced one of the male students, he referred to them as young men, but he referred to me as "and this girl here is...." In that nanosecond he took me from being an equal to my fellow male students and turned me into a prepubescent child. Someone to be looked over, but not taken seriously.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbiJ View Post
    Part of that comfort, for many of us, comes from use of feminine pronouns when we are en femme. In that mode, it is very hurtful to be referred to as "a man in a dress," which is sadly common even among supposedly supportive SO's.

When you have a vagina, uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, and all the rest, you can legitimately expect people to call you a woman.

Until then, I suspect you are not.

I can run around believing I'm the tooth fairy, but until I actually sprout wings and fly, I'd just be a man in a fairy suit.

So.... I'm just wondering what's wrong with reality?

Tamara, as one who was offended, I appreciate your apology.

Interestingly, about the use of "girl", I think it's all about context as well. I already explained the basis for my original response to this thread and since then, I replied to a friend's email who made a computer reference. My response to her was "yes, I'm an Apple girl". It came out a lot more naturally than "Apple woman", kind of like what someone mentioned before, "Girls Night Out".

"Girl" is not a term I abuse, just one which comes out here and there depending on the situation and context.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I don't personally care for any of those terms like gyrls, gurls, womyn (that was a new one). Those spellings actually kind of disgust me. The term girl (like for Girls' Night Out) or lady or any of the typical femme terms are fine to me when I'm dressed. I'm a CD or a TV, or even a TG. We are transgendered. The fake labels are, to me, just revolting.

Banned Read only battybattybats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MissConstrued View Post
    When you have a vagina, uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, and all the rest, you can legitimately expect people to call you a woman.

Until then, I suspect you are not.

I can run around believing I'm the tooth fairy, but until I actually sprout wings and fly, I'd just be a man in a fairy suit.

So.... I'm just wondering what's wrong with reality?
    Sigh. Go read this: http://aebrain.blogspot.com/2008/06/...and-brain.html

You'll find plenty else on the site. Fact is many transexuals literally have female-brain anatomy! Plenty of Intersex people have female chromasomes but male anatomy and vice-versa. XXY people, XYY people, AIS, ovatestes and microphaluses....

There is no true definition of male or female! Just strong averages! Organs, neurology, chromasomes, none of it is foolproof!

As for the use of the word 'girls'...

Almost no-one i know uses the term woman or man to refer to anyone of their own age group or lower, only to people far more than 10 years older than themselves. Part of the last several generations youth-obsession I suspect.

Go Batty!

I'll just add, to some especially early stage people "girl" would be appropriate in that they're just starting into womanhood, it having been suppressed and having had opposing upbringing previous. Going through a sort of teen phase before reaching mature womanhood, if they ever do, depending on how much female they are to begin with.

And the word can be used to belittle, but you shouldn't automatically assume or feel (try not to unless you can clearly see it is) it's meant to.