Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Understanding TS vs CD

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar

Understanding TS vs CD

Hope this wont be to long but since joining here almost a year ago Ive been trying to understand those here who choose to go the TS route and HRT and all that. You see Ive never given thought to it other than briefly way back in my life when I thought maybe I should have been a girl. Going through counseling I realized that was not the case and since then even understand in reality to truly become a women is not possible.
    However as I read here many of those threads so many here seem to go through this process and knowing how difficult it is still go ahead with it.
    So I guess for me I dont really understand why you feel this desire to change how you were born, and dont get me wrong I know its not just something you wake up with like a head cold,its a very deep personal journey.
    You see I try and look at everyone as one who is to be loved no matter there circumstance or situation, many of you know Ive faced a lot of issues with my dressing and trying to stop it for better or worse but have tried now to balance it better.
    Many here also know Im a person of faith and no I will not discuss that here but feel free to pm me if you like. I just feel we all here have a decision to make are we going to learn to live with what we have or do we have to alter who we are by taking chemicals or what have you. I again want to understand Im not trying to say anyone here is wrong.
    I want to be able to see people for who they are and love them interact with them no matter what.
    I hope no one here takes offense to this because this for me is all about education.
    Thanks for letting me ramble on have a great day.
    Leigh

I am not Transition, tho I would like to, it not a mater of alter who we are, its a matter of change to what we are, to match the body to the mind. I have heard it said, not so much here, you can never be a real girl. I am all ready a real girl, I just need that body to match the mind. Being raised a boy, makes it harder for us, but none the less you can't change who we are. You can't become the real you.
    Last edited by Annaliese; 08-28-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: adding

Hi Leigh, It makes a big difference when we truly get to know ourselves and who we are. When I was very young I always felt I wanted to be a girl as my behavior and desires seemed to gravitate towards genetic girls and the things they did.To look like a girl I wore girls clothes when I could. At the same time I was a "roll in the dirt rough and tumble" young boy. I secretly considered myself a female who was a tom boy though. Even back then you might say I was my own unique person and it didn't set well with me at all to bend to the will of the crowd. As things continued I felt that I needed to get a "sex change" as they called it back then and quite a few men had successfully accomplished that. That being the case I was determined to get the operation after I got out of the Army.

Before I did that, however, I met a woman and got married and decided to give the guy thing a chance. It was okay for awhile but despite raising three kids the CDing came back and was there all through my marriage. I went to a number of therapists but never about the CDing itself, rather trying to figure out how to deal with family and friends that did have a problem with it. I finally ended up living it by dressing 24/7 for almost half a year which in effect ended my marriage as well. Even so I realized I didn't need to transition to express my feelings as I was no longer afraid or ashamed of them. So at this point I can present as a guy or girl and it's all according to my own choice. With TS folks I'm told however that they have no choice but to transition. That to myself is the biggest difference.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Some things I learned from the girls on this site:

I'm not TS. Altho I once thot I was. I'm a CD.

There r VERY MANY TS's that do not transition. And, there r a zillion reasons why they don't. Every person here has their own!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I wish I could explain it is simple terms. I wish there was a way to convey how or why. There isn't.

I guess the real answer is, it is because of who we are and how we feel about our lives. I cannot possibly speak for the thousands out there going through this. But one day I woke up and said "You have only one person to be responsible to. Life is short and you don't know when it will end." I decided I needed to be happy (something I now question, because it seems my life is about keeping others happy at my expense...). But I won't quit, it is who I am. Even with all the train wrecks that occurred when I chose to continue, being me is far more important than what others think.

We have to be true to ourselves. At the end of the day we have to look at ourselves and see who we are and be happy. My mistake was waiting, and don't get that wrong I had a wonderful life. But years went by with me thinking I didn't need to I could just push it away. I didn't realize how unhappy I was inside until I decided to "come out". Could I have gone on? Yes I could have. Can I go back, no because I now see how I should be.

On the broad spectrum of TGizm (and don't start arguing with me on semantics, read the sticky about definitions and that is what I am going by), I knew for years that I was different inside. I thought CD would be good, it wasn't what I needed. When I dressed and went out things changed and everyone around me could see it. When you are close to something you tend to not see what the big picture is. I don't really care where on the spectrum others are, it doesn't matter how they see themselves. They are who they are. But I am a TS. I would love to be a post-op TS but there are obstacles that stand in the way; ones I am unwilling to tackle at this time (money and age...I know I won't get younger).

So how do we explain why we do what we do? I don't know. Why is the sky blue or the water wet? Why do you like red or blue but not Yellow? Why are you attracted to certain traits in a mate? You can say "because I like it" but that doesn't explain it. There are some things in life you just need to go with your gut on. I know I am happier as me. It came it a cost though as it always does. Us who have decided to follow that path decided what we are willing to give. No one gets through it unscathed. But we have to do it.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

The thing is, I see a lot of discussion about how there's a distinct line between being transgender and "just a crossdresser". What astonishes me is that those I've talked to those who are transgender and they don't even make a distinction between being transgender and being just a cross dresser. I know some transgender girls who simply decided one day that they wanted to be a girl, a few weeks later they're on HRT. While that's not very common, it blew me away to know they went through that process so quickly. What even amazes me more is how I go out presenting female more often than some transgender girls I know who have been on HRT for months. People often see HRT as the line you cross that really starts transitioning, but the thing is, HRT is only one part of a much bigger change. I consider myself transgender and a crossdresser and I pretty much stand with feet on both sides. Being a cross dresser doesn't mean you ARE trans, but being trans doesn't mean you cross dresser. They're neither inclusive or exclusive.

With all that said, I consider myself as bigender, part of the transgender pool. I could be happy transitioning, but I am also happy not transitioning. I know a girl who lives full time as a female and isn't on any hormones and lives quite successfully as such. I think the true transition is moving away from an identity that's bound by social stigmas and self shame and more into full acceptance and expressing yourself in a manner that you feel comfortable. I don't think it's defined by how you look, but more so how you live and isn't bound to people who identify completely as the opposite gender.

Silver Member
    So I guess for me I dont really understand why you feel this desire to change how you were born,
    Transitioning to me was accepting the way I was born.

Prior to that I always felt like I was living a lie because I was not really a guy.

Leigh I now understand your response to my post in TS section concerning my insurance covering HRT and SRS. I disagree with you in that it is possible for me to be a woman. I have fought it all my life and I am now moving toward being the real me. Which is a beautiful complicated person that identifies as a woman. I am balancing my future decisions about hormones and surgery with my family's needs. I am in many ways a real woman and will increasingly look like one. I too am a person of faith. He has been with me every step of this journey.

I wanted Crossdressing to be enough. However, it is not. Once I let go of the suppression the need to be me was overwhelming. Each next step toward transition has called for another. I have done this in conjunction with both my therapist and psychiatrist. Both of who believe and support that I will fully transition. I love all of the women I have met here on the crossdressing portion of the site. I still want to be part of the community. I also want to be here for the person who realizes they need more than occasional dressing. Though rare, it does happen.

Anyway that is my little rant!
    Suzanne

Banned Read only
    Q: "What's the difference between a crossdresser and a transsexual?"
    A: "About 3 years..."

OK, so that's an old joke.

On some level, I always identified as being a girl. I played with girls, mostly, I didn't understand why my parts were different from a girls. I didn't like myself or my body - at all. I crossdressed from about 10 years old on. Unfortunately, I knew I couldn't possibly be a girl, because everyone told me I wasn't, and all the evidence suggested that I was male. I mean - I had guy parts, started developing body hair, and other things that freaked me out. I was told though that people who felt as I did were some kind of horrible perverts.

Then I heard about the early trans women who underwent gender reassignment surgery. I was really attracted to this idea - but it seemed like something only the very wealthy could aspire to.

By the end of highschool, I was so miserable and hated myself so much that I wanted to die. I thought about suicide a lot. I desperately wanted to be a woman. That seemed impossible, so I tried plan A - alcohol. I drank, a lot.

Years later, I got sober, still didn't deal with my gender identity, and swore off those thoughts forever. That lasted for a while, and I remarried.

Unfortunately it didn't last forever, and by last year I was ready to kill myself again. So I gave up trying to be a man, and accepted myself as a woman, and began my transition.

My gender has been a lifelong source of mental and emotional anguish for me. It's a LOT better now.

So I guess that's the difference a TS vs a CD. I needed to transition, or I'd surely have died at my own hand. A CD doesn't.

You are a crossdresser if you experience women as "the other gender". This is a very male thing to do. In general men who are not misogynisitic and who are or have been sexually interested in women relate to them in very specific ways.

I cannot imagine someone who hates women being a crossdresser. Men who crossdress seem to idolize women. Crossdressing seems to be almost a form of worship but where the person uses their own body attempting to turn it into an alter.

Crossdressers are chasing after something they want to capture . Transsexuals are not chasing but being pursued as if they are being haunted.

I constantly tried to escape my actual gender identity. I moved away from what I knew I was because I did not want to deal with the consequences if I accepted what I knew to be true.

I have always related to women as a woman and never as a man. Crossdressers are clearly men and you see it in their adoration of women.

Certain men really torment themselves when it comes to hurting a woman and you see this very clearly in their guilt.

It is instinctive in men to protect women. This instinct is missing in me because being a transsexual means that you do not share in the same instincts that men do so my guilt and motivations are very different from men.

Being a woman or a man starts in the most primitive parts of the brain. My brain at a primitive level works like a womans brain does.

Transsexuals are guided by the same instincts that women are guided by. Men operate on instincts very specific to the male gender and this influences their behavior toward women.

Perhaps it is the worship of feminine beauty mixed in with the love of women as mothers, sisters and wives.

I have never idolized women and for a long time I was not sure I even particularly liked them but that was coming out of the pain of my gender dysphoria.

Men are willing to die for women. I have never had this urge because I have never experienced women as "the other gender"

I experienced women as equal (sameness) to me and not different. Men don't do this. Men very much see women as being different from them and this is very important to men.

It is easy to know what you are as your gender. All you have to do is compare yourself as your instinctual behavior to men and women.

Crossdressers talk about how dressing calms them. Maybe because it calms their instincts as those relentless drives.
    The Psychology of Conformity
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARGczzoPASo

Mars brain, Venus brain: John Gray at TEDxBend
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuM7ZS7nodk

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyJameson View Post

Crossdressers are chasing after something they want to capture . Transsexuals are not chasing but being pursued as if they are being haunted.
    Wow, your entire post is really enlightening and honestly, you should write a book about this stuff! I think many a wife would read it and feel empowered to understand all this. The quote above really hit home for me as this is my H. He WORSHIPS women. He thinks we can't do any wrong and that females are the most beautiful humans alive. As his wife, I think he's nuts, lol. I know plenty of females who do wrong every day and I sure don't put women on a pedestal. I actually find many are really annoying. My H doesn't understand this!. And you're right...it's like he's trying to capture something that he wants to fully possess but doesn't know how. He apparently never feels like a female when dressed, and the visual woman he creates turns him on and makes him happy. He basically wants a woman who will do what he wants when he wants and who is literally under his skin. This is the ultimate in worship, isn't it?

I think many who post here feel quite differently than this though, as I think TS is possibly quite common here? Even the way many write their posts here; it's like a fellow GG writing. I sense a kinship with women more than worship. I sometimes have to remind myself that I'm actually chatting to men and when I remember this, I freak out a little, lol.

Anyway, on a side note, I read something the other week that mentioned the male identified crossdresser is actually more masculine in appearance when crossdressed than not. Male features often stand out more in female clothing than male, and really, this can be true. Apparently (and this is just what I read!) many quietly enjoy this outcome as they KNOW they're male and that's pretty much the point - accentuating the gender/sex difference. I'd guess this is largely a sexual dresser thing. On the other side, I'd bet a trans CD would hate to be reminded of their masculinity (because it doesn't exist!) so surely that's the BIG difference, and this answers the OP's original question: People transition because they're correcting what is essentially a birth defect. These things can't be ignored - if the options are there to fix the defect...why wouldn't you?!

Always interesting topics here
    Last edited by Tinkerbell-GG; 08-29-2014 at 03:14 AM.

Hi,

Some times understanding comes with a price and some people dont wont to pay .

This is about acceptance and many dont wont to accept that for what ever reason some few of us world wide are in fact born different , Its not a to choose or a decision that i made, because i never wonted to be a female or a woman doubt i wonted to be a male ether,

any way i was born both did i transition nope how could i from what to something else , maybe i have a name for it , any way, no matter,

Yes i,v had quite a few surgerys over the years, hope fully no more .

To understand who i am is not so easy though many try just its like you see , you are born a full male or = female, most likely not a female , so how do you go about understanding why we are the way we are,

ill stay with how i think as a normal female would and does and i dont know any other way ,

I,v spent most of my life 57 out of 67 years looking at thinking why are men like they are and do what they do , thought i sort of had a good idear yet 21 years ago i knew nothing about men apart from what i had seen and been told, so really i knew nothing ,

Strange as i had two people say to me men , why dont i just dress as a male and be one .

oh Dear, so i said i am actauley a female i doubt he belived me so i tryed to explain though i doubted he,d accept because of his background so i just said i was born female just not a complete one and left it at that , most if not all my friends dont really care i dont look feminine or like a female should facial wise ,

..............THEY really dont care..............

They accept what and who i am as a person first and 2 nd as a normal female just because i cant have or would have liked to my own children does not change who i am .

I struggle with how i look , though you have to remember thats .....ONLY ..... one part of what makes me who i am i have lots of other aspects about my self that people and my many friends see they know me very well i work for some help them and spend a lot of time around them and with in our many groups ,

If it were not for the fact of they wont me around them and be involved they would have soon made it plain they did not wont me to be with in a mile of them , its just not the case,

I like the word desire in your words to change, did i oh, in what way surgerys dressingin womens clothes, or how i have grown in to being - becoming a woman , i had to grow, to be able to express myself in a way that was not possiable for much of my life ,

yet in small ways i did and that was picked up on by friends going back to the 60,s and they knew more about who i was than i did, they saw in me what i was, and later told me they knew i was female , and were not at all surprised that i was expressing who i was and becoming a normal woman.

Im an intersexed female, whos totaly insane weird as yet others see a normal woman who has lots about her self that they like being around, oh yea im usefull as well, with my background id have to be,,

Mentalally , Psychlogically , and Emotionally ,all female /woman , and a little extra of masculineity that makes up for some of my lacks ,

I would say were it possible for you to meet me face to face then as i interact with you in talking about different things youd pick up from my body language that i am who i say i am its not an act or put on youd find im real ,

and as you see past my facial features youd see ....not .....what is reflected in a mirror, just a normal person , like as my friends do , and youd meet them as well .

So hope fully i,v given you some about my self and who i am .

...noeleena...

Somewhere out there, beneath the pale moonlight.
    Leigh,

At the biological level, studies long ago proved there are differences between the brains of women and the brains of men. More recently, scientists have been finding that transsexuals often have brain structures that are actually different from their genetic gender; thus, many do self-identify as female, although they otherwise have the biology of a male (or vice versa).

At the social level, though, most people are raised and enculturated according to their apparent gender. To deviate from expected behaviors is to draw ridicule, outright hatred, and punishment; for instance, boys who are not athletic and boisterous are often criticized as being effeminate. As a consequence of such social considerations, many who are TS do not receive any support in coming to terms with who they are and quite often repress this for years, even decades. To "fit in," many try to hide or deny this side of themselves, even going so far as to work at appearing hyper-masculine - going into the military, becoming firefighters, turning to fighting and hard drinking, etc. (and of course, marrying and having children) - to throw suspicions away from them.

(Fortunately, times are changing - somewhat. Before 50-60 years ago, people had few if any options for addressing these issues. Now, many begin dealing with them before they marry and have children, which affect so many other lives.)

Eventually, though, people come to realize, as Lorileah said, "You have only one person to be responsible to. Life is short and you don't know when it will end." This is why so many TSs begin to consider transitioning only after the age of 35 or 50 or 65.

While not universal, this is part of the back story of many who are TS.

But this is different from someone who is CD, like you, Leigh, or me. I have interacted with enough TSs in my life to know that they actually have the minds of women, something which is not true about me. One eye-opening moment for me was reading a letter to Ann Landers years ago in which the person said they were embarrassed having to use the boys' room at school - I never would have imagined such a thing before then and it drove home to me that this is someone with the mind of a woman.

For me, although I had dabbled a bit before puberty, my cross-dressing did not really take hold until I was in 7th grade. A few years later, I remember, I sat down and seriously thought about if I was meant to be a woman. I realized then that I was not and could not be a woman (to be blunt, I, like many CDs, was initially drawn to women's clothes for their erotic appeal). And this realization has held true the few times during the subsequent 40 years when I revisited the question.

And it's not just in the brain ...
    I joke that the only way I would want to be a woman is if I could only have the good parts of a woman's life. What Kelly Jameson said earlier is true for me:
    Men who crossdress seem to idolize women.
    Sure, I want to wear bras, pretty clothes and heels, but I know clothing is merely one aspect of women's lives. I readily admit that I personally am not equipped to deal with so much that are regular parts of their lives:
    - preparing breakfast for the kids,
    - getting them off to school,
    - dressing to certain expectations for a job,
    - being disrespected by too many of the men they work for and with,
    - being responsible after work to: plan meals through the weekend, shop for the groceries, change out of work clothes, prepare dinner, feed the dog, make sure the kids are doing their homework, get the laundry started, remind the kids to bathe before bed, check on how your aging mother is doing, listen to her concerns about your father's health after his doctor appointment today, move the laundry into the dryer, do the breakfast and dinner dishes, tell your son for the third time to move the garbage cans to the sidewalk, walk the dog (a happy task as it allows for some quiet time), go over notes for a meeting at work tomorrow, fold the laundry, sew a button on your husband's shirt to replace the one you noticed was missing, listen to your daughter as she defends why she should be able to stay out until 2 a.m. this coming Friday night,

and finally ...
    get ready for bed and lay down, but then have to deal with not only your hubby's advances but also his suggestion that tonight would be a good night to wear that skimpy piece of lingerie he gave you on Valentine's Day.

Nope, I do not have what it takes to be a woman. God bless them all - GGs and TSs.
    Last edited by ColleenA; 08-29-2014 at 05:34 AM.
    If only our families and friends could be as supportive as our bras!

The only thing in my eyes that a TS and a CD/TV have in common is that they were born in a male body and wear clothes designed for females.

The motives for each are so different it would need a whole internet forum to discuss... HEY-WAIT-A-MINUTE!!!
    Samantha -x-

[QUOTE=ColleenA;3584926]Leigh,
    "Sure, I want to wear bras, pretty clothes and heels, but I know clothing is merely one aspect of women's lives. I readily admit that I personally am not equipped to deal with so much that are regular parts of their lives:
    - preparing breakfast for the kids,
    - getting them off to school,
    - dressing to certain expectations for a job,
    - being disrespected by too many of the men they work for and with,
    - being responsible after work to: plan meals through the weekend, shop for the groceries, change out of work clothes, prepare dinner, feed the dog, make sure the kids are doing their homework, get the laundry started, remind the kids to bathe before bed, check on how your aging mother is doing, listen to her concerns about your father's health after his doctor appointment today, move the laundry into the dryer, do the breakfast and dinner dishes, tell your son for the third time to move the garbage cans to the sidewalk, walk the dog (a happy task as it allows for some quiet time), go over notes for a meeting at work tomorrow, fold the laundry, sew a button on your husband's shirt to replace the one you noticed was missing, listen to your daughter as she defends why she should be able to stay out until 2 a.m. this coming Friday night, "]

Hi Colleen:

For years I had to do all of the above as my SO worked shifts, so was often not there when our kids (two girls) were very young (babies up to middle school), so it was just me a lot of the time. To this day, I get home from work, walk the dog, plan and make dinner, clean up, etc, do the grocery shopping, laundry sometimes, (my SO does it normally, but sometimes life gets in the way and it gets backed up), my share of house cleaning etc. Yes, it is a lot of work for sure! My friends (both men and women) often joke that I am a good "wife" . To tell the truth, I look back on all of that and glad that it happened as my daughters and I are extremely close as a result. Even though they are all grown up with lives of their own, we talk often and about everything....that is awesome!

However, I do take your point, for sure. And yes, god bless women!
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Im really enjoying all these post and it so wonderful to see how many here have similar thoughts on this part of our lives. I know it is part of my brain and who knows why I love putting on a dress over pants or skirts and shaving my legs, I do and it feels good being here and able to say it.
    Im so glad this group is here at some point I hope I will be able to actually meet some of you here for a girls night or day but my circumstances prevent that for now.
    I made a promise to my wife about things like that and I will keep it.
    Hugs to all and keep posting your thoughts
    Leigh

Yes, science has discovered that MOST Male and female brains have specific differences. However, SOME do not! There are males who have 'female' brains, yet are perfectly normal males. And women who have 'male' brains who are normal females. So much for that theory. So, there's more going on there. We still don't know exactly what.
    The most interesting thing that I see on these forums, is the wide variety of people who are transsexual, and the wide variety of their past lives experiences. Some are born, then know that something's wrong as soon as they become self aware. For others, it takes years, or decades. Why? Maybe there is something genetic there, but it doesn't always get triggered. Perhaps an infectious disease makes some gene become active. Or makes one gene act on another to cause it. Or even a life experience, because as we now know, our experiences make changes in our brains, as new thoughts and memories do make physical changes in our brains at the molecular level. So basically, for transsexuals, there are lots of different ways to get there just as there are lots of different ways to become a crossdresser. It's like, how do you get from New York to LA? There are lots of different ways. Some people will have some things in common, like some will all take cars, planes or trains. Others will all travel an night. And others will all stop over in Chicago. But we all get there with an ever so slight different combination of ways. Same with where we wind up identifying our gender, at whatever age. It's a combination of everything we started with, along with everything we've experienced, psychologically and physically, along the way.
    The most difficult thing is to be able to examine yourself honestly, without letting wishful thinking get in the way. All too often I wind up reading about someone's transgender tale, and the thing that sticks out the most is that they want so much to be female....just because. Without much self introspection at all. Just that they really believe that they feel like a female. When, exactly, how could they know that? They've never been a female. What I hear most often is stereotypical beliefs of what men think females feel. Which, if you ask any real woman, is usually very wrong. So that brings up the question; Why do they think they're feeling like females? The answer is, we really don't know. Usually, anyway. I'm one of the fortunate ones who managed to figure out where my gender dysphoria came from.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    All too often I wind up reading about someone's transgender tale, and the thing that sticks out the most is that they want so much to be female....just because. Without much self introspection at all. Just that they really believe that they feel like a female.
    Actually, some of the most believable and authentic stories I've heard are from trans* people who've always just "known". No questions, no introspection - they just know who they are really supposed to be.

One only needs a lot of introspection if you are massively in denial about who they really are. (Don't feel bad, if so, because society gives you lotsa reason for denial!)

Gone
    I sometimes have to remind myself that I'm actually chatting to men and when I remember this, I freak out a little, lol.
    I guess one way of looking at this would be to recognize that with a TS, you're not talking to men and this comment might be seen by some to be trans phobic. On the other hand, would it make sense to examine what constitutes ones' filters for male and female characteristics? Perhaps, like a Turing test for a computer, what specifically allows a conversation with no gender cues to pass the GG to GG communication criteria without detection?

Banned Read only
    In all my years I do not think I have heard it explained so accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell-GG View Post
    Anyway, on a side note, I read something the other week that mentioned the male identified crossdresser is actually more masculine in appearance when crossdressed than not. Male features often stand out more in female clothing than male, and really, this can be true. Apparently (and this is just what I read!) many quietly enjoy this outcome as they KNOW they're male and that's pretty much the point - accentuating the gender/sex difference.
    Interesting side note nonetheless. One would think that a more masculine appearance is caused by the cross-dresser's skill level and how pronounced the particular masculine features really are, not so much by how they identify. However, it rings true in the sense that those who dress "for the clothes" might care more about wearing certain items and care less about conveying their (nonexistent) femininity.

As for the umpteenth attempt to specify this whole TS vs. CD thing: I don't feel like they're two sides of the same coin, insofar that many cross-dressers have more in common with cisgender people in terms of gender, or can be considered cisgender for most intents and purposes.

Banned Read only
    Many years ago psychological research led to the discovery that there is a spectrum, regarding sexuality, with completely heterosexual at one end and completely homosexual at the other with an infinite number of stops along the way. Similarly, we could apply this to the transgender spectrum; crossdressers at one end and post-op transsexuals at the other. There would still be an infinite number of stops along the way.

While all of us have gender disphoria to some extent, for crossdressers it is satisfied by underdressing or being completely en femme and going out in public or somewhere in between. However, at the other end of the spectrum, there is a severe psychological/physical mismatch that MUST be corrected. Mere crossdressing will not satisfy this need.

In most places, the process of transitioning requires considerable time, reflection and evaluation. For some it is obvious as to what needs to happen. For others, going through the process helps to clarify and crystalize what living as, and being, the opposite sex would do for them.

Anyway, this is what all of us probably face at some point. Are we comfortable as we are, or do we need to align the person we are with how we present? There is no shortcut to this answer and everyone's situation is just a bit different so it is hard to generalize.

Platinum Member
    Hi Leigh, To each their own, I never had any thoughts about TS, I am absolutely happy just being a CD, I feel that I have the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by BLUE ORCHID; 08-29-2014 at 08:47 PM.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I've looked through a few responses to this post and decided to edit mine. I was the only boy when I lived with my mother and two older sisters, and the only boy when I lived with my father, stepmother and four stepsisters. I remember when I was four or five, my older sisters dressed me up. I thought it was great and wished they never stopped. Later on, I would try on my stepsister's clothes from time to time. But there was more about me than just that.

Like some others, I was never really happy about my identity as a male. I believe in reincarnation and believe that 1. I was a female in a previous lifetime and 2. I would like to be a female in my next. I think it would be awesome if I just woke up one morning and was female. I would also consider the possibility of having the bottom end of a female transplanted into my body if there ever was such a thing. With the advances in anti-aging, it would be cool to have lived the first sixty years of my life as a male and the next 40 or 50 as a female. But.

But, but, but, but. While I was never happy with my identity as a male, who I was or how I fit into society, it took me many years to realize that I was a very unique and special person. I realize that I don't fit in as "one of the guys" and never will. I'm not good at or into sports, I'm not full of that masculine bravado that many men have and while I've been in charge of people when I worked, I could never be a dominate person. In a lot of ways, I act like a woman, but I've learned to embrace that. I think it's very liberating to have traveled to the very ends of one's soul and discover who you really are. Yes I love acting and dressing and acting like a woman, but at the same time I've learned to love the very special male that I am.

I started cross dressing on a very regular basis about four years ago. What I realized is that it's just fun. Pure and simple. I don't get dressed unless I dress all the way. A lot of times it takes an effort to do it, but I feel good about the result. I've gotten pretty good at makeup and putting outfits together. I plan on going out in public a lot more this year, since I am retired and just find this part of life so enjoyable.

My last girlfriend passed away in January. We weren't really a couple, we were more like brother and sister, or actually like sister and sister. She was not happy about me dressing, but she was certainly supportive of it. She helped me with a lot of things, including how to look, dress and act like a lady. Mind you like a lady my age and background would act. She didn't do it so much by telling me anything, but I learned watching and learning her attitudes. I learned how to manage money, take care of a home, shop, travel and do so many things that women seem to have a lock on. I kept some of her clothes that fit me. I had some of her rings re-sized and wear them in her honor. I also had my ears pierced and wear some of the earrings she go while we went on vacation in Mexico.

The last thing I can tell you is this. Be honest about who you are, what you believe in and your desires and dreams and above all keep an open mind. I was and still am. And because of that 2014 will be the best year ever of my life. I met a new girl and I told her about myself after about a month. She is accepting so far, and even encouraging me to get my ears pierced and so on. She even did my makeup and nails this week. But as the old saying goes, "If something is too good to be true, it usually is." I could be very lucky to have met this lady, but then again she might have ulterior motives. In the meantime, I'm being cautious with my hear and keeping an open mind and enjoying the time we have.
    Last edited by cassandra54; 09-01-2014 at 10:23 AM.
    man, i feel like a woman

You are a crossdresser if you experience women as "the other gender". This is a very male thing to do. In general men who are not misogynisitic and who are or have been sexually interested in women relate to them in very specific ways.

While I agree that there are some good nuggets of wisdom here, I think some of the comments about crossdressers do not ring true for me (speaking as a CD). The problem is that the realities of gender are not as simple as most of the world would like to think. A great model is the "genderbread person" ( http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/...d-person-v2-0/ ). This breaks down our understanding of gender into four components: gender identity, gender expression, biological sex, and who one is attracted to. Each one is a sliding scale, not a binary distinction.

Now what follows, is just my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt: when we use the word transexual, we mean someone who's gender identity is strongly opposite to their biological sex. They may or may not choose a very feminine gender expression. A crossdressder is someone who's biological sex is on the male end of the spectrum, gender expression is (at times, possibly only behind closed doors) very feminine, and who's gender identity is either more man or somewhere near the middle. Personally, I feel that I fit in the middle, and have come to think that the term "bi-gendered" describes me well. I think a lot of the other CDs on this forum are in a similar place, and this may be what Tinkerbell is noticing when she says it feels "like a fellow GG writing."

Jamie
    Last edited by JamieG; 09-01-2014 at 11:40 AM. Reason: fixed typo