Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bathroom/Restroom Etiquet/State Laws

I pull it up to my wait as said above and some times I wrap part of it around my arm so I know it's not on the floor or in the toilet. Skirts are the same unless you have a very short skirt then it's easier. If you take of your dress that could be a prob. Plus of course you MUST sit and pee, But thats common sense lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC].....................100% Authentic Canadian Cross-dressing Truckdriver!!!!!!!!!

(((((((((((((((((((("I LOVE BEING A CROSSDRESSER")))))))))))))))))))

Link to My 20th high school reunion http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...d.php?t=112976

If you don't like my (honesty) well TFB.

Men are just a single celled orgasm , In a petri dish held by a woman. (Gene Simmons)

LIke others here, I always use the ladies' loo when dressed and have never had a problem. (Once I got this smile and wink from a butch type -- I think she was hitting on me!) It's funny, but like Diane I am uncomfortable in a men's room. I've always preferred to pee sitting down. I try to direct the stream so that the tinkle can be heard, and always use toilet paper ... just like the other ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    And make sure it stays out of the toilet!!!
    .. and this takes practice with a long skirt!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

U.S. Jurisdictions with Policies Regarding Restroom and Gender Specific Facilities

Colorado
    transgender people are not required to “prove” they are transgender to use gender-segregated facilities

Maine
    The Maine Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination in public accommodations, such as restaurants, based on, among other factors, gender identity or expressio

Iowa
    trans people must be allowed to use the restrooms that match their gender identity

Rhode Island
    11-24-2. Discriminatory practices prohibited:
    No person,, of any place of public accommodation, resort, shall directly or indirectly refuse,, any of the accommodations, advantages, facilities, or privileges of that public place,, to any person on account of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,

Florida
    Discrimination in places of public accommodation.
    All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and
    accommodations of any place of public accommodation, inn, hotel, motel, restaurant, bar, establishments serving food or drink, bakery, grocery store, clothing store, beauty shop, travel service, park, zoo, amusement park, etc, etc...
    Private or Public enterprises may not refuse service based upon race, creed, color, sex, physical, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression

Washington State
    restroom access is to be afforded to individuals based on the gender a person asserts, or their gender identity

Washington DC
    access should be based on a person’s gender identity or expression

Some cities, dated ordinances that ban people from using public restroom facilities “designated for the opposite sex.”
    These ordinances are the exception rather than the rule, and — where they do exist — are rarely enforced.
    While it is appropriate for transgender people to use restrooms that match their gender identity, remember to prioritize your own safety and be aware of the possibility of police harassment.
    If you are arrested or cited due to public restroom usage, contact Lambda Legal right away.
    http://www.lambdalegal.org/nhq

*Note*
    Many states have pending legislation, scroll down and keep check on your state, many are not listed as this list is a year or so old. Click HERE

I know there are many states that have similar codes, if it's ok, when someone finds one, I'll c&p it here at the top so folks won't have to search.

If we get a comprehensive list, maybe it'll get a "sticky" status
    Last edited by Yolanda_Voils; 05-09-2011 at 09:51 PM.

When en femme I use the Lady's room. I have been lucky enough to bring a few GG's into the fold and they've been more than supportive and helpful and helped me when I first started going out in public. But the first time I went out in public (to the movies, to be exact), the I was so excited/nervous the bathroom thing didn't even cross my mind, and I foolishly drank the movie theater's jumbozilla, bucket of soda during a three hour movie. I was completely terrified! And when I got to the rest room and saw it was actually fairly busy I started weighing my options. (Can I hold it for another hour and a half? Suuuure. Maybe I'll just stand in this corner and stare at this movie poster until it gets less busy). To make a long story short I sucked it up and went in, did my business and rejoined my friend with nary a second glance. Since then using the Lady's Room has been second nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle_cd2006 View Post
    Thanks, I forgot to add that little note and make sure not to get it caught in your panties when you pull them up.
    .... done *that*. Did manage to catch it before exiting the ladies room, but felt like I should have had the "rookie" sign on my forehead.
    [SIZE="3"]Ali[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]"You're as beautiful as you feel"... Carole King[/SIZE]

Use the restroom for the gender your dressed. Don't make a big deal of it. Go in do your business and leave.
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by LisaDee View Post
    Use the restroom for the gender your dressed. Don't make a big deal of it. Go in do your business and leave.
    I agree, thats what I do.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

the happy camper
    Quote Originally Posted by AlisonRenee View Post
    .... done *that*. Did manage to catch it before exiting the ladies room, but felt like I should have had the "rookie" sign on my forehead.
    I wore a black skirt and corset to a Halloween party last year. The corset had a tie in the front as well as the back. The strings were rather long, and I didn't think to cut them off shorter, so they hung down pretty far. I went to the bathroom, and somehow managed to get the strings caught in my panties but over the top of my skirt. I didn't realize it until I came out and noticed there was a problem with the skirt. I started pulling on the string, and that's when I realized where the other end of it was. There were three or four people standing around as I attempted to make the adjustment, each one trying to be more witty than the next in their remarks.

It's always good to be among friends.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Exclamation I've been told:

At the SCC in Atlanta:
    Use the restroom of the gender u r presenting.

At Disneyland:
    (By their staff). Do NOT get caught in a womens restroom!

At the DLV:
    Use the restroom of the gender you're presenting. But also, USE COMMON SENSE! Because that mite NOT be a good idea! Depending on where u r and the circumstances!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Bethany McCarty
    Legally, this question is complicated as there is no right answer, In arizona a few years back they arrested a cd for using the women's restroom in a hospital {there position was that is was a type of fraud. In reality you should try to go as the gender you are dressed but use the family restroom when you can. No that there is no universally correct answer

The few times I went out in public en femme, I was at a business conference in LA and went en femme. First off, my heart was pounding like crazy because there was a 10 year gap between outings en femme and it was very exciting yet scary to be out in public en femme. I think I am passable but there were a few ladies that did double takes of me (I was dressed in a pencil skirt and blouse with pumps... nothing too loud) anyways, while I was at the Staples center I had to use the rest room a few times.

After the initial rush from being out in public, taking public transportation etc, using the women's restroom was even more intense. I know California law protects Gals like us but there is always a chance someone would cause problems. I steeled myself, I went in with a confident stroll. I used the bathroom (which btw had nicer facilities then the mens room) I freshened up my make up and none of the ladies in there even batted an eyelash at me. The only shocking instance is when a lady rushed in and bumped into me. She apologized and I said "Thats ok" in a not so good femme voice. I did get a double take from that one but everything else was fine and it was both a thrilling and freeing experience to be out in public, being able to use the ladies rest room and feel totally like a lady

Here is a source for information in California: http://transgenderlawcenter.org/cms/...-campaign-sbac

I can't find the right link, but I do know that the law regarding gender expression in regard to public restrooms in New Jersey has been on the books since 2006:
    http://www.martindale.com/labor-empl...LLP_316840.htm

Cool! ...... Crossdressers can legally use the womens room, not just transitioned TS.

City regulations in Boston, Cambridge, and North Hampton Massachusetts protect transgendered rights and allow bathroom use for the gender you are presenting. We are still pushing for a state wide law up on Beacon Hill.
    Sally

What Me Worry
    What great information I wonder where the Tar Heel state is on this issue.
    To Dream The Impossible Dream.
    Full Time 10/1/2012

Maybe I'm the only one here who does, but I always use the men's room and go into a stall with a closeable door. I've never got any grief for doing this in 17 years of being out. I don't want to run the risk of freaking any woman or child out.

I found this site that offers a nice comprehensive review of the topic
    http://www.transgenderlaw.org/ndlaws/index.htm

I had not seen it before but found it helpful!

April

Very Useful Info

As one who has only recently found the nerve to go out, I had wondered how I was going to handle this issue. Thank you, Forum, for some good, and timely, advice.

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar

Stand or sit?

Here's a silly little question: How do you prefer to pee...sitting or standing? I really think that mini skirts are more suited to a man's anatomy. No zippers to get caught in; just lift it up a little and go. It's much easier to relieve yourself (standing) while wearing a skirt instead of pants. Anyhow, I was just wondering which most of us prefer. I still go while standing...one of the benefits of being a GM (and we get to write our names in the snow...lol!).
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

bobbie sue
    Hi i always sit it is the womanly thing to do

Quote Originally Posted by prettytoes View Post
    Here's a silly little question: How do you prefer to pee...sitting or standing? I really think that mini skirts are more suited to a man's anatomy. No zippers to get caught in; just lift it up a little and go. It's much easier to relieve yourself (standing) while wearing a skirt instead of pants. Anyhow, I was just wondering which most of us prefer. I still go while standing...one of the benefits of being a GM (and we get to write our names in the snow...lol!).
    In many ways, it's hard for a male to appear as a female, but sitting to pee is about the simplest there is. I sit.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Very Infrequent Visitor KimMcNelis's Avatar
    I use the restroom that matches the gender I'm presenting. When presenting en femme, I will ALWAYS sit to go potty. It's a lot about attitude; if you are calm and simply act like you are any other woman ready to go to the bathroom and then leave (after washing your hands, of course), then it's not likely to be a big deal. I've used restrooms (toilets, washrooms, water closets) all over the world while cross-dressed; mostly in the USA though. I imagine how 'passable' one is makes a difference, but again I think it's also attitude.

As someone else mentioned, the http://safe2pee.org/ site can be helpful I think.

So many public restrooms are just plain disgusting. Men's rooms creep me out. Always have. If I look too butch for the Ladies I usually just try and hold it until I get home or find a really clean unisex.

Do check out SitOrSquat.com

On the sit or stand question I say neither: hover!
    Last edited by gerigirl; 05-23-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gerigirl View Post
    say neither: hover!
    Think the girls would get mad if i walked in the gals bathroom, hiked up my skirt and pee'd in the sink while i fixed my eyeliner?

:P

I usually use the one I am dressed as.

However, I have used the womans room before when dressed as a man; once by accident and a few times because there was no wait for the womans. I have never used the mens before when I was dressed. However, if there is a long line for the woman's and I have to go, rest assured I will use the mens (and visa versa).
    - AF

Look girl, act girl, feel girl ... be girl.