Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Out

Banned Read only

Out

I sat down with my wife this afternoon, and told her I was transgendered.

I'll paraphrase, because I'm just not comfortable sharing what I wrote to everyone, but if you are interested in the text of what I wrote, PM me. I didn't exactly stay to script, anyway - as might be expected, the conversation had a life of its own.

I started out by telling her how much I loved her, and that I was still sober. She had no doubts of either of those things. But I told her I mentioned sobriety, because I'm sure she'd noticed, and been worried, about my anxiety, negativity, and paranoia over the past few months.

I told her that we'd worked together over the start of this year to solve the financial matter I was concerned about, and that while that helped with my anxiety, it didn't make it go away, and in fact, it had gotten worse.

She allowed that she'd noticed this, and had been worried. I then told her that about a month ago, I'd found a therapist, and started counseling, and apologized for not telling her, because I was so ashamed. She didn't think a therapist was anything to be ashamed of -- so then I told her.

Honey, there's no good way to say this, so I'm just going to say it. I have realized in the course of therapy, and in talking to people on an internet forum, that I am transgendered.

There is a part of me, in my mind, that feels female - maybe a big part. I don't understand all this yet, but I know that fighting this is a big source of my anxiety.

Her immediate response surprised me, and was more positive than I'd expected - she was worried that she might have unknowingly said things that made me feel bad, and that I didn't need to feel ashamed. She was not feeling deceived - she mentioned this several times.

I then told her:
    - I still feel the same way about her, I love her more than anything
    - I'm not gay (she allowed she never doubted that)
    - I don't want a sex change
    - This isn't some kinky sex thing
    - This isn't something I've chosen, and this probably isn't going away.
    - I don't want her to lose the man she loves.
    - I do need to express my femininity sometimes.

I then went on to tell her I'd had feelings like this a couple of other times in my life, but that I'd suppressed them, and blamed them on my alcoholism. I told her those were lies, and that I felt horrible about hiding this from her.

She told me that an apology wasn't needed - I was hiding it from myself too, she understood that. I was really afraid that she wouldn't.

I told her how much I admired her own personal honesty, and that I really admired her as a person, and that was part of what made me feel so terrible about hiding something from her.

I told her that I'd started wearing a few items of women's clothes over the past year, and a lot more over the past 2-3 months. She was really surprised that I'd purchased anything for myself, and wanted to know "Where are they?" So I told her I'd concealed them in my home office.

I had a lot more apology lined up - I really do feel badly for not telling her sooner - but I also told her that I considered waiting longer to tell her, until I understood this better. But I felt that she was already seeing changes, and that my emotional state was worse than I'd let on, and it was unfair for her not to know these things - I didn't want to torture her by making her endlessly speculate on what was going on with me.

So I told her that I needed some things:
    - for her to keep loving me, I couldn't bear to lose her
    - for her to try to find some acceptance in her heart for this part of me
    - that I needed time and space to explore these feelings - I couldn't bottle them up anymore. She understand this. I told her I don't want her to be uncomfortable, so I want to find compromises we can both live with.
    - I didn't want to do anything to damage her status in our community, we should keep this a secret. She agreed.
    - Again, if things change at home, and I think they may a little, I want to talk about what's comfortable for both of us.

She told me she thought my shaving my legs was a phase, or a sex thing, and that it would pass. I allowed that actually, I wouldn't be sorry to see more of my bodily hair go away. This really bothered her. (I regret saying anything about that.)

She wished I'd given her more notice - but she knew if I'd said "hon, we need to talk about something serious later," she'd wanted to have done it right then. And I told her I wanted her to have a quiet afternoon, and a day off work the next day, so if she felt really terrible, she had some time to herself. I think she'll need that, too.

As the implications of all this sank in, I think she became angry about the situation. Not so much angry with me - I think she understands I don't really want this either, I just have it. But the idea of a more feminine me really bothers her right now. She's worried that this will affect the intimate part of our relationship, and be the beginning of the end of our relationship. I told her I worried about these things too, and that I was dedicated to trying to find a way to avoid these problems, because I loved that part of our relationship too, and felt it was extremely important.

For now I think she's just trying to absorb this and come to terms with it. This is really hard, and she has no desire to see me wearing any feminine article. She understands that I need to explore this, but she doesn't want to see it, at least not now, and possibly not ever.

I think she's very afraid that we'll reach some impasse though, where we can't reconcile our differences over this, and I'll either cave in to her, and self destruct, or it will be more than she can bear. What do we do in that case? All I could do is tell her that I wanted to avoid that too, and I'd work together with her to keep that from happening.

So for now, it's Don't Ask, Don't Tell. I told her this was fine, and a pretty normal reaction to terrible news like this. I told her NOT to feel bad about this. Maybe in time she'd change her mind, maybe not, but that I knew she needed time to process this, maybe a lot of time.

I'm quite worried that she feel isolated now. I think she needs someone to talk with besides me. I suggested a counselor or therapist. She's afraid of telling any of our local friends - that just wouldn't be smart - and she's afraid to talk with anyone in her family, lest they decide I'm a horrible person.

I know we both want things to work out, and we both want to try to work things out. But I think this is the biggest problem we've ever faced as a couple, and we may not make it. I am by no means certain of this.

Because I feel I know my wife really, really well, and wonderful, caring, honest, tolerant and accepting as she is - she wants to be married to a masculine man. I may well change into someone she may still like really well, but is unable to be married to.

I found, by the end of it, that I was wishing I was telling her I had cancer, rather than that I was transgendered. She could've talked to her friends and found more support for that. But no, I told her this, and have introduced her to the isolation I've always known. I hate that she has to go through that.

I hate this, so much.

You did "the next right thing", my friend.
    "Don't hate me just for wanting to feel beautiful."

I also think you did the right thing. It is hard for someone to get their head around something like this. I mean it is something I have lived with for over 50 years and I have a hard time getting it sometimes. Just don't change anything for a while. Stay the same and do the things you normally do around her for a while and let it sink in.

But then who am I to give relationship advice. I never have been able to get it right.
    Last edited by Angela Campbell; 04-07-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Aspiring Member
    Paula, I hate this aspect about myself and wish I had just been born genetically female. You are very lucky though! Your wife seems to be very supportive. And the very best thing is that you were openly honest with her and not hiding the feelings you've been supressing. We know there comes a time when the dam will burst and everything comes out. You've also shown that you want to protect her and her feelings, and try to make this as easy as it can be for her. You'll have a lot of respect from all of us here just for that---you're not being selfish, but instead demonstrating your love for her. It may take some time for her to digest all of this, but grant her all the time she needs. It seems like you'll both continue to have a loving relationship and I pray that it be so. I just want to say that I have an ex-wife who cut me loose, and now a second wife who totally loves and accepts me and will allow me to make any changes I need to make. I hope my reality is unlike your's and you and your wife can take each day a step at a time to fully realize how happy you both can be. You've done the right thing with openess and honesty. I pray that through any hurt, you will both find healing. PM me if your wife would like to speak with my angel.

Cheryl Ann

Congrats, PaulaQ. Let her absorb what you've told her for a month or two. If she hasn't raised the issue after that time, a gentle probe about how she feels about it may be in order.

In the meantime, it likely isn't a good idea for her to see you dressed. Same goes for removing more body hair or other changes.

My heart understands her struggle. You did the right thing, telling her and being so open. The what if's will drive both of you crazy if you let it. I can't speak for her, or your relationship, because we are all different. But I can speak from a place and a relationship that IS working. It can work, and two peoplle who love each other as much as you two seem to, can make it work, and make it work together. I would be happy to be the person she reaches out to if she needs that. PM me if you want my email.
    If it's easy, it's not worth it.

That took a lot of courage. I don't think congratulations are quite right but you did a tough thing and its impressive.

Banned Read only
    Paula, now you CAN move forward. Don't write off anything yet. Just keep talking.

Congratulations for opening the conversation. I felt such an incredible sense of relief after I did and no longer had to feel like I was living a lie. Sounds like you're doing the right thing giving her time & space. Hopefully she will come to terms with it.

Paula my heart goes out for you and your wife. Sometimes wives can be stronger than we give them credit for, as I hope this will be in your case.
    I've come to the conclusion that it's none of my business what other people's opinion of me is.

On yahoo if u wanna chat

Paula, this is a very hard thing to do. She is thinking it over now. I truly hope this works out. Let me know if you need to talk.

I applaud you for doing this extremely difficult thing, opening up honestly to her. I have read of other cders, whose wives were not too pleased about it at first, but over time, came to accept it, and even enjoy it. But, that is not always the way the story ends. I empathize with you. It will not be very easy for a while, and what you said could happen, may happen. I suffer great anxiety too, and am sorry that i told a number of church friends, who told others, and now i am not so close anymore. I am pretty much of a loner now. Even though i don't dress that often. I hope your wife will be willing to at least check into this site, to learn. One day at a time. Easy does it. Alice

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Torn View Post
    I suffer great anxiety too, and am sorry that i told a number of church friends, who told others, and now i am not so close anymore.
    Those friends that you are not so close with anymore were NEVER real friends because they can't accept you as you are. We don't needs friends like that because they are not real friends. Telling friends is a good way to determine who your real friends are.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

Banned Read only
    First thanks all for the support, well-wishes, and kindness all of you show me. I love you all!

A brief update: We made dinner together, and we're going to watch some TV in a while. This is a good sign. Dinner turned out really good, actually. It was pleasant actually. I am going to make an effort to make all the other parts of our marriage great.

She is probably still somewhat in shock, and maybe a little in denial, although I told her all this, she mentioned feeling anger too. (She should be angry too - this situation sucks!)

For now, I am not going to push this issue, change anything visible to her, and continue on in DADT fashion.

I'm hopeful she'll eventually check this (or some other) forum. I don't know that she will though. I'm not going to push that either, other than to encourage her to find someone to talk to about this. She can't go through this alone.

Aspiring Member
    Paula, the obvious and safest advice I can give is to take it slow. Your wife has to get used to this. Hopefully she can accept all of this. You might consider over-compensating by bending over backwards to do many things to show your appreciation? I've let my wife take over our finances and "wear the pants" around here! Usually the guy is dominant in a relationship. But there are gals who would love to be in charge! Think about how that might help your relationship. I do almost all the housework around here. Wouldn't your wife love to be releived of those responsibilities? I love taking care of our house knowing I can be dressed knowing I'm the perfect housewife, and I love it because it feels right for me! Your mileage may vary.

Cheryl Ann

Way to go, Paula. I hope, given time, there's a clear way forward. I reckon it's better to be straight up about things, but it sucks hurting those we love. Keep demonstrating what she means to you, as much as you can.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Ann Owens View Post
    You might consider over-compensating by bending over backwards to do many things to show your appreciation? I've let my wife take over our finances and "wear the pants" around here! Usually the guy is dominant in a relationship. But there are gals who would love to be in charge!
    This is a good suggestion, but I think it would be wrong in our situation. I think I need a chainsaw and to go clear some trees. She wants a man, and she wants me to wear the pants. I knew this going in to tell her.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulaQ View Post
    I'm quite worried that she feel isolated now. I think she needs someone to talk with besides me. I suggested a counselor or therapist. She's afraid of telling any of our local friends - that just wouldn't be smart - and she's afraid to talk with anyone in her family, lest they decide I'm a horrible person.
    That's probably a good thought because you don't want to create a situation where other relationships (family and friends) could be compromised. You know, if we don't fully understand how all of this plays out for us, how can we expect others to know? Those who might not be predisposed to be sympathetic and tolerant may always look at you differently. You'll always be a question mark. Hopefully as you and your wife sort things out, it will be a different story. But, for now, you just don't need the extra complications.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaQ View Post
    I know we both want things to work out, and we both want to try to work things out. But I think this is the biggest problem we've ever faced as a couple, and we may not make it. I am by no means certain of this.
    My wife and I are right there with you, Paula!

Banned Read only
    We talked again, about halfway through watching Mad Men.

She did tell me that she told someone about this - I think we can trust them, and this person will have resources that can help her. I am glad - I don't want her to deal with this alone.

She wanted to know, again, if this is some type of sex thing, if she was doing something wrong, if I watched her to learn to be a girl.

She is realizing that if she can't accept this, that everything in her life that she's ever wanted, where we are right now, is over. (I'm not demanding this - I want to avoid getting to that point.)

She hates this. Maybe I should quit shaving for a while, she really hates it. She's afraid she's hurting me too. At least we are both worried about the other.

After the show, I told her I loved her as she went to bed, and she started crying.

I think I grieviously wounded my marriage today. I may have killed it.

Banned Read only
    Any wounds, even the tiniest of cuts take at least several days to heal. And this was no tiny cut. I think if she sleeps a few nights and wakes up in the morning with you still beside her, just like always, she'll begin to see that life goes on and it isn't the end of the world. I think it's a good sign that she told someone already but the cat is out of the bag for sure now.

Might turn out to be a good thing IF her friend doesn't think it an insurmountable problem.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildaboutheels View Post
    Might turn out to be a good thing IF her friend doesn't think it an insurmountable problem.
    I trust her friend. She's a civil and gay rights activist. Her own family won't speak to her - hasn't spoken to her in years because she's married to a woman. I think she'll help.

I really don't care what happens to me here. I'm more worried about my wife. I wish I hadn't done this to her.

Paula... there is only one thing I can say OK three
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Wow Paula, you look so much better now that load of bricks are off your shoulders! Congratulations, and best wishes for what lies ahead!
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-