Thread: How common is it for a TG to have a sibling that also has gender challenges?

How common is it for a TG to have a sibling that also has gender challenges?

I'm wondering if any of you would know how common it is for a TG to have a sibling, particularly of the same sex, that also has gender challenges, be it TG, Gender Identity Disorder, etc.?

hiya Stefia,

According to my statistical calculations...12.5 out of every 4 TGs have a sibling with gender issues. But that is really just a personal guess. I never was very good at math...

Most of us are still trying to find the basic stats, like how many of us exist.
    But if you like fishing around for hours...if the information is available, it is probably in this index somewhere...

http://guides.lib.umich.edu/content....017&sid=253054

(click on the little "here" link in the reference to National Transgender Library statement that is just below the weird gender logo)
    Last edited by eluuzion; 05-12-2011 at 06:12 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aspiring Member
    Stefia, my sister is intersexed. I dunno how this relates to my own TG nature, but I'd be real surprised if it was a concidence.

I also have a TS friend with a brother who is TG himself.

So is this common in sibblings? Hard to say, since just like Eluuzion said, we don't even know how many of us there are. It's not easy to come up with numbers when definitions are open to interpretation and lot of the people being sought don't want to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by eluuzion View Post
    hiya Stefia,

According to my statistical calculations...6 out of every 4 TGs have a sibling with gender issues. But that is really just a personal guess. I never was very good at math...

Most of us are still trying to find the basic stats, like how many of us exist.
    But if you like fishing around for hours...if the information is available, it is probably in this index somewhere...

http://guides.lib.umich.edu/content....017&sid=253054

(click on the little "here" link in the reference to National Transgender Library statement that is just below the weird gender logo)
    Should that not read 4 out of every 6. I think that is an extrememly high figure and not the case. I would think it is on the same percentage as having two siblings being gay which again would not be anywhere near 4 out of 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicky_Scot View Post
    Should that not read 4 out of every 6. I think that is an extrememly high figure and not the case. I would think it is on the same percentage as having two siblings being gay which again would not be anywhere near 4 out of 6.
    Thanks for catching that! I edited my numbers to clarify my meaning. According to my stafishsticks, which is recorded on a disposable make-up remover wipe with an eyebrow pencil, the numbers I have for two gay siblings is 17.5 out of every 3, not counting the ones that deny being gay. So my fingers are probably a little shorter than other peoples'. But I make up for it in other areas...

"Sarcasm...just another service I offer..."

ps...My posts were a joke. I guess you had to be there...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think all my siblings, and father, and some deceased aunts and uncles, all have , or had bigtime issues in sexuality and gender.

I don't know any of my relatives that have issues with gender, but one aunt and cousin on my mom's side are both lesbians. And one cousin on my dad's side is gay.

Well it is hard to say, while all of my male relatives do dress I don't know of any of them that dress as women. But then they would say the same thing about me. Most of us don't tell or relatives, and it's not likely they would tell me. It's the same reason that we have no real idea of just how many of us there are, because so many of us stay hidden for life.
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

I have a cousin and a nephew that are gay and my daughter who is over 50 and never married and didn't date much when she was younger. Society probably wonders about her but I don't. Now, there are some relatives that are really strange but none that I know of are TG.
    Vivian

Got one here! Have known since we were in grade school.

So many people are closeted due to the stigma attached to any sexual deviation from what people consider normal that you'll never get an accurate figure. Though, I'm sure it happens occasionally. Just like anything else.
    Edit: How about a thread asking how many of us have straight siblings and relatives? Or would that throw a wrench in the works? I think a whole lot of people feel guilty about this and look for someone or something else to blame the gender 'issue' on.
    [SIZE="4"]Repeat after me: It's not my fault. It's not good, it's not bad, It just, well, is.[/SIZE]
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 05-20-2011 at 11:26 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Yes, but is it Nature or Nurture? Around here we have seen a lot of replies that claim a sibling or relative was transgendered. But that's called anecdotal evidence. It isn't based on any type of experimentation or even statistical research. Yes, I know that Ellie has given us some "interesting" statistics no doubt published by that Reputable Source of Winkin', Blinkin', and Nod; but golly, there's never been any type of genetic link found, nor anything like it.

For everyone WITH some type of familial link, I can site you hundreds of TG Folk who like myself never found, noticed, or suspected anything in their own families. Of course, "that don't prove nothin' either!"

Speculate all you like, but it will probably always remain as speculation. Finding a link like this will probably always be sought and desired, "Hey it's not my fault, it runs in my family," but don't count on this happening. Tell you what? For anyone who truly believes that there is A Link. Go ahead, attend Uni, get a Doctoral Degree, apply for Grants, and do The Research! You will become A Mega-Heroine within The Community, and Tenure can be a wonderful thing!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Semi Sane innocent angel
    I've met lots of trans folks and I can say I only know of one case of two MtF TS in one family .
    Business is the the art of extracting money from another mans wallet with out resorting to violence

9 out of 10 Dr say I'm sane. The 10th one never made it to the hearing. Did you know that California has drop bears ?

First a groom then a bride. Never again.

I don't think it follows any particular pattern Stef, it just "is".
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    My sister is gay. I am not interested in men, nor do I desire a complete transformation. I just enjoy the soft, pretty, silky, (etc, etc, etc) clothing. I also have thoughts that my father crossdressed. There are some things that I never thought about until recently that led me to this possible conclusion.
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

Thumbs up

In 92 I came out to my family. In 98 my sister told me and only me at the time she was Bi. Now she knows she is fully gay. She wanted to know how I told our Mom and Dad. Then about 2 Or so years later after my sister came out to everyone my uncle told (again) only me that he love to wear lingerie under his clothes but done's not want to dress all the way like me. He also has got into high heals.

So does that mean it runs in the family....I would say it can but not for everyone. Now my uncle is my mons brother and I have not heard anything from my dads side of he family. So it's possible but we'll never know until it's and accepted as vein gay had become nowadays. Until that time we won't even know how many TGs are out there. I think it's one in ten but that's just my
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC].....................100% Authentic Canadian Cross-dressing Truckdriver!!!!!!!!!

(((((((((((((((((((("I LOVE BEING A CROSSDRESSER")))))))))))))))))))

Link to My 20th high school reunion http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...d.php?t=112976

If you don't like my (honesty) well TFB.

Men are just a single celled orgasm , In a petri dish held by a woman. (Gene Simmons)