Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do They Think

Banned Read only

What Do They Think

Your thoughts from your encounters, knowledge from reading and interacting and whatever experiences you might have had. I'm trying to understand mainly the acceptance factor of women when they see males wearing female clothing or wanting to. Teenagers get off on seeing a CD and laughing and making fun even though we all know how crazy they can dress. As posted on this forum one woman in her early twenties (just out of her teens) was just fine with her new boyfriend wearing panties and was very much interested in helping him shop for girl clothes, makeup, etc. Another post that's presently on here tells how a CD's wife in her forties is also accepting, like it doesn't turn me off or matter one little bit what you wear. Then theirs the fifties and sixties, what do they think. If women of any age sees a man in the grocery store or where ever in clearly some piece or pieces of women clothing what do they think. Have females accepted that some men wear female clothing and it might be on the rise rather than seeing it once in a life time. Help me try to understand what women think when they see a male wearing female clothing.

Reality Check
    What do women think when they see a male wearing female clothing? They think he is gay or wants to become a woman. That's what the majority of people (male or female) think.

You can also reverse that and think what do you think when you see a woman in men's attire. I've seen them in men's work clothes to wearing men's suits. I don't give a rats rear what they wear but some in our society do. Remember these words are from a guy that not out yet because of location and family and so on.

Most people think nothing seeing women in men's styled clothing.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Without a doubt there is a double standard when it comes to what men and women wear, women wear pretty much whatever they want and no one cares. However a man in a skirt who's presenting as a man and he's a freak.
    For me to wear the women's styles it just makes sense to present as a women so I can bend and not be seen so much as a man or freak

I'll suggest their thoughts are not based on gender, age, or any other demographic. Their thoughts are as diverse as the people themselves. If you're looking for a proven, statistical, absolute measurement...fergetaboutit.

Karen

Platinum Member
    Hi Deebra, The last part of your question can have a million different answers, Depending on how many people you ask.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

there's no knowing, and it does not matter what "they" think anyway.
    99% of the time they also think they are the centre of the world and the horrible truth is no-one is paying attention.
    In fact the more outrageous you are, the less hidden you are, the more accepted, the more "not even see" you get. Paradoxical but true imho.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

what do people think? How long do you want the bridge? Everyone thinks differently
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Deebra, you cannot generalize. I don't think there is such a thing as "what most women think" because our population is so very diverse and also what women think is influenced by how well they know the CDer or how much impact the CDer has on the woman's life, and also the degree of your CDing.

• The women you do not know and run into while out dressed: some women will approve to varying degrees, some won't to varying degrees, and some just won't care, they'll have a "whatever" attitude to seeing men whom they do not know dress like a woman. Will these women want to get to know you better? That depends on their age, background, open-mindedness, and many other factors.

• The women you do know: again, it depends on whether they are open-minded or not. It depends on how much they like you. People who like you a lot might be more open-minded than people who don't, again depending on how liberal or conservative are their views of gender and sexual variance and also the type of relationship have with you, and the degree of your CDing.

• Women on dating sites: if you dress as a woman in your profile, some women will pass by and not want to contact you, some women will see something else in your profile they might think is worth getting to know, and some women will be intrigued just because you're a CDer.

Also, all of the above is influenced by what you mean, exactly, by "wearing female clothing or wanting to". Are you just talking about a pair or panties under male clothes and/or a pair of women's jeans and Tshirt but are presenting as a male, or are you thinking feminine outfit with breast forms, shoes, wig, makeup, etc. If a woman has more negative views than positive ones about CDers, she will likely be more OK with you presenting as a male and wearing panties or a pair of women's jeans than dressing in the full regalia. And in the "wanting to" part of your statement, the disapproving women are more OK with you "wanting to" (and dressing when they are not around), than actually wearing the clothes around them. But, if a woman does approve, then often it's a question of how much and how often. More women will be OK with occasional dressing than full time.

Or, if you're thinking more along the lines of dressing in the bedroom as a kink while appearing as a male outside the bedroom, I think that a lot of women are open to that but again, this depends on many factors including how much they like you, their background, their libido and whether or not they see the CDing as just a harmless bedroom kink vs. something deeper.

To every one, re women wearing men's clothes:
    Please stop imagining, in your mind's eye, the stereotypical butch lesbian who might in fact wear men's clothes purchased in men's stores. She does not represent the vast majority of women. Instead, look around at what the women you see every day are wearing. Look at your neighbor. Look at women at the mall and the grocery stores. Look at the women you work with at your company's summer picnic. Examine their clothes and tell me if you think they bought them in men's stores. Next, tell me how you know that their clothes were not bought in men's stores. This is how you will learn that there is a difference between women's casual clothes and men's clothes.
    Reine

I don't know what they think. And it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is what they do. As long as they're polite and call me "ma'am" I'm happy.

Banned Read only
    Good answer ReineD, pamela7, love your second sentence!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    No way of knowing unless you ask them.
    Personally I could care less what people think of me or how I dress.

We tend to worry of what others think way too much. We worry about it and frankly it doesn't matter. What you think of yourself is what matters. With that said, what others think is really none of our business unless it's said directly to us.
    Just be you and to hades with the the rest.
    Candi
    Perfection Is a Road Not a Destination

Reality Check
    It does matter because some people will give us grief for dressing like a woman. Some people will beat us up. Crossdressers and transsexuals (the public doesn't know the difference) have even been killed for dressing like a woman.

It is a mistake to think that nobody cares. Some people do and in a negative way.

Generally I find most average women/girls find it fine if the guy is just a friend or an acquaintance, when emotions get attached then it is a different kettle of fish.
    The ones who find it strange or wrong in my opinion are usually quite religious, elderly or both
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    The common thought of a man dressed up as a woman, by the general public, is that he is gay and/or wants a sex-change.
    I've had positive experiences from a lady-friend I showed pictures of me dressed up.
    I've also had great experiences from SA's when out en femme, I'm hoping that it was from being so passable. At one store some a group of young people came in. I was hoping they wouldn't make their way to where I was trying on heels whilst dressed up. However, they eventually did and seemingly didn't notice me.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

This is what is on television where my wife is from. The individual on the left is a major TV talk show host there and he crossdresses or dresses genderqueer all the time. Some cultures are more accepting than others.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    ...To every one, re women wearing men's clothes:
    Please stop imagining, in your mind's eye, the stereotypical butch lesbian who might in fact wear men's clothes purchased in men's stores. She does not represent the vast majority of women. Instead, look around at what the women you see every day are wearing. Look at your neighbor. Look at women at the mall and the grocery stores. Look at the women you work with at your company's summer picnic. Examine their clothes and tell me if you think they bought them in men's stores. Next, tell me how you know that their clothes were not bought in men's stores. This is how you will learn that there is a difference between women's casual clothes and men's clothes...
    I know that this is a pet peeve of yours, Reine, and one that you've expressed on numerous occasions and in various other posts. Yes, we get it - the "men's" clothes that most women happily wear are are feminized versions of the male equivalent, allowing for the different body proportions that women have and sometimes specifically tailored to be form-fitting and to hug the curves that some might possess. But it doesn't address the question of why the fascination with male-inspired clothing when the real deal is so bland and boring compared to the choices they have available to them amongst their traditionally female wardrobes.

Why this constant reference to "menswear", "the boyfriend jacket", "boy shorts", "boy cut jeans", and "borrowed from the boys" etc., as though fashion inspired by what men typically wear is somehow aspirational and the Holy Grail of avant-garde fashion? The equivalent really doesn't exist on the male side, and I have yet to see kilts being advertised to Scotsmen on the basis of having a style "borrowed from the girls" to somehow make them must-have items of clothing.

I think the real answer is that we crossdressers still tend to fetishize female clothing as being the forbidden fruit that society typically denies us through peer pressure, so wearing these items gives us a high because it is so deliciously subversive and allows us to thumb our noses at convention, even if done in secret. And of course, the secondary "rush" is the omnipresent risk of potentially being "caught" in the act at any moment, which the adrenalin junkies among us really get off on.

For women, there is little of that sexual stimulation involved in wearing male-inspired clothing. For them, it's all about "empowerment", and continuing to break down the walls of whatever male bastions still exist. Of course, the irony here lies in the way that more and more transgender male models are successfully infiltrating the female fashion scene these days, and how some of the TG beauty pageants (especially those in Thailand and the Philippines) are starting to rival the more traditional Miss Universe-style pageants. And now, the gals are starting to cry out "no fair" when they see the type of entitlement which they were always used to slowly beginning to erode away...

What's good for the goose...

Teenagers in a mob can be the worst, for anybody. Young, old, straight, gay, CD, fashion victim, anybody. Not all, it depends on how well they were brought up, and how much their own particular situation makes them desire the approval of the group. Some, growing number at least around here, are pretty good for the most part. For adults alcohol can make a big difference, but again, it depends on the individual, booze, reduces inhibitions and suppresses judgement, if you're not too inclined to be inhibited, and don't have much judgement normally, well........ Where you are in the world, how religious people are, how much they like poking their noses in to other peoples business, it all influences the behaviour and response. I feel fortunate myself, people are for the most part law abiding in this neck of the woods, the police are pretty much on the ball and pretty fair minded. I am pretty sure a noticeable percentage of those I interact with on a daily basis think I'm a least a little weird, but as long as I'm polite, do my job to the best of my ability, they just let me get on with it. I know a good number, I think a majority, approve, many have said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeighR View Post
    However a man in a skirt who's presenting as a man and he's a freak.
    Haven't been called a freak yet, at least to my face. What they say amongst themselves is irrelevant, as long as my SO, my friends and family, and my employers don't have issues, then it's all good.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

my wife agrees with alice that the first thought people have is that cd is gay and also with krisi wrt to safety. personally i am in there with pamela. as a good looking mature CD i feel confident in my look and feel that being older makes me more invisible. i have had only one less than wonderful interaction and while that was hurtful it was really a nothing thing. i really do not care what others think. i am who i am and proud of it
    jennifer

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    I guess it really depends on the women.....most women i have met in public have been super kool...supportive even...i even met one in the womens bathroom who said "I love what you are doing" Girls come up to me alot en femme and show support or compliment...I only once heard a negative comment, and this came out in the vanilla world at a 4th of july fireworks show when one women utterd under her breath "Thats crazy"....but my question is 'Why do YOU care what other people ( complete strangers btw) think of YOU. The more visable we are, the easier it is for the next girl....so....your welcome xoxo

My wife is a Christian in hr mid sixties. She could not care less, bless her!
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    I know that this is a pet peeve of yours, Reine, and one that you've expressed on numerous occasions and in various other posts. Yes, we get it -
    I only bring it up when people before me have made the comments. I take it they just don't get it, so I'm trying to help. (You and others who have been here for awhile can skip that part of my post ... it's not meant for people who know better).

But it doesn't address the question of why the fascination with male-inspired clothing when the real deal is so bland and boring compared to the choices they have available to them amongst their traditionally female wardrobes.
    Because the clothes are more comfortable.

Why this constant reference to "menswear", "the boyfriend jacket", "boy shorts", "boy cut jeans", and "borrowed from the boys" etc., as though fashion inspired by what men typically wear is somehow aspirational and the Holy Grail of avant-garde fashion?
    I don't really know, but I take it that "boyfriend's jacket" harkens back to the days when wearing a boyfriend's letter jacket or school ring indicated that a couple was going steady. It's a romantic notion, more for younger than older women. "Boy shorts" are named this way because the cut is closer to men's shorts than panties, and they are super comfortable to wear not to mention there are no panty lines, plus they don't ride up as much. "Boy cut jeans" (although, I see "boot cut jeans" not "boy cut jeans") may have to do with the fact that women have made huge inroads in what was traditionally considered men's work and educational fields, and this is reflected in changing styles. Women want to be taken seriously for their abilities, they no longer want to play the 1950s housewife role, and so maybe they are drawn to less "frilly" or "girly" things ... all while retaining their femininity of course. But women will buy jeans that look good on them, no matter what they're called. lol
    Last edited by ReineD; 09-10-2015 at 05:18 AM.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by deebra View Post
    Help me try to understand what women think when they see a male wearing female clothing.
    You want to know what ALL women think about a subject. Well, it's hard enough to get even two women to agree on something, much less all of them. Each woman is an individual. If you want a generalization, Krisi says it plain and simple:
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    What do women think when they see a male wearing female clothing? They think he is gay or wants to become a woman. That's what the majority of people (male or female) think.
    The 'tolerance factor' is rising; most people will happily ignore you unless you get in their face. The 'acceptance factor' is still extremely low, however, as about 90% would rather not have you involved in their lives given the choice, it's just the 'not in my backyard' situation; they don't mean you any harm, but just would prefer not to have to deal with oh, for example, trying to explain you to their children. And exponentially lower is the 'attraction factor', i.e., how may women are turned on by a man who crossdresses. Does that help you understand? Or were you hoping that someone would tell you that now it's the 21st century, and 80% of women would love to date a crossdresser if they could only find one. Dream on, or wake up from your dream. Nothing's changed. Half the world will want to kill you if you wander around in a dress because it offends their god or themselves, the rest will just laugh, or smile politely and laugh later once out of earshot. You're in America, be happy that you only have first world problems to worry about. Now go on ebay, and pick out a lovely custom made dress that you can have made for less than $100 by some poor seamstress who works 24/7 over in China in a sweatshop.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.