I think it's the idea of a man presenting as female. Many men are to a greater or lesser degree afraid of being attracted to another man. Men trying to appear like women only heighten the fear that one day they will be attracted to a woman only to discover "she" is male. As for women, though I never thought about it, I liked the idea presented earlier that we are stepping on women's toes so to speak and there is probably some perception that we or doing it for reasons that would be disapproved of (attracting men to a homosexual encounter or deriving some deviate sexual pleasure). I would guess the thought process goes like this; we are using women's appearance (which we are) and it is assumed we are doing it for negative reasons (which in general we are not) and possibly giving anyone who looks like a woman a bad name or at least make people question the motives or someone who appears female.

My random theories aside.. My fiance and i discussed it (she's not a fan but we are still together). Her concerns were that I was only doing it to attract men and that I would end up eventually either being gay or wanting to transition and she would lose the relationship. Also she feared that she wasn't attracted to someone feminine and that may damage the relationship.

The only other thing I will add is that in general more understanding would seem to be a good thing but visceral emotional attitudes toward things are very hard to change with education. (racism and homophobia are alive and well despite strong movements to counter them)

my 1.5 cents. ( I someday hope to have and opinion worth 2 cents.)