Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Housewife"

"Housewife"

Does anybody else have the desire to be a "housewife" for a woman?
    By "housewife" I don't just mean sitting at home looking pretty.
    This includes all the work involved in keeping up a home (chores, errands, cooking, etc.).

I actually prefer my wife to be one, but that's just me. Funny how into traditional gender roles I am at first glance. The only household chore I do unbidden is cooking.

I'm retired and my wife still works. That makes me the housewife.

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    that's a bit of an antiquated notion. the women in my life that i have had a relationship prefer it when the housework is shared. It is neither woman's work or that of a housewife.

Call us old-fashioned, but one morning I came home and she'd cleaned the whole house, and says to me, "you know, I really like just being the housewife." It's like the only way she can relax is through cleaning, so I let her.I don't look down on it as "woman's work," heavens no. I just work long hours, she doesn't, so she does most of the chores to pass the time.

(however, since the newborn came, I'm mr. housewife. I should have pointed this out. I take care of her while she breastfeeds. He's a slow eater, so she's kinda immobilized 24/7. Would if I could grow mammaries to share that chore, too)

I'm sorry, I seem to have hijacked this thread. *steps off soapbox*...

I sort of am the current housewife. My wife works full time while I stay home and take care of our daughter and do all the house work, shopping and cooking.....and I still have to do the yard as well. All I need now are the girl clothes and to join a mothers group.

the happy camper
    I'm the stay-at-home parent in our family. I take care of the kids, homeschool them, and drive them to their extra-curricular activities. I also do the laundry, the dishes, and the other household chores with some help from the kids, and occasionally from my wife. My wife does most of the cooking because she enjoys it more, and is better at it, but I do the prep work--cutting up the veggies and the meat.

I love being here with the kids, but I hate doing housework. The one goes with the other, though, so I do it. I've told my wife that I'd enjoy it a lot more if I could dress like June Cleaver every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie86 View Post
    I've told my wife that I'd enjoy it a lot more if I could dress like June Cleaver every day.
    If June Cleaver is the all American housewife, does this mean I have to dress like the all Australian housewife?

dame_edna_0[1].jpg

I totally love engaging in organizing and making home a smooth running, clean and safe environment it always should be. Since my HRT I have become even more desiring of such important role and I think my prayers have been answered. After talking with my sister and her hubby we sort of agreed that because my sister is tired of her position of Household CEO, she would not mind giving up such responsibilities in place of fun job and electing me to the responsibility, knowing how I can improve and manage above.
    I would love this, and would feel fulfilled and desired for whom I truly am.
    I so hope to go there soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha Scott View Post
    If June Cleaver is the all American housewife, does this mean I have to dress like the all Australian housewife?

dame_edna_0[1].jpg
    LMAO
    Or you could be the All-Brit Housewife,

I'm learning.....also "retired" here but not doing all the housework but am working towards doing it all. And, btw I love it

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I'd switch roles with my stay at home wife in a heartbeat. Of course I'd embellish the situation with pearls, heels and a smart housekeeping dress like June Cleaver. Oh yeah!!

I'd love it full time.I do it part time how and love it hun.
    Angie

the happy camper
    Quote Originally Posted by Erika_bagels View Post
    LMAO
    Or you could be the All-Brit Housewife,
    She looks a bit like Benny Hill in drag.

Who is she, and who's the Australian lady?

---

I love June's look, but I'd have to have a lot more dresses before I'd be willing to risk getting dirt, food, or bleach stains on one of mine doing stupid housework.

Gold Member
    Absolutely...........NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kiddin?????????? I guess I'm just more career oriented.

...and who's the Australian lady?
    Dame Edna Everage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dame_Edna_Everage who is actually Barry Humphies in everyday life. "Humphries has regularly updated Edna, originally a drab Melbourne, Australia housewife satirising the conservatism of Australian suburbia, the character adopted an increasingly outlandish wardrobe after being performed in London in the 1960s, and grew in stature and popularity."

Hmmmm, this could be fun every now and then, but she would have to like me in my version of a "French maid" outfit. :P
    "I am not altogether on anyone's side as no one is all together on my side"
    Tree beard. Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.

My wife and I have flip-flopped jobs and careers over the years and she is the primary breadwinner now. I happen to hate my current job and would stay home and keep house in a minute!!!! In a minute!

June Cleaver. . .you bet ya! I've always said that when I grew up I wanted to be Ward Cleaver. I just happen to want to look like June some of the time!

Not really. I want to be the woman who hires a maid to do all my work!!
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    As a widower I don't have any choice! I have to be the "housewife," or the work doesn't get done! That said, I will add that if two people are living together they should always share the household duties!! Those duties were not meant for women(GG's) only!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Quote Originally Posted by darla_g View Post
    that's a bit of an antiquated notion. the women in my life that i have had a relationship prefer it when the housework is shared. It is neither woman's work or that of a housewife.
    I love that attitude! I agree! But I live alone, so that makes me my own housewife!! i think!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

the happy camper
    Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Not really. I want to be the woman who hires a maid to do all my work!!
    Can I get an 'amen'?

I think it's kinda chauvinistic to equate women with housework. Doing stuff like cooking or cleaning wouldn't make me feel any more or less feminine.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha Scott View Post
    I sort of am the current housewife. My wife works full time while I stay home and take care of our daughter and do all the house work, shopping and cooking.....and I still have to do the yard as well. All I need now are the girl clothes and to join a mothers group.
    What you have is my ideal. I am jealous. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pythos View Post
    Hmmmm, this could be fun every now and then, but she would have to like me in my version of a "French maid" outfit. :P
    I like the idea of being a housewife in a "French maid" outfit.
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 06-21-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Merged - Please use the multi quote button

She looks a bit like Benny Hill in drag.

Who is she, and who's the Australian lady?
    Benny Hill here is Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced bouquet) from BBC Britcom "Keeping up Appearances". She's a dreadfully stuffy old bat, and reminds me of my mother.